3-on-3 Marvel Tournament

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

azndrgn
So I got to thinking...since there's a 3-on-3 versus limit in this forum, why don't we have ourselves a little 3-on-3 Marvel Tournamet to see which Marvel trio would be best in battle? To save us all the trouble of endless debating as to who should be put on what team, I've compiled 16 teams as logical and balanced as possible.

Tournament Rules:
1. Team criteria - Members are/have been on an established team together, are/have been members of different versions of an established team, or have clearly worked together outside of an official team. Members were then chosen who mostly fit the categories of fighter type/strength type/power type (power meaning energy blasts, telepathy, telekinesis, intangbility, etc.)
2. Members of each team are their standard versions (i.e., no 8th day Juggernaut, Phoenix Jean Grey, War Hulk/Cable, etc.)
3. There are NO resrictions on the powers/weapons that each member normally uses.
4. Teams will NOT have prep time, but their health, energy, weapons and ammunition will be replenished before each battle.
5. Battles are to the death. Teams need not worry of killing friends because of the knowledge that they will be revived after the fight (meaning everyone fights to the best of their ability).

Here is the list of teams in the tournament in no particular order. The matches will be posted soon with one match per thread so that voting can be accurate.

1. Wolverine, Colossus, Jean Grey
2. Bishop , Beast, Cyclops
3. Nightcrawler, Rogue, Storm
4. Captain America, She-Hulk, Ironman
5. Black Panther, Thor, Scarlet Witch
6. Hawkeye, Wonder Man, Vision
7. Shatterstar, Warpath, Cable
8. Multiple Man, Strong Guy, Polaris
9. Mr. Fantastic, The Thing, Invisible Woman
10. Spider-man, Hulk, Dr. Strange
11. Sabertooth, Juggernaut, Magneto
12. Toad, The Blob, Pyro
13. Demogoblin, Carnage, Shriek
14. Dr. Octupus, Rhino, Electro
15. Kraven, Sandman, Mysterio
16. Lizard, Venom, Shocker

kgkg

those team will be over kill

azndrgn
Originally posted by kgkg

those team will be over kill

Yes, I have been looking at those 2 teams contantly since I came up with this tournament. The above roster is not official so I probably willl find some way to make those teams more even with everyone else.

kgkg
ok because Hulk , and Strange
and Jugs and Mag

those combo will takes any others you just posted with ease.

so ya

LordFear
teams 1-4-5-11 are awesome.
They could take the others without much comp.
1 is really well balanced,

azndrgn
Hey guys, here's an updated roster for the tournament

2. Bishop, Beast, Cyclops
10. Spider-man, Hulk, Ghost Rider
11. Sabertooth, The Blob, Magneto
12. Toad, Juggernaut, Pyro

azndrgn
And I will actually wait a lil bit (maybe a day) to see anybody's responses as to if there are any glaring changes that need to be made.

LordFear
16 could possibly be the weakess link among all of them!!!
Don't see them getting far

azndrgn
Originally posted by LordFear
16 could possibly be the weakess link among all of them!!!
Don't see them getting far

Yeah, the only way I see them winning a battle is through sheer rage and force, but it depends on who they fight. Plus, it was hard as crap to think of 16 teams of 3 characters who have worked together! Had to do a LOT of recalling and researching.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by azndrgn
Hey guys, here's an updated roster for the tournament

10. Spider-man, Hulk, Ghost Rider

Dude, your update for 10 is no better, still overkill. i'll take 4 though.

azndrgn
For the most part, the info I would like to get from your guys' responses are if the teams are balanced enough where any team has a shot to win it all. I would like to randomly draw the matches. Putting them together by my opinion is too subjective and would probably piss some fans off which is something I REALLY want to avoid.

azndrgn
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Dude, your update for 10 is no better, still overkill. i'll take 4 though.

Still makin' changes...

kgkg
i don't see 10 as overkill.

but you might want to remove Ghost Rider becase his too cheap of a char to have a good fight.

where is silver surfer, you may also want to add Apc .

and is this cable(without virus)

LordFear
I see 1 and possibly 4.
One is great because you have brains, brawns, and regenrative/experience.
But 4 also has brains, brawns and experience.
ALthough 1 vs 4 = 4 gets it cuz IM's helmet has been designed to be unaffected by psychic attacks. She could only put illusions on him but with his AI, it wouldn't work.

ragesRemorse
they are actually pretty balanced out. 16 and 15 are pretty weak though.

ragesRemorse
they all have contention though, aside from 15 and 16, and fix 10

azndrgn
i don't see 10 as overkill.

but you might want to remove Ghost Rider becase his too cheap of a char to have a good fight.

where is silver surfer, you may also want to add Apc .

and is this cable(without virus)

For the most part I've tried to avoid including cosmic people who could end a battle all on their own like Surfer and Apocs. Most of the guys in the tournament have demonstrated teamwork to some degree. Though I know Surfer is on Defenders w/ Hulk, but I wouldn't be crazy enough to put those 2 together. And I can't recall clearly, non-virus cable still has telekinetic abilities, yes?

kgkg
telekinetic abilities yes he does but he is uber powerful .
without the virus.

azndrgn
telekinetic abilities yes he does but he is uber powerful .
without the virus.

Ok, yeah. I've been removed from the X-Force series for some time. So please enlighten me on the main differences b/w non-virus Cable and virus Cable.

kgkg
non virus cable is nothing , he uses his guns and shit.

while non-virus cable can munipate matter.
he can attack the mind, shut them down. extreme powerful telekinetic abilities.

you should see the fight he had with surfer they were breaking everything down(matter).

So he can easily take most of the Char on the list.

azndrgn
so virus Cable uses only weapons? No telekinetic abilities?

azndrgn
Roster changes: members of Teams 4, 5 & 6 were switched around. Deathlok replaced Ghost Rider on Team 10.

4. Captain America, She-Hulk, Scarlet Witch
5. Black Panther, Thor, Vision
6. Hawkeye, Wonder Man, Ironman
10. Deathlok, Hulk, Spider-man

LordFear
I still think 15 is complete garbage and 16 is lopsided because only one guy is a real threat, sucks for him cuz he has no backup

azndrgn
I still think 15 is complete garbage and 16 is lopsided because only one guy is a real threat, sucks for him cuz he has no backup

Hehe, as I said before it was extremely difficult trying to get enough teams to make a 3-on-3 tournament. It's just unfortunate that the Sinister teams don't have that many strong characters.

azndrgn
Hey, guys. Here's another roster update: Teams 15 & 16 were made into 1 team by combining Venom w/ Mysterio and adding Hobgoblin. A new team of Quicksilver, Warbird and Firestar was added from the Avengers roster. If I remember correctly, Warbird is pretty strong right?

4. Captain America, She-Hulk, Vision
10. Deathlok, Hulk, Spider-man
15. Hobgoblin, Venom, Mysterio
16. Quicksilver, Warbird, Firestar

jrodslam
Lol. I notice that from the first list of teams, you took Dr.Strange out the tournament completely. I was just gonna say that whatever team hes on, thats the team that wins. But because hes not here anymore id have to go with either team 5, 11, or 8. Dont underestimate Multiple Man and Strong Guy.

azndrgn
Originally posted by jrodslam
Lol. I notice that from the first list of teams, you took Dr.Strange out the tournament completely. I was just gonna say that whatever team hes on, thats the team that wins. But because hes not here anymore id have to go with either team 5, 11, or 8. Dont underestimate Multiple Man and Strong Guy.

Yeah, I kinda had to cuz with the team criteria the only strong guy I could really team Dr. Strange up with was Hulk and that'd just be too powerful for any team to have a shot at the tournament. I'm trying to make a good tournament where for the most part the teams are evenly matched and a lot of good debating can go on when I post the matches.

stormfront13
which rogue is it??

crazyspinz
hmmm, scarlet is still doing his tourny, then im setting up my Exiles type tourny, maybe this should wait?

stormfront13
what??

Draco69
My money is on either number 5 or 6.

stormfront13
well imo depending on what type of rogue it is #4 might stand a small chance

crazyspinz
Originally posted by stormfront13
what??

well if we do this now we will have like 3 tournements running at once, and people will get confused....

or im already confused as far as this thread works

stormfront13
oh coo, what three- can you repeat??

azndrgn
Originally posted by stormfront13
which rogue is it??

The Rogue version I'm thinking of is the Uncanny version w/ strength, flight and power absorption/mimicry as her powers

stormfront13
ok then imo team # 3 definitley has a slim chance

DigiMark007
What this forum needs is "A person in charge of always having ONE tournament running." That said, I admire what you're trying to do azndrgn...setting up a tourney (and balancing the teams) can't be easy.

So if this one gets docked because there's other tourneys then fine, but if it happens then count me in...I think it'll be fun as hell. My team's gonna' have matching uniforms.

-DM pirate zorro ninja

P.S. Maybe we could just name the threads so as to remove confusion...."azngrgn's tourney round 1" would work, or even just label who's fighting like "azndrgn's tourney...SwankyTuna vs. Beyonder" or whatever the case may be.

azndrgn
Originally posted by DigiMark007
What this forum needs is "A person in charge of always having ONE tournament running." That said, I admire what you're trying to do azndrgn...setting up a tourney (and balancing the teams) can't be easy.

So if this one gets docked because there's other tourneys then fine, but if it happens then count me in...I think it'll be fun as hell. My team's gonna' have matching uniforms.

-DM pirate zorro ninja

Thanks for the comment DigiMark. Yeah, I guess I didn't realize that multiple tournaments could pose a problem. But mine is completely different in nature from the current running tournaments and will be short since there's only 16 teams involved. So hopefully the tournament is allowed to proceed. I'm waiting on an answer from Tron

DigiMark007
Just as an addendum, I looked over the teams and really like them for the most part...the only guy that stuck out to me as probably being too powerful was Magneto.

-DM

azndrgn
Just as an addendum, I looked over the teams and really like them for the most part...the only guy that stuck out to me as probably being too powerful was Magneto.

-DM

Yeah, that's why I really needed to separate Magneto & Juggs onto different teams cuz both are extremely strong players and probably will be the final man standing while their 2 teammates fall.

azndrgn
Just an aside, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should set up the matches? I could randomly draw 2 teams at a time to make a match or I could try to give seeding to each team and then have Seed 1 against 16, 2 against 15, etc.

BootlegBoys420
we pick team 10.They all are good though.

WE RUN THESE STREETS!!!

azndrgn
Ok guys, here's the final roster. The teams are listed in order of the seeding I tried to give them. I would appreciate any comments as to changes that should be made to the seedings before the tournament gets underway since the 1st round matches will be paired by seeding. Thanks

1. Sabertooth, The Blob, Magneto
2. Wolverine, Colossus, Jean Grey
3. Black Panther, Thor, Scarlet Witch
4. Mr. Fantastic, The Thing, Invisible Woman
5. Captain America, She-Hulk, Vision
7. Multiple Man, Strong Guy, Polaris
8. Nightcrawler, Rogue, Storm
9. Deathlok, Hulk, Spider-man
10. Toad, Juggernaut, Pyro
11. Shatterstar, Warpath, Cable
12. Quicksilver, Warbird, Firestar
14. Hobgoblin, Venom, Mysterio
15. Dr. Octupus, Rhino, Electro
16. Bishop, Beast, Cyclops

LordFear
Seeding?
what the hell does that mean?
random draw or something?

azndrgn
Seeding?
what the hell does that mean?
random draw or something?

Take the NCAA b-ball tournament for example. Each region has 16 teams competing. The 16 teams are basically ranked from 1 = BEST to 16 = worst. Then the 1st round matches are set up by having #1 vs #16, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14, 4 vs 13, 5 vs 12, 6 vs 11, 7 vs 10 and 8 vs 9. It's basically set up that way so the worst teams get knocked out early and the best teams end up competing, but there are the occasional upsets.

azndrgn
So LordFear, you apply the same principle from the explanation I used for the bball tournament to the 3-on-3 tournament we're trying to do.

LordFear
I am in your debt, my good man!!!
LOl
I follow very little collegiate sports.

azndrgn
I am in your debt, my good man!!!
LOl
I follow very little collegiate sports.

No prob. I would like people to say whether or not they agree with the seedings so I don't screw some teams out of winning

LordFear
the only problem is determining accurately who are the powerhouse teams and the weakess link teams.
A lot of debate would break out just out of that determination

azndrgn
the only problem is determining accurately who are the powerhouse teams and the weakess link teams.
A lot of debate would break out just out of that determination

Hehe, that's true. The opening round matchups seem fair so far...

azndrgn
VERY soon I'll post the matches. I don't think this tournament will pose a problem with the others since it's short

DigiMark007
My cpu's been giving me trouble, so I haven't posted in a couple days, but I'd love to be in the tourney...if we get to vote, I'd vote for completely random drawings for who gets which team...it'd make us think on our feet a bit more, and it wouldn't be "first come first serve" for some of the stronger teams.

-DM

azndrgn
My cpu's been giving me trouble, so I haven't posted in a couple days, but I'd love to be in the tourney...if we get to vote, I'd vote for completely random drawings for who gets which team...it'd make us think on our feet a bit more, and it wouldn't be "first come first serve" for some of the stronger teams.

-DM

Thanks for the input. I'll probably being posting the battles sometime this weekend. Kinda busy w/ other stuff

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.