The Wire

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ZomBiE_HunTER
Wo have heard of this show I saw the first Ep. and I have to say I enjoy it.What do u guys think about it.

papabeard
I like this show, have only seen 3 episodes but i want to see more.

Thought they tried a bit to hard in the 1st ep with all the swearing, but that settled down, cant wait to see the rest. I like the way it follows a huge investigation throughout the series as opposed to a different story each week, allows for more depth and character development.

papabeard
Watched a few more, on episode 8 now, its really good.

The story develops slowly over the series , so its not full of action, theres alot of dialogue and its funny too. Its kind of underplayed , so is more gritty and realistic than your average cop show.

For me its better than all the previous american cop shows i have seen recently, like The Shield, the one with vincent donofrio and CSI etc...

papabeard
Watched them all and I have to say I enjoyed it, it doesnt follow the usual cliched storylines of other TV cop shows, this is the Daddy.

When is the 2nd season out on DVD?

papabeard
The show deserves more respect and more posts, anyone else like this show?

Its not very well known here in the UK, is it succesfull in America?

Inspectah Deck
I like the show too. Cunning plot

Tired Hiker
Originally posted by papabeard
Watched a few more, on episode 8 now, its really good.

The story develops slowly over the series , so its not full of action, theres alot of dialogue and its funny too. Its kind of underplayed , so is more gritty and realistic than your average cop show.

For me its better than all the previous american cop shows i have seen recently, like The Shield, the one with vincent donofrio and CSI etc...

You are absolutely right! I just fisnished the first season on DVD, oh my god, what a great show. I like how the structure spreads out over the season, they don't necessarily have climactic endings in each episode. For instance, I believe episode three begins with a huge climax that would normally occur at the end of say episode two, but it doesn't. This allows for a more realistic feel. I can't wait to get season two on netflix! Good job, HBO!

Tired Hiker
You gotta love Omar! What a great character!

papabeard
Cant wait, the 2nd series is released on October 10th, it's already on my rental list.

I think my Favourite chracters are the quiet old guy who does the armoire, Bubbs and D'angelo.

However if you listen to the commentary from the first series it gives away what happens to D'Angelo

Its also been recommissioned for a 4th series.

Tired Hiker
Its also been recommissioned for a 4th series.

Yessssssssss! smile

Tired Hiker
Oh man, I just watched the episode where D'Angelo Barksdale is assassinated in prison! OMG, I almost cried.

Then, I watched that same episode with the 'commentay', it was classic! Dominic West (McNulty) and the guy who plays Omar are the narrators. Good times. Very insightful. I highly recommend it.

papabeard
Yeah I just finished watching the 2nd series, its was really good, but not as good as the first.

The killing you refer to, also kind of came out of the blue, no real build up or anything, very effective. Stringer is an evil man.

The show is brilliantly and realistically cast no overly attractive people, just people with character. Its not slick and glossy like CSI. Also the acting is very good. Also there are no real solutions in that the story could just carry on forever and I hope it does.

Nay sayer
I like this show, have only seen 3 episodes but i want to see more.

Thought they tried a bit to hard in the 1st ep with all the swearing, but that settled down, cant wait to see the rest. I like the way it follows a huge investigation throughout the series as opposed to a different story each week, allows for more depth and character development.

That's true the first episode was ridiculous with the swearing but it eventually calmed down. I think that they're on the third season now

Tired Hiker
Yeah I just finished watching the 2nd series, its was really good, but not as good as the first.

The killing you refer to, also kind of came out of the blue, no real build up or anything, very effective. Stringer is an evil man.

The show is brilliantly and realistically cast no overly attractive people, just people with character. Its not slick and glossy like CSI. Also the acting is very good. Also there are no real solutions in that the story could just carry on forever and I hope it does.

I agree, the first season was better.

papabeard
I love the fat black guy, I think his name is Bunkum or something, he is so funny.

Also some rumpino this series for Mcnulty which doesnt go amiss

papabeard
Anyone seen season 3, is it good?, Whats the situation this time?

Also does anyone have any info as to when season 3 will be released on DVD?

Joey Stacks
Well here's one if there isn't.

So discuss.

Who's your favorite character and why?

My favorites are Snoop, Bodie and Wee Bay.

Bodie because I watched him grow up from season 1 from just a normal punk off the corner, to almost an older brother like figure with some morals, values and ethics in season 4 (even if he's still selling drugs there's at least a method behind the madness and some redeemable qualities in him).

Snoop's also my favorite because I bet she has a rubber in her back pocket and she just generally kicks ass throughout the show.

Wee Bay's a favorite because he's like the male Snoop minus the gayness and generally tries to be a good father (see end of season 4).

(Yeah I stole that joke WANNA FIGHT ABOUT IT OR SOMETHING confused )

Solo
I've only seen the first two seasons, and it's definitely one of the best television series. Already has a classic feeling to it.

I love the episode in season one where McNulty and Bunk were inspecting a crime scene and all they said was ****, hilarious.

Joey Stacks
Yeah that was funny as hell, but even that pails to the awesome that is

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_pKE-JDjYog

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The Wire...What a f*cking show!

Just about the best TV show I can ever remember watching. After the first season, I didn't think it could get any better, but each season raised the bar and brought something different to the tale. The characters were incredible, the dialogue perfect, and the plot was as deep as the ocean (Mariana Trench).

Apart from Marlo and Cheese, pretty much every character had a sympathetic element. Which is pretty tough to convey in a show about corruption, cops, and drug dealers.

Favorite characters? I've got a few: Omar, Prop Joe, Cutty, Wee-Bey, Butchie, Bodie, Daniels, Carver, Avon Barksdale, Lester, and, of course, Bunk and McNulty. Also, as much as I hated the dude, Clay Davies was a great character..."Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet".

If I had to choose a favorite, I'd probably go with Omar and McNulty. During that final season, I wanted Superman to come and save them both from the shit (one physical, one mental) they were in.

Anyway, if you haven't seen the show, then I envy you because you've got hours of the show to watch fresh. For those of us who have seen it, where do we go from here? For those idiots who didn't think it was all that and a bag of chips, you need a shotgun up the ass from Omar and an oopsupside your head from Chris.

That'll work.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/statusainthood/archives/images/wire.jpg

papabeard
Ive not seen the last season yet, cant bring myself to watch it, i think that THE WIRE is, with no doubt, the BEST TV SHOW EVER MADE, EVER, IN THE HISTORY OF TV SHOWS.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I feel you, man. I watched all of the 5 seasons over the last month, and as I got closer and closer to Season 5 I felt deeply melancholic; I just didn't want the brilliance to end. I was choked during the Season 5 finale...Wow. I won't give anything away, but the ending is perfect.

Greatest Show Ever, no doubt.

exanda kane
Not the Greatest Show Ever, but without a doubt, one of the most affecting, interesting drama's to appear on the scene for the last ten years. Great stuff.

Smasandian
Just started watching it.

Very intriguing. It was only the first episode but it was damn good.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by exanda kane
Not the Greatest Show Ever...

What's better?

exanda kane
Our Friends In The North was better, best show ever. I'd also rate the Naked Civil Servant up there, as well Edge of Darkness. You should check them out if you like quality television like the Wire.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Our Friends In The North doesn't come close to The Wire. It's just depressing and grimy.

MildPossession
I've not seen one single episode... I keep meaning to check it out. Has it ever been on normal terrestrial television?

exanda kane
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Our Friends In The North doesn't come close to The Wire. It's just depressing and grimy.

Nah, it's better.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by exanda kane
Nah, it's better.

Ohhh, no it isn't.

Drab Northerners Vs Cool Criminals, Corrupt Civil Servants, and Badass Boys on The Beat.

Hmmm, The Wire wins the cup.

exanda kane
It's better because I say it's better. You need no other argument than that.

Now start talking about the Wire.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Eh, no. The Wire still wins the cup. Not just because I say so, but because it's simply true.

Best wire target? I'd say Avon and Stringer. Those guys knew how to roll, yo. Marlo was just a punk.

Dr. Strangelove
I picked Season 3 for the simple fact that the greatest TV I will probably ever see happened once Avon got out of jail.

One of the many great things about The Wire is how detailed it is. Every scene either has a point or is setting up something later. For example, there is a scene in Season 3 in hamsterdam where this white chick picks up heroin from some dealers while in her car. Pretty much a throwaway scene to make the 1 hour mark right? Wrong, in Season 5 first episode that same girl is at a Narcotic's Anonymous meeting talking about her addiction where Bubbles still can't come to terms with Sherrod's death. . Even a character like Poot who was pretty much a minor character throughout the 5 seasons gets a sendoff that is justified and makes sense. No other series has been this detailed. It's like Lester's famous line "All the pieces matter".

papabeard
The depth and scope of The Wire is unparralleled, it is drama, satire, comedy and social commentary, great acting, storylines, its well researched and as a result feels very realistic and authentic.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
I picked Season 3 for the simple fact that the greatest TV I will probably ever see happened once Avon got out of jail.

Yeah, Season 3 was probably the best for me, too. It was just incredible. That's not to say that Season 4 and 5 weren't incredible, they were! It's just that Avon and Stringer felt like the real deal, and everything was so tangled.

Don't read this if you haven't seen Season 5:

How perfect was McNulty's 'wake'? I was smiling and totally choked-up during that master scene.

I really feel like I'm suffering from The Wire withdrawal symptons. I've got new episodes of Lost waiting to be watched, and the whole first season of Californication, but I just can't bring myself to watch them. The Wire raised the bar so high that everything else will just feel like a waste of my time.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Here's a good interview with Snoop from The Wire:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/may/24/the.wire.season.five

Turns out her name in the show is her name in real-life, and she used to a dealer in Baltimore.

In other news, I've started watching The Shield. It ain't bad, but it's not a patch on The Wire. Compared to other cop shows, the characters are fine, but compared to The Wire's they feel like caricatures; the cops seem corny, and the perps lack any menace. Still, it's helping me a little with those withdrawal symptoms.

Seriously, if you're reading this, and you haven't watched The Wire yet, do so NOW! It's simply incredible.

Solo
This is the show to end all shows! Best thing I've seen since Twin Peaks.

papabeard
I just finished watching season 4, as usual it was exemplary, it focusses more on polictics and education so for me wasnt as riveting as seasons 1-3 but even when slightly below par, The Wire is still a million miles ahead of anything else. I kind of missed Mcnultys presence, but looks like hes going to be back for season 5. Shheeeeuuiiittt!

FlappingMangera
I just finished season 3. I'm having a tough time deciding which of the first 3 seasons I like the most. I think the second season impressed me the most though because it managed to bring things together after having all those disparate storylines. But I'm not voting til I see 4 and 5.

papabeard
Season 5 starts on the FX channel (UK) tomorrow.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I envy the fact that you dudes still have new episodes of The Wire to watch. Of course, I've already seen all of them and I could re-watch them to my heart's content if I so wished, but I miss the freshness.

Wait till you see the Season 5 finale...It's absolute perfection.

jaden101
on you people's recommendation i bought season 1....starts off slowly and there seems to be alot of the old behind the scenes courtroom law and order type stuff that doesn't really appeal to me...

but i like the idea that it's a bunch of generally useless police led by a guy who's only doing the investigation cause he's been told and that only one of them really gives a **** and nobody likes him

i've only gotten through 2 episodes so far but as of now...i still prefer the shield

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Give it a little time. The Shield is good, but The Wire blows it out of the park.

brocklanders
whaaat? show some love to season 4. you never stop caring about those kids

papabeard
I'll hold off on voting until ive seen season 5 , although so far its between season 2 and 3 i think.

=Tired Hiker=
Omar and McNulty are my favs for sure. I have yet to see season 5, waitin' for the DVD. My favorite all time scene in The Wire, and I can't remember if it was in season one or two, I think two, but it was when McNulty was drunk off his ass and he crashed his car. So then he re-crashed it on purpose to make it look like it wasn't his fault. Then he was all bloody and he stumbled into that cafe where he started flirting with the waitress, next scene he's banging her, omg that was pure genius stuff there. Love that show.

=Tired Hiker=
Oh, and I like seaasons 1 and 3 best so far. 2 had a lot of great moments with the polish guys, but I ended up voting for season 1. But then again 3 was great with all the Omar moments, oh I just don't know. It's a tough decision.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Omar and McNulty are my favs for sure. I have yet to see season 5, waitin' for the DVD. My favorite all time scene in The Wire, and I can't remember if it was in season one or two, I think two, but it was when McNulty was drunk off his ass and he crashed his car. So then he re-crashed it on purpose to make it look like it wasn't his fault. Then he was all bloody and he stumbled into that cafe where he started flirting with the waitress, next scene he's banging her, omg that was pure genius stuff there. Love that show.

What!?!?!? That was a great scene, but you thought it was better than McNulty's wake?!?!?!? To me, that penultimate scene brought tears to my beautiful eyes. Apart from that, McNulty and Omar were the word, and the word was good.

jaden101
well it's certainly picked up....i'm up to ep 5...i thought the bit when mcnulty and his partner were doing the crime scene reconstruction was hilarious...just the constant "fvck fvcking fvck muthafvcka...fvckfvckfvck fvck"

papabeard
There's a new programme called Generation Kill from the creator of The Wire, it started on July 13th, anyone seen it? All i know is its about war and is based on the award winning book of the same name.

Kaworori
I like the Wire. Trashing through the second season at the moment though.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by jaden101
well it's certainly picked up....i'm up to ep 5...i thought the bit when mcnulty and his partner were doing the crime scene reconstruction was hilarious...just the constant "fvck fvcking fvck muthafvcka...fvckfvckfvck fvck"

Ahhh, that's a classic. Seriously, you're watching the greatest TV show of all time.

There's a new programme called Generation Kill from the creator of The Wire, it started on July 13th, anyone seen it? All i know is its about war and is based on the award winning book of the same name.

Sounds good, I'm gonna check it out, yo.

papabeard
Ha, never spotted this thread, just half way down the page.....

more info on generation kill here :

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=487362&highlight=the+wire+forumid%3A36

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0995832/

Dr. Strangelove
Blah! I hate seeing old posts of mine and seeing all the errors I made (fascination). Damn you 15 minute edit option!

jaden101
it took me 9 episodes to figure out where i'd seen the guy that plays Mcnulty before...he's the traitor senator in "300"...how i didn't notice that straight away is a mystery to me...

papabeard
He's also in Apocalytpo with massive teeth, its hilarious.

jaden101
i'm onto season 2 now...2 episodes in...

papabeard
i'm onto season 2 now...2 episodes in...

What do you think of it?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
He thinks it's amazing, and if he doesn't then he's an idiot - and I know he's not an idiot. Well...

jaden101
teckle is the word we use around here...tuckin' feckle

i wasn't sure the court episode was entirely needed at the end of season 1 though...although i liked the bit when mcnulty gets asked by rawls where he doesn't want to go and he just smiles

the only problem with the start of season 2 is that it starts the new story while still showing parts of the old story...and the sting operation for the dock workers you dont really bother about to begin with and just want to know what's happening with Avon Barksdale and everyone from season 1

papabeard
Yeah, I felt the same way about season 2 at first, like who are these guys?, but it develops and i think season 2 is my favourite.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Word to you fools. I felt the same, too. Then I gave in the beauty of the show, and I was swept along by the tsunami.

jaden101
loved Omar in the court scene...

papabeard
Omar rules, my favourite character.

jaden101
i like this new guy from NYC...brother or whatever they call him...reminds me of the assassin from serenity...

jaden101
just finished season 3...good stuff...i knew brother mouzone would come back into it...and i had a feeling it was to make a deal with Omar about stringer bell...and i was right...yay me

didn't think Avon would outsmart stringer though...he obviously sold out stringer to mouzone (the asking where he'd be at what time gave it away)....but i did think stringer would try and get rid of Avon

i like this Marlo character...i get the feeling him and Omar will be having a showdown at some point

also get a feeling alot of main characters are going to be dead by the end of the series

jaden101
well i've got 2 episodes of the final season to watch...have to say...what a shit way for Omar to go out...

jaden101
finally finished all 5 seasons

my verdict?

i didn't like the cheese they layered on at the end...trying to make Mike the new Omar and trying to make Dukie the new Bubbles...we get the idea that the whole thing is cyclic and it never ends...smacking people in the face with it wasn't really neccessary

i did like Marlo going back to the street at the end though...

i'll reserve judgement on whether it's better than the shield when the finale of season 7 comes...

neither of them touch the sopranos for characters though

now i best get cracking on with "generation kill" and "sons of anarchy"

BUTTFREAK
Sopranos sucked. Oh, Chrissy sat on the dog, watch out for rats, lets rip the the phone off the wall, gee, maybe if we kill off Bobby in the toy store next to the train sets, Tony can have a couple fart dreams, ever had any of our sausages? Nuff said.

jaden101
obviously watched it then...couldn't have thought it was that bad

BUTTFREAK
i have'em all. I'm just a trolling bastardo that plans on getting banned soon. What are you doin' here? I thought I told you to go **** your mother.

jaden101
yeah...it's obvious...fair play to you

Ya Krunk'd Floo
finally finished all 5 seasons

my verdict?

i didn't like the cheese they layered on at the end...trying to make Mike the new Omar and trying to make Dukie the new Bubbles...we get the idea that the whole thing is cyclic and it never ends...smacking people in the face with it wasn't really neccessary

i did like Marlo going back to the street at the end though...

i'll reserve judgement on whether it's better than the shield when the finale of season 7 comes...

neither of them touch the sopranos for characters though

now i best get cracking on with "generation kill" and "sons of anarchy"

I thought the finale was perfect. Just perfect. Also, I think The Wire wins the world in terms of the characters; I miss McNulty, Bunk, Omar and Skeletor daily.

Movie tragic
Fantastic show. So many great characters. Omar is awesome smile

jaden101
Been watching this again and it suddenly struck me how much Ziggy Sobotka looks like Jeff Buckley.

http://www.andreaharner.com/archives/NYC_01.07_Marysbday_ZiggySobotka_AndreaHarner.jpg

http://afterthegates.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/jeff_buckley.jpg

Darth Martin
Best form of entertainment on any medium.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.