The Name Vader...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dwizard
Im new to this forum and dont know if this was covered. The name vader means father I belive. I read this in this particular forum. This is my Theory to Vader's name and why the emporer decided to name him with this obvious twisted name.

I had to reply to this becasue I think everyone just dosent see the obvious.

Darth Vader knew he had a child. He didnt know he had twins.

It was never said that he didnt know. If everyone can go back to the empire strikes back as soon as he found out the pilots name was skywalker he began his chase without the emperor. The emporer knew after a vision that the son of skywalker must be killed.

Durring the discussion with vader, If you noticed vader pleaded with the emperor, "He is only a boy." There is where you see he has been searching for him all his life.

Now torwards the end of empire strikes back, Vader again pleads for Luke to join him, "the emperor knows you can destroy him. He has forseen it. Join me! Obi wan never told you what happened to your father."

Another hint signafying that infact he knew that he did have a child. It is no secret that Vader knows that he had a child. What he didnt realize was that he didnt have a twin. In return of the Jedi in the final conflict when Luke faced Vader once again this time trying to draw him to the light side of the force, Vader was looking to use what ever was necessary to bring Luke to his side to destroy the emperor and sensed that Luke was hiding something. A weakness. The fact that he had a sister.... A twin sister.
His words were obvious, "Obi Wan was wise to hide her from me! If you will not turn perhapse she will." He intised him to fight. Using his sister to provoke anger in him.

So all in all the name Vader fits the description. He knows that padme is indeed very pregnant, he just dosent know that he has twins.
Im pretty sure that when he turns to the darkside they take padme away to hide her from him as he becomes an agent of evil and in turn he becomes even more twisted then ever.

So im sure that the name Vader in fact is a way for the emporer to twist him to the darkside even more. By calling him Vader its like a tease that your a father and your friends hid your child from you. A tactic to anger him, to cause him to hate... which in fact leads him to the darkside and keeps him there. Of course until Luke brings him back.

But by loving padme, by having children, and confronting his past by seeing luke he fulfills his destiny as the chosen one.
A promise to his mother he made long ago at her grave, "I promise you I will not be weak next time."

Another point he made was to Padme, "I will be so powerful that I will stop people from dieing."

He looks at his son, then looks at the emporer, then looks again at his son his head tilting a bit showing his emotion as his son is being electricuted by the emporer... VADER..... FATHER.....
Freak yeah... He did what any loving father would do, sacrifice his own life for the life of his child. Love brought him back... The love of his mother, the love of padme, and most importantly the love of his children.
So im sure he was searching all his life as Vader (or Father) for the child. He was just surprised it was two children not one.

One last point to be made...

The emporer named him vader to twist him even more. That is my theory. To name him Vader in honor of his lost child...

If this goes that route I will be one happy fan.

I think this story is the best story ever told on film.

Morridini
But Vader mean father in Belgium (or something), it doesn't necessarily mean father in the SW universe.

Cascador
I think it's just symbolic

Darth Vader (Dark Father) - Invader - To enter by force in order to conquer or pillage

Darth Sidious - Insidious - Working or spreading harmfully in a subtle or stealthy manner. Intended to entrap; treacherous. Beguiling but harmful; alluring

Darth Maul - Maul - To injure greatly; to do much harm to

Darth Tyranus - Tyrant - A ruler who exercises power in a harsh, cruel manner

Darth Plagueis - Plague - A sudden destructive influx or injurious outbreak

General Grievous - Grievous - Causing grief, pain, or anguish

guiro72
heard it was supposed to allude to the words "dark father" in some way, some people state that this is an unconfirmed rumour, i have a feeling i heard it in a documentary or somewhere other than in some post on a forum, but can't really remember now to be honest....

was just about to post the exact same thing as cascador, so i've edited that bit....

lucasfilm
Originally posted by Cascador

Darth Vader (Dark Father) - Invader - To enter by force in order to conquer or pillage

Darth Sidious - Insidious - Working or spreading harmfully in a subtle or stealthy manner. Intended to entrap; treacherous. Beguiling but harmful; alluring

niiiiiiiiice

Gundark
Interesting theories there, dwizard !

smile

Darth Subjekt
Only, Gl said that it meant "dark warrior". And no Vader didnt know that he had a kid. He thought that he died with Padme. Vader didnt know that Luke was his son until Palps told him....."I have no doubt that the young rebel who destroyed the Deathstar is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker."......Vader, "How can that be?"........so he obviously doesnt know until then. Its just a coincedence. At the time GL wrote ANH, Vader and Anakin were gonna be two different people....he writes shit as he goes along, thats part of his...."genius". But its a good theory, just dont think its how it gonna play through.

Jazzman_78
Plus, Sidius couldn't have named Vader with a lost child in mind, because Anakin becomes Vader BEFORE he leaves for Mustafar. BEFORE Padme dies, and the fate of the children is decided. Not saying that that' not why GL named him Vader, though.

dwizard

Nice i have to tell my friends about this one!!! Wow

Cascador
Darth Subjekt, I think Vader knew about Luke before the emperor told him...or it is a blooper in the film. Remember at the beginning of the Movie "The Rebels are there and I'm sure Skywalker is with them!"
That sorta prooves he knew that he had a son...I think he figured it out on his own but tries to hide it from the emperor to hide his plans with his son and to protect him.

woman_beater69
Don't forget, Dooku is japanese for Poison.

guiro72
no lucas knew....but don't hold it against me....

Darth Subjekt
But the way they tried to play it off later was that he didnt know. Its kinda like how many people share your last name? Even a smoeone with a rare name shares it with someone else. Im sure theres more Skywalkers in the UNIVERSE than just those three.

Cascador
if he knew that the one who destroyed the deathstar, who has Force powers as he said in A New Hope, is a Skywalker I think he would have figured it out, it is his son...

stefaan
Well, i'm Dutch and in Dutch (indeed it's also what is spoken in Belgium) Vader means father but only in the way you write it, not in the pronounciation.

Cascador
yes Vader(SW)= Vader (dutch)= father english

Alliance
Very interesting analysis everyone. It will be interesteing to see who is correct when Episode III debuts.

dwizard
Not for nothing but Darth Vader knew he had a son. In a New Hope there was no mention of it becasue he wasnt looking at the time.

In Empire strikes back in the scroll text as soon as he found out who the pilot was he immediatly went after Luke without the permission of the emperor. It is very very clear. He was in search of his child even before the emperor told him.

In a new hope he sensed his force powers, then to find out that the pilot that destroyed the dethstar was non other then his son skywalker sent him on an immediate quest.
==============================================
Episode V scroll

It is a dark time for the Rebellion. Although the Death Star has been destroyed, Imperial troops have driven the Rebel forces from their hidden base and pursued them across the galaxy.

Evading the dreaded Imperial Starfleet, a group of freedom fighters led by Luke Skywalker has established a new secret base on the remote ice world of Hoth.

The evil lord Darth Vader, obsessed with finding the young Skywalker, has dispatched thousands of remote probes into the far reaches of space....
==============================================

Why would he be obsessed with finding young skywalker in the first place unless he actually knew he was his son. Watch the movie again, when the emperor speaks to Vader, he pleas to him that "He is only a boy, Obi Wan can no longer help him."

Trust me he knows that he is his father and that my friends is why he was so obsessed with finding him! It says it right in the scroll.

Cascador
edit: wrong thread

bwill00
no one knows of luke and leah but bail obiwan and yoda in Ep3.
so the theory about naming him after the kids is out but everything else sounds good

vader519
We all assumed that vader knew Luke was his son in ESB. That all changed. Vader tought his child died with Padme. In ESB, he knows that the person who destroyed the death star is Luke, but does not make the connection that it is his son, until the emporer tells him. I believe he goes after Luke because he felt the force with Luke, knwoing he could be a possible threat to bring down the Empire.

dwizard
I dont know, I watched that part only two days ago and saw that the emporer didnt even know he was chasing luke. Until Vader began his plea.

I mean really, Skywalker is his own last name. Dont you think he would have made the connection? He dosent know his name is luke but the name Skywalker would ring a bell.

Well you guys gave me reason to watch it again. Did that part change in the DVD version? I think it did so what version are you watching? I think im gonna have to watch both versions. Crap!

I could have sworn by watching it this weekend with my son that I saw he was actually searching for his son, and when luke was mentioned Vader was soft about the whole situation and for the first time that part made sense to me. Like I had explained it above, it was almost like he had been searching for him all his life as vader.

I cant wait for Episode 3 man...

Im sure it will tie everything together.
I know alot of people didnt like the first two but I loved them.... why?
becasue they make the original 3 Ep 4,5,6 so good. The whole story rocks and I think is the best story ever told on the big screen.

Darth Subjekt
Why would he be obsessed with finding him?? Because he's a potential Jedi. His, well their main objective was to wipe out anyone who could use the force, as they knew that was the only threat to them (the ability to destroy a planet, is insignificant next to the power of the force.). So thats why he wants him. They never said he was looking for him BECAUSE he was his son, they just said Skywalker so WE would know who they were talking about(I'm referring to the crawl). I really don't believe that either of them knew. "The Emperor knew as i did, if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him." So if Vader knew, then there's no possible ways that Palps wouldn't. Cause if they did know, then they would have killed him/them when they were still babies and defenseless. It just makes more sense that way.....to me at least.

dwizard
Not for nothing but so was Yoda and Obi Wan but he wasnt obsessed with finding them. He didnt send out thousands of prob droids to search the galaxy to eliminate them. No I think it was because he knew he was his son. He wanted to get to him before the emporer did as is the way of the sith.

Darth Subjekt
Not for nothing, but how do you know what they did between 3 and 4? They were both under the assumption that Yoda was dead anyway. He gets knocked out a window or whatever and Bail has to "bail him out"....sorry for the cliche pun, but ya know....anyway, he figures that Ob1 is getting old and alone, therefore would never try to challenge both of them. But as PVS says, i guess we'll find out in a month and a half.

Captain REX

I do not think it came from Invader, myself.

Also, another one I found interesting...

Palpatine - Palpable - To grab, to take hold of (power, in Palpy's case wink )

DCLXVI
It has been discussed beyond imaginability, but Darth Vader does not mean "Dark Father", this has been supported by Lucas' own statements. wink
CLOSED.

EDIT: Due to some needless complaining, the thread has been recomissioned.

Captain REX
And reopened. wink

Sith Master X
Yeah, I was wondering why this had been closed? erm

cal31
DCLXVI is going a little closing crazy with his new Mod powers. How the hell did he become a mod anyways?

EDIT: Am I going Crazy?

DCLXVI
What the f**k?
This thread I deemed pointless, because if the person(s) had used the Search Feature, they would have been able to find countless threads on this subject.....

Captain REX
Not in this section, DC. And the person presented a good case, so it's worth reading.

xeous
Yes. He presented a very good case.

Although I have read 1000000 times about what Vader means, I found the post(and the thread) very enjoyable.

It was a valiant effort but that's strike one, DCL. laughing

Cascador
editing someone else's post for your own amusment is strike two...I would saystick out tongue

Sith Master X
Yeah, editing someone's post like that is nonesense, and shouldn't be tolerated.

DCLXVI
roll eyes (sarcastic)
Unfortunately, it will be Raz who decides if my Modly abilities are taken away....
Now please, since everybody was in a big huff 'cause I Closed this Thread, I ask that you actually begin to discuss about it instead of discussing me. wink

Mist
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
Why would he be obsessed with finding him?? Because he's a potential Jedi. His, well their main objective was to wipe out anyone who could use the force, as they knew that was the only threat to them (the ability to destroy a planet, is insignificant next to the power of the force.). So thats why he wants him. They never said he was looking for him BECAUSE he was his son, they just said Skywalker so WE would know who they were talking about(I'm referring to the crawl). I really don't believe that either of them knew. "The Emperor knew as i did, if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him." So if Vader knew, then there's no possible ways that Palps wouldn't. Cause if they did know, then they would have killed him/them when they were still babies and defenseless. It just makes more sense that way.....to me at least. \\\

im right with you on that one. the crawl was just to tell viewers that skywalker was the one vader was chasing.

vaders obsessed coz he felt the force and luke blew up the death star. thats a pretty big insult to the empire. if someone came along and burnt down your house, youd be obsessed with finding them too. (maybe not THAT obsessed, but you get me)

getting back to the topic, as someone said earlier about Vader - To enter by force in order to conquer or pillage. this is probably true, in that anakin was pretty much forced into becoming a sith after he kills off mace and turns against the jedi code.

dwizard
Originally posted by Mist
\\\

im right with you on that one. the crawl was just to tell viewers that skywalker was the one vader was chasing.

vaders obsessed coz he felt the force and luke blew up the death star. thats a pretty big insult to the empire. if someone came along and burnt down your house, youd be obsessed with finding them too. (maybe not THAT obsessed, but you get me)

getting back to the topic, as someone said earlier about Vader - To enter by force in order to conquer or pillage. this is probably true, in that anakin was pretty much forced into becoming a sith after he kills off mace and turns against the jedi code.

Ok this is getting really good... I love discussing something as heated as this topic. Anyway let me state my case clearer now that you made that point.

Why would Vader skip out on a chance to chase the rebellion in a whole and continue chase on the falcon? Good points made.
When the discussion of Luke comes about with the emporer he is already chasing Han, cheiwi and leia even before he discusses this with the emperor. Why chase them when he had the whole rebellion on the run? What would be interesting to see also is how yoda escapes the emporer as obviously he survives a confrontation.

The emperor is very pompus too, im sure he feels that yoda nor obi wan can do anything to him. But yeah like someone said he felt the tremmor in the force and that was LUKE the offspring of skywalker.
I havent had time to watch it again. But it was an interesting conversation.

I will post again under this very thread again if I can find anything... But if you do searches on the internet you find lots of things about what the meaning is. Fan Fiction or not it is very very interesting and I think Lucas did say that he was to explain why he was named Vader. So with that said this episode will explain and make the original three so much better.

Darth Plagueis
Since only GLs films are canon, and the DVD release of Empire has a new (well, altered ) scene stating that "the son of Skywalker must not be allowed to become a Jedi", I would assume that between 4 & 5, both Vader AND the emperor have somehow realised who was behind the destruction of the death star. we can argue the merits of such changes, but this site pretty clearly delineates what is to be considered canon...

Mist
I think everyones getting a little sidetracked here, this thread is about Vader's name, not why he chased after luke. maybe a new thread in another forum could have this discussion, but its got nothing to do with ep3.

Darth Plagueis
I think everyones getting a little sidetracked here, this thread is about Vader's name, not why he chased after luke. maybe a new thread in another forum could have this discussion, but its got nothing to do with ep3. Okay, but is there an answer? I think we all know that Sidious was behind the many seperatist attempts on Padmes life...probably sensing and trying to avoid the eventual Luke...."Palps, what about Padme???"
"well, I been trying to eVADER...."

Mist
laughing

dwizard
I think everyones getting a little sidetracked here, this thread is about Vader's name, not why he chased after luke. maybe a new thread in another forum could have this discussion, but its got nothing to do with ep3.

This thread is about his name Darth Vader or (dark father) or Dark truth and why the emporer would name him if indeed he did name him that and the fact that if he indeed was named that because of his lost child.

All theory but the only referances we have is the empire strikes back. In my opinion it just seems obvious that lucas might be heading in that direction. Being obsessed over 1 force sensitive pilot is a little overboard dont ya think? Also dont you think it was obvious that padme is very pregnant, some how dies, obi wan hides taking luke to tatooine the very place Anikan was born and raised and burried his mother to watch over him?

Obi Wan escapes death in the confrontation with Anikan by intervention of a lava bath. This fight between obi wan and anikan must be driven by the fact that Padme is taken away from him along with his children. Lets face it he taps into the dark side to win the clone wars becase Palpatine becomes a father figure in his life as seen in episode 2 and the trailers. He defeats count duku taking his place as a Sith Lord (when he becomes Darth Vader). Note: He becomes Darth Vader when he turns to the dark side, not when he wears the armor.

Lets remember this while we ponder the thoughts, Jedi are not supposed to fall in love and bear offspring. Dark Father is such a fitting name for him. Unless his name is Dark Invader.... then im going to have to start my whole theory over... I like this theory better though. I know there are those that doubt and look at the theory, finding holes. Then again Lucas was never perfect in his writing, like someone said he writes as he goes which is a part of his genius.

Darth Vader might be the only one of his kind to actually bear offspring...

Oh and the assassination attempts on padme's life theory rocks! That would be so freaking cool if that were true. Kill the kid before he is born...lol

dwizard
Guess what guys i was right. Take a look at starwars.com and you will see that he indeed does know padme is pregnant and in fact wants to stop her from dying.

Check it out

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.