what games made history

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

x-box fanatic
pong
halo
gta games
what else?

x-box fanatic
anyone???

x-box fanatic
am i the onlyone here

T.M
Tetris yes

Maestro
Super mario 64

Morridini
How has Halo and GTA made history?

Zen2nd
Halo - Best graphics on any console
GTA - Freedom yeah!

Metal Gear Solid - How stealth is suppossed to be done.

T.M
space invaders

Smasandian
GTA I can understand. Halo, no.
It made little history in the FPS genre with its unique weapon system but other than that, most features hav already been done. It might have good graphics but every 3 months, a game comes out with better graphics so its hardly a game that made history aside from being popular.

I say. Half Life, Doom, Super Mario Brothers, GTA, Alone in the Dark, Street Fighter, Madden, Sim City and I cant think of any others. but there's more

Magee
The Sims i guess, although i dont like their games that much. But they technicaly created their own genre of game.

x-box fanatic
pong was a in history because it was the first game

stingray005
Halo and Halo 2 made history by being the first games ever to actually have a storyline to it. GTA's story is to sell drugs, get drugs, kill gangs, and kill other innocent people. How Brilliant.

Morridini
Ok, now I see how GTA have made history.
But saying that halo has made history is just wrong.

dave123
Explain to me which GTA made history, and what it did that made it history....

stingray005
Sorry Morridini but you've just lost your talking privelages

cal31
Doom, first true FPS in the form that it appears today.

dave123
Originally posted by stingray005
Sorry Morridini but you've just lost your talking privelages watch it mister zorro

pr1983
halo was one of the most overhyped games ever made...

it was enjoyable but could have been so much better...

GTA was the first of its kind... does that make it historical? in the controversy stakes sure...

Joker1237
I thin Pac Man

Than Mario

Street fighter

Mortal Kombat 1(The blood and such, before this game, You never saw Graphic deaths, so its a build up to later bloody games.)

BackFire
Street Fighter, Doom, Half Life 1/2, Everquest, Mortal Kombat, Mario, Donkey Kong, Pong, Pac Man, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy 6/7, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Wolfenstien 3D, Command and Conquer, Warcraft, Diablo,

stingray005
GTA was made historical b/c it was the first game that consisted of one giant map rather than levels along with the open ended gameplay. For that I'll give it credit, but it lacks in story and especially characters. In GTA3 the main character is a drug dealing, murderer who just escaped from jail. And you can't possibly say that GTA has a better story or characters than Halo or Halo 2.

And btw how could Halo have been a better game?????

stingray005
Srry, I meant how could Halo possibly be any better than it already is???

Joker1237
but does Halo have the IMPACT on the gaminging world as Mario or Mortal Kombat??

GTA would never had made it to the game systems as it did, IF Mortal Kombat did not take the first shots for the showing of blood.

NES refuse to put out the bloody Mortal Kombat, and took out the blood. That should tell how far some people went to make sure Video games are Blood Free so to speak. So Mk has earn to be here.

Might want to add Pitt Fighter, BAd game I know, BUT it is the first game to have digzatiz actors. It made the step for MK, which made the step for the Blood and Gore, if you look at it that way.

pr1983
GTA was made historical b/c it was the first game that consisted of one giant map rather than levels along with the open ended gameplay. For that I'll give it credit, but it lacks in story and especially characters. In GTA3 the main character is a drug dealing, murderer who just escaped from jail. And you can't possibly say that GTA has a better story or characters than Halo or Halo 2.

And btw how could Halo have been a better game?????

Srry, I meant how could Halo possibly be any better than it already is???

better level design... simple... too many corridors...

and the worst online lag i've ever played...

MC Mike
Halo did NOT make any history... it's a crazy fad with elements from other games used in a new way.

GTA was the first third-person open world enviornment game, which is very monumental, but not really "historical".

Mario, Pong, Tetris, Doom, Half Life even... those made history.

BackFire
Oh, also forgot to mention Goldeneye and Mario 64.

Lana
Halo really is nothing special. Definitely way overrated.

Doom for sure, the original Doom could kick the shit out of Halo without even having to try and it's one game where the sequels were on the same level if not better than the original. Not many games can make that claim.

Pretty much anything else I'd say has been named already: Final Fantasy, LoZ, Mario, Goldeneye (too much fun in that game), etc...

Ushgarak
No-one has mentioned Elite? Weird...

Lords of Midnight, obviously.

The Sentinel

Adventure

Populous

Manic Miner

Even Myst!

Tptmanno1
Originally posted by Ushgarak
No-one has mentioned Elite? Weird...

Lords of Midnight, obviously.

The Sentinel

Adventure

Populous

Manic Miner

Even Myst!
You're way to addicted to Lords of Midnight Ush..........

hotsauce6548
How bout Gran Turismo? Maybe not historical, but it had a damn good impact on the public with its realistic gameplay.

stingray005
I'm assuming that everyone who says Halo sucks has PS2 or Gamecube, because Halo is a great game and if you played the game and beat it than you would know too. Basically the only reason everyone says halo sucks is most likely because they have never even played it or they're trying to protect their console.

And btw Mortal Combat and Doom are definetely no where near as good as Halo. Srry but you all just got owned.

Draco69
Final Fantasy 7.

CG scenes would never exist without this game.

pr1983
I'm assuming that everyone who says Halo sucks has PS2 or Gamecube, because Halo is a great game and if you played the game and beat it than you would know too. Basically the only reason everyone says halo sucks is most likely because they have never even played it or they're trying to protect their console.

And btw Mortal Combat and Doom are definetely no where near as good as Halo. Srry but you all just got owned.

i never realised there were video game fanboys...

i have halo on pc... i bought it myself... ive finished it too... it is a good solid game... but has several flaws... it is not the oh so perfect game you claim it to be...

stingray005
Name one thing that sucks about Halo

BackFire

And I'm assuming you didn't notice that the topic in this thread is "what games made history" not "your favorite games". Halo did not make history, it's a good game, but it's not historicallyimportant like MK and Doom is too the industry.

Tptmanno1
Repetitive game play (Fight a small group of aliens, run to next area, fight another small group aliens, there was no involvement, I didn't get absorbed like when I played Doom 3 or Call of Duty)
Unoriginal content (Hallways were crappy, Vehicles is like Battlefield. Gun setup is from CS...)
simplistic aiming The retical sucked! and its color changing was not cool. I think I can tell
Limited AI (All they do is jump around!)

And thats just from playing the demo!

pr1983

level design, repetitiveness... unbelievebly bad lag...

halo is by no means historical...

Draco69
Halo is a very good game. But as the topic suggests, its is not historical. Historical in sales but not in innovativeness.

stingray005
If any of you have noticed Halo got the game of the year award, and it got the highest rating in xbox magazine, which right their states that it is a historical game, and if thats not enough than I'll prove myself again.
Halo has...

great gameplay
better graphics than doom, mortal combat, or call of duty
great music
great story (oh wait I forgot none of the other games mentioned have a story)

And heres a tip for TPTmann-if you actually want to see how great of a game halo is than buy it, play it, and beat it.

BackFire
If any of you have noticed Halo got the game of the year award, and it got the highest rating in xbox magazine, which right their states that it is a historical game, and if thats not enough than I'll prove myself again.
Halo has...

great gameplay
great music

And heres a tip for TPTmann-if you actually want to see how great of a game halo is than buy it, play it, and beat it.

Just because a game gets a high rating and is popular doesn't make it historical. What is the actual IMPACT that the game has had on the industry? What new aspects of gameplay did it bring to the industry? What makes it historical? Getting a good rating in a second rate video game magazine does not make it a historical game, just a good game.

Better graphics then doom and MK? Too hell you say! Doom and MK was made about 10 years before Halo, of course it has better graphics. What a stupid argument. Comparing Halo to games a decade older then halo, and say "well halo has better graphics and AI then these decade old games, thus it's a more historical game" is blatantly stupid and invalid. You have to look at games made at the same time if you're going to compare.

What makes doom and MK historical is the impact they had on the industry. If it weren't for Doom, Halo wouldn't exist, if it werent' for MK, it's arguable that GTA and other violent games wouldn't exist. MK pushed the envelope of what is acceptable in a mainstream game. It's these types of things that make a game historical. A game that changed the industry, created a genre, added new gameplay the likes of which have never been seen. Not simply scoring good in a shitty magazine.

Tptmanno1
Halo has...

great gameplay
great music

I don't need to buy it. I played the Demo, I base all of my Game buys on the Demos, and I really haven't been dissapointed yet, Well except for C&C renagade, but that was a bargan game and still fun at times.

Have you even played CoD? oh and graphics means nothing to me, I play Quake 3 and JK2 for chrissake...
Music was generic, and not anything to write home about, just a semi-basic rock thingy. I'd prefer to listen to my own stuff. Its gotta be original, but really music doesn't matter to me.

(We should take this into the halo Thread, were derailing this topic)

stingray005
First of all I meant to compare Halo to the newer Doom games like Doom 3, which normal people would call common sense. Idiot.
Secondly Halo was created by itself. Doom had absolutely no effect on how halo was made. You're trying to tell me that if Doom wasn't made then the writers of Halo would of thought differently. Thats probably the most retarded statement I've heard in all of my life

Halo was the first of it's kind to bring a plot into a game. The writers actually had to think of a good story instead of coming up with a dumb excuse to put zombies and mutated retards into a game just for the fun of it.

Draco69
Originally posted by BackFire
Just because a game gets a high rating and is popular doesn't make it historical. What is the actual IMPACT that the game has had on the industry? What new aspects of gameplay did it bring to the industry? What makes it historical? Getting a good rating in a second rate video game magazine does not make it a historical game, just a good game.

Better graphics then doom and MK? Too hell you say! Doom and MK was made about 10 years before Halo, of course it has better graphics. What a stupid argument. Comparing Halo to games a decade older then halo, and say "well halo has better graphics and AI then these decade old games, thus it's a more historical game" is blatantly stupid and invalid. You have to look at games made at the same time if you're going to compare.

What makes doom and MK historical is the impact they had on the industry. If it weren't for Doom, Halo wouldn't exist, if it werent' for MK, it's arguable that GTA and other violent games wouldn't exist. MK pushed the envelope of what is acceptable in a mainstream game. It's these types of things that make a game historical. A game that changed the industry, created a genre, added new gameplay the likes of which have never been seen. Not simply scoring good in a shitty magazine.

Ditto. Couldn't have said it better myself.

BackFire
Say what you mean then, kiddo. If you say Doom, I think of, you know, Doom. It's not difficult to put a number 3 after Doom to remove confusion if you're talking about Doom 3. Your basic statement was so full of stupidity that you comparing halo with a decade old game became expectable. Not my fault. If you mean Doom 3, say "Doom 3".

If you think Halo has better graphics them Doom 3 then that's an even more blatantly stupid statement, the graphics of Doom 3 are among the best ever seen, the lighting, textures and environment is FACTUALLY more defined and detailed then Halo, hands down.

Doom paved the way for ALL FPS games, Halo included. Halo wouldn't exist as it does today if doom hadn't paved the way for it, and others like it. It's things like this that make Doom historic, and Halo just another solid game. Simple as that.

Halo was NOT the first FPS to be plot driven, there's this little game called Half Life that was storydriven, and also had better AI, Multiplay, and a better story and graphics for its time. Also, this Half Life game came out years before Halo. You've made two back to back statements that are factually wrong, good work.

stingray005
Halo doesn't have to change an element in a FPS to make it historical. Historical can just mean that the game will be remembered. It was the first game to have a really great storyline to it. That may not have changed an art of the gaming industry, but in my mind and many others Halo is historical.

stingray005
Oh and by the way nice english Backfire

BackFire
Halo doesn't have to change an element in a FPS to make it historical. Historical can just mean that the game will be remembered. It was the first game to have a really great storyline to it. That may not have changed an art of the gaming industry, but in my mind and many others Halo is historical.

Jesus Christ, I just told you, it was not the first game to have a good storyline. Half Life had a great storyline and was years before Halo, stop continuing to use an argument that has been proven wrong.

Why will halo be remembered? There are lots of good games out there that people love, but what specifically will be remembered about Halo (and I swear to god, if you say "because it was the first game to have a good storyline" I will ban you)? Other then the fact that it's the only Xbox game worth playing.

stingray005
Srry I posted that after reading your last post

stingray005
Alright, here we go again...
You're trying to tell me that Halo is the ONLY game on Xbox worth playing.
If you haven't noticed all of the other games you just mentioned are on xbox also.

stingray005
Srry that actually wasn't true.

Lord_Andres
Yo Stingay, first of Halo isint historical, it didint add shit to the FPS genre, nuting all, alright get it now? sure it got good scores and all, BUT it wasint the first to do anything alright, we got this nice game for N64 called Goldeneye, and if any FPS to consol is gonna be rememberd its Goldeneye, halo came after, too another consol, in 10 years or maybe 15 it will most likey be in the shadows when people are talking about old FPS for consol, they'l say oh ya there was a really good one for N64 it's a game about the James bond movie that came out in that time, called Goldeneye, you know i'm right, anyway histolical games? well the only one I can think of right now that hasint been mentioned is the very first Might and Magic, or maybe the very first chapter in the Elder scorlls series, those two they simply are HUGE and fantastic! try'em out!

Joker1237
dont recall what IMPact Goldeneye had, execpt maybe other Bond game.

Killer Instinct is a good game, maybe even GREAT game, But it no way did it get history points for it. Because Mortal Kombat push the blood and gore, and made it to be in other games. KI is a good game, But no not relly historic, Eyedol/Gore Fatiltay/No MErcy ete.

Street Fighter pave the way of fighting games, and likes its Rival MK, it to has historic points to it. Were MK put blood and gore, SF pave the way of fighting. There was not relly a fighting game before SF 1, SF 2 expannded and thus SF2 is histoic and not SF1.

FF is other game that has a IMPACT.
Pacman and Mario have impacts, Sonic other good game, DID not.

MAybe Contacta has a impact?? I think that was relly the first shoot em up game. Contall how ever you spell it. CON TA.

Corrected me if I wrong on this. The first shoot em up blow up stuff game?

stingray005
I just don't think that when people are having conversations about historical videogames that Mortal Kombat is going to come to mind. Blood and gore have most likely been in videogames before that, just not to that degree; which in my opinion doesn't make it a historical videogame.
And as for Lord Andres, thanks for the games.
Oh yeah, you might want to seriously consider taking some English classes because that last paragraph you just said lowered my IQ level by a few points.

Draco69
Dude, don't insult people. You were stupid enough to call the moderator an "idiot". You'll get banned. (Not that would be a bad thing)

Smasandian
I'm surpraised he isn't already.

I'm going to include E.T for the ol Atari.

It ain't good but whats more historical. A game that start's a trend or a game that finished off Atari and countless other imitation console makers in the early 80's and paving the way for Nintendo, which basically is the company that saved videogames.

Game's I think is historic.
Donkey Kong - Arcade - basically started Nintendo
Street Fighter 1 - made fighters a staple for arcades/consoles
The Madden Football Series - first game to have yearly sets and simulated sports
Doom/Half-Life - made FPS popular/revoulitionized FPS and story driven games and has been labelled best PC game ever made
Warcraft - RTS created (or replace with C&C if done before)
Goldeneye - started FPS on console systems
Pong - need I say more
MK - sole game that created the ERSB rating.

dark1365

Why will halo be remembered?

Halo CE.

Because of the level of interactivity, the way it combines elements of a good game(gameplay, forces players to act or die, on Heroic mode at least, music, storyline, main character). For example, CS was the first game to bring about online FPS popularity.

Goldeneye 007 was the first FPS of legend, in the 3D gaming era. Then came Perfect Dark, Tomorrow Never Dies...blah.
It was the first game in that era to combine gaming element to that level, when people will go, "Yeah, Goldeneye 007 is still sweet. Oh crap, why did I sell the N64 at the pawn shop?" or something like that.

Now, here comes along the next generation of gaming, the PS2, GCN, and Xbox. Many more games spring up, but none of them was quite unique and outstanding in their genre. Many companies tried to create this level of unique-ness popularity(Resident Evil Dead Aim, Wtf?).
Then once in a while, a game that is truly worth playing comes out(Halo 1, Resident Evil 4, Ninja Gaiden...)
and people start telling their friends about this game. Ever notice how the truly good games brings something new into their genre? Not just graphics or whatever. It's especially more noticable in series games, look at Resident Evil 4, for example; instead of zombies, you're fighting villagers who go down in TWO headshots, not ONE(I shot him in the head, and in return slashes me with axe), with the new aiming system, and new objectives and interface.

Halo CE would be more recognized than its sequel, because it was one of the first to come out for the Xbox. People were impressed, and they're like "Whoooa..." like I did when I played 007 and Halo first time. New generation gaming. And Doom 3, and Half Life 2...they're memorable too, HL2 more so.

And holy crap I wrote so much. embarrasment

dave123
In my opinion, Halo 1 was historical... I've played that more than any other game online. GTA 1 was historic in it's own way...

Joker1237
that when people are having conversations about historical videogames that Mortal Kombat is going to come to mind. Blood and gore have most likely been in videogames before that, just not to that degree; which in my opinion doesn't make it a historical videogame.
Oh yeah, you might want to seriously consider taking some English classes because that last paragraph you just said lowered my IQ level by a few points.

By stingray005

Mortal Kombat was the FIRST GAME WITH BLOOD AND GORE.

BEFORE that, games were kid frendly, Sure there was voilene, like Street fighter. But no Blood and Gore.

I rember 1992 well, Because it was the first time that you relly see a guy get KILLED in a game. IE Head chop off, Parents wanted a FULL ban on the game, And Super NES TOOK out the blood when it hit the home systems. IT was the FIRST GAME WITH BLOOD AND GORE.

If other game came before MK., that Game would have the bans on it ete. But MK did it FIRST, and it got the ban on it. Thinks to Super NES and parent groups pushing for a ban on it. Good thing in the end MK WON over the Ban theats.

Robo-Chocobo
Jesus Christ, I just told you, it was not the first game to have a good storyline. Half Life had a great storyline and was years before Halo, stop continuing to use an argument that has been proven wrong.

Why will halo be remembered? There are lots of good games out there that people love, but what specifically will be remembered about Halo (and I swear to god, if you say "because it was the first game to have a good storyline" I will ban you)? Other then the fact that it's the only Xbox game worth playing.

It was the single Game that lent the X-box credibility, and propelled the X-box into the console wars full speed.

AND HALO 2 DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT HAS BEEN FINALISED!! I'M SO HAPPY!!!

Robo-Chocobo
Originally posted by Joker1237
that when people are having conversations about historical videogames that Mortal Kombat is going to come to mind. Blood and gore have most likely been in videogames before that, just not to that degree; which in my opinion doesn't make it a historical videogame.

By stingray005

Mortal Kombat was the FIRST GAME WITH BLOOD AND GORE.

BEFORE that, games were kid frendly, Sure there was voilene, like Street fighter. But no Blood and Gore.

I rember 1992 well, Because it was the first time that you relly see a guy get KILLED in a game. IE Head chop off, Parents wanted a FULL ban on the game, And Super NES TOOK out the blood when it hit the home systems. IT was the FIRST GAME WITH BLOOD AND GORE.

If other game came before MK., that Game would have the bans on it ete. But MK did it FIRST, and it got the ban on it. Thinks to Super NES and parent groups pushing for a ban on it. Good thing in the end MK WON over the Ban theats.

I remember when I was rather young, I was playing mortal combat, and since I suck at fighting games I can never do the special moves.
I had just beaten my friend in a screw off match and was wishing I knew a fatality. I was playing as scorpion. With nothing better to try I intup the universal Konami code Up up down down left right left right B A B A start in. I ripped out his spine with that move. now THAT was memorable.

Robo-Chocobo
Originally posted by dave123
In my opinion, Halo 1 was historical... I've played that more than any other game online. GTA 1 was historic in it's own way...

No, that was GTA 3 your thinking of.

Smasandian
"Because of the level of interactivity, the way it combines elements of a good game(gameplay, forces players to act or die, on Heroic mode at least, music, storyline, main character). For example, CS was the first game to bring about online FPS popularity"

Alot of other games before Halo did that. Does it maket those games historic?
Dues Ex, System Shock 1&2, Half-Life (which was the reason games have that type of interactivity). These 4 games came out before Halo. So I think they would have the moniker of being more historic than Halo.
If Halo was historic, its because it was the first good game that came out for the XBOX, not because of its gameplay.
I dont think people will remember Halo in 20 years.

Miss_Faye
Super Mario!....or maybe thats just me...Eh.

Zen2nd
You can't argue with this Resident Evil. It made survival horror.

Reason for Halo been historical. The huge scope in the game. I can bet you can't find another game on a console where a huge area is presented before you and there is a Warthog beside you to be driven to victory!

Lana
GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas. Huge area where you're free to roam. All console games.

And for all who are saying that Halo was the first FPS with a storyline...Doom, which basically launched the FPS genre, had a storyline. Not much of one, really, but there was a reason that you were having to go around killing zombies and evil monsters and giant spider masterminds and demons and such.

stingray005
Oh hi everyone, it's me the jack a$$ that you all hate.
I want to thank everyone that agreed with me that Halo and Halo 2 are both historical games. For everyone else that doesn't, you all have you're own opinion and frankly I'm sick and tired of arguing about it. If anyone wants to talk about the subject more than I would suggest moving to a different forum, oh and btw backfire if you want to ban me than do it.

dave123
Originally posted by Robo-Chocobo
No, that was GTA 3 your thinking of. what was so good about GTA 3? It was just a 3D version of GTA 1, which was pretty inevitable anyway stick out tongue and The Getaway would have done that anyway

dave123
Oh hi everyone, it's me the jack a$$ that you all hate.
I want to thank everyone that agreed with me that Halo and Halo 2 are both historical games. For everyone else that doesn't, you all have you're own opinion and frankly I'm sick and tired of arguing about it. If anyone wants to talk about the subject more than I would suggest moving to a different forum, oh and btw backfire if you want to ban me than do it. I don't like your attitude, either. Fix it up and accept not all people think like you.

pr1983
mortal kombat, street fighter, doom...

fifa for the same reasons as madden... a regular, consistent, enjoyable football game (until pro evo came along)

Draco69
PLEASE BAN HIM OH MIGHTY FAIRY ONE!

ban banned

dave123
No can do sad

Draco69
blowup

dave123
If you must, then hit ignore...

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/member2.php?action=addlist&userlist=ignore&userid=55109

stingray005
Hey Dave incase you haven't noticed I did say that everyone else has there own opinion, I'm just tired of arguing with everyone. And guess what, you may not like my attitude but I strongly suggest that you deal with it because you're going to meet a lot of people more annoying then me in the future.

And btw I really don't understand why I'm hated so much on this forum. Incase you haven't noticed Backfire was the first person to curse and make rude comments to me.

pr1983
Hey Dave incase you haven't noticed I did say that everyone else has there own opinion, I'm just tired of arguing with everyone. And guess what, you may not like my attitude but I strongly suggest that you deal with it because you're going to meet a lot of people more annoying then me in the future.

And btw I really don't understand why I'm hated so much on this forum. Incase you haven't noticed Backfire was the first person to curse and make rude comments to me.

did you ever wonder why?

dave123
Sorry Morridini but you've just lost your talking privelages That kinda stuff isn't cool erm

stingray005
that would be a joke

BackFire
"And btw I really don't understand why I'm hated so much on this forum. Incase you haven't noticed Backfire was the first person to curse and make rude comments to me."

Did I? No.

There's a difference between shutting down your argument and being rude. You're the one that started name calling like a little 8 year old, throwing around witty insults, such as "idiot".

stingray005
Better check your sources Backfire
Last time I checked you were the first one to say that my arguement was stupid and invalid.

stingray005
Did I? No.

There's a difference between shutting down your argument and being rude. You're the one that started name calling like a little 8 year old, throwing around witty insults, such as "idiot".

That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me...
I'm only seven.

dave123
You gotta be 13 to join these boards, wee-man stick out tongue

stingray005
Again, that was a joke

dave123
I am well aware, but when you're trying to have a serious discussion with a global so you DON'T get banned.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

dave123
Anyway sexbombs, I'm off to bed sleep Play nice y'all happy

dark1365
Originally posted by Robo-Chocobo
I remember when I was rather young, I was playing mortal combat, and since I suck at fighting games I can never do the special moves.
I had just beaten my friend in a screw off match and was wishing I knew a fatality. I was playing as scorpion. With nothing better to try I intup the universal Konami code Up up down down left right left right B A B A start in. I ripped out his spine with that move. now THAT was memorable.
Haha, I remember this one time where I killed my friend in MK4 with Scorpion. I had no idea what fatalities and etc. were there, so I mashed buttons and did an animality.(turns into gigantic scorpion, pinch, STAB, STAB, STAB head explodes)

Games that make history bring something new into the genre. If the first Alone in the Dark hadn't been invented...Resident Evil, Silent Hill would've not been there for a while. They are all of the survival horror genre. AitD started it all. Which is why it made history.

Doom also starts shooting with lotsa gore.

Joker1237
Yeah and Pitt Fighter stated the digntize graphics of real people. It made history, Now if it is a good GAME is other thing. One of the worse games I played. But it started the life like thing that later games will adopt.

stingray005
Originally posted by dave123
I am well aware, but when you're trying to have a serious discussion with a global so you DON'T get banned....

You can't ban someone for having a sense of humor, or cracking a joke here and then. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard; and I'm sure talking about videogames is a real "serious discussion."

Like I said if you really want to ban me than do it, because apparently the moderators on this site don't like to play by the rules. (which by the way is the nicest way of phrasing that statement)

dark1365
*gasps*
BackFire, dave, you hear what he just said? He just dissed the entire moderator team!

*sobs* That was so mean!

Now to get serious...

Sting, you can either go on like this or get a ban, or be nice. Or you can leave. Up to you. Everybody wins! big grin

stingray005
I'm not going to take a threat for getting banned because I have a sense of humor. And no I didn't diss the entire moderator team, just backfire and dave. = )

dark1365
If you abuse a moderator, that's basically a permanent ban.
I'm suprised they haven't don't anything such yet. They've been extremely lenient with you so far.

stingray005
Check back to page two of this forum and you'll see that the so called moderators were abusing me.

stingray005

Oh I'm sorry to start the argument in the first place Backfire.

dark1365
I kind of agree with BackFire, you have to compare it to games that were made at the time.

stingray005
that's not the point....

stingray005
You can't seriously still be siding with backfire, can you? He directly started the argument first and called the rest of my posts idiotic and stupid.

stingray005
Or are you just afraid that he's going to ban you b/c he's one of the moderators?

Joker1237
I agree with Blackfire, and I have no far of being ban, If I get ban I can go to other fourm, of couse I dont try and pick fights.

DEFCON One
Games that made history

wlfentsien 3d- first fps
doom-first truly awesome fps, also first game where mods were used
half-life-great storyline, awesome graphics+combat
gta-first free-roaming game (i think)
sims- very original game. first of its kind

halo technically made history, but there was nothing new or unique aabout it. it was just the first big game on the xbox. its good, but not as good asppl make it sound

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
You're way to addicted to Lords of Midnight Ush..........

It was the biggest darn thing of its era! It had 10000 screens back in the days when the amount of screens a game has was counted and when 100 was considered very large! People wrote into games magazines writing short stories or even novels of their experiences playing the game. Damn right I am still addicted to it!

"Warcraft - RTS created (or replace with C&C if done before)"

Replace with Dune II, you mean. The Westwood/BLizzard RTS foundation race went, in order:

Dune II/Warcraft/C&C/Warcraft II/Red Alert/Starcraft

And then it gets more vague. Warcraft was a total rip off of Dune II, highly enjoyable as it was (and no bad thing- some of the greatest games of all time have been rip-offs); things got more distinct after that. But Dune II gets the innovation award.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Zen2nd
You can't argue with this Resident Evil. It made survival horror.

No it didn't, Alone in the Dark did. Resident Evil span out from AitD's success. Not that that makes Resident Evil either bad or not a game that made history, but survival horror was already an established franchise.

EDIT- oops, I see someone already said that. Apologies!

dgeniu
Warcraft, of course! thumb up

Joker1237
I think Pirates is other game that made history. It seem to be the first roaming game on the high seas. It still holds out pretty good today, and I still play it lol.

Morridini
I would say that the first game that used a female main character made history. But which game was that? Was it Metroid or some other game (Tomb Raider?)?

Joker1237
Cant be Tomb Raider, 2 recent.
I say it may be Metroid,

But people say that title goes To Street Fighter 2 with Chun Li. She WAS the first Video game female hero. Now of couse there were others you can choose in the game. But if you follow by SF story line Li did take down Bison in the end.

Lana
Originally posted by Ushgarak
It was the biggest darn thing of its era! It had 10000 screens back in the days when the amount of screens a game has was counted and when 100 was considered very large! People wrote into games magazines writing short stories or even novels of their experiences playing the game. Damn right I am still addicted to it!

"Warcraft - RTS created (or replace with C&C if done before)"

Replace with Dune II, you mean. The Westwood/BLizzard RTS foundation race went, in order:

Dune II/Warcraft/C&C/Warcraft II/Red Alert/Starcraft

And then it gets more vague. Warcraft was a total rip off of Dune II, highly enjoyable as it was (and no bad thing- some of the greatest games of all time have been rip-offs); things got more distinct after that. But Dune II gets the innovation award.

Hehe, you showed me that game...

And all those games you listed I've played, and my brother plays constantly.

Smasandian
My fault. I forgot about Dune 2.

dark1365
Or are you just afraid that he's going to ban you b/c he's one of the moderators?
I would be very suprised if you weren't banned already, you've been picking a fight for a long time.

Anyways, there are two kinds of games that will make history. The one that started the genre/concept orginally, and the one that perfects it.

Smasandian
Also, a game that affected the industry greatly like E.T for Atari, or Tetris.

Joker1237
never heard or ET

But Teris is diff a thing that change games.

jaden101
starfox...first console game to use the polygon if i remember right (perhaps there were others before it but it was the one that really took off)

id agree with backfire on gran turismo for the realistic handling...you just couldn't go back to the likes of ridge racer once GT came along

Smasandian
But there was a ton of racers for the PC before Gran Turismo that had realistic handling.
ET was the game that destroyed the videogame business back in the 80's. It was probably the worst game ever made and there's alot of rumors that when people bought it, 90 or higher per cent took it back to the retail chain and now its buried somewhere in the US desert.

Draco69
Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time.

"Z-Targeting"(lock-on) wouldn't exist without it

Red Superfly
lol ET.

The game where it was mathematically IMPOSSIBLE to get past the first few seconds of the game because no matter where you moved, you would die.

What a game.

I'll say Super Mario 64 was also a biggie. There are only a handful of games that have even come close to replicating it's sense of 3D control in a platformer. Not even the sequel, Mario Sunshine was as good.

And Zelda: Ocarina gets a mention too. Lock on 3D system was awesome. Big buzz about it at the time, and now it's a standard way of controlling a lot of games.

ChickinMeat
Originally posted by Zen2nd

Splinter Cell - How stealth is suppossed to be done.

corrected

jaden101
syphon filter: how stealth is supposed to be done

hitman: how stealth is supposed to be done

corrected twice

ChickinMeat
never played syphon filter, always thought it was an action game, my mistake!

hitman is a very good stealth game.

jaden101
Originally posted by ChickinMeat
never played syphon filter, always thought it was an action game, my mistake!

its a bit of both...some levels are all out blasting and others are sneak and kill levels...pretty good balance...i actually prefered the game play to metal gear on the ps1 but metal gear had it in terms of plot and graphics

Joker1237
would like to point out that Zeld, Link's awaking made history in gameboy.

It was the FIRST gameboy game, to look good, and no game before it had as much grapics on gameboy than this game. And IMO the best Zelda game of all time. Yes even a Link to the past.

ragesRemorse
body harvest-N64

AcrypT
Diablo 1&2, mario, sonic, zelda, digger, packman, prince of persia, knights quest, red alert/warcraft/dune (same basic concept, different time: modern, midevil/fantasy, future), doom, lemmings, sim city, the sims...
That's my list of games that made a mark in history.

ChickinMeat
ahhhhh lemmings, how could we forget

AcrypT
you should be ashamed of yourselves!

SlipknoT
Halo and Halo 2 made history by being the first games ever to actually have a storyline to it. GTA's story is to sell drugs, get drugs, kill gangs, and kill other innocent people. How Brilliant. You my friend are an idiot.

dark1365
Yeah he is.

First ever storyline games?
Ooooookay. roll eyes (sarcastic) Right. So technically, Goldeneye 007 had no storyline? Using slipknot's words:

"You my friend are an idiot."

ChickinMeat
Originally posted by AcrypT
you should be ashamed of yourselves!

I know, i will commit sepuku immidiatly!

Lana
Originally posted by ChickinMeat
ahhhhh lemmings, how could we forget

Oh, Lemmings...the number of hours I spent at my friend's house playing that game...laughing

Anyone remember Ski Free for the computer? Hehehe...I loved that game...

Morridini
Does anyone know what the first Computer game was?
I have a computer game from 1978 (Zork, a text based game), is that one of the earliest games?

pr1983
Originally posted by dark1365
Yeah he is.

First ever storyline games?
Ooooookay. roll eyes (sarcastic) Right. So technically, Goldeneye 007 had no storyline? Using slipknot's words:

"You my friend are an idiot."

are we talking about storylines in general or in FPS?

Tptmanno1
Originally posted by Lana
Oh, Lemmings...the number of hours I spent at my friend's house playing that game...laughing

Anyone remember Ski Free for the computer? Hehehe...I loved that game...
Yea!
I never figured it out, was there any way to get pst the little monster that ate you?

BUT PC gamer did a things on the 50 best games ever or something
and all of those I would consider made history

Lana
Uhh....I don't remember....it's been a few years since I've played it.

ChickinMeat
i have that Ski game in ZIP file

ill send it to anyone that wants it!

Smasandian
Nah, the PC Gamer 50 best games are what the 50 best games are. Alot of them didnt make any sort of history. Rise Of Nations which is basically an better updated version of the Age Of Empire's with tanks is a great game, but it didnt make history.Far Cry didnt make histrory and same did Unreal Tournment 2004. They're great games but compared to Half Life, Dune 2 and others, they dont come close in terms of history.

Tptmanno1
whell it depends what you define history as...
Is history greatness, or is it revolutionaryism?

Its greatness Henry Ford didn't invent the Automobile, he made it great. Who does history remeber, Henry Ford or the guy who really invented it?

Darth Surgent
Playboy: The Mansion

stick out tongue

frodo34x
Well, the games that made personal history are:

Age of Empires
Starcraft
Medal of Honor
Grand Theft Auto

Smasandian
Playboy: The Mansion?
Why?

True, it does depend on what you think is history?
Some of those games wont be remember in 5 years. I will not remember Far Cry in 5 years.

Joker1237
Than I guess the Write brothers are not rember, they invented the plane, But later guys made it great.

Darth Surgent
Originally posted by Smasandian
Playboy: The Mansion?
Why?

I was just kidding stick out tongue

Smasandian
OH kay. IM sorry.

The Wright Brothers were known for developing the airplane. Games mentioned in PC Gamer are there for how good the games. But does that make it history?

ChickinMeat
I dont think the games being featured in a top 50 in a mag counts as making history.

Id say games that make history make a direct impact on how games are made/played, look at Doom/Wolfenstein for example, that started a revolution in gaming!

Boba_is_fatt
Mk Started EsrB

Boba_is_fatt
Halo and Halo 2 made history by being the first games ever to actually have a storyline to it. GTA's story is to sell drugs, get drugs, kill gangs, and kill other innocent people. How Brilliant.

eek! MORAN ALERT MORAN ALERT!! eek!

Happy Dance messedtay back 50 feet away from the moran

ChickinMeat
lol i never saw that message! that did make me chortle some what

dave123
Originally posted by Boba_is_fatt
eek! MORAN ALERT MORAN ALERT!! eek!

Happy Dance messedtay back 50 feet away from the moran rolling on floor laughing

SaTsuJiN
Street Fighter, Doom, Half Life 1/2, Everquest, Mortal Kombat, Mario, Donkey Kong, Pong, Pac Man, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy 6/7, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Wolfenstien 3D, Command and Conquer, Warcraft, Diablo, thumb up thumb up

lmfao

ChickinMeat
I still cant get over that halo quote, its just too funny!

linkslittlehelp
zelda first game to be able to save your game up to three at a time

ZomBiE_HunTER
Super Mario for the NES. That game saved the video game industry.

powerfulone1987
Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2

leonheartmm
there are many games that made history, but i dont like all of em, eg, half life. but then there are games like the FINAL FANTASY SERIES{specially ff9}, then theres CRONO TRIGGER and CRONO CROSS. thers VAGRANT STORY, KINGDOM HEART, METAL GEAR SOLID{PS1 VERSION}, SILENT HILL SERIES.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>