most harrowing scene in film

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jaden101
many film have pushed the boat out either in a deliberate attempt to push boundaries or merely to make people angry at what they are witnessing

perhaps film pushes to hard sometimes and hides behind the "its not real" defence in order to get away with certain vulgarities

personally the hardest scene that i have watched is in the film irreversible with monica belluci...a nine minute single shot rape then that even the most hardy film goer will find very difficult to stomach

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290673/

another scene is in Tim Roth's "the war zone" in which ray winstone plays a father who abuses his teenage daughter unaware that his son is watching...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141974/

then of course there is the passion of the christ...particularly the scene where he is whipped with the metal lined whips and of course the horrifying crucifixtion scene

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335345/

what films have you seen that have made you question the neccessity of such hard hitting scenes in film?

Jackie Malfoy
It is something that happens in most firms and there is nothering we can do about it.Frankly I just annore it.JM

Cinemaddiction
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
I just annore it.JM

Annore..ignore..same thing.

BackFire
Irreversible rape scene

Irreversible fire extinguisher scene

Auditions finale

Happiness' dialogue between a child molesting father and his son trying to understand why he does what he does.

Salo - The entire movie

Men Behind the Sun - the entire movie.

I stand alone - The scene where the butcher fantasizes about murdering his daughter.

I Spit on Your Grave -Castration Scene.

Kids - The entire movie.

Cannibal Holocaust - The animal death scenes.

SnakeEyes
I have not seen any of those movies and am quite glad...

eleveninches
The worst one I've seen at the cinema was definately the flaying scene in the passion of the christ

MildPossession
Notice how the director used a still camera for that scene, and the rest of the film was mostly hand held all over the place shots.

I found the part where someone walked into the tunnel while the rape was happening and walked straight back out without helping more disturbing than the rape itself.

Gibson has released the film in a new cut with minutes of the more graphic scenes edited out.

As for the original film, I didn't find it disturbing at all, especially after all the hype about the gore...

Urgh, that was really disturbing to watch, disturbing film indeed.

Not really very disturbing, but a scene from the film Haute Tension, a gory French slasher, excellent film.

Near the start you see a man in a van and it looks like a woman is giving him a blow job, and then when he has finished, the viewers realise it's a decapitated woman's head because he throws it out of the van window onto the floor after being done with it... Just the thought of it, urgh. Even more disturbing when you realise something later on in the film.

bilb
The 'cutting off the ear scene' in Resevoir Dogs.. I cant hear 'Stuck in the Middle With You' without getting chills..

Deathblow
I don't find that scene very disturbing, it's sadistic and horrible, but at no point did it make me want to look away. Plus Mr Blonde's little bits of dialogue in it are hilarious. I find Mr Orange's slow death much more disturbing.

Physical violence and gore has never effected me much, my most harrowing moment was in Casualties Of War. The pain and suffering the soldiers put that Vietnamese girl through, even before they rape her, never fails to horrify me.

Maya Zurak
In "The Ring"
when the girl comes out of the TV

awwww!!!! http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys2/shocked_2.gif

bilb
Originally posted by Deathblow
I don't find that scene very disturbing, it's sadistic and horrible, but at no point did it make me want to look away. Plus Mr Blonde's little bits of dialogue in it are hilarious. I find Mr Orange's slow death much more disturbing.

i probably could have handled it, till he put the gasoline on it... Makes me cringe every time...

ms_erupt
Originally posted by jaden101
what films have you seen that have made you question the neccessity of such hard hitting scenes in film?
I've never seen a, er, scene that made me question it's neccessity. I think that it's make the film that much better and more real to keep scenes like that in the movie. You know what I mean? Like, not sugar coating it for the audience.

Anyhow, the scene in American History X where Derek makes that guy bite the curb then stomps on the back of his head. *shudders* Man, that gets me everytime. You don't even see anything gory, but just the thought of it. Or, the scene where he get's raped in the shower.

bilb
Oh, that one WAS disturbing.. the thought of his teeth crucnhing on that pavement, amongst other details... YIKES....

jaden101
i dont really want this to be a thread that turns into what is the most blood curdling violence scene because there are to many to mention

one of the best however is the hobbling scene in misery..

stingray005
The two most disturbing scenes ever would have to be in the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre when one of the characters gets his leg hacked off, then gets dragged down into the basement, (while his nails tear off trying to escape) gets shoved ont a meat hook, and finally has salt put onto his wound. And also in Shawn of the Dead when one guy gets his intestines ripped out and eaten. Wasn't that movie supposed to be a comedy????

DarkAge
There was a scene in this movie called May where the main character was trying to create Frankenstein and to give it an eye she jammed a pair of scissors into her eyeball and gouged it out.

Another movie called Unspeakable had this guy tearing off his own entire face with his fingernails.

Finally, and most horrific of all, Jar Jar Binx.

Ou Be Low hoo
Originally posted by BackFire
Happiness' dialogue between a child molesting father and his son trying to understand why he does what he does.

Kids - The entire movie.

SNAP! Happiness is fooked. As amusing as it is, that final scene is pretty disgusting...Just think about it!

As for 'Kids', I wouldn't say that the WHOLE movie is repulsive, but The Virgin Surgeon is definitely a repuslive character. Have you seen 'Ken Park'? It's the same deal there...

Pretty much all of 'Ju On: The Grudge' is disturbing. Yes, I'm talking about the Japanese original, not 'Buffy The Grudge Slayer'.

tabby999
Originally posted by stingray005
The two most disturbing scenes ever would have to be in the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre when one of the characters gets his leg hacked off, then gets dragged down into the basement, (while his nails tear off trying to escape) gets shoved ont a meat hook, and finally has salt put onto his wound. And also in Shawn of the Dead when one guy gets his intestines ripped out and eaten. Wasn't that movie supposed to be a comedy????

i dont think either of those things were that bad.

and i dont think i've seen something in a film thats made me look away of go "god damn, thats bad."

Cinemaddiction
I was watching my "Boogeymen" DVD, and it had a trailer for "The Dentist". Now, this being somewhat of a universal fear, there was a scene where Corbin Bernsen literally drilled a mans tooth OUT. I mean this guy was HOLLOWING HIS TOOTH...RIGHT THE **** OUT....

I'm just speechless after having witnessed that. How unnerving.

tabby999
yeah i saw an ad for that movie on the Bruiser tape, you see from inside the mouth and the teeth getting ground out.... :: shudders :: good one c-dic, i needed that wink

SlipknoT
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
I was watching my "Boogeymen" DVD, and it had a trailer for "The Dentist". Now, this being somewhat of a universal fear, there was a scene where Corbin Bernsen literally drilled a mans tooth OUT. I mean this guy was HOLLOWING HIS TOOTH...RIGHT THE **** OUT....

I'm just speechless after having witnessed that. How unnerving. yea that movie really sucks when your 8 years old and you watch it the day before a dentist appointment embarrasment

BackFire
"As for 'Kids', I wouldn't say that the WHOLE movie is repulsive, but The Virgin Surgeon is definitely a repuslive character. Have you seen 'Ken Park'? It's the same deal there..."

Unfortunately, Ken Park isn't available around here. I would like to see it though.

Cinemaddiction
One I can share, that I have actually seen would be the "Sloth" segment of "Seven". The character is strapped to a bed, morbidly emaciated, figured dead, and then, out of nowhere, this skeleton of a man just catapults out of bed gasping.

I swear on all things holy, it's the greatest first time jump scare ever. It's poignant for all the wrong reasons. I shudder to think that someone could in real life do such a thing, given they're crafty enough, not to mention acutely sadistic.

BackFire
Very true CA, that is a great scene.

stingray005
How about in Nightmare on Elm Street 4 when one of the girls gets her arms torn off, head ripped out, and then gets turned into a cockroach. That scene was actually pretty stupid, but it was still really really disturbing.

pr1983
Originally posted by Deathblow

Physical violence and gore has never effected me much, my most harrowing moment was in Casualties Of War. The pain and suffering the soldiers put that Vietnamese girl through, even before they rape her, never fails to horrify me.

That scene was pretty bad... also the scene in platoon when berenger wants to kill the whole village...

Originally posted by Cinemaddiction

I'm just speechless after having witnessed that. How unnerving.

i've seen the dentist movies, they are graphic to say the least...

the irreversible rape and the audition finale are definately two of the worst...

then there was pet semetary, when the kid stabs the guy in the heel... i dont know why but that freaked me out no end...

MildPossession
I found the scenes with the blind kids the most disturbing in the whole film.

BlazingBarrells
Mosst harrowing. i dont know, nothing really bothers me, well one scene that got my heart pumping was in American H X. When the devil, i mean E. Norton pulled off that curb stomp. I dont know why but my face hurt after watching that. There is a pretty bad scene in Shallow Grave, where Ewan McG. gets a bag over his head and they tie him down, and take crow bars and smash his shins in. That sucks to be him.

tabby999
Originally posted by BackFire
Unfortunately, Ken Park isn't available around here. I would like to see it though.

yeah its banned here to, one of my friends it going to download it though

SlipknoT
Originally posted by BlazingBarrells
Mosst harrowing. i dont know, nothing really bothers me, well one scene that got my heart pumping was in American H X. When the devil, i mean E. Norton pulled off that curb stomp. I dont know why but my face hurt after watching that. There is a pretty bad scene in Shallow Grave, where Ewan McG. gets a bag over his head and they tie him down, and take crow bars and smash his shins in. That sucks to be him. I saw someone do that in real life, very disturbing,

Andrew McLeod
The Passion of the Christ made me cringe at times, that's about it. Most things don't disturb me anymore, I'm desensitized.

Whoever mentioned Shaun of the Dead and the intestine scene...I found that hilarious. It was so funny to see them rip him to pieces and then the girl run out with the arm to fight them off. I was laughing so hard.

BackFire
Passion of the christ was too over the top and the scenes lasted way to long. I was yawning through most of those "graphic" scenes. Held no where near the power of Irreversibles rape scene.

tabby999
i found neither the passion of the christ or irreversable either harrowing or good

powerfulone1987
There are many more ways to push the boundaries of film making then in the ways described here.
They all don't have to be horrible and gory. Some can be good.
Here's mine.

I think the movie "The Incredibles" really pushed the boundaries in movie making(CG Animated Movies).
A specific sequence in the movie where they really out did themselves is the "100 mile dash". This is the scene where the Dash the speedy little boy in the movie has is chase scene where he's running from the bad guys using his super speed and multiple things happen. This was a very beautiful and well done sequence. And Bryan Bird was very creative in what he did with a character whose only super power is super speed, he did some real neat, wild and crazy stuff in that chase sequence.

SlipknoT
What does that have to do with shit?

tabby999
i think they're refering to not just "harrowing" scenes but also the fact that the people who make the movies with those scenes are "pushing the envelope" and then refering to how The Incredibles is also "pushing boundaries"

jaden101
tears of the sun with bruce willis which i watched for the first time the other night is pretty harrowing as it shows with unflinching brutality, what people in many countries do to each other...cutting off a womans breasts so that she may never feed her children....

also i found the scene in schindlers list with little boy hiding in the latrine pretty poignant...as well as many other scenes in that film....the conveyer belt with all the decomposed bodies and the human ash falling on to the car with the kids playing because they think its snow

ladygrim
hmm ne part of ghost ship was pushing it ... sick

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by tabby999
i think they're refering to not just "harrowing" scenes but also the fact that the people who make the movies with those scenes are "pushing the envelope" and then refering to how The Incredibles is also "pushing boundaries"

Thank you, that's the "shit" that I am talking about slipnoT.

xLiNdS x 622x
Well the whole ship sinking in Titanic of course

tabby999
without a doubt in my mind, seeing JKF cop the head shot, it was ****ing harsh, his whole ****ing head comes apart, made me feel so sad

Smasandian
Yeah.
I think Sin City had a few scenes that are harrowing. First, the scene where Murv cuts off Kevin's legs and then feeds him to the dog and then cuts off his head, it wasnt graphic because it wasnt in true colour, but the idea behind it is still kinda of gruesome.
Also, the scene where Willis rips off The Yellow Bastard's lower unit and then beats him to a bloody pulp was pretty gruesome also.

BlazingBarrells
i thought of a new one, when Raphael gets the sh%t kicked out of him by the foot clan. i cryed for like never.

Lord Shadow Z
I didn't like in Universal Soldier where Lundgren impales that needle through the black guys cheek. It gives me the shudders...

Andrew McLeod
I wouldn't consider anything from Sin City to be graphic. It was comical violence. Very cool but not at all shocking.

Smasandian
Its still graphic.
I do admit its not real like The Passion Of the Christ. But some scenes in Sin City are still pretty graphic. Its not a bad thing though.

BlazingBarrells
harrowing, i think i can add the scene in the BRILLIANT Ravenous when Colhqoun tells the story of how the travelers started to eat eachother. Real good chills there. Good story too.

eleveninches
Probably some of the scenes from schindlers list.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.