Wizard Top 10 Supervillan List

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnoidfreak
Same as the superhero list, if 2-10 teamed up, could they take villain #1?

10 - Bullseye

9 - Sabretooth

8 - Carnage

7- Joker

6 - Ra's Al Ghul

5 - Doomsday

4 - Thanos(this is from 1998, when he still possesed the self defeating personality)

3 - Magneto

2 - Lex Luthor

1 - Dr. Doom

Taken directly from Wizard Magazine, Issue 87, November 1998

demigawd
Could they take villain number 1? THANOS?? with DOOMSDAY??? AND MAGNETO?????

Of COURSE they take villain #1.

Strange - the superhero list seems to be based on power. The supervillain list seems to be based more on character. Joker, obviously, cannot beat Carnage. Lex Luthor, obviously, can NOT beat Thanos.

crazyspinz
1 Dr Doom

2 Thanos

3 Apocalypse (why isnt he there, why?)

4 Magneto

5 DoomsDay

6 Luthor

7 Joker

thats a list ^^^^^

savagerampage
That list is the worse thing i have ever read. The top 5 are pretty good but the last 5 give me a break

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by demigawd
Could they take villain number 1? THANOS?? with DOOMSDAY??? AND MAGNETO?????

Of COURSE they take villain #1.

Strange - the superhero list seems to be based on power. The supervillain list seems to be based more on character. Joker, obviously, cannot beat Carnage. Lex Luthor, obviously, can NOT beat Thanos.

Yea, the villain list isn't really based on physical power, but actual brains, cept for Doomsday. In the magazine, the description for Lex beating Thanos is

"Thanos is a master manipulator. So is Luthor. But the human Luthor has no such subconcious failure-mechanism to stop his plans from following through. With Thanos on the brink of victory, he would ultimately defeat himself, leaving a confused Luthor the true victor"

Draco69
This list was based on preptime and endless resources.

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by crazyspinz
1 Dr Doom

2 Thanos

3 Apocalypse (why isnt he there, why?)

4 Magneto

5 DoomsDay

6 Luthor

7 Joker

thats a list ^^^^^

there's post script actually that says why he isn't there.

"This would be world conquerer has taken 80,000 years to do...nothing. Way to go blue-lips."

demigawd
hahahahahaha. Too good!

savagerampage
where is darkseid, juggernaut, apocalypse, mr. sinister

crazyspinz
pfff, he was asleep for like 79,980 years of it...

demigawd
And got dead for his efforts. Apocalypse doesn't impress me in the least. He's a serious underachiever.

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by savagerampage
where is darkseid, juggernaut, apocalypse, mr. sinister

Darksied is a ***** version of Apocalypse

it says why Juggs isn't there "It was either him or Doomsday, and Doomsday would mop the floor with him"

already said why Apoc isnt there

it doesn't say anything about Mr. Sinister, apparently he sucks too much.

demigawd
Wait, Wizard said that Darkseid is a lame version of Apocalypse? I'm surprised Darkseid didn't make the list...

Arachnoidfreak
Wait, Wizard said that Darkseid is a lame version of Apocalypse? I'm surprised Darkseid didn't make the list...

No lol, i said that. I put everything wizard says in quotation marks.

demigawd
oh ok, lol. So what, Wizard just ignored Darkseid?

Arachnoidfreak
Yes.

Give me a minute, and I'll post the runner up list and the descriptions

savagerampage
You know whats funny wizard said that darkseid would beat thanos but darkseid doesnt even make the top 10 hahah funny

demigawd
Yeah, that's a little strange. I mean..SABRETOOTH? A better villain than DARKSEID??? Are you kidding me? Carnage?? BULLSEYE?!?!?!

Darkseid conquers star systems for a living. Carnage lives in jail for a living. And now he's sitting in two halves in space for a living.

crazyspinz
darksied = thanos

and apocalypse is frikin awsome, he does not get much respect in the forum

demigawd
Apocalypse's biggest feats are inconclusive battles with semi-big names, like Namor, High Evolutionary, Ikaris and Loki. When he does something TRULY impressive aside from beating up on X-factor, call me. smile

savagerampage
Despero is another tough motha f*cker

Arachnoidfreak
"Wicked Wannabes"; who didn't make the list and why

1. Apocalypse - This would-be world conquerer has taken 80,000 years to do...nothing. Way to go blue lips.

2. Baron Zemo - Close- and the last year has seen this guy kick ass, but he's still gotta live down the decades of mediocrity he's lived before he makes the supervillain elite.

3. Brainiac - Regardless of what his name might imply, this cheesy serial villain has done so much of nothing we wonder how he even made THIS backup list.

4. Green Goblin - Fun to watch fly around and throw pumpkins, but not a heavyweight.

5. Juggernaut - Great villain, but it was either him or Doomsday, and Doomsday would mop the floor with him.

6. Kingpin - A poor man's Lex Luthor, only fatter.

7. Prometheus - He takes out Superman, Batman, and the JLA, and what takes him out? A kick to the nads by Catwoman. Next time wear a cup pal.

8. Red Skull - He's a shadow being that currently terrorizes beachcombers. Uhh, what more needs to be said?

9. Taskmaster - He's interested in training hired muscle and making some dough, not in duking it out. Given an opportunity, he'd run from any fight.

10. Venom - Much cooler than Carnage, but nowhere near as tough or as dangerous.

(copied word for word, Wizard Magazine 1998)

crazyspinz
Apocalypse's biggest feats are inconclusive battles with semi-big names, like Namor, High Evolutionary, Ikaris and Loki. When he does something TRULY impressive aside from beating up on X-factor, call me. smile

he took over the word and acualy held on to it, unlike some people (caugh caugh DOOM caugh)

Arachnoidfreak
he took over the word and acualy held on to it, unlike some people (caugh caugh DOOM caugh)

Doom took it over 3 TIMES, and GAVE IT BACK from his own will. and he didn't have 80,000 years. Please, dont even go there.

crazyspinz
agreed, doom rocks

but apocalypse was asleep for acouple thousand years, and he wasnt born 80,000s years ago, it was like 4000 max

demigawd
After 4,000 years + the 6,000 he lived before that. And just like that...he got overthrown by three people. Tsk tsk.

demigawd
He wasn't asleep for a couple of thousand years. He was around during ancient egyptian times, he was around when he found Ship a thousand years later, he was around when he was worshipped by the Sumarians as Seth, he was around in the 13th century when he transformed Exodus, he was around in the 19th century when he transformed Sinister, and he was around in the 20th and 21st century. And those are just the stories we know about.

crazyspinz
awww, now im sad....

demigawd
What can I say? I know my comics. wink

crazyspinz
i do to, i just usualy over look things like that and hope no one else notices.

and for the record, if it wasnt for cable / charles apocalypse would have ruled the world...

demigawd
True. If it weren't for heroes, lots of supervillains would have ruled the world. That's why they're heroes. wink

crazyspinz
yes but those are the only 2 who did anything to him,

eleveninches
Sabertooth and bullseye dont deserve to be on the list.

Mainstream
Apocalypse took over the world in AoA that don't get him no love....I mean..come on.

long pig
Bullseye and Sabretooth definatly should be there.
Theyre both insane and like to kill, hell, Sabretooth has a need to kill, he puts on a mask at night and commits murders on whoever he can grab.
That is real villiany. Bullsye is a good villian because he can kill any human hero at any time with his skills, charge up a pin like gambit(he did this way before gambit was made) and he could kill anyone, and he is also a bloddthirsty killer.

Linkalicious
That list kicks ass.

I'm not huge on Ra's al Ghul but all in all...it's a great list.

eleveninches
Its a better list than the top 10 superheroes list (except for sabertooth and bullseye)

WindDancer
Disagree heavily on that list. Is not even compose right. They're mixing master mind villains with natural born assasins and killers. Bullseye and Sabretooth are cruel heartless villains. Neither of those two could even orgainize a genius master plan. They shouldn't even be anywhere near Ra's and Doctor Doom or Lex Luthor league.

Also where is Magneto on that list? Whutzzup with that? And what about Mephisto???? One of the most evil and dangerous villains in Marvel Comics??

Mainstream
Apocalypse: I shall make you eat those words.....insect...do you not realize I am immortal? I am ....Apocalypse!!!!

Linkalicious
the masterminds are on the list because of their intelligence and vast resources. The assasins and stuff are awesome villains because of their charisma, character, and attitude towards the job they do.

It doesn't have to be about "most powerful," it's more like who's the most ruthless.

Alpha Centauri
Does anyone wanna make a joke about Wizard not knowing anything? Or being fanboys/girls? Perhaps a member of a certain club? Coz it appears they agree with me and most people on this forum.

Bearing in mind that Wizard is also full of egotistical blowhards also, even they acknowledge the common sense.

Although personally I'd have Thanos top.

-AC

Mainstream
me too...then Apoc..then Magneto, Doom, Lex..and so on

Alpha Centauri
darksied = thanos

and apocalypse is frikin awsome, he does not get much respect in the forum

He lost my respect when the X-Men beat him.

You say he took over the world in Age of APOCALYPSE and gets no love? Doom took over the world 3 times and gave it back by choice, he gets hated.

-AC

Zahit
where the hell is LOKI on that list????

Alpha Centauri
Was just thinking that.

-AC

Zahit
Loki IS responsible for the creation of The Avengers!!!
Aside from Thor and his pesky hammer, who on earth can do anything
to Loki??? He's a powerful bad mofo and a manipulator second to none!!

MatchesMalone
Hey, Arachnoidfreak, in Wizard's hero list they explained that they were going by who would win in a fight. Obviously, they didn't do that in the villain list.

Could you do me a favor and post exactly what they stated are the requirements for the villain list? They should have stated that right before they display the list.

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by MatchesMalone
Hey, Arachnoidfreak, in Wizard's hero list they explained that they were going by who would win in a fight. Obviously, they didn't do that in the villain list.

Could you do me a favor and post exactly what they stated are the requirements for the villain list? They should have stated that right before they display the list.

they actually did do that in the list. I just didn't have the patience to write out all 50 ****ing paragraphs of all the fights, and all the "why he's #1, 2, 3 etc" Maybe later tonight. Right now im tired.

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by WindDancer
Also where is Magneto on that list? Whutzzup with that? And what about Mephisto???? One of the most evil and dangerous villains in Marvel Comics??

Magneto is #3, actually.

MatchesMalone
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak
they actually did do that in the list. I just didn't have the patience to write out all 50 ****ing paragraphs of all the fights, and all the "why he's #1, 2, 3 etc" Maybe later tonight. Right now im tired.

Good man. Thanks for your time. I was hoping they would have a brief paragraph explaining what they were looking for in a villain, but I guess not.

K Von Doom
If you have Loki then you'd have to have Mephisto, Dormammu, Morg, Tyrant et al thereby bumping off all human villains. Thanos is the exception because he's still "just" a mutant eternal but has made significant and numerous appearances.

Dr Doom - Marvel's premier villain
Magneto - X-man main villain
Lex - Superman's main villain
Doomsday - killed Superman
Thanos - see IG
Joker & Ras - Batman villains, just to even things out with Marvel
Bullseye - Daredevil main villain
Sabretooth - Wolverine main villain
Carnage - stand in as Spiderman main villain because Goblin and Venom would be destroyed by this guy

A lot of villains should have made the list but if we only go by the smartest and strongest, they'd all be Superman, Hulk, Thor and FF villains. Really, Bullseye doesn't belong on any list which includes Thanos.

Arachnoidfreak
Here Matches:

"Bad Company: Wizard ranks the 10 most dangerous villains in comics

If you mess with them, you're dead. And we don't mean maimed or injured or roughed up a little bit. When you tangle with these trouble makers, you die, plain and simple. No compassion, no remorse, no problem.

And that's what we're looking at here. The baddest of the bad, the vilest of the vile...the 10 most dangerous villains in all of comics.

Our criteria are simple. Just unadulterated villains. No anti-heros like Punisher or Lobo. No cosmic forces or gods of a higher order like Mephisto, Galactus, or Darkseid.(Arachnoidfreak note: Thanos isn't considered cosmic, he's a Titan)

Oh, and one other thing, These are do-or-die, no-holds-barred melees, each baddie dishing out everything they got to survive.

And if you thought seeing these guys fighting heroes was rough, wait'll you see what they do to each other. So let's not waste anymore time and see who made our wanted list..." - Wizard Magazine.

and then they are listed, one by one, starting with Bullseye, each with a description of the character, why he is in the position he is, and how he would fare against the other list members, one at a time.

kgkg
Top marvel villians:

1.) Thanos
2.) Doom
3.) Magneto
4.) Apc

demigawd
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Does anyone wanna make a joke about Wizard not knowing anything? Or being fanboys/girls? Perhaps a member of a certain club? Coz it appears they agree with me and most people on this forum.

Bearing in mind that Wizard is also full of egotistical blowhards also, even they acknowledge the common sense.

Although personally I'd have Thanos top.

-AC

I don't get what point you're trying to make (as usual). I (and others who have argued against Doom) never said Doom isn't a good villain. He's a great villain - he took over the world three times. He's brilliant. I think Lex Luthor is brilliant too and a truly awe-inspiring villain.

They'd both get whipped one-on-one by Magneto, or the Hulk, or Storm or any number of characters.

This isn't a power list, AC. This is a danger list. And Doom is incredibly dangerous. No argument from me.

Alpha Centauri
Whipped by Storm, haha. She couldn't whip him with an actual whip if he let her.

But yes, I agree. Wouldn't call Luthor brilliant, he's more wise and devious than brilliant.

-AC

Arachnoidfreak
They'd both get whipped one-on-one by Magneto, or the Hulk, or Storm or any number of characters.

Would you like to see Wizard's explination on Doom vs Magneto?

"Having already perfected ways to effectively nuetralize mutant powers(see Uncanny X-Men #145-147), Doom's already devised a way to negate Magneto's powers, just for this scenario. Come fight time, a powerless Magneto would last under a minute."

Issue proof right there. Doom isn't getting beat by ANY mutant anytime soon.

Alpha Centauri
You're forgetting that Magneto has Claremont writing for him.

Now that he's told everyone that Magneto can manipulate nearly anything coz he was "holding back out of guilt", there's nothing that he can't do.

-AC

Pepito
Thanos does not require the ig to be considered cosmic. He is better in terms of strength, cosmic manipulation and unkillability than Silver Surfer and could beat a low level Galactus (not eaten for a looong time).
One thing: how come Death banned Thanos from her realm for collaborating with Adam Warlock to prevent the annihilation of the universe when she was repulsed by Walker's gift of all his galaxy's souls.

Arachnoidfreak
Originally posted by Pepito
Thanos does not require the ig to be considered cosmic. He is better in terms of strength, cosmic manipulation and unkillability than Silver Surfer and could beat a low level Galactus (not eaten for a looong time).
One thing: how come Death banned Thanos from her realm for collaborating with Adam Warlock to prevent the annihilation of the universe when she was repulsed by Walker's gift of all his galaxy's souls.

He was born flesh and blood on a planet, offspring of 2 physical beings. he isn't cosmic.

demigawd
Would you like to see Wizard's explination on Doom vs Magneto?

"Having already perfected ways to effectively nuetralize mutant powers(see Uncanny X-Men #145-147), Doom's already devised a way to negate Magneto's powers, just for this scenario. Come fight time, a powerless Magneto would last under a minute."

Issue proof right there. Doom isn't getting beat by ANY mutant anytime soon.

hahahaha...proof that Wizard doesn't know what they're talking about. UXM #145-147 is the issue where Doombot got owned by Storm. Where was his mutant power neutralizer then, huh? There was NO neutralizer and NO Magneto appearance in any of those issues.

I'll grant them, in other issues Doom de-magnetized his armor and reversed the polarity in it. But that didn't make Magneto powerless. There were no extended battles between them. Magneto has overcome reversed polarity and de-magnetized armor lots of times.

Arachnoidfreak
hahahaha...proof that Wizard doesn't know what they're talking about. UXM #145-147 is the issue where Doombot got owned by Storm. Where was his mutant power neutralizer then, huh? There was NO neutralizer and NO Magneto appearance in any of those issues.

I'll grant them, in other issues Doom de-magnetized his armor and reversed the polarity in it. But that didn't make Magneto powerless. There were no extended battles between them. Magneto has overcome reversed polarity and de-magnetized armor lots of times.

How many volumes of Uncanny are there again...?

and i hardly think Wizard doesn't know what they are talking about, their entire job depends on resourcing and reveiwing comic books.

demigawd
There was X-men vol 1(which became Uncanny X-men, but kept the numbering convention)

There was X-men vol 2, which is what came out in the 90s.

Wizard can only be referring to the story with the Doombot. And they're quite clearly wrong about what that story contained.

Arachnoidfreak
those were the issues where Doom had every Xman on that team trapped in his castle, GIVING them a way out, as tests. "ways to neutralize mutant powers" not a "nuetralizer" devicetype thing. lol, read first man. Doom captured and detained nearly every Xmen in that comic storyline. It showed that Doom is just about ready for any attack, on any day of the week.

Sorry, the *faulty* DoomBOT did all this. roll eyes (sarcastic)

demigawd
I read it - yeah, he put them in an obstacle course where using their mutant powers made matters worse for them (eg. Nightcrawler in a room where he didn't know what was on the other side), but that's hardly *neutralizing* their powers. And again...this is Doom with prep, and I've already said that with prep, there's all kinds of great things he can do. Doesn't mean Magneto wouldn't own him, and Wizard's "evidence" doesn't prove otherwise.

Alpha Centauri
I think the very fact that Doom can completely remove Magneto's "master of magnetism" moniker pretty much says that he can't be owned by Magneto.

-AC

kgkg
Doom needs time , or something the current magneto is gonna own him.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah but we all know about the current Magneto.

One day decided "Actually, I'm a bit luke warm on not using my powers all this time due to some guilt. Oh look, I can manipulate reality and create stars."

Backed by some writer who's name I forget.

-AC

kgkg
Yeah but we all know about the current Magneto.

One day decided "Actually, I'm a bit luke warm on not using my powers all this time due to some guilt. Oh look, I can manipulate reality and create stars."

Backed by some writer who's name I forget.

-AC

lol reality manipulation seems to be the new thing for marvel.

but they made magneto God-like now

how are they gonna find opponents.

the only one strong enough now are
sentry , God-Cable on earth that can take him.

demigawd
Name's Claremont.

Current Magneto nukes Doom. big grin

demigawd
Originally posted by kgkg
lol reality manipulation seems to be the new thing for marvel.

but they made magneto God-like now

how are they gonna find opponents.

the only one strong enough now are
sentry , God-Cable on earth that can take him.

Funny you should say that. in the upcoming House of M storyline, Magneto goes up against the likes of Strange and Sentry, along with the New Avengers, some old Avengers, X-men, Cloak and Dagger, and others.

Sounds like a fair matchup.

kgkg
what is magneto's current purpose?

demigawd
Well, at first it was to lounge around Genosha and read bedtime stories to former Sentinels. But then when he got the word that House of M was starting, I guess is purpose is to retrieve and guard Wanda while practicing manipulating reality until the Avengers arrive to take her back.

Alpha Centauri
Of course you think current Magneto nukes Doom, Demi.

If someone gave Surfer a bullshit upgrade out of nowhere, I can't say I'd feel good about it.

Yes, it was out of nowhere. Implying that he could always control reality, create stars and be a telepath but he didn't because of "guilt" is possibly the worst Claremont-ism ever.

Then again I'd expect it from a man who had Wolverine gut Surfer and Gambit beat Gladiator.

-AC

kgkg
Of course you think current Magneto nukes Doom, Demi.

If someone gave Surfer a bullshit upgrade out of nowhere, I can't say I'd feel good about it.

Yes, it was out of nowhere. Implying that he could always control reality, create stars and be a telepath but he didn't because of "guilt" is possibly the worst Claremont-ism ever.

Then again I'd expect it from a man who had Wolverine gut Surfer and Gambit beat Gladiator.

-AC

damn Claremont! what no matter what Magneto becomes he will never beat Silver Surfer.

demigawd
He didn't have Wolverine gut Surfer. That was in a What If that Claremont had nothing to do with.

And given how many upgrades Thanos gets, I think other characters are entitled to at least one...

demigawd
And furthermore - it wasn't actually Claremont's idea to power up Magneto. Bendis had the idea because by the time the House of M storyline came around, Sentry would have already been on the team, so he wanted a more formidable opponent for Sentry. So it was his idea, not Claremont's.

kgkg
Sentry yet another char who doesn't belong at earth.

his powers can be limitless. what type of shit is that at least hulk has to work for it , and not only that he can fly , and other shit too.

K Von Doom
Well, because Doom is better at tech than Magneto, it stands to reason that if Magneto has technology that prevents mutants from using their powers (X-Men vol 2 #1), Dr Doom would have the same, if not better, technology. However, Magneto has that technology on Asteriod M, his base, he doesn't carry it around. So I'm assuming Doom would have that technology built into Castle Doom, not in his armor so in order for him to use it against Magneto, he'd have to lure the Master of Magnetism into his castle. On a neutral battlefield, Dr Doom would have to find another means to fight Erik.

Alpha Centauri
Bendis dropped it though, for good reason.

Anyway, is a moot point. Claremont carried it out and it's yet another desperation maneuver from the X-Men and co office.

-AC

Asian Hulk
BATMAN VILLAINS
Joker
Penguin
Catwoman
Riddler
Mr.Freeze
Two Face
Poison Ivy
Bane
Scarecrow(DC)
Ra's Al Ghul

SPIDERMAN VILLAINS
Green Goblin
Dr.Octopus
Venom
Carnage
Lizard
Kraven
Sandman
Man Wolf

SUPERMAN VILLAINS
Lex Luthor
Mr.Mxyzpltk
General Zod
Toyman
Bizzarro
Mercy Graves
Cyborg
Solomon Grundy
Solaris
Livewire
Parasite

HULK VILLAINS
Maj.Glenn Talbot
Abomination
Leader
Bi-Beast
Rhino
Ringmaster
Zzzax
U-Foes
General John Rykers
Colonel John Armbruster
Wendigo
Absorbing Man
Rhino
Scarecrow(Marvel)

MatchesMalone
Here Matches:

"Bad Company: Wizard ranks the 10 most dangerous villains in comics

If you mess with them, you're dead. And we don't mean maimed or injured or roughed up a little bit. When you tangle with these trouble makers, you die, plain and simple. No compassion, no remorse, no problem.

And that's what we're looking at here. The baddest of the bad, the vilest of the vile...the 10 most dangerous villains in all of comics.

Our criteria are simple. Just unadulterated villains. No anti-heros like Punisher or Lobo. No cosmic forces or gods of a higher order like Mephisto, Galactus, or Darkseid.(Arachnoidfreak note: Thanos isn't considered cosmic, he's a Titan)

Oh, and one other thing, These are do-or-die, no-holds-barred melees, each baddie dishing out everything they got to survive.

And if you thought seeing these guys fighting heroes was rough, wait'll you see what they do to each other. So let's not waste anymore time and see who made our wanted list..." - Wizard Magazine.

and then they are listed, one by one, starting with Bullseye, each with a description of the character, why he is in the position he is, and how he would fare against the other list members, one at a time.

Thanks for your time, Arachnoidfreak.

I was hoping their intro would clear some things up for me. But, It did not. I am still completely lost on why Sabretooth and Bullseye made the list.

Asian Hulk
BATMAN VILLAINS
Joker
Penguin
Catwoman
Riddler
Mr.Freeze
Two Face
Poison Ivy
Bane
Scarecrow(DC)
Ra's Al Ghul

SPIDERMAN VILLAINS
Green Goblin
Dr.Octopus
Venom
Carnage
Lizard
Kraven
Sandman
Man Wolf
Mysterio
Scorpion

SUPERMAN VILLAINS
Lex Luthor
Mr.Mxyzpltk
General Zod
Toyman
Bizzarro
Mercy Graves
Cyborg
Solomon Grundy
Solaris
Livewire

HULK VILLAINS
Maj.Glenn Talbot
Abomination
Leader
Bi-Beast
Rhino
Ringmaster
Zzzax
U-Foes
Absorbing Man
Scarecrow(Marvel)

the Darkone
1. Thanos (marvel the end)
2. Dr. Doom
3. Magneto
4. Lex lurthor
5. deathstoke
6. ra's ghaul
7. sabertooth
8. doomsday
9. joker
10. venom

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.