Obi-wan to Ben

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DrSuperfresh
Sorry if there is already a thread about this, i did a search and didn't see anything.

Does anyone know when Obi-wan starts being called "Ben?" do you know who gives him that nickname?

It seems in a universe of strange names (i.e. Obi-wan) starting to call yourself "ben" seems kind of funny to me.

anyways, any info would be great thanks

BAILY
It aint in the movie... look to EU for the answers... even tho there arent any yet....

Mist
probably coz anakin knows his name is obiwan, so he changes to ben to elude him.....dunno.....thats my guess....

Jedi Priestess
I think we have a thread on this from awhile back?

astrofan428
I remember hearing a long time ago that Ben is his actual name and that Anakin knew this and teases him early in the movie. Forget where I heard it.

Captain REX
Hah, that would be funny...or annoying...

Morning_Glory
he does.. I guess he teases him in Ep II confused

Captain REX
Not that I recall.

bilb
Originally posted by astrofan428
I remember hearing a long time ago that Ben is his actual name and that Anakin knew this and teases him early in the movie. Forget where I heard it.

That was an early report that has been discredited and / or cut from the film. Its my understanding the genesis of the name change will NOT be addressed in the film...

HateWork
from what i've read, the name Ben will not be said in the movie.

its probably hinted at, most likely a Yoda line, something like "remain hidden you must" or whatever. So he gives himself a new name to remain hidden...but Luke gets to keep the Skywalker name. :P

Cascador
wasn't it also said that Obi-Wan told commander Cody about his real name was Ben, and that he was ashamed of the name and he regrets that he told him

bilb
Originally posted by Cascador
wasn't it also said that Obi-Wan told commander Cody about his real name was Ben, and that he was ashamed of the name and he regrets that he told him

Umm, no. Again this was reportedly a scene cut from the film. Supposedly Obi Wan befriends Commander Cody and ends up telling him his 'real' name.. Ben. And is heartbroken when he has to kill Cody after the Clones turn on the Jedi via Order 66. But nowhere was it reported that Obi was 'ashamed; of his name.....

stefaan
Perhaps one of Obi's friends calls him Ben either Cody or Anakin and when the Larses ask who he is, he says (for good times sake and maybe secrecy) ''Ben Kenobi'' maybe something like it...

J.M FcThumbs-Up
FFS...if I ever had to choose.
Man, why rename yourself Obi-Wan if you have the name Ben!!!

Ok, Obi-Wan fits perfectly in the formula of SW-names, but it's a name like an eskimo would give to his son.
-What's your name scumbag?
-My name's Ben...ehh oops...Obi-Wan...it means "the first son" of Obi Kenobi senior.

Cascador
the lars family knows that the one who brought Luke had the name Obi-Wan Kenobi, that's why Owen lies that he's dad for Luke's sake.

jedi90
did anyone ever find out a clear answer on this. kinda curious as to when obi-wan starts going by ben. i heard a rumor awhile back obi-wan is his jedi name and ben was his real name.

Naredhel
Probably one of those things we will never know!

smoker4
Maybe obi watched a few episodes?

whistle

http://ikoncity.4orce.com/images/brands/B40696E865DC7D_bigone.jpg

Naredhel
he he stick out tongue

NoFate007
Simple...
Obi-Wan Kenobi.....OBI-wan kenOBI...

Ben is Ken but one letter changed...

Lucas looked at Obi, threw it in twice, and since Ken is the other part of Kenobi that hasn't been touched, he's called Ben. He could've been Ken Kenobi but then it would've been more noticeable.

Who cares? lol

woman_beater69
Just watch the movies.
He goes into hiding.

What do you DO when you go into hiding?
You change your name.

tlbauerle
Wasn't Luke hiding too? Or was he vacationing which is why he could keep Skywalker...

I'm sure there are many Skywalkers on Tatooine...and NO ONE would ever dare think of him hiding there...

DCLXVI
Obi-Wan to Ben> Easy. In the Scripts, Ol'Ben and Obi-Wan sound sort of alike....plus, he probably would've picked up the name from somebody....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.