Does the concept of morality change with time?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

iliveforme
Do you think the concept of morality changes with time?
Or is it something that can't be?

Jackie Malfoy
I think it ca't be.JM

Imperial_Samura
I would say it does. In the long range of human history morality today is different from 1000 years ago, 500 years, even 30 years. The moral nature that people like Socrates pondered has changed with cultures, times and so forth.

ms_erupt
By the concept of morality I'm going to assume that you mean what people deem as acceptable and moral behavior. And, what people view as morally permissable obviously changes with time. Well, at least that what I think.

Clovie
some stuff does change... like in 19th century wear mini skirts would be consider as immoral while now it is something perfectly normal.

but there are also things which (i think) will be always knows as immoral... murdery, stealing...(and it is not that it is crime...it is just simply wrong)

Storm
It is not unusual for widescale changes in views on morality to occur, morality may derive from historical circumstances no longer common or relevant in society.

Filth
Morality changes but not over time, it changes with the increase of knoledge, let me give you an example 500 odd years ago burning people at the stake for being witches was considerd a nessessery evil now burning witches at a stake would come under murder as we now have the knoledge that witches are not evil creatures sent from hell, get my point?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.