The Office (New Sitcom, not the other one)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Myth
This looks really funny. It has the guy who was the retarded weatherman in Anchorman and was the rival anchor in Bruce Almighty. I've seen 2 commercials so far that look great.

Guy To secretary: "Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to be our cheerleader"
Fat woman in the room: "I'll do it"
Guy: "Ewww"

laughing

Myth
Ok, I have never seen the British one so I don't know how to compair, but the American one is freakin hilarious.

"This is like slavery vs the Holocaust."

Red Superfly
"The other one".

Dear God, nothing is sacred to you Americans.

It doesn't star Ricky Gervais, it isn't written by him or Steve Merchant. They should have called it something else.

*ticks off 'The Office' as yet another fantastic show corporate America has stolen from the UK, re-packaged and turned to shite for the masses*

This is just like Men Behaving Badly, Coupling, Red Dwarf, Italien Job and God knows what else America has tried to copy but failed miserably.

It's practically insulting when America thinks it deserves to re-write everything it sees fit in order for it to go down in it's country. Does everything HAVE to be re-written so it's a load of colourful, over-the-top, cartoony crap with high production values and UNFUNNINESS?

I mean, they go through all the typical American sitcom motions. Fat joke? Check. Gay joke? Check. Punchlines over subtelty? Check.

Deano
the british one is way superior
i agree with red superfly...why do americans feel they have to remake shows
the office is perfect..so why try and mess about with it
fools

jaden101
i love the office (British version os course)...its like a train wreck waiting to happen...some bits are so cringe worthy that you have to turn over the channel...

aint seen the american version...dont want to...i can only imagine how crap it will be...

2 funny programmes have come out of america...one of seinfeld and the other is isnt the office

Myth
Don't get me wrong, I want to see the original The Office and wish it was aired on American television. However, it does not mean this one isn't funny. The main guy does what he does best so it must have its own twist on the show.

Deano
watch the original..its is genious

try and get the british men behaving badly sitcom
there was a american remake made starring rob shneider...the original is much better

Myth
I have been trying to find a place to download the originals but no success yet. I will find it, oh yes, I will find it.

DeVi| D0do
The Office (the original) is pure brilliance!

I havn't seen this american version yet, but I can see how it will turn out

MetallicaT
i saw the first 3 episodes, thought it was hilarious, Steve carell (the boss) fits that character so well

I've seen the British series too and i think the American version is just as good or better smile

Myth
They are just not giving it a chance because they are racist.... er.... uh whatever you call being prejudice of Americans.

Deano
wrong....why do i wanna see somethin thats a complete ripoff ??
i bet more british people will see the american office than americans will see the british version

only fools and horses is offically number 1 sitcom in britian..what chance has that been given in america? no chance...i bet u have never even heard of it
my point proved

Deano
http://www.ananova.com/images/web/33543.jpg

Myth
Originally posted by Deano
wrong....why do i wanna see somethin thats a complete ripoff ??
i bet more british people will see the american office than americans will see the british version

only fools and horses is offically number 1 sitcom in britian..what chance has that been given in america? no chance...i bet u have never even heard of it
my point proved

Hey, I'd be willing to watch it. Its kind of like re-makes of movies. Usually they suck, but every once in a while there is a good one. The Office is one of those exceptions.

Deano
office didnt need remaking though..no way

Myth
That may be. All I'm saying though is that just because this is a copy of the British version, it doesn't mean it is bad.

Deano
it wont be bad....its just pointless really

Solo
I love The Office. Hilarious.

Deano
which one?

papabeard
Ive seen it and it is bad, its weird when you see a reinterpretation of a sitcom, especially one like the office

Solo
which one?
Both. But in the previous post, I was speaking of the American Office.

Although, the series did have a bad start, this season is going very swell.

Solo
This show has improved so much from the previous season, I'm being forced to bump this. It really does deserve more attention.

DaveyC
sorry, but I have to agree with Deano. After seeing both versions of "The Office" the US version just doesn't cut it. The script is almost identical verbatim and the jokes simply aren't delivered with the same dry English sense of humour and timing. It might as well be stamped "Made in Taiwan"!

SupezM'
Friend loaned me season 2 on DVD so I watched it and I really like the show.

Before watching season 2 I wasnt familiar with the show so I dont really know the schedule, just wondering what season and episode its on now and when they air.

If anyone follows this show and can give me some information it would be much appreciated.

RZA
It started as a BBC series before it became an American show. I believe it's on it's 3rd season and it's part of NBC's Thursday lineup. I've had some co-workers that say it's really funny but personally I'm not a fan.

jaden101
why they didn't just stop at 2 seasons in the US i dont know...comedy usually loses its appeal by then...hence the superior UK office stopped at 2 seasons...as did phoenix nights

trigger happy tv season 3...shit
bo selecta season 3....shit
league of gentlemen season 3...shit

Lyna303
erm...the few episodes i saw of the office (american version) i really liked...

steve carrell cracks me up...

masterkit
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=331319&highlight=The+Office+forumid%3A36

Search Function smile

vintageSW77
Originally posted by jaden101
why they didn't just stop at 2 seasons in the US i dont know...comedy usually loses its appeal by then...hence the superior UK office stopped at 2 seasons...as did phoenix nights

trigger happy tv season 3...shit
bo selecta season 3....shit
league of gentlemen season 3...shit

Series 3 of Bo wasnt THAT bad
it gave us ELIJAH WOOD and the SPIDERMAN spoof

vintageSW77
Did the U.S ever get BO SELECTA?

lord xyz
The Office is aweful.

jaden101
Originally posted by Lyna303
erm...the few episodes i saw of the office (american version) i really liked...

steve carrell cracks me up...

i liked what i saw of it also...the episode when they get the guy to hide in the box and he takes ages to get out....brilliant

i just think it's hard for comedy series to stay good after more than a couple of seasons....

jaden101
Originally posted by vintageSW77
Series 3 of Bo wasnt THAT bad
it gave us ELIJAH WOOD and the SPIDERMAN spoof

2 words....RONNAAAYYY BAAARRRKKAAAYYY

Solo
Season Three has reach such high levels of hilarity, it's great.

Lyna303
Originally posted by jaden101
i liked what i saw of it also...the episode when they get the guy to hide in the box and he takes ages to get out....brilliant

i just think it's hard for comedy series to stay good after more than a couple of seasons....
i just watched it a few days ago and it still makes me laugh...it was the one where Dwight trains the new guy...

a1hsauce
haha yah good episode!...I hate the timing of Dwight and the Temp when Jim and Pam were having a moment!!!!! DAMN THOSE TWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad

Solo
Season Three is the best season yet.

Deano
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kyuTGW0gPA

the brit version will always reign.

i just cannot liken to the US version.

Solo
For sure, the BBC Office is classic.

Deano
i just hate remakes. its like britain trying to remake the simpsons. leave the american classic alone.

i think the directors are insulting the american public.

Deano
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OQBNy83YwHI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=A9fVAtMl7SE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=F0IGpiHVWJY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_TwGTVfFf0

funny clips.

office jesus
Originally posted by Red Superfly
"The other one".

Dear God, nothing is sacred to you Americans.

It doesn't star Ricky Gervais, it isn't written by him or Steve Merchant. They should have called it something else.

*ticks off 'The Office' as yet another fantastic show corporate America has stolen from the UK, re-packaged and turned to shite for the masses*

This is just like Men Behaving Badly, Coupling, Red Dwarf, Italien Job and God knows what else America has tried to copy but failed miserably.

It's practically insulting when America thinks it deserves to re-write everything it sees fit in order for it to go down in it's country. Does everything HAVE to be re-written so it's a load of colourful, over-the-top, cartoony crap with high production values and UNFUNNINESS?

I mean, they go through all the typical American sitcom motions. Fat joke? Check. Gay joke? Check. Punchlines over subtelty? Check.

Dude. I'm an American and even I think the new Office is utter shite compared to the British version. And I agree. The fact that we're dumbing down good TV is utterly pointless.

Lyna303
ermm i really like the American one, but ive never seen the British one, so i don't know...

Lunch_Meat
The American version is awesome, and the best show on television now. Season 2 was perfect, I didn't really care for the first 2 or 3 episodes of the Season 3, but it's now starting to be insanely great. I haven't seen the British version and I honestly don't want to, i've never cared for British humor.

Deano
humour is humour. doesnt matter where it comes from

Lyna303
The American one is brilliant, don't care whatever the rest of you say...

http://www.youtube.com/v/I1Pg7sAM0Es

Ronny
Its my new favorite show laughing I was drinking dr pepper and Andy started singing the cranberries. It hurts to squirt dr pepper out of your nose...

I must be like.. 10 pounds lighter after watching that show... I laughed so hard.

LethalFemme
I've never watched.ninja

Strangelove
I need to watch it more hmm

Ronny
It's so ****ing funny laughing out loud Its like.. really.. strange... I don't know.. Its realistic funny, like shit that actually happens

Theres a guy Dwight, and hes really creepy looking but hes like, hillarious. And Steve Carrell from anchorman is in it hysterical

I love DVR *wipes away a tear*

Ronny
Originally posted by Strangelove
I need to watch it more hmm you really do no expression

Scottie
Originally posted by Ronny
Its my new favorite show laughing I was drinking dr pepper and Andy started singing the cranberries. It hurts to squirt dr pepper out of your nose...

I must be like.. 10 pounds lighter after watching that show... I laughed so hard. the uk version is better ermm

LethalFemme
It's so ****ing funny laughing out loud Its like.. really.. strange... I don't know.. Its realistic funny, like shit that actually happens

Theres a guy Dwight, and hes really creepy looking but hes like, hillarious. And Steve Carrell from anchorman is in it hysterical

I love DVR *wipes away a tear*

I have DVR. Its one of the best things ever.ermmcry

Strangelove
Originally posted by Scottie
the uk version is better ermm Ricky Gervais has admitted that the US version is better no expression

Ronny
the uk version is better ermm I never saw the UK version. stick out tongue This one is based off the UK one.

Scottie
Ricky Gervais has admitted that the US version is better no expression he was drunk at the time ermm

Scottie
I never saw the UK version. stick out tongue This one is based off the UK one. yeh, tis good thumb up you should check it out

Strangelove
he was drunk at the time ermm that's what they all say

Ronny
yeh, tis good thumb up you should check it out I think it plays on BBC...

Scottie
that's what they all say not "all" ted wasnt drunk when he said "zzzzzzzzz" he was asleep.....sobber asleep

Scottie
I think it plays on BBC... yes yeh Martin Freeman (the guy form hitchhikers guide to the galaxy) is in it, he plays tim

hes very good smile

Ushgarak
Ricky Gervais has admitted that the US version is better no expression

Holy geez you know nothing about the man...

As for the person who says he does not like UK humour... what the hell do you think The OPffice IS? Even the US version is UK humour, so much of it is verbatim. Good way to make yourself look stupid, that comment.

Sweet Escape
I love this show so much.

It is amazing laughing

And Jim is adorable stick out tongue

exanda kane
The American Office is such a drag. Sure, I like Steve Carell, but he just isn't David Brent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0IGpiHVWJY

Sweet Escape
I love this show laughing

Its inspired everyone at my job to **** with eachother. Like, someone ceran-wrapped another person's car. Its hilarious stick out tongue

chillmeistergen
I'm an absolute fanatic of the British show, but I despise the American version. It really is very dumbed down compared to the British one.

forumcrew
the finale is gonna have michael, jim, and karen competing for a job at corporate so i guess this is where karen leaves the show and they get back to jim lusting for pam.

Sweet Escape
I hope so. Cause I really liked Jim and Pam, I thought it was adorable. The whole scene when he tells her is amazing

pcp
The American Office is shit

Sweet Escape
New Office tonight droolio

exanda kane
I'd heared some good things about this US version, decided to give it a try and I don't think I'll be watching it again. Poor.

chillmeistergen
I gave the U.S version a chance and it was absolutely shoddy and I think insulting to the original.

Solo
Ignore the first season.

chillmeistergen
I'm doing my best to ignore the whole thing.

Solo
That's silly.

Tattoo
Originally posted by Solo
Ignore the first season.

yes

The first season was just a copy of the first season of the original, with new actors and some minor differences. The humor didn't translate the same for the US version. They came into their own style in season 2.

chillmeistergen
My problem isn't with the content of the actual programme, it's that it bears the same name as the original version. I feel that it is an insult to the U.S that they have got a reproduced version of the programme we have here, with nearly all the subtlety sucked out of it.

Tattoo
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
My problem isn't with the content of the actual programme, it's that it bears the same name as the original version. I feel that it is an insult to the U.S that they have got a reproduced version of the programme we have here, with nearly all the subtlety sucked out of it.

If you think that's bad, did you know we here in the US are going to get a bastardized version of The IT Crowd? That's not going to work at all. sad

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Tattoo
If you think that's bad, did you know we here in the US are going to get a bastardized version of The IT Crowd? That's not going to work at all. sad

Dear oh dear, no I didn't know that. That truly is sad and patronising, that show seems to me fit for any kind of audience. It's a sitcom that deliberately did not appeal to a niche market, I honestly don't know why they're doing that.
I see it as extremely offensive to deem certain programmes unfit for different nations.

Tattoo
Dear oh dear, no I didn't know that. That truly is sad and patronising, that show seems to me fit for any kind of audience. It's a sitcom that deliberately did not appeal to a niche market, I honestly don't know why they're doing that.
I see it as extremely offensive to deem certain programmes unfit for different nations.

They are bringing in Richard Ayoade to reprise his role as Moss, but then we get Joel McHale from Talk Soup to be the fellow IT Crowd guy...he's not a nerd! That's ruining the show right there.

Punkyhermy
i recently got into this.

jim/pam = love!

Tattoo
Originally posted by Punkyhermy
i recently got into this.

jim/pam = love!

Jim/Pam = JAM. stick out tongue

forumcrew
I imagine they are getting rid of Karen with the finale to open back up jim/pam. You know Michael or Jim isnt getting the job and going to corporate so it must be Karen.

Bardock42
US is better than UK for season one.

Fact

DARKLORDCAEDUS
This is a very funny show. Steve Carel and Rainn Wilson are a laugh a minute and Jenna Fischer, she is very funny.

Five-0
Originally posted by Solo
Season Three is the best season yet.

yep

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Bardock42
US is better than UK for season one.

Fact

Nah.

Bardock42
Nah. It actually is though.

And the rest of US is also pretty sweet.

Quiero Mota
Michael and Dwight are a perfect comic foil.

BlackC@
I love the american version. John Krasinski is so hot! eek!

fruits
So what does everyone think of the new season so far?

Fuzzy Hawkeye
Michael: Jim, Can I stay With You?
Jim: My Aprtment's on Fire.
Pam: Flooded.
Jim: My apartment's flooded.

that episode was greatness.

oakling
This season is awesome. I'm glad that they're using Dwight and Angela for relationship drama instead of Jim and Pam. At least so far; I'm only up to the first four episodes!

m.ramius
fools

Bit of an elitist attitude, eh?

Both countries bring their quality televisions shows to each other's markets. We're not "fools" and neither are you. It's called "sharing" and sharing creative ideas is always good for everyone involved.

Here's a list of British television shows that were remade/re-written for British audiences. So please, ratchet down the hate and try to enjoy things.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5ngb5m

the.kenzo
Originally posted by m.ramius
Bit of an elitist attitude, eh?

Both countries bring their quality televisions shows to each other's markets. We're not "fools" and neither are you. It's called "sharing" and sharing creative ideas is always good for everyone involved.

Here's a list of British television shows that were remade/re-written for British audiences. So please, ratchet down the hate and try to enjoy things.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5ngb5m

You're responding to a post from 4 years ago. no expression

m.ramius
Ok, should I have started a new thread?

How about you guys just let the moderators moderate? Just be a member and if I do anything wrong let the moderators tell me.

Bardock42
fools

US one is better. Fact.

soulkat9
I think this show is hilarious

Deano
Originally posted by Bardock42
US one is better. Fact.

fool

Quincy
The latest episode was hilarious. Possibly one of the funniest yet.

moneyhoney
Such a funny episode

My fav part of the show is the fued betweem Dwight and Jim

Anyone see that Movie that Dwight was in "The Rocker"? It was like an alternate reality if Dwight had taken the path of music isntead of office work.

PaperGangsta
Originally posted by moneyhoney
Such a funny episode

My fav part of the show is the fued betweem Dwight and Jim

Anyone see that Movie that Dwight was in "The Rocker"? It was like an alternate reality if Dwight had taken the path of music isntead of office work.

haha yeah the feud between dwight and jim was funny! i love this show.. i watch it every thursday night! but yeah i just bought the DVD for The Rocker! I never thought of it like that, but it is like he followed music instead! haha it was a hilarious movie! did you ever play the games online on the website for the DVD ?

saintsaucey
I just recently got into the office. I love how obscure it is. I love Jim's pranks on Dwight and I love the direction the series is going with the Michael Scott Paper Company. My question is where is the paper they sell coming from. are they using the same distributor as Dunder Mifflin. I assumed that they worked exclusively for Dunder Mifflen but maybe not. My question is why are Michael Pam and Ryan still being interviewed if they no longer work for Dunder Mifflin. the documentary makes no sense

saintsaucey
The Office USA Version

I did a search and didn't see a thread for the US version of the Office. I find that a little suspect but I am confident if there is one the Mod's will see fit to merge the two threads.

I just recently got into this series. I wasn't a huge fan of Steve Carrel and I the brief glimpse I got of the UK version didn't entertain me (though I am going to have to watch it and see how wrong I am about that.) So I intentionally avoided the show. I recently started watching it and even more recently bought the first four seasons of the show and watched them in order from Wednesday through Saturday morning at about 4 or 5 am.

Great fracken show. All of the characters just give it their all in every episode. Even the back ground characters who aren't the stars of the show but have their moments where they steal the scene from Jim Pam Dwight or Michael.

I think My favorite characters who aren't the main ones are Creed, Stanley, Kevin and Angela. I would so be chasing after Angela. Something about tweedy uptight girls just gets me fired up. My only problem with her is she is supposed to be a very strict Christian but she totally Sleeps around as much as Pam or Kelly.

One of my favorite moments is when Stanley yells at Ryan for what he assumes is Ryan hitting on his daughter. The Did I Stutter episode is okay but the Bring Your Daughter To Work Day moment between the two of them is much better. I liked them paired up in the episode where they go out to make sales calls.

Jim and Dwight may antagonize each other but that scene where they are working together on the sales call is brilliant. Jim and Pam in the early seasons is probably one of the most heartbreaking couples I have ever seen. Why she would insist on staying with Roy as long as she did just baffles my mind.

Creed is under used but that may be intentional because a little bit goes along way. I really don't understand how there can be so many self unaware people in one office. Michael, Kelly, Kevin, Dwight, Angela, Andy, Jan, Meredith, Roy, and Phylis with Jim, Pam, Stanley, Ryan, Oscar, Toby, and Daryl being the only ones who aren't completely unaware of their actions and how they affect or appear to everyone else.

I'm one of the most unaccepted people I know in terms of getting along with the people I work with but at least I know I am unaccepted and try to reign my self in and not ramble endlessly about stuff that I know people will be annoyed with. I think I could actually work there and not stick out among the rest nut jobs.

Tonights show was pretty awesome. I'm glad that Michael Pam and Ryan are all back at Dunder Miflin. It was funny to see the way Michael handled That boss at the end of the episode.

We haven't really gotten to see the new receptionist yet so she should be fun and really the only people we saw in office was Dwight Andy Kelly and Angela. No Phyliss, Meredith, Toby, Kevin, or Oscar. I wonder how Jim is going to handle having Pam on the sales staff. I'm pretty sure that Jim and Pam are eloping next week but I could be wrong.

It will be good to see some of the focus on the rest of the office with them all back together. I liked when Pam asked Michael if he had brought coffee and his reply was Milk and Sugar. I knew as soon as he said it that that was all that was in the cup.

So Pam is a Sales person at Dunder Miflin Ryan may or may not be a temp at Dunder Miflin. and Creed thinks Jim is gay and wants to set him up with his daughter. Nice. Odds are Jim and Pam elope next week.

saintsaucey
Solicitation From Previews Issue # 248 On Page 428

Six Employees, one Team Building Clue Game, nine Office weapons! Michael Scott has called six of his Dunder Mifflin emplyees into work on a Saturday. Upon arrival they discover Toby (Michael's nemesis from HR) "dead" in the lobby. Along with Toby are instructions for a mandatory Team Building Game Of Clue in which the office workersmust compete. The Prize: an additional week of paid vacation for the winner! The employees must determine: WHO "killed" Toby, with WHAT office weapon, and WHERE the crime occurred. (C: 1-1-3) NOTE: Available only within the United States and U.S. Territories.

Okay so there are bunches of versions of the game clue. Kid versions, Master Detective versions, Harry Potter versions, even Simpson versions, (Saved By The Bell even did a version of the movie) but I'd have to say this is the most brilliant and believable.

Of course Michael would do this as a team building exercise. Of course he would pick Toby as the victim.

There is so many possibilities for this game it is staggering. Who are the six employees? My guesses are (Dwight as Colonel Mustard) (Jim as Mr. Green) and either (Andy or Ryan as Professor Plum) (Pam as Ms. Peacock) (Angela as Mrs. White) and any number of the women in the office (as Miss Scarlett.) (My pick would be Meredith as she is one of the most promiscuous members of the office.)

As for who killed Toby there is no garantee that it is someone from the six members that Michale invited to the game. It could have been any of the other members of the office which means the other members could be involved in the game as well.

Also this could mean we would get a mab of the office. They call it the annex and say it is far enough away to consider it being banished from the office but Jim claims he can hear Toby and Kelly playing Dunderball from his desk.

What are the Nine Weapons? It could litterally be anything from the show. One of Dwights Weapons or Bobble Heads. A stapler, A pencil, a vending machine a coffee maker or pot, Michael's World's Best Boss Mug, The Forklift from the warehouse. anything is up for grabs as a weapon.

I really can't wait for this game to become available .

http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/boardgames_2052_22540827

saintsaucey
YAY Pam and Jim are having a baby I can't wait for next season.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.