Overhyping of mechanical Vader

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

astrofan428
Now that all the promotional material is beginning to surface am I the only who thinks using the OT Vader to sell this movie is the wrong way to do it. I know the entire PT leads to the creation of Vader, but I believe from everything we have seen and heard so far that the face of this movie should be Hayden's Anakin/Vader. From what I have seen he looks basically what the one of the greatest villians in movie history would have looked like if we could have seen him. If not him alone than the combo of Obi and Ani should be the main focus.

Even though I will loooooooovvvvveeeee this movie, I still want it to do well and reach a level none of the movies have hit. What are people who are not in the know like us gonna think when they see Vader stand around for five minutes and say a few lines.

Im not sure how this thread will be recieved, but if its 1:30 in the morning here so if nobody likes it will probably go in peace. But I would like to here some other peoples opinion on this matter.

tlbauerle
I agree...and have said the same thing many times...

BAILY
I personally dont care to see too much Mech Vader.... and I am glad he isnt in it too much... but enough with the over hyping... jeez the public is gonna be pissed to see that he isnt in it as much as is suggested

astrofan428
EXACTLY

LanİeWindu™
I don't think they'll mind, the movie unto itself will redeem for the fact we won't see Vader that much.

Hayden looks absolutely evil, he IS Darth Vader.

Envious Eyes
Hayden plays Anakin very well... but until I see the movie, I'm not sure how well he plays Darth Vader.

But anyways, "Episode III" is going to be amazing. I'm also pretty excited to see "War of the Worlds."

bilb
Yeah I think alot of folks are gonna be mad when they come out of the theatre & have seen only a few minutres of Vader since he is on EVERY single piece of merchandise...

Darth_Nefarus
Mech Vader is my favorite character and the main reason I love Star Wars.
However, like Lucas said, this is about what happened to Anakin that cost him everything and I think it's awesome the way it is being done.
However, as most agree, we could see at least one or two Jedi being massacred by the weezing monster.

mephistodesigns
I love the mech vader, but damn Anakin looks bad with his hood up and that look on his face! I would like to see a lot more of that in the promo material!

Jedi Priestess
Now see I think in a way this could be worked to introduce people to the OT if they havent seen it. And there's plenty of Vader in the OT.

astrofan428
Yeah I think anyone who has only seen the new movies(if they exist) will see the creation of Vader and be like what the hell, I want to see the rest of the movies to see this guy.

But for people who liked the originals but havent cared for the new ones will see all the promos and hey Darth Vader is in this one, and even though the movie will be great those kinds of people will be disappointed.

Jedi Priestess
Really? This must be some kind of kid thing. I dont get it myself. The entire saga is the story of Anakin Skywalker and his redemption, not how Darth Vader wiped out the galaxy.

astrofan428
This is not how I view the saga, it is just how I think average movie fans will respond if they are going by the promos which heavly feature Vader(just like the new poster).

tachie5
I agree with JP. This is how Anakin became Vader and not how Vader destroyed the Jedi. However, I would have been happy with that scenario had Lucas chosen to go at it from that standpoint

bilb
Yeah the story is about Anakin & his downfall, but thats not whats being merchandised. EVERYTHING from Cheezits to poptarts have mech Vader on it. I just think alot of non hardcore fans are gonna be upset at his lack of screentime..

DARTH STEVIOUS
I think vader is in it a little more than what we all think as the figure comes with a light saber attack and most promo pics are with vader holding his light saber which sugests to me that there will be a little fighting. It may well be vader that sends Yoda running we will just have to wait and see but this is my veiw. I am also glad that lucas is not focusing on darth killing the jedi as what star wars needs is better acting and story telling and i think they will get this with ROTS as lucas says its like Titanic in space.

bilb
I'd like to see that but I really doubt that we will see Vader weilding a saber at all..

SithSpy
I think too much weight is being put on the quote from lucas about it being like titanic in space, he meant only that we know whats gonna happen at the end allready but wanna know how the characters got there, nothing to do with the acting or anything, but yeah they are using mech. vader to sell all the merch. and it will throw some people off, like when they show a character in the one sheet of the movie or their name in the marquee and then they die in the first 5 min. drew barrymore in scream anyone? so some are bound to be disappointed by the lack especially when the main image associated with the movie thus far is that black helmet

Darth Subjekt
Look, all it is, is good marketing. When you hear the words "Star Wars" you most likely think "darth Vader". I know i do and most others do as well. So it stands to reason if youre gonna release a movie with that character, might as well put him out there. I mean this is comin from the same man who never once had the word "ewok" spoken in ROTJ, yet everyone knows what an Ewok is. Once he gets you in the theater, he doesnt care if youre disappointed. He's aid multiple times he's making this movie for HIM, not us or the critics. So its just strong marketing.

J.M FcThumbs-Up
The whole damn issue is not what I'm concerned about.
But yeah I agree with the others, this is not the "MECHVADER DESTROYING THE JEDI-movie", it's about the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker a.k.a Darth Vader(non-mech). The OT is about the return of the Jedi=>Luke and Anakin(mech)!

About that Mech-Vader screentime; I believe it's not much, as we can expect 5 minutes of Mech-Vader.
What I think is that it doesn't actually have to be 5 minutes at once.
The thing is we will see Mech-Vader rise, we will see him on the bridge of a StarDestroyer and we will hear him spit a few words, all intercut ofcourse.
So what I believe(well...I hope), is that GL still has something special planned which we all don't know about.

Sith Master X
Originally posted by BAILY
I personally dont care to see too much Mech Vader.... and I am glad he isnt in it too much...

I agree completely. It's not that I don't like Vader or anything, but the whole point to this movie is how Anakin falls to the dark side and becomes Darth Vader in the very end. I hate when people complain that there isn't enough Vader in the film, becuase if he had alot of screen time, the movie wouldn't be balanced very well.

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Originally posted by Sith Master X
I agree completely. It's not that I don't like Vader or anything, but the whole point to this movie is how Anakin falls to the dark side and becomes Darth Vader in the very end. I hate when people complain that there isn't enough Vader in the film, becuase if he had alot of screen time, the movie wouldn't be balanced very well.

wink ...agreed SMX.
I believe Anakin Skywalker will show us the true nature of Darth Vader!
For the balancing-movies sake, we don't need a whole movie about mech Vader slaughtering Jedi!

smokin' peace

bilb
I hope there are still some surprises as well, seeing as I have NO will power to keep myself away from spoilers!! stick out tongue

amity75
Apparently mech Vader is only on screen for about 10 minutes but if you think about it, he can't be on screen for much more than that in ANH if you spread out his appearances throughout the whole film. If I get the time I'm gonna watch it again and add up his screen time.

DCLXVI
Agreed SMX. wink

But I do hate how Lucas is using the success of the OT to pump up and hopefully make his PT less crappy.....no

bilb
Originally posted by amity75
Apparently mech Vader is only on screen for about 10 minutes but if you think about it, he can't be on screen for much more than that in ANH if you spread out his appearances throughout the whole film. If I get the time I'm gonna watch it again and add up his screen time.

Actually that would be a cool thing to know.... Let us know what you find smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.