Mind**** movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DeVi| D0do
I saw this on another message board....

What are your favourite mind*** movies? By that I mean a film that screws with your mind.

some of my fav's:

Donnie Darko
Dark City
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Memento
Fight Club
12 Monkeys
A Clockwork Orange
The Usual Suspects
Total Recall

jaden101
the game
fightclub
vanilla sky

SlipknoT
the game
Donnie Darko

Myth
Also:
Being John Malcovich
Sixth Sense
Requiem for a Dream

botankus
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Donnie Darko
Dark City
Memento
Fight Club
12 Monkeys
A Clockwork Orange
The Usual Suspects
Total Recall

Out of all of these, I only liked Donnie Darko and The Usual Suspects. Eternal.... was an okay movie, but Kate Winslett's character was one of the most annoying in film history.

MildPossession
Mulholland Drive is an excellent one.

MetallicaT
the game
Sixth Sense
Donnie Darko
Memento

Myth
Boo Mulholland Drive, boo! It is a bunch of randomness that you expect to have a real connection other than "she is crazy." I child could write a bunch of random shit and then have the explanation be that the character was crazy. Biggest cop-out ending ever with horrible acting and filming to go with it.

MildPossession
Acting wasn't horrible and it was shot well, excellent addition to his films.

DeVi| D0do
I tried to watch Mullholland Dr. when it was on tv once but I missed the beginning and couldn't figure out what was going on stick out tongue But definitely mind****, or just ****ed

I forgot Being John Malkovich Myth ... a great movie thumb up
and Vanilla Sky is another good one Jaden thumb up

another good one is Waking Life... very good film

A Scanner Darkly should be another good one

I've been meaning to see Requiem for a Dream and Pi...

IceWithin
Vanilla Sky

ericadurancefan
eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
soul survivors
vanilla sky

thats about it i love movies that make you think and also the ring

Zilverz
you guys forgot

eXistenZ

Myth
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do

I've been meaning to see Requiem for a Dream and Pi...

Pi is ok but I definitely recommend RfaD.

BackFire
Irreversible, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Dr. Strangelove
Videodrome

Tex
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Frailty
Brazil
Dark City
12 Monkeys
Fight Club
Requiem for a Dream
Donnie Darko
Vanilla Sky
Legend
Memento
The Wizard of Oz
Edward Scissorhands
Koyaanisqatsi: Life out of Balance

IceWithin
how is 12 monkeys a mind**** movie?

jaden101
Originally posted by Zilverz
you guys forgot

eXistenZ

****...yeah...forgot about that one...great film...still dont have a clue whether they are pro or anti gaming at the end of it though

has anyone seen the film that vanilla sky was based on...its called "open your eyes"...would like to know if its any good before getting it

MildPossession
It's better than Vanilla Sky, don't bother with Sky, just check out the original.

jaden101
i'll do that...cheers thumb up

Tex
Originally posted by IceWithin
how is 12 monkeys a mind**** movie?

It's freakin weird! wacko

Myth
I see what is meant by 12 Monkeys as a mind f*ck movie.

waspluver
Mine would be deep in the mind of charles manson.

IceWithin
Originally posted by Tex
It's freakin weird! wacko

guess ure right..
but is not as HALF as weird as Vanilla Sky wacko

Lord Shadow Z
Memento for me, by the end I just couldn't be bothered to care what it was about. Don't get me wrong , I thought it was an interesting concept, but when it got to the end I couldn't remember what I'd just watched. (no pun intended)

DeVi| D0do
Haha! yeah, it's a movie you really have to watch several times

Niki
The Butterfly effect
Vanilla Sky
Identity

Trippy
A Beautiful Mind

soylentorange
People who didn't like Mulholland Dr. aren't appreciating the genius of David Lynch! You just have to chill and watch the amazing images wash over you. Right after I watched it at first I was like, what the ****. But over the next few days it sunk in, and...wow.

Tex
Cancer is pretty ingenious too, but its best to avoid. tongue10

IceWithin
blink

wut? stick out tongue

Ou Be Low hoo
Jacob's Ladder

Altered States

They are truly mind-phucking.

Intacto is also good.

BackFire
Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but Audition is another one worthy of mentioning.

IceWithin
Ive never seen it erm

BackFire
It's a japanese horror/thriller movie, very good flick, one of the more disturbing movies out there.

IceWithin
lol really? have u seen the clockwork orange?? that is one fukkin disturbing movie!

jaden101
Originally posted by IceWithin
lol really? have u seen the clockwork orange?? that is one fukkin disturbing movie!

try reading the book...its like learning a whole new language...the dialect is more apparent than the film

loserib
in the mouth of madness

jaden101
another mind **** movie that is medded up purely for its chronological order rather than a confusing plot line...21 grams...one of my favourite films of the last few years...the acting from all three leads (penn,del torro and watts) is magnificent...

DeVi| D0do
^ yes, excellent film!

MildPossession
I didn't find 21 Grams hard to follow, but yes, good film indeed.

hunchy
Many listed above are great. I love Charlie Kaufman's stories:

Eternal Sunshine

Adaptation

Being John Malkovich

Andrew McLeod
I have a pet peeve with this topic. How the hell did the Matrix confuse anyone? It was so simple. They put it all in front of you and told you nearly everything. The story was ingenious but it wasn't hard to figure out. That always bugs me when people say they didn't get it.

Wendigo
Clockwork orange

MildPossession
A lot of films people have mentioned I didn't find hard at all to follow.

jaden101
Originally posted by MildPossession
I didn't find 21 Grams hard to follow, but yes, good film indeed.

ploy wise its very simple indeed...its the matter that the scenes are not in chronilogical order that makes it weird

the best description i read about was that the film is like a shuffled deck of cards...each scene is a different card taken from the pack and only when most or all of the cards are seen and put in order does the whole thing make sense

Omegaman
Angel Heart, check it out

I hated Vanilla SKy, it was crap!

Drumdude1167
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
American History X

MildPossession
I liked the start of Vanilla Sky, but apart from that it was pointless, Open Your Eyes is the fantastic original.

Vathu
saw....

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by MildPossession
A lot of films people have mentioned I didn't find hard at all to follow.

I wouldn't describe mindf*ck's as films that are hard to follow... but ones that just make you think or, well, f*ck with your mind...

slinger
Fight Club
Donnie Darko
Total Recall
And, in my opinion, Apocalypse Now. The second half of the movie is surreal. And I've only seen the longer Redux version. The movie was really weird: the way it looked, those French people, Marlon Brando reciting poetry or something. It was nuts.

SeptemberRain
Donnie Darko (favorite movie ever)
Pi
Requim for a Dream

Zilverz
Originally posted by jaden101
****...yeah...forgot about that one...great film...still dont have a clue whether they are pro or anti gaming at the end of it though

has anyone seen the film that vanilla sky was based on...its called "open your eyes"...would like to know if its any good before getting it

I think they were anti. Im pretty sure it ended with them being back into reality. The machines they were jacked in were more realistic.. the creater of the game was paranoid thinking someone was going to kill him/ showing character .. much unlike a lot of the GAMES character types .. good ****ing movie

dancingdonkey
i'm glad people have mentioned 'in the mouth of madness' and 'jacob's ladder' otherwise i would of had to crack some skulls. also 'ichi: the killer' which i still dont understand to this day.

Lord Shadow Z
Natural Born Killers is also a movie which ****s with my head, I get what its about okay, its just the way its made freaks me out.

~MAchinREvenge~
Originally posted by Wendigo
Clockwork orange

Now cmon, it wasnt that confusing

ms_erupt
A Clockwork Orange
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Fight Club

Now, by mind-phuck I don't mean that they were hard to follow, but that they phuck with your mind because after you watch you can't stop thinking about the movie and the concepts/ideas it presented.

mayor_gamgee
Stories told in a way that becomes a joy to try and figure out. Like the horizon, noone knows where the story is going to end up, and we can only ride it and be excited. These type of films are mind effing movies.thus a great deal of the films above fall into the catagory.

It's important to note that a person needs not point to horror films, as they of course eff your emotion and sense of equilibrium. They are rarely "horizon" films.

This said, the following is my list. I know I'm missing some.

David Lynch Films(almost all of them, though Muholland was cheating)
Charlie Kaufman films
Memento
Clockwork Orange
Pi
Requim for a Dream
Le Jette
The adventures of Priscella, queen of the desert (I know someone will argue against this one)
Donnie Darko

tabby999
i thought that Vanilla Sky was just that. vanilla. plainsville. boring as all hell. and i guessed the ending about half hour into the movie. a movie that sneaks up on you and ambushes you when you least expect it is Adaptation. awsome movie, love it. Existenz is one of my other faves, Donnie Darko was pretty bloody tops and i was amazed by Fight Club.

1ost soul
- butterfly effect
- Godsend

MildPossession
I love that film, Jennifer Jason Leigh is one of my favourite actresses, sublime film.

jackstain
i think ur all crazy, because movies can actually "get" to you.

its all fake, dont worry!

Starotix
If you dudes want a real hardcore acid trip sorta movie, watch Gummo. That is a wierd ass flick. And whoever that dude was who does Gummo, look up the rest of his flicks, he also made Ken Park and Kids and a couple other strange ass movies.

Murray
Fight Club was awesome!
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind was amazing!

Red Superfly
Why are people listing the likes of Butterfly Effect and Vanilla Sky as mindf**k movies?

They have a huge amount of explanations. It's the ones that don't have much exposition.

Sadako of Girth
Eraserhead.

(My other choices have pretty much been covered here already...)

ragesRemorse
the crying game literally mind fu**ed me.

T.M
i think The Usual Suspects and eXistenZ are the ones i pick yes

both fecking great movies yes

JimMorrison227
Mulholland Dr. Wow, that movie ****ed with my mind. When it first starts off, it shows some scenes that your already stumped about...And then you start to gather some concept of it....And then BAM! The movie totally flips, and your mind just got raped from Mulholland Dr.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.