Poll: Widescreen vs. Fullscreen

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Tyrant
I'm thinking which one do you like to watch Star Wars in? Since the picture quality will be Digital quality this is a decision to ponder over. And In my opinion I like Widescreen.

Three Owls
there is no question about it. WIDESCREEN. full screen is an abomination. why see a film with a third of the frame cut out?

BAILY
Widescreen all the way.... Full Screen sucks!!! and this is the wrong forum for this too prolly

mungulla_man44
widescreen's awesome smile i hate full screen in any movie

Insomnia
I won't watch a dvd unless it's in widescreen, typically.

EHmasterJedi
Yup wide screen all the way in my oppion the only people that like full screen are people that dont understand the difference, they think wide screen cuts off the top and bottum of the picture! LOLOLOLOL

BAILY
People dont like "the black bars" as they call it... LMFAO!! If they would only understand... I would rather see all the image and black bars then three quarters of the image.... and if you would get a nice TV then the bars arent that noticeable

Darth_Nefarus
and episode 3 is related how?
I mean come on now...

Jedi Priestess
<----------was thinking the exact same thing Nefarus. But to answer the Q-widescreen.

BAILY
I already asked that question... it doesnt matter anymore... no one seems to do anything intelligent around here anyways

lucasfilm
WOOOOOWWW!!! THIS IS WAAAAY TOO UTTERLY POINTLESS!!!
WIIIIIDESCREEN!!!!!

kremzike
After showing a friend the new ending on my widescreen ROTJ DVD, I then pulled out my fullscreen VHS tape to remind him how it used to look. That was a painful excercise. Seeing the low quality image AND how terribly zoomed in it looked was awful. Gotta be widescreen.

CBright7831
I'll take widescreen.

Crazy88No.1
Widescreen rocks! smile

maboy
I just hope they dont trim the picture as many other pictures do. I just hope they do as PIXAR did with Finding Nemo and The incredibles in which they did not trim the movie frame but opened the top and bottom space from the widescreen and showed more of the space for the full screen. Ihope i explained myself right

HateWork
if it was up to me, fullscreen wouldn't even exist. i LOVE my widescreen.

and well it helps to have a beautiful 16x9 HD tv.

LandoSpeeder2
Full screen isn't even watchable for star wars. Look how much full screen cuts off in AOTC.

Cascador
widescreen!

PVS
yeah, star wars (and most great films) is meant for widescreen. although they structure their shots to accomodate trimming for full screen, you always end up losing the original aesthetic quality. its obvious star wars was filmed with a high priority on the look of widescreen format, or there would be no 'pan and scan' or blocked out characters, significant scenery, or things of this sort.

however, it seems that when making the PT, they put alot more consideration for fullscreen as well. those shots in that posted link are not bad. what's really bad is the quality you lose when watching the OT on fullscreen.

Velcro_Boy
FULLSCEEN!!!
j/k widescreen all the way!

Sadako of Girth
4:3 ratio.........!!! puke

smoker4
3-Dhttp://images.killermovies.com/forums/moresmilies/eek.gif

Sith Master X
Widescreen.

lucasfilm
Originally posted by kremzike
After showing a friend the new ending on my widescreen ROTJ DVD, I then pulled out my fullscreen VHS tape to remind him how it used to look. That was a painful excercise. Seeing the low quality image AND how terribly zoomed in it looked was awful. Gotta be widescreen.

ROFL!!! TOTALLY!!

Velcro_Boy
closing....

Julie
full screen is nice....wide screen is prob nicer but I'd have to have a bigger tv

Obi-OneManShow
The best and the worst:

Here it's totally obvious how much you miss and how annoying 4:3 is
http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/release/video/f20020925/img/66535_bg.jpg
http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/release/video/f20020925/img/66647_bg.jpg

But in 4:3's defence; here you only see the characters you wanna see wink
http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/release/video/f20020925/img/65928_bg.jpg

JKozzy
Widescreen, for every reason said previously. Hm, funny how those who voted fullscreen didn't post...

I don't need a big TV to watch widescreen, personally I don't understand this invisible requirement that 'I need a huge TV to watch widescreen'... all I care about is not having the movie cropped to hell and back.

LandoSpeeder2
Originally posted by Obi-OneManShow

laughing

Sadako of Girth
I hate 4:3 with a vengence... But man that nearly convinced me! laughing

Darth_Decimator
whenever i see a movie on tv its always pan and scan and the picture quality is bloody crappy. i luv widescreen, you cant beat it.

darthmonkey9206
Widescreen all the way! rolling on floor laughing

Sadako of Girth
yes

Lord Tyrant
Originally posted by Obi-OneManShow
The best and the worst:

Here it's totally obvious how much you miss and how annoying 4:3 is
http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/release/video/f20020925/img/66535_bg.jpg
http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/release/video/f20020925/img/66647_bg.jpg

LOL!!!

((The_Anomaly))
it depends really....i own all the star wars on full screen, only cause i usually play DVD's on my computer, and its kinda small on Widescreen.

Vholïk
Is Star Wars the BENCHMARK on "Widescreen"??!!?? I have not yet compared frame by frame Star Wars Widescreen vs. Fullscreen, but will bet that George Lucas made sure that his films were TRULY widescreen. Back in 1999, Starwars was used in comparison with Widescreen and Fullscreen at a DVD store when I complained to the salesperson of how I had witnessed side by side comparisons of a movie in fullscreen and widescreen and that the WIDESCREEN HAD INDEED CROPPED AND CHOPPED FROM THE ORIGINAL FULLSCREEN INSTEAD OF REMASTERING FROM THE ORIGINAL FILM STRIPS!!! BUNCH OF CHEATS IN THE FILM INDUSTRY HAS BEEN PULLING THE WOOL OVER PEOPLES EYES!!!! JUST BECAUSE IT SAYS WIDESCREEN ON YOUR DVD, THERE IS NO GARAUNTEE THAT IT IS THE ORIGINAL FILM AS SEEN IN MOVIE THEATERS!!!

When Babylon 5 became widescreen on the SciFi channel, I became dissapointed when I compared TNT's Fullscreen versions side by side with Sci Fi's Widescreen version. EVERY SINGLE COMPUTER ANIMATION OF THE SPACESHIP SCENES HAD BEEN CROPPED AND CHOPPED FROM THE ORIGINAL FULLSCREEN. And to top it all off, several of the early episodes in either season 1 or 2 had been cropped and chopped with many of the actors and actressess heads chopped off near the hairline, unlike TNT's Fullscreen versions. Disgusted, I was going to edit all 110+ episodes and combine both TNT's Fullscreen ANIMATION with Sci Fi's Widescreen ACTING FOOTAGE, so that EVERY SINGLE FRAME would retain ALL OF THE POSSIBLE PICTURE. After I finished the first episode of season one, I decided it was TOO TIME CONSUMING, as I had spent well over 20 hours editing just one episode, and then all the time it took for my Pentium II 333MHZ computer to proccess the video back in 2001.

I just took two pictures of my computer screen of the movie "The Order" (with Heath Ledger not the one with Van Dam) from the fourth chapter in which I paused within the first second. Since this DVD is double sided with FULLSCREEN on one side and ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN on the other, I decided to over exemplify the problem:

Vholïk
Notice in the Fullscreen you can see the Cup. Even though there is a little more shoulder on the right in the widescreen mode, this clearly is a degredation that I do not tolerate!!!!!!!!!

DeVi| D0do
All Star Wars films are originally widescreen 2.35:1. There is nothing cut out of the widescreen versions of Star Wars - it's the fullscreen versions that are cropped. I guarantee you.

As for the above film, my only explanation would be that two versions of the film were released - widescreen and fullscreen. The aspect ratio on IMDb is listed as 1.85:1, so the widescreen version is how it was meant to be seen. I could be wrong, but I think most films are actually shot 4:3, but cropped to widescreen later. Here, the filmmaker/studio probably thought it best for this fullscreen shot to extend the shot vertically (showing more of the characterrather than cutting the sides.

garn
That happens often. Some films are shot on Super35 stock with a 1.33:1 (full-screen) aspect ratio while keeping in mind that the film will be matted when projected. They're matted (bars are added) for theatrical distribution and for home video release you either get one or the other, or both, depending on the director's (studio's, in most cases) preference. This goes for many films that eventually live up the majority of their lives on television/cable.

Vholïk

Vholïk
Originally posted by garn
That happens often. Some films are shot on Super35 stock with a 1.33:1 (full-screen) aspect ratio while keeping in mind that the film will be matted when projected. They're matted (bars are added) for theatrical distribution and for home video release you either get one or the other, or both, depending on the director's (studio's, in most cases) preference. This goes for many films that eventually live up the majority of their lives on television/cable.

I will say it again:

At the beginning of the FULLSCREEN version, the movie CLEARLY states that this FULLSCREEN version with this quote: "The following film has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit this screen." THIS MEANS THAT THIS FILM WAS NOT SHOT IN 4:3 (OR 1.33:1)!!!

DeVi| D0do

DeVi| D0do
The last three movies on this page are examples of widescreen films modified by means of extension to fit 4:3 (fullscreen) TVs:

http://www.twowiresthin.com/aspect/

Vholïk
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
The last three movies on this page are examples of widescreen films modified by means of extension to fit 4:3 (fullscreen) TVs:

Yes, I will agree that there are plenty of movies where Widescreen is indeed the better choice. But not for the movie "The Order (with Heath Ledger)". At least 15% of the film is lost in the Widescreen version. I used photoshop so as to GRAPHICALLY give this comparison an easy to see problem with some widescreen formats:

DeVi| D0do
Yeah, I see your point. Though I think the filmmaker made a wise choice here...

In the widescreen version, like you said, the cup is cut out. But the only way to include the cup in the WS shot would be to sacrifice the top of the actors head, which is not a great thing to do. The fullscreen version allowed the cup to be seen while keeping heath's head. With what the filmmaker had to work with, it was probably the best decision to cut the cup.

Anyway, this is getting offtopic - this is a Star Wars forum. big grin

garn
The Order with Keith Ledger

Vholïk

Vholïk
Originally posted by garn
The Order with Keith Ledger

His name is Heath not Keith.

garn
Once again folks, The Order with Heath Ledger.

Vholïk
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Yeah, I see your point. Though I think the filmmaker made a wise choice here...

In the widescreen version, like you said, the cup is cut out. But the only way to include the cup in the WS shot would be to sacrifice the top of the actors head, which is not a great thing to do. The fullscreen version allowed the cup to be seen while keeping heath's head. With what the filmmaker had to work with, it was probably the best decision to cut the cup.

Anyway, this is getting offtopic - this is a Star Wars forum. big grin

I hadn't read your posting when I digressed above and got way off topic (EXCEPT THAT IN A ROUND ABOUT WAY THAT "MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU" IS ACTUALLY SOMETHING REAL THAT CANNOT BE MEASURED DIRECTLY SINCE SCIENTISTS CANNOT BUILD AN ANTENNA SMALLER THAN THE SIZE OF A QUARK, LET ALONE AN ATOM, IN ORDER TO PROVE ITS EXISTSENCE).

Have a goodnight / great day, as I am signing off for now.

garn
Quit spamming intensively.

Bicnarok
I hate having that fiddley stripe of a picture on the TV. If I had enough dosh to buy a widescreen tv then widescreen otherwise fullscreen is my chosen thing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.