New Tourney Register

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ArekExcelsior2
If registration for the new tourney is allowed, I'd love to have this team:

Destruction from the Sandman series if Eternals are allowed, Onslaught if not
Yusuke, Firebrand (Red Arremer)
Ultimate Clayface, Miroku (Inuyasha)
Ghost Rider, Ragtag (Static Shock)

Alternates can be: Kuwabara, Godzilla, John Preston (Equilibrium)

Khellendros
Who's putting on this tournament?

ArekExcelsior2
Not sure. I'll hold it if we have to. I regularly GM a game which is basically this entire forum writ large for thousands of hours of gameplay.

Khellendros
Originally posted by ArekExcelsior2
Not sure. I'll hold it if we have to. I regularly GM a game which is basically this entire forum writ large for thousands of hours of gameplay.
Yeah, someone needs to hold/run it, lay down some ground rules (no instant resurrection and no life/power draining were two in the current tourney), power limits for each class and how many characters in each class and other such stuff. If you're gonna start a new one I'm in though.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'm reserving Black Bolt and Mindnighter for my teamright now. big grin

Khellendros
EDIT: Uhhh... I have no idea what happened here.

Khellendros
EDIT: Same here. O_o

ArekExcelsior2
I actually have no problem with life/power draining. One thing I DO put into my tourneys is SAVING THROWS. No instant resurrect throws a wrench in my plans too, heh. I'd say that it'd have to be limited and it'd have to be sensible. For example: If someone has an amulet that resurrects em and it would get destroyed in context of the fight... Resurrects can't bring someone back who's been banished, disintegrated, etc. - they have to be dead, not thoroughly dead. And before people use Final Fantasy level of ridiculousness with Pheonix Downs and Life spells: Those restore people who are unconscious, catatonic or deeply wounded, not actually dead. Aeris, people, Aeris. And Tellah.

The best spell in the world could be resisted if someone has dealt with it before, and the strongest warrior brought down by a total weakling, just like your Black Bolt shuts down Graviton example. So a power drain ability could easily be resisted if someone had effective control over their powers. Further, other sensible limits have to be added: Someone can't drain too far up or else they lose control of their powers and die/leak radiation/whatever makes sense given context.

How about this: Everyone interested register teams. We'll have 1 Uber, 2 High, 2 Mod, 2 Low powered. My characters roughly fit within those limits. Propose rule modifications, I'll respond to the general consensus. You can't be DQed if you try to break the rules, but your post that assumed a broken rule will be edited and/or ignored. I like the three hour prep time, and I will give anyone access to laboratories that they have as well as financial wherewithal. You have to prove that you'd plausibly know about someone else's weakness if you use it.

No one can be literally unstoppable. You can have a Juggernaut type, say, if they're not immune to X, Y or Z other thing. Manga and video games allowable? I'd say Eternals can be used, assuming again reasonable limits: Beyonder was drained by Doom, Morpheus got trapped by spells, etc.

As far as DC/Marvel comparative power: I say we assume DC generally has a smaller range of power with characters more focused on endurance than offensive power, whereas Marvel has a wide range with focus on damage dealing.

Characters can be chosen at any point in their development arc, but MAKE IT CLEAR, FOR GOD'S SAKES.

Scoobless
i think if there is another tournament it should be without uber powerful guys....... so far the majority of fights rest on which teams strongest guy wins and the rest seems inconsequential....... if you limit it to lower than superman levels then at least the lower guys have a shot if their biggest hitter is taken down........ what do you think?

Nataku8188
Well thats cause our last tournament moderator (No offense spider) Didn't know much about many of the characters. He let characters far above the limit into classes without realizing it. As to the new guy in here, don't try to run a tournament untill you have some credibility.

Khellendros
Manga I don't have much of a problem with, but I think video game characters should be excluded. This IS a comic forum, so the character choices should be restricted to comic/mangas. I also think anyone picking a character should only do so if they can provide either a thorough write up on their character's powers or a link or two on demand.

Nataku8188
Manga shouldn't be allowed. It doesnt follow any forms of physics at all.

Kento
But this is a comic book forum Manga = Comic. Just don't use any of the people like Saint Seiya or DB who are like way powerful.

Scoobless
as a person who hasn't read much if any manga, i'd think way more people would be more familiar with DC/Marvel and most wont have heard of some of the characters involved in manga.......it's difficult to battle a character you know nothing about when your opponent only tells you his strengths and leaves out his weaknesses or poor showings

it would be a more universally appealing tournament if you were to stick to Marvel/DC...... it isn't like they have a shortage of characters

Kento
Well most manga's don't show they're weakness, and if they do its the normal, being cut, normal endurance, and stuff. They just have speed, and can punch thru stuff that normal humans in like DC/Marvel coundn't, and have powers.

ArekExcelsior2
To Scoobless: I think proper character selection can override mass power in the Uber slot. Let's say Magneto is in the uber slot, say. I think Magneto all in all is much stronger than Miroku, but Miroku can catch him off guard and kill him pretty easily. But that DOES mean that people have to not say "Look, HE'S DEATH" or something ridiculous and be willing to admit when the canon or when logic trumps the power discrepancy. Classic example: A Dark Archon's Feedback ability. I don't care who you are, if you're psychic (or arguably a mutant) and can't resist it, you die if your offense outweighs your endurance.

To Khellendros: Eh. Cred doesn't really matter because, frankly, it's all about the votes. If we change that format, then I'll co-Ref.

To Nataku: Mwahahahahah! No form of physics, eh? What form of physics regularly allows rules such as the way genetics/mutations actually works, anti-grav, inertia, entropy and the Second Law of Thermodynamics, and chemical exposure to be broken? It's called comic books, man. Ironically, one of the series I've seen that most respects science as it actually works is Full Metal Alchemist. That having been said, physics must be respected to the same level that it is normally. I think the best way to think about it is: it's the real world, ceterus paribus (in other words, all else being equal). When things aren't equal, i.e. magic, ki, psionics, mutant abilities, high technology that may or may not be possible but we assume it is for the sake of the story, then we'll be logical and explore it.

To Kento: I've actually become increasingly unconvinced of how strong DB characters actually are. Yes, they can blow up planets, but that puts them in the same range as Galactus, by no means the strongest being in Marvel, let alone DC. Further, they overwhelmingly rely on raw speed, strength, endurance and energy blasts: they're basically Supermen with rare additions of technique. Notice how even the most preponderantly powerful of em, say, Frieza during 90% of the Frieza saga, can be injured or thrown around if they're caught off guard by an attack from someone who is within the canon 1/10 or so of their power. It strikes me that many people in comic books have the wherewithal to destroy em, especially if we allow Eternals (which, given the general feeling, I don't think so.) I say that the upper limit should be roughly Goku/Superman/Onslaught/Thanos, basically the super-powered main hero characters or the saga "bosses". As far as manga power levels: It seems different, but there's definitely weird techniques: Gama's blood paint, Zorro's swordless sword technique, etc.

On the video game question: Looks like we're gonna strike the dude from Dig Dug or Centipede. Only if your character is grounded in a comic-like context (say, Link but probably not Mario, or Firebrand but probably not Arthur from Ghouls and Goblins) will it be entered. The character should be serious, not Bugs Bunny.

And, yes, before entering someone, a reasonable description of their level of power, past accomplishments, history, etc. will need to be described. Links will be greatly appreciated. Frankly, the Marvel/DC universes, while yes being supple and bereft, do somewhat limit the strategic choices available to people, as well as having their own problems of availability anyways. For one thing, manga continuities typically have the benefit of being non-contradictory within their official canon, an attribute comics regrettably don't have. The way around that is to have a reasonable posting of information. If you can't give us an independent authority (either within the forums or in terms of a reputable webpage, whether TV Tome or Marvel Directory or some such), you can't enter the character.

Scoobless
you see.........right there...........lol...........half the characters you mentioned i've never heard of........ and having a Thanos level character as the top guy means there is no point in having lower level characters as they would stand no chance once their own top guy is downed

Kento
Well I mean DBZ isn't really that powerful. I mean they can only destroy planets by using a large amount of KI. They can be hurt after being knocking into a mountain or thru one. But DBZ just causes alot of commotion.

Kento
*laughs* Zorro also hold three swords, and then there is Gaara's sand thing, and Kyuubi in Naruto who heals him very fastly. But still all of them are within normal endurance, and strength, and can be hurt when hit, and can be cut. (Next to naruto who has super stamina cause of Kyuubi)

ArekExcelsior2
To Kento: Yeah, that's basically it: It's a lot of commotion. I'd prefer not to allow Z Fighters if only because it's so basic penis-size comparison. "Well, he's at ".

To Scoobless: Research, my friend. That's why the restriction is that you have to be able to provide some evidence and some background. I mean, a lot of this board is canonical dispute basically: Who beat Juggernaut, the shockwave or Hulk? Etc. etc. It'd actually be REFRESHING to not have the comic on hand so you'd have to respond with a wider variety of abilities.

What do other people think of the Uber character? I actually have no problem with striking the top slot. I still think that, say, Onslaught could be beaten by a creative psychic lifeforce vampire or some such, but it surely couldn't hurt to only have 2 High, Mod and Low.

Kento
I think Thanos level might be to high. Maybe as strong as Supes or something a little strong but Thanos can kick nearly everybody's butt in any world, and So can SS.

ArekExcelsior2
To Kento's second post: Not really. We don't see them often crush the environment, but check out some of the movies, say, of Yu Yu Hakusho. That has an entire plane of existence and a good portion of Japan devastated. The Toguro fight empties a stadium of demons. Sensui blows up huge portions of the Earth. Even in Naruto, just check out what the fights between Zabuza and Kakashi or a pretty basic Rasengan or Chidori or the tripolar fight of Tsunade, Orochimaru and Jiraiya when they summoned their animals. Look at the devastation that Zorro's fight with Mr. My Body's Metal wreaked and the type of hits Zorro could take. And these examples are from EARLY in these series.

My fighting philosophy is: It's not all about measuring what cross-section of the Earth someone could sever in one blow. It's about technique, strategy, a wide variety of physical and mental attributes, etc. Someone could conceivably not be able to do as much raw damage with a punch and yet have so much better control, targeting skill, ability, etc. that they'd cream the other guy. Muhammed Ali didn't hit as hard as most of his competition, but he punched 1/20 a second. Bruce Lee wasn't just fast because of muscles, but because of his incredible positioning, quickness of mind and body, coordination, emotional sureness and mushin/zanshin style skills.

ArekExcelsior2
One rule is: No character when he was at cosmic level power for a brief time period. No Ultimate Gargoyle Firebrand, no Cosmic Spiderman, no Ultimates, etc. That also means noone when they're holding onto an unlimited power artifact. The character can be anywhere within their normal level of development, not when they're uber as a story contrivance.

Kento
Yea. This is true. I mean strategy, people that help each other, and strength would all be able to take out somebody of higher strength. So I guess it be good. And They still can be cut, and bleed, and stuff. They aren't like invunerable to anything. But the Bloodlines in Naruto would even out alot of stuff. Though why I'd like to have Manga is cause of GetBackers, and Ban Midou. He'd be an awesome addition to a team specially if the team was out powered.

ArekExcelsior2
Totally. Sharingens and Byakugens, chakra manipulation, etc. makes the playing field a little more diverse.

I'm just going for Yusuke for obvious reasons. wink

Kento
I'm going with Ban cause of his Evil Eye. It's a lot cooler then Sharigan..but limited to 3 times a day, and once a person a day.

Scoobless
the fact that i recognise almost none of the characters you are mentioning ArekExcelsior2 takes some of the fun out of it and i feel less like taking part because of it, not saying it's a bad thing, it just may not be for me

one thing, you keep mentioning Zorro...... are you talking about this guy?
http://www.pub.umich.edu/daily/1998/sep/09-24-98/photos/zorro.gif

or some manga character with the same name?

Kento
*laughs* No not Zoro. Zorro is a guy from a anime called One Piece who uses a three sword style. One in each hand, and one in his mouth, and he's trying to become the best swordsman..Tho he's far from it by his defeat of the guy who is the best swordsman.

ArekExcelsior2
Manga character with the same name. If other people don't want to include manga and just want to do DC/Marvel, that's fine. So far, though, it seems you're in the minority.

But given your current Graviton barrier/keep everyone held in the air strategy, I think that adding manga won't hurt you, frankly.

Kento
I just want to use two manga people. But if they dont happen its okay. But why just limited to Marvel/DC. There's also Image, and other ones.

Scoobless
lol......... my own usage of the uber power character in the other tourny is the main reason i'd like to see a less powerful character tournament......... it's always coming down to whether or not my top guy can handle their top guy...... whoever people think would win of those two is who gets the vote...... and rightly so, none of my other guys could handle Superman or anyone like him and neither could anyone else's second level guys

Kento
big grin I don't really wanna use high level beings either but I think with enough info, and stuff there can be a team of not as strong but smarter, and better team that could make up the difference.

ArekExcelsior2
Sure. Let's strike the uber dude. Six on six is a little easier to handle anyways. I still think an uber dude CAN be beaten, it's just not easy.

Kento
Okay so what strength level will it go to?

ArekExcelsior2
No Thanos, Onslaught, Graviton, etc. Superman might be admissible... maybe.

Kento
Would Manhunter be useable is Supes is?

ArekExcelsior2
I think Yusuke's strength level is about the max. It's only because I think Yusuke could take Superman that I think that Superman can be part of it.

Kento
*laughs* I'm trying to get to think of my team, and I was gonna use Martian Manhunter soo I was wondering since he is debateable stronger then supes is he useabel.

ArekExcelsior2
Martian Manhunter got pretty well pwned by some Red Martians, as did Superman, as did the JLA. I think that's just fine. Any comments?

Kento
Nope. 'Cept how many team memebers.

ArekExcelsior2
So far, I'm doing 6.

Kento
Okay then. lol are we the only people doing this thread?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.