Mirroring in Episode 3

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mortanius
I've noticed a few similarities, I'm sure you guys have seen others as well.

Based on the pics released the flight formations of the star fighters in the ROTS are similar to the ones from A New Hope and Return of the Jedi.

The last duel with Dooku has similarities with the duel in Return of the Jedi. Palpatine observes as Anakin fights Dooku and instigates his execution; much like in ROTJ when he observes Darth Vader fight Luke and tries to instigate Vader's death.

Palpatine revealing his true identity with Anakin has similar elements to the scene in Return of the Jedi when Luke makes his plea to Darth Vader to escape with him on Endor. However, in ROTS, Palpatine argues with Anakin that there is an alternative to being a Jedi. Anakin even draws his lightsaber in defiance and Palpatine doesn't even flinch and continues his argument; much like Luke did when Vader was inspecting his lighsaber.

It would be ironic if the vessel used to save the critically injured Anakin was the Millennium Falcon- the same vessel that saved Luke in ESB. Although I think that this situation has already be shot down.

Jedi Priestess
I think the scene in the elevator shaft is alot like the scene in the trash compactor myself, even the music is the same.

JKozzy
The music isn't final, though. All of the music in the TP clips were strictly for that release, from what I can tell. Seeing Palps hanging down there reminded me of the Death Star in ROTJ, too.

macgeek2005
The elevator shaft is ****ing hilarious. When Obi-Wan wakes up he's staring at anakins butt, and he looks "up" to see Palpatine upside down, doing a kind of hand stand off of anakin's leg. and he's like "Have I missed something?, Oh hello Chancellor, are you well?" LOL

Jedi Priestess
I thought the look on Palpatines face was hysterical. hysterical

LanİeWindu™
Spoiler tags people...spoiler tags.

Batman316
nnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooo

I've been ruined by thoughtless posts excluding spoiler tags!!!!!

lol

Mortanius
Ok, thought of another one, the scene on the 'Tragedy' tv spot where Anakin screams "NO!" as he strikes with his saber is similar to the part in ROTJ when Luke reacts to Vader threatening to turn Leah to the darkside.

DarkYoda
And of course when Anakin cuts off Dooku's hand it mirrors Luke cutting off Vader's - both are revenge for the loss of a hand to a sith lord

Also when Anakin puts the mask on at the end of ROTS it mirrors Vader taking the mask off in ROTJ.

Just a couple of obvious mirrors...

I actually find this topic very interesting as there are MANY similiarites and similiar plot points in these movies.

Mist
do you think these are coincidence or intentional?

Mortanius
Originally posted by DarkYoda
And of course when Anakin cuts off Dooku's hand it mirrors Luke cutting off Vader's - both are revenge for the loss of a hand to a sith lord

Also when Anakin puts the mask on at the end of ROTS it mirrors Vader taking the mask off in ROTJ.

Just a couple of obvious mirrors...

I actually find this topic very interesting as there are MANY similiarites and similiar plot points in these movies.

Cool observation, Dark Yoda. And I think that these similarites are very intentional. They remind us of the OT and tie both of the trilogies. The old formula still works!

bilb
Not a mirror per se.. but it just hit me today... in ANH when Vader says' A presence I havet felt since.......' and we KNOW that the last time he saw Obi was on that bank on Mustafar.. Kinda creepy to think about

wallalupp
Originally posted by Mist
do you think these are coincidence or intentional?

they're intentional

if you look on the extras on the dvd's GL says many times that he's making a story that "rhymes" and with recurring themes like in music.
and also to show that anakin and luke went through the same thing, only that anakin made the wrong choice and luke made the right

Batman316
Originally posted by bilb
Not a mirror per se.. but it just hit me today... in ANH when Vader says' A presence I havet felt since.......' and we KNOW that the last time he saw Obi was on that bank on Mustafar.. Kinda creepy to think about

sorta gives that scene whole new depth....

A presence I've not felt since...... I had all limbs

jediwilldaddy
not so much a mirror but my it may turn out useful as obi wan witnessed anakins fall first hand or at least he had a goo 20 years or so to think about it afterwards before luke stubled into his life. i like the fact that obi wan knew that the only way to save luke from falling like vader did was to sacrifice himself to vader so that luke would always see him as a killer even though he was his father as he later found out.

bilb
Mmmm, not so sure about that. I think he let himself be killed because he knew he would able to help Luke more by being 'one with the force' than just an old dude draging Luke around the galaxy...

Batman316
But did Vader really kill Obi?

Kicks himself for reading certain scenes from the script

Mist
Originally posted by Batman316
But did Vader really kill Obi?

Kicks himself for reading certain scenes from the script

ummm.....i consider a lightsaber through the neck getting killed, yes.

ickeris2003
What does OT stand for? I know its a dumb question but I see it everywhere in these threads. Im having a brain fart , help please!!!

bilb
OT = Original Trilogy (ANH, ESB & ROTJ)
PT = Prequel Trilogy (TPM, AOTC, & ROTS)

smoker4
PMT = Dont ask

Mortanius
I'm not entirely sure, but based on the trailer when Bail Organa screams "No!" I have heard that it is because he is witnessing a young Jedi getting cut down. If it is true then it has similarities to when Luke witnessed Obi Wan getting killed by Vader.

ickeris2003
ok!!! thanks BILB!!!

Mortanius
This scene reminds me of when Darth Vader suprises Luke in the corridor on Cloud City which leads to the familiar catwalk. If anyone has a GIF of that ESB sequence for comparison it sure would be nice.

http://tinypic.com/2lbdys

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.