78 Reason to hate Episode I

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Uber_God
I found this on a site
thought it might make good argument.
Ill start it off with the first 10
if the arguments against them are good or the mods dont close this ill continue

Uber_God
Reason #1
The Title
The Phantom Menace is not a good title at all. The first bout of disappointment I had to deal with was about six months before the movie came out when they made the announcement that it would be called The Phantom Menace. Originally I remember hearing that it would be titled Disturbance in the Force. That title wasn't great either but still a great deal more satisfying than The Phantom Menace. It sounds too much like the title of one of those Sci-Fi or Fantasy novels you laugh about because you're too busy reading Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reason #2
The Trade Federation
This yawner hits you early on while the classic introductory text is still scrolling up.

Turmoil has engulfed the

Galactic Republic. The taxation

of trade routes to outlying star

systems is in dispute.

Huh? Trade routes? What kinda plot is that? This sounds more like some boring course in American History than the plot for a Science Fiction movie. Isn't this what started the War of 1812? Is Andrew Jackson going to be in this movie? The trade Federation is never fully explained either. If they are indeed a Trade Federation then why do they have an army? And why do they have a seat in the senate? And why do they have a "Viceroy"? This leads me to my next problem...

Reason #3
The Viceroy's Accent
The Viceroy and his assistant seem to be doing poor French accents. Remember that show on Comedy Central several years ago called Viva Variety? No? It was the same premise only executed much more brilliantly.

Reason #4
"I have a bad feeling about this."
I have seen the original Star Wars Trilogy somewhere approaching 1,000 times. I don't feel this to be an over-exaggeration but, more accurately, a pretty darn close estimate. It is sort of an inside joke among Star Wars fans that this needs to be said in every movie. Having it be one of the first lines of the movie was, I felt, a poor idea. It is Obi-Wan's first line. We don't even know what the hell is going on and already he has a bad feeling. Although I disagree with the placement of the line I was feeling much the same as Obi-Wan while sitting in my theater seat.

Reason #5
"Check it out, Corporal."
An army entirely made of droids I will accept (for the current moment). The fact that they have ranks I will not! How can an army of mechanical objects have ranks? Why are they giving commands through audible microphones? A military droid should not communicate via sound waves nor should one outrank another. They should simply draw weapons and fire. Not only would this make them a scarier foe but they would also probably spend a lot less time drawing comic attention to themselves and falling apart in a humorous manner.

Reason #6
Qui-Gon's Gross Negligence of the Force
There is a scene where Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are blocked from entering the bridge of the ship by blast doors. The Viceroy sees them coming and orders someone to press a button which closes the blast doors. Qui-Gon acts quickly by using his lightsaber to begin cutting away a hole in the door. This goes on for some time and is ultimately unsuccessful. My question is this: Why doesn't he use the force to press the button that would open the doors? Much the same way Luke throws a rock to try to hit a button in Return of the Jedi, Qui-Gon seems to have a brief memory lapse that prevents him from remembering that the Force could easily solve his immediate problems.

Reason #7
The Viceroy's Lips
The Viceroy and his ridiculous assistant man's lips never match up with their dialogue. This is not something you expect from a film with a budget in excess of $120 million. You would think that in a movie which was 80% computer generated something as simple as lip-synching would be strived for. Instead we spend every Viceroy scene squirming in our seats and trying use the Force to make it end as quickly as possible. This has proven to have limited success.

Reason #8
"Exsqueeze me?"
I love the show Xena: Warrior Princess. Back when that show first premiered, I would squeal with delight when it came on every Saturday night. One of the highlights for me was when Aphrodite (played by Alexandra Tydings) would make an appearance. The best part was that she talked like a bodacious dudette straight out of an eighties movie. She should say things like: "Gnarly dudes!" and "Exsqueeze me?" Having said this, I do not wish to have this type of thing pollute the Star Wars universe. It's like that part in the Star Wars novel where Lando makes hot chocolate. In writing in the Star Wars universe the author should be responsible enough to remember that he/she is not on present day Earth. Sadly George Lucas no longer possesses this type of discipline.

Reason #9
Jar Jar Binks
I'm not really a "hit 'em when they're down" kinda guy. I usually like defending people who get picked on by EVERYONE. When everyone makes a cheap joke about President Clinton being fat, Jennifer Lopez having a giant ass, or John Tesh being a crappy music maker, I like to try and defend that person. There are two exceptions I have to this rule. I will agree with anyone that Michael Jackson is a disgusting space-alien freak and I will agree with the world that Jar Jar Binks is horrible. A lot of people blame Jar Jar for ruining the ENTIRE movie. While I don't agree with this school of thought I certainly feel that he brought an already sketchy movie to an even lower level. He was just a ridiculous cartoony character that didn't belong in a live action movie. No matter how good the effects on him were he kept reminding you that he wasn't real by doing silly things like extending his tongue and walking like a fool. His first appearance in the movie is the point when you realize you're going to be seeing a film a lot less like Episodes IV-VI and a lot more like Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Reason #10
J.U.B.A.
At one point Jar Jar informs the Jedi that his city is underwater. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan immediately whip out these dandy little Jedi Underwater Breathing Apparatuses and dive in. Why is it that every time a ship has a damaged hyperdrive (happens in almost every film) they never have the tools to repair it... on a GIANT starship? Yet anytime there's any obstacle in a single character's way they always seem to have a grappling hook, a set of binoculars or a mysterious underwater breathing device no bigger than a ham sandwich. While we're on the subject, where the hell did Obi-Wan get that training droid in Episode IV? Did Han Solo have one on board the Millennium Falcon? I find that doubtful.

jedimaster2000
Yeah, I read it before. He even has some 80+ reasons to hate AOTC. Personally, I think the author of that site should f*ck off and get a life.

Uber_God
damn
i should have had multiple choice for the poll
could have chose the top 3

Uber_God
screw it ill post them all
just to see who can insult this guy as many times for different reasons

Uber_God

Uber_God
Reason #21
Jar Jar steps in poop
On Tatooine Jar Jar steps in what we assume is Bantha poop. Contrary to what George Lucas may believe, this scene is not necessary.

Reason #22
A Nubian?
At one point Qui-Gon shows a hologram of their ship to Watto, an annoying flying character. Watto strokes his chin and says: "Ah, nice ship... Nubian." We can assume that he means the ship is from Naboo. He clearly says "Nubian" and not "Nabooian". I have a copy of the script and it is spelled N-U-B-I-A-N. Why not just say "Canadian" or "European" or some other word that will totally distract the audience for the rest of the scene? Yet another reference to something strictly Earth related that should never have made it into the final cut.

Reason #23
Angels
When Anakin first sees Padme (actually Queen Amidala) he says, "Are you an angel?" When she asks him what he's talking about he says, "They live on the moons of Iego, I think." He didn't have to say the moons of Iego bit. While I agree that being confronted by Natalie Portman for the first time face to face may make a man say strange things, this scene is totally unnecessary. It's a reference to Earth religious concepts that Lucas attempted to save with the whole "moons of Iego" bit that just doesn't work. Then Anakin talks about how pirates mention these Angels. This is Ancient Greece... this sort of thing wouldn't happen. This is a needless reference to the fact that Anakin and Amidala are eventually going to "hook up". Everyone knows it is going to happen, I see no need making reference to it in the first line of damn dialogue that the two characters share! I would have preferred him saying something less romantic along the lines of "You make my ding-dong feel funny." Or "I may not know what puberty is yet, but you're kinda hot."

Reason #24
Force-Proof Heads
When Qui-Gon offers Republic credits to Watto, Watto isn't interested. Qui-Gon attempts to use the Jedi Mind Trick to get him to accept the offer. Watto then says: "What you think you're some kinda Jedi, waving your hand around like that? I'm a Toydarian. Mind tricks don'ta work on me, only money." How is it that a creature can have a Force-Proof head? Watto's head didn't look all that unusual. One of Jacques's least favorite of the Timothy Zahn novels (which I rather enjoyed and consider a much more real part of the Star Wars universe than Episode I) was this special material that could repel the Force. In retrospect I believe that Jacques is right. The Force shouldn't be like an X-ray or radiation or something. Something that powerful should not have a kryptonite. This brings us to the question of: "What is a Jedi mind trick?" Does it use the force at all? If so then why don't Toydarians make all the Jedi their bitches?

Reason #25
More aliens?
Somewhere around the time that Watto (the alien who owns Anakin and flies around) is introduced I remember thinking to myself "How many damned aliens are there in this Universe?" I understand that the universe is big and that Lucas is trying to show how diverse this galaxy is but how realistic is it that every movie introduces new aliens as minor characters? Where is Watto's race during Episode IV? I get sick of seeing one of every alien while all of the important characters are usually human. It would have been a lot cooler if Jar Jar was a Sullustan (Nien Nunb) or a Mon Calamari (Admiral Akbar). Both are aquatic type aliens that we would have been familiar with; it would have made a lot more sense to see them. You could say: "Oh... so that's how the Mon Calamari eventually became such strong supporters of the rebellion!" Instead of: "Oh no... I hate the Gungans!"

Reason #26
Sebulba
Sebulba might as well be wearing a leather jacket, have greased back hair and have a pack of Marlboros rolled up in his shirt sleeve. This guy is just a classic movie bully with no substance. I'm sure we all enjoyed him giving Jar Jar a good thrashing but I maintain that he could have been toned down a bit.

Reason #27
Anakin built C-3P0
I will not accept that fact that Anakin built C-3P0. I won't do it. You can torture me in a scene reminiscent of the finale in Braveheart and I will cry out "Freedom!" rather than admit to this horse shit. Anakin simply didn't build C-3P0, end of story. Anakin says that he's good at building things. I'll believe that. My friend's nine-year old son used to build stuff and wire up all the home electronics. That I'll believe. Anakin built a Pod Racer. I will even believe that. I will entertain the notion that he may have put C-3P0 together using an "Assemble Your Own Robot" home kit but I doubt that they give those away to slave boys. I have one simple defense to prove that he didn't build C-3P0: Anakin Skywalker--the ten year old boy--does not know 6,000,000 forms of communication. Does Anakin Skywalker have experience with binary loadlifters? No. We know that C-3P0 does. Does Anakin Skywalker know how to speak Ewok? I doubt it. C-3P0 can. Does Anakin Skywalker know how to understand moisture vaporators? Probably not since he's not a machine (yet). The only language (other than the main language that they speak ) that Anakin knows is Huttese. I'll accept the fact that maybe he was lying to try to impress Padme in hopes that she would sleep with him. I hope that's what it was because otherwise I'm very upset with this turn of events.

Reason #28
"I'm not sure this floor is entirely stable."
Again I was forced to deal with embarrassment for acts I was not responsible for. Damn you, George Lucas! This is just another in a long line of cheap jokes Lucas makes to try to win over the die hard Star Wars fans by making them think he's "hip". This doesn't work. It's about as cool as when he edited in Bobba Fett into the first movie. It's a pointless, cheap and unacceptable way to gain approval from your fans. I have a better idea for how to gain approval from your fans: STOP SUCKING! Instead of keeping your damned movies under lock and key, allow a small percentage of trusted fans to see your movies before they are released. A simple test screening could have fixed a lot of big problems with Episode I. It probably couldn't have convinced Lucas that the millions of dollars spent generating the Jar Jar scenes would have to go but it at least could have fixed some of the other reasons this movie was such a disappointment.

Reason #29
"C-3PO, meet R2-D2."
Yet again I am embarrassed. As if it weren't obvious enough who these two droids we're dealing with are, it is shoved in our face yet again! We get it! The droids were there... they're meeting! They're later going to be inseparable robot buddies! Enough already! Just about the only character from a previous movie that was introduced well was Bib Fortuna. He walked quietly on and off the screen with no unnecessary splendor. I don't get it because George Lucas seemed to have developed this entire school of thought in the first three movies. He would create these huge expensive sets just to blow them up or have them pass in the background for just a few seconds. Now he seemed to be just abandoning this philosophy for cheap thrills. The beauty of a movie like this is that it's going to be watched many many times by many many stupid people. You can afford to not have every joke and nod to the other movies not be so dead center. It was around this point in the film I remember being reasonably certain I would have to watch Selacious P. Crumb walk by and stand in front of the camera for fifteen minutes while waving, winking and setting off flares.

Reason #30
Slaves have microchips in their heads.
Slaves have microchips in the head so that if a slave escapes they can blow the slave up. What more do I have to say? That's really stupid.

Uber_God

Uber_God
Reason #41
"Uh oh!"
Before the Pod Race Sebulba walks by Anakin's pod and unhooks a cable. He says, "Uh oh." Then he chuckles to himself as he walks away. I actually think that this is pretty funny. If he hadn't said "Uh oh" I wouldn't have paid any attention to it at all.

Reason #42
Sebulba says "Bantha Poodoo!"
Sebulba says "Bantha Poodoo" because it wouldn't be right if two minutes elapsed in this film without some sort of inane reference to the first three movies. Any Star Wars fan worth their weight knows that "poodoo" is Huttese for "fodder". There is no conceivable way that anyone who loses a race will become fodder for anyone or anything. Surely Sebulba could have thought of something a little more clever than this to say. Wait, no he couldn't... George Lucas was writing his lines.

Reason #43
Anakin's Two Faces
Could the pod race be any longer? People kept saying how awesome the pod race was going to be and how much it "kicked ass". I found it rather boring. During the entire pod race sequence I am never fully convinced that Anakin is in a pod, rather I am reminded of the poorly done car sequences from the movies of the thirties and forties. Anakin only ever makes two faces. Either he's puckering his lips or he is gritting his teeth. He doesn't seem to have any idea what is going on in the pod or the race. That's because it's a movie and Lucas reminds you of this by spending nearly half the pod race focused on Anakin's face.

Reason #44
"I don't care what universe you're from..."
The idea of an announcer with two heads giving two commentaries in different languages is absurd enough. The fact that one of the heads actually says, "I don't care what universe you're from, that's gotta hurt!" may in fact be the thing in my life that currently pains me the most.

Reason #45
Jawas
Jawas appear sporadically throughout the Tatooine segments. They never say anything except the classic Jawa line: "Oonteenee!" I wonder if they are speaking Huttese or if they have their own language. Either way, their brains must be unusually small if their only expression seems to be: "Oonteenee!"

"Hey Jawa, you just won the lottery!"

"Oonteenee!"

"Hey Jawa, your mom just died!"

"Oonteenee!"

"Hey Jawa, you have a nice butt."

"Oonteenee!"

Reason #46
"Poodoo!"
Once again we are confronted with Sebulba using the term "bantha poodoo". When he looses the race he shouts: "Poodoo!" I am not one of those guys who memorizes the made-up languages in these movies (although you should be certain that they do exist) but I do know a little bit of Huttese. We know from Return of the Jedi that the phrase "bantha poodoo" means "bantha fodder". Now if we assume that "bantha" translates to "bantha" then that would leave "poodoo" meaning "fodder". What kind of person uses the word "fodder" as an expression of disdain? Can you imagine being beaten by your arch nemesis and crying out "Fodder!" as your last words? Of course you can't because no one would ever do that! What he should have said was: "poopoo!"

Reason #47
The Greedo Costume
When Anakin celebrates with his friends after winning the race it becomes ridiculously obvious that the baby Greedo is just a midget in a costume. It's clearly not a kid because he's much to pudgy. At no point do you think that it's an alien, you just think it's someone in a pretty good Halloween costume. They had the technology twenty years earlier, why can't they pull it off now? I'd also like to know how Greedo eventually slimmed down to the size he was in Episode IV. Somewhere on Tatooine I suspect there is a George Foreman grill.

*Reason #48
Pathetic Lifeforms
At one point after the pod race Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon talk via Jedi cellphone and Obi-Wan says: "Why do I sense that we have picked up another pathetic lifeform?" This is one of the highlights of the movie because not only is he calling Anakin pathetic but he is also implying that Jar Jar is pathetic and what's not to love about that?

Reason #49
"Yipee!"
At two separate points in the movie Anakin exclaims, "Yipee!" The second "yipee" comes when he learns that he is going to join Qui-Gon and leave his mother, home and everything he knows, forever. Two things: 1.) No ten year old could deal with this so easily and 2.) no one has ever actually said "Yipee!" about anything.

Reason #50
Touching Scene
After Anakin stops being an idiot and figures out that never seeing his mother again means that he's never going to see his mother again, there is a touching mother and son scene that leads to a heart wrenching 24 second pouting sequence after which Anakin entirely forgets his mother ever existed. He also ditches C-3P0 and is pretty much a total ******* about it, not being sad at all about stranding his "robot buddy" on Tatooine.

jedimaster2000
Well, first off, the sack head who wrote this had a FEW good reasons, and others were just total Bullsh#t. Like the Nemodian with the "French" accent. I mean, WTF?? who the f*ck told him Lucas was trying to imitate a French accent? Maybe it was just a random Nemodian accent. And the underwater breathing apparatuses. WTF do they have anything to do with tool boxes? Think about how much bigger a tool box is than a small breathing apparatus or electro binoculars, do you expect Jedi knights to walk around and carry tool boxes like construction site workers? Get real, the job of a Jedi Knight is too maintain PEACE and ORDER in the galaxy, not to walk around and repair hyperdrive generators. The electro-binoculars and underwater breathing apparatuses were for their own convenience. Geez...

I'd like to see this jack@$$ write a movie and make it as good as Star Wars. He obviously CAN'T. He WAS NEVER as great as George Lucas, and WILL NEVER be as great as George Lucas. That should be enough for him. The fact that he even came up with a website and thought about ALL the tiny and insignificant details that made Episode 1 and 2 bad proved that he has a screwed up life which he could do nothing better with. Honestly, if this guy didn't like the movies, then he shouldn't watch them!! Instead, he should just SHUT UP and GO F*CK HIMSELF.

Uber_God

Uber_God
Reason #61
Anakin's Ineptitude
Jake Lloyd is a ten year old boy so I would feel bad if I made fun of him. I think he did a good job given the crap that he had to work with. However there are a few points in the movie where he delivers a rather lackluster performance. That's fine... that's why they have this thing called "Multiple Takes"! The one that sticks out more than any is the line: "Master, I've heard Master Yoda talking about midi-chlorians and I was wondering... what are midi-chlorians?" The line itself is written with the skill of a six year old and being delivered (with no fault to Jake Lloyd) poorly on top of this. Luckily Qui-Gon doesn't go into an agonizing description of the molecular and organic properties of midi-chlorians and how they help a Jedi use the force using the term "symbiont organisms" to illustrate his point. Oh wait, I was thinking of the Three Amigos. That didn't happen in the Three Amigos but it did happen in The Phantom Menace.

Reason #62
Senator Palpatine
If I hadn't seen Episodes IV through VI then I think the whole Palpatine thing would be pretty cool. I think Ian McDiarmid does a brilliant job of acting like a really nice if kinda weaselly politician. It becomes kinda clear that he's working some of the situation to his own advantage but that is what a politician does. It's not clear what he's scheming, if anything at all. There's only one small problem with all of this: I have seen Episodes IV through VI and according to my most recent calculations there are about six billion other people who have. What's worse is that we've all known this for over twenty God damned years! What's with all the mystery? We know that he is Darth Sidious. Just say it and stop being all clever. It's like reading the last chapter in an Agatha Christie novel once a day for twenty years and then finally reading the beginning. This is why Agatha Christie didn't design her books to be read in this manner. Unfortunately George Lucas lacks that judgement.

Reason #63
"Yousa Qui-Gon Gonna Die?"
You know that Qui-Gon is going to die. He's practically a carbon copy of Obi-Wan from Episode IV. What makes it even more obvious is that he and Obi-Wan have this touching scene where Qui-Gon tells Obi-Wan how great a student he's been and how much he's learned, etc. Then Obi-Wan in turn tells Qui-Gon how much he means to him. I remember sitting in the theater thinking: "Okay, I know he's going to die now its just a matter of when. Hmmmmm. I wonder if it will involve Darth Maul and a lightsaber? Only time will tell." If they had left this pointless scene out then maybe Qui-Gon's death would have been a surprise if you were dumb... or under the age of eight.

Reason #64
"Meesa lika dis!"
Boss Nass agrees to form a military alliance with the Naboo because Queen Amidala says that she is not as good as a Gungan. Boy. I'm not sure what is dumber, Gungans or this plot device.

Reason #65
General Binks
Because of Jar Jar's minimal involvement with the alliance between the Gungans and the naboo he is made a General. What is it with George lucas and this idea that anyone who does one minor thing is suddenly fit to lead troops into battle? This is the equivalent of some guy saving a kid trapped in a well and then meeting the president and the president saying: "Thank you, citizen. I'm now making you a general... in the United States military! Now lead our men to victory, General!" I'm not even sure that luke, Han Solo and Lando were all capable. They were cool and they did good things but leading troops into battle is a serious job. Luke, Lando and Han never showed any leadership skills prior to receiving the rank. Jar Jar is even worse because he showed that he is inept and clumsy prior to being made a general. Apparently showing Queen Amidala where the Gungans were hiding suddenly made him a military genius.

Reason #66
Mobile Holograms
While the Viceroy is walking around the captured palace of Naboo there is a hologram generator that is following him with a hologram transmission from darth Sidious. It's walking around on legs! Legs! It's downright preposterous.

Reason #67
Binoculars
Right before the big battle on Naboo between the Gungans and the Trade Federation there is a Trade Federation droid surveying the battlefield with binoculars. Is this a joke? It's hard to tell in this movie what is done for humor value and what is just unintentionally funny. If this is done for a joke then it is not funny and really unrealistic. If this is done because some dipshit didn't consider the absurdity of it before hand then shame on them!

Reason #68
"Cease Fire!"
After a few rounds are fired at the Gungans' shields and do no damage a droid calls a "cease fire!" Now we know at this point that the droids are being controlled by a ship in orbit. Why do the droids need to againcommunicate via sound waves to each other. I think that droids that make no auditory communications would be a much scarier and more realistic foe. Maybe if they didn't communicate and say silly things like "You're under arrest!" and "Roger, Roger" every five seconds then there would actually be a moment in the movie when you could take them seriously as an enemy.

*Reason #69
jedi Prepare for Battle
When Darth Maul finally meets up with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan on Naboo it is actually really cool how they prepare for battle. The Jedi stare the sith down and they all take off extraneous clothing and make last minute adjustments. It's very Akira Kurosawa in its simplicity. I really hate to admit it though.

Reason #70
Barnstormer Anakin
Qui-Gon tells anakin to wait in the cockpit of one of the Naboo ships that was supposed to go into battle. Wasn't there a pilot that could have been flying that thing? Apparently there were only about five pilots on Naboo because they left their sixth fighter in the hangar. Through a hilarious chain of events Anakin ends up in the battle saying things like: "Oops!" and "What does this button do?" and "This is tense!" and "Whoa!" and "Let's try spinning, that's a good trick!" and "Aaaaaaaaaaaah!" Marvelous.

Uber_God
Reason #71
More Utilities
By the equipment that the average person carries around in this movie I'm surprised that they're not all walking around with hiking backpacks. At one point Queen Amidala is cornered by troops and the only way out is to get a floor up. But how does one do that where there are not any stairs around? Not to worry! Queen Amidala and some of her entourage seem to have these guns that shoot grappling hooks and then also have motors that retract the grappling hook with enough force to lift a human body. Phew!

Reason #72
Only in a Video Game
When Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are chasing Darth Maul they come across this one corridor that is a series of seven or eight shield generated walls that turn on and off in a specific pattern. This is cool except that it is a scenario that would only ever exist in a video game.

Reason #73
Anakin's Crash
Anakin just happens to crash into the main Trade Federation ship/command center. When there he accidentally releases two proton torpedoes directly into the power core of the ship and then accidentally flies out of the hangar bay. All the droids on Naboo then loose power. Oh, for silly luck!

Reason #74
Obi-Wan's Recovery
After Qui-Gon's death we are faced with the biggest disappointment in the final Jedi fight sequence. Obi-Wan, his lightsaber lost down one of many bottomless pits, is hanging precariously by a pipe. It seems like Darth Maul has him right where he wants him when all of a sudden Obi-Wan just flips up out of the pit, uses the force to grab Qui-Gon's fallen lightsaber and just slices Darth Maul in half. That's it. An otherwise action-packed fight sequence ends with the stupidest, suspense-free ending one could ever hope for. Since Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan could barely survive against Darth Maul when fighting together I would have appreciated this climax a bit more if Obi-Wan would have had to assert some amount of effort. It doesn't really matter because I'm sure that in Episode II it will be revealed that N'Sync found Darth Maul at the bottom of the pit and sewed him back together.

Reason #75
Palpatine's Foreshadowing
When they all meet after the battle, Senator Palpatine says: "And you too, young Skywalker. We shall watch your career with great interest." George Lucas has really not mastered the prequel just yet. Someone should sit him down and make him watch Pulp Fiction and Memento so he can get an idea (or perhaps remember) how to make a good film. The thing about foreshadowing is that you shouldn't make it too obvious on the first viewing of a movie. Foreshadowing is extra obvious when you're foreshadowing something that everyone on the planet already knows is going to happen.

Reason #76
Palpatine's Chin
While discussing the Sith Lord that the Jedi had encountered, Yoda says: "Always two there are... no more... no less. A master and an apprentice." Then Mace Windu asks: "But which was destroyed? The master or the apprentice?" Then there is a close-up of Palpatine's chin. I'm not sure why I don't like this but it seems like the Palpatine's chin close-up is just another in a long series of reminders that this man is Darth Sidious and will one day rule as the Emperor. I can think of at least eighteen different ways this entire situation could have been handled differently. A simple thing such as not focusing in on Palpatine's chin (the only visible part of Darth Sidious's face) could have made this scene a little better.

Reason #77
A Static Ending
At the very end of the movie Queen Amidala presents Boss Nass with that static electricity sphere from the Boston Museum of Science. No explanation is given as to what this stupid thing is but for some reason the crowd goes wild. The same scene without the silly ball would have been a tremendous improvement of an otherwise meaningless waste of time.

Reason #78
Back to the Classics
After the glorious sphere presentation, everyone stands around and mugs for the camera, R2-D2 hops around and chirps and in all other ways it just emulates Episode IV. The Disappointment finally ends but the blatant rip-off reminds you of Star Wars Episode IV and the good 'ol days when movies only had a few minor flaws and not 78 major ones!

And thus ends the jackass rantings of episode I by this dickweed
Look out for the ranting of episode II

The Inkeeper
Those were hilarious, i love that guy laughing

Darth_Janus
I didn't agree with most of those, but the ones I did agree with I found hilarious.

blupping

TheElectricFox
you should change the name of the Poll to

:: 78 reasons to Hate Uber_God::

Crazy88No.1
Yeah, I was actually gonna create a thread on this now, that's funny, lol big grin

Darth_Janus
Well, someone is taking this seriously. I mean, no one's forcing anyone to read all this and agree. I found myself nodding throughout many of the reasons, and guess what? I still love the movies. And guess what? I'm not blowing an artery like you are and wanting this thread deleted when I can find eighty or so other instances of purer idiocy than this, by far. Now, that said... let's all mellow... chill and be one with the Force... all the stuff. And get over it.

Red Superfly
I think the only reason this guy is angerring so many fanboys is because he has hit a nerve.

I think the anger comes from the fact he's making sense, about half the time.

I'll concede that half of that is really nitpicky - but the other half focuses on truly fundamental mistakes and flaws, and are things I picked up on myself anyway.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Red Superfly
I think the only reason this guy is angerring so many fanboys is because he has hit a nerve.

I'll concede that half of that is really nitpicky - but the other half focuses on truly fundamental mistakes and flaws, and are things I picked up on myself anyway.

No, because he is a self rightous dipshit who believes that "I think" is the way of the highway, and everybody should agree with him.

I mean C'mon man "Its Nabooian, NOT NUBIAN!!!!"

Who cares

DenKi
Look at all these Star Wars Geeks.

Nice Pots uber_god, Its all true i think, and i learned alot

Mr Parker
I like this guy.He made a great point on #19.He is so right where Jar Jar Binks failed at entertaining us,Darth Maul DID because of the reasons that guy listed and I know many others who agree with me on that as well as him.Those were MY immediate thoughts I had as well when I saw Darth Maul as wel as others as well.

norrin radd

SuperDuprShadow
I think uber-god is supershadow

DarkAge
Originally posted by Red Superfly

I agree. There are too many people here who have put Star Wars on a some kind of pedestal.

chilled monkey
Some of these reasons are pretty good. There are a few I don't agree with though:

1. What exactly is wrong with Maul having a motorcycle? You are always going to need ground transport.

2. I like Maul's KISS look. It's fierce-looking and mysterious. If I get to make a movie, I'll probably use something similar.

3. The Force push is cool, but it doesn't remove the need for a lightsabre. The sabre is still needed to cut through things, deflect enemy fire etc. Overusing the Force tires Jedi out. Besides, I think the lightsabre is cooler than the push.

jango fatt
I hate this dumb ass
He the most stupid guy i ever heard of
He 's such an idiot!!!!!

exanda kane
E1 sucks so bad. I was very disappointed . . . .

supercybergeek
I read the things you hate about episode 2 and I found it much more funny. episode 1 points were a bit picky, and some of the things you hate I liked. Not everyone knows as much about star wars as you do, so those hints that seem like a kick in the face are fine for some of us. And the most noticable problem I have is that Yoda is not a puppet in episode one, he is fully digital. check he dvd special features.

SithKiller
Ahh who cares alot of things(well some) can be fixed and or explained in EU so who gives a flying freak....if you liked the movie you liked it...you didnt you didnt ...I dont see how this post will change that...I just think the guy who wrote this has more time on his hands than most of us...lol

Darkside_lover
hey...erm...euu wrote too much...my head hurts now becoz of uWhat the f**k?

ragesRemorse
78 reasons just sounds like to much hating, even for me

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.