Dooku and Tarkin rivalry

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

williamdefalco
Let's pretend that Anakin was killed in the initial Anakin/Dooku Episode III duel, and that somehow in the end of the film it's Dooku that's standing next to Sidious and Tarkin as the Death Star is being built. How long do you think it would last before Dooku and Tarkin are at each others throats? I say that because both men are very similar, i.e. they're policitially savy and charismatic leaders who are always looking to rise up the ranks and gain more power, and I don't believe Dooku would be like Vader and allow Tarkin to order him around, so how can both men truly coexist with each other? Would the Star Wars Universe be big enough to hold these two men? If not, who do you all think would eventually die first?

Batman316
um...... you do know Dooku is a Sith right?

ctsketch
yeah if Dooku wanted Tarkin out of the picture, hed just force choke him, no evidence :P and say he died of natural causes lol

Darth_Nefarus
Yes, but even Vader (who had much more reason to hate, well, everyone) put up with Tarkin's orders.
It would all depend on what Sidious wanted.
But you're right batman316, Dooku would split him open like rotted fruit.

DarthAJ
you just paired them up cause they're old. Right. Right. You got a thing aganist old people?!?!

On topis i think Dooku would be a little harsher than Vader. If Tarkin messed up then Dooku would be up his ass.

Darth_Nefarus
Well like I said, it's all about what Sidious wants. Do you really think Vader would take orders from some jackass like Tarkin unless Sidious commanded it?

DarthAJ
no i guess not. Supid Tarkin. "You overestimate...balh blah blah" "You may fire when...balah blah blah" His speech is worse then Dooku's thats for sure. Read Dark Rendezvous if you want a full lesson in proper english. oth of them are stuck up asses.

Batman316
actually..... why did Takin seem to outrank Vader? I remember when I first saw ANH and Leia says

"Tarkin I should have been expecting you to be holding Vaders leash" (or something like that)

TheElectricFox
Yeah Tarkin outranked him but Vader played the role of a "watchmen" for the Emporer. When anything got out of hand it was his job to get it back on schedule .

Stunrun
At each other's throats?? Dooku (Chris Lee) and the original Tarkin(Peter Cushin) teamed up in the classic hammer horror flicks together, there best of friends LOL, Dracula and Van Helsing -then again, i suppose not many people know that.Its a Brit thingrockstick out tongue

Darth_Nefarus
Vader was probably on punishment for not killing enough people and that's why Tarkin outranked him.

K3VIL
Originally posted by Darth_Nefarus
Vader was probably on punishment for not killing enough people and that's why Tarkin outranked him.
Lol, on punishment, I can imagine it:
Emperor Palpatine: Vader, consider yourself on punishment, until you stop showing too much mercy to the rebel scum
Darth Vader: But Master, I wanna go playing Space Invaders with Tarkin and the other commanders!I wanna play Space Invaders!
E.P.: Shut the **** up!
Yoda: Shut up the **** you must!
A crying Vader goes in his bedroom in punishment, while Tarkin is laughing at him from shadows

Echuu
laughing

Lord Tyrant
Dooku and Vader were both higher in rank, than a Grand Moff.

Darth_Nefarus
Agreed. If Vader wanted to, he could kill anyone in the empire (save for Palpatine) even though he may be punished.
I bet palpatine made him watch videos of the stars wars equivilent of olsen twin videos

FistOfThe North
I think the Emporor has a device inside Vaders suit that the Emporor can set off in an explosion. Or he can Force switch off some sort of switch that causes the power faliure of Vader's suit. Or maybe Vader is scared to be Force electricuted to death by Palpatine cause he knows he'll die from such a shock being that vader is practically more machine than man. I think thats why Vader follows his orders. Because the Force is more potent in Vader than it is in Palpatine. Vader is of the Force and has more of the Force than anyone in the History of the Galaxy.

Darth_Nefarus
That is so not true, GL has said that Vader is 20% less powerful than Sidious. Vader follows orders because he believes there is nothing left of anakin skywalker once Padme is destroyed.
enter luke

FistOfThe North
Ex-Senator Dantius Palpatine a.k.a. Supreme Chancellor a.k.a Galactic Emporor a.k.a Master Sidious. Whoa ...

Kainreaver
Now you guys brought up something that ties in with a theory of mine. I've been wondering who master Syphodeus is...EVERYONE expects it to be darth Maul, but thats too obvious. In the book "Labrynth of evil" Dooku thinks back on darth maul, AND Syphodeus. as if they were 2 different people. He describes Darth Maul as angry, but he missed the big picture. But Syphodeus was like Dooku in the sence that he was a jedi who disagreed with the system. He was a friend of Dookus (Which emplies hes an old guy) And why is Lucas SOOOoooo secretive of ANYTHING about Grand Moff tarkin being in episode III? I think Grand moff tarkin has seniority over Vader because hes been helping Palpatine for 10 years longer than Vader...Like placing an order for a Clone army...I think Tarkin IS Master Syphodeus.

Darth_Nefarus
IMHO sipho dias was an apprentice to sidious that dooku killed and took his place

Kainreaver
Lucas said "We have already seen Master Sipho Dias" which means hes in one of the Star wars Movies. That would be kinda lame if the mystery behind Sipho Dias was just that he was some guy who was killed off before we ever saw him. (other than the fact that it would make Lucas a liar).

Ushgarak
This is not a Sifo-Dyas thread. Stay on topic.

It is abundantly clear from ANH that Tarkin outranks Vader, especially in his area of responsibility. Clearly the Emperor had considerable trust and faith in Tarkin. It;s just the way it is.

Kainreaver
Yes, this is a thread about why Tarkin outranks Vader, and so if a Sipho-Dias theory posses a possable answer to that, then its on topic. Dont blow a blood vessle about it.

Darth Jello
does this have anything to do with the fact that peter cushing and christopher lee were both contemporay horror actors and good friends?

Darth_Nefarus
Tarkin outranked Vader in the military, but you know Sidious was telling Vader to waste him as soon as he made a mistake

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Kainreaver
Yes, this is a thread about why Tarkin outranks Vader, and so if a Sipho-Dias theory posses a possable answer to that, then its on topic. Dont blow a blood vessle about it.

Excuse me, but I will decide what is on topic, thanks- and that was clearly becoming a discussion about who Sifo-days was, which is nothing to do with the thread.

That's my decision- stay off the subject. If you have a problem with that, take it up i private, not here.

FistOfThe North
Supreme Chancellor Dantius Palpatine was his Republican name and his Imperial name is Emperor Sidious. Darth Vaders Republican name was Anakin and Sifo-Dyas Imperial name was changed to his new Imperial name, Governor Grand Moff Tarkin. They all had name changes when the Republic transitioned into the Empire. Obi was Ben.

FistOfThe North
Tarkin was thinking about using the Death Star to destroy Coruscant while Emperor Palpatine was there and then become ruler of the galaxy. Palpatine, fearing that he might, sent Darth Vader to oversee construction and observe Tarkin.

williamdefalco
With this rivalry I believe that Tarkin would come out the winner. Why? Because Tarkin seems like a viscous SOB who would implement anything if it meant achieving his goal. Man to man, against Dooku Tarkin is clearly outmatched by a galaxy's length. But then again Tarkin would never approach it that way. Tarkin seems like a man who would orchestrate a nasty campaign against Dooku, one with many allegations of treason and phony evidence, all of course under the careful, watchful, and allowing eye of the Emperor, who wouldn't need Dooku anymore. Anyone agree? Disagree?

Uber_God
i will agree that i must disagree on agreeing about disagreeing

FistOfThe North
Tarkin was known to be a cold-blooded killer. A few years after the formation of the Galactic Empire, a large group of protesters stood on a landing platform directly underneath his transport, protesting the Imperial taxation on Ghorman. Tarkin ordered his ship to land, crushing and killing hundreds of Imperial citizens. This incident became known as the Ghorman Massacre, and established the "Tarkin Doctrine" of suppressing dissent through state terrorism. Its basic tenant, as Tarkin often said, was "Rule through the fear of force rather than the force itself".

Uber_God
and again i will agree that i must disagree on agreeing about disagreeing about the agreement of disagreeing

darthsinister
Tarkin only outranks Vader formally but Tarkin knows that Vader is the Emperors nb.1! In A New Hope they are both servants of the Emperor. The only reason Vader isn't in command an that time is because the Imperial Senate still egsists, so the Emperor can't put some dark sith lord to be his second in command because nobody knows that he is also a sith lord! (that is explained in Episode III - Visual Guide). Proof of that is when the commander of the Death Star makes fun at Vaders "sorcery", he surely wouldnt make fun of it if he knew the Emperor practices it also! Tarkin however knows that so even though Vader doesnt formally outrank him, he is always very careful with his choise of words, calling him his friend and never giving him direct orders... Once when he told Vader to release the commander, Vader in a very arogant tone said: "Has you wish...".
All that changed when The Senate was terminated, then Palpatine could put anyone he likes to be his second in command...

Anakin_the_Hutt
I think it'd be the same damn thing we see with Vader and Tarkin.

All the Jedi would be dead and there would be no more major battles or fights going on. Just the occasional squishing of small upsurps of resistance in the galaxy.

Dooku would just be bored as hell...letting whatever old geezers take over duties that he deems lower of him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.