Yoda & Pope John Paul II

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bobafett81
With respect to Pope John Paul II, I feel that Master Yoda has also reached the same status as the Pope in the Star Wars Universe.

Everyone in the Star Wars Universe respected Yoda as much as they respected the Pope here in real life.

I always feel George Lucas created Yoda with references to the Pope. Like his wisom, his age and even his humour....

Grand Moff Gav
well that just got a little bit more rare

acedanger
Ya.. and GL modeled Palpatine after Michael Jackson or so I've heard...

acedanger
This just in!! their talking about revenge of the sith on the ###.christianfish.net boards!!

peluffo
bad timing dude... This thread is offtopic IMHO smile

DenKi
hahhah what an idoit

darthmaul1
bobafett81 you are a loser for bringing this up

Eleonora
Originally posted by bobafett81
With respect to Pope John Paul II, I feel that Master Yoda has also reached the same status as the Pope in the Star Wars Universe.

Everyone in the Star Wars Universe respected Yoda as much as they respected the Pope here in real life.

I always feel George Lucas created Yoda with references to the Pope. Like his wisom, his age and even his humour....

I respect your opinion but be careful 'cause you might run into haters (as demonstrated above) or really touchy traditionalists.
I'm a believer and personally I find your opinion interesting, you never know.......

bill9d9
Not too sure about this one, and the timing of the analogy is pretty poor.

TheForceSupreme
Although we all know this is way wacky, it is funny. LOLZ

NoMeN
OMG! the pope again!..... im tired of all this

PVS
What the f**k?

acedanger
Maybe the pope will come back as a spirit, like Yoda did in ROTJ

DenKi
roflmao

peluffo
This was far from good taste.

WindDancer
Mixing a fictional character with a non-fictional personl it is rather stupid... IMO.

DenKi
Will there be a John Paul 3, or is it a different name? lol

amity75
One of my mates reckons the pope is more like Palpatine but I told him he was talking rubbish because Palpatine is the leader of an outdated, backward, greedy empire which has persecuted people through lies and bullying and has been responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people through the years.

smoker4
lol

Stunrun
Originally posted by Eleonora
I respect your opinion but be careful 'cause you might run into haters (as demonstrated above) or really touchy traditionalists.
I'm a believer and personally I find your opinion interesting, you never know.......

i find it interesting too. Who knows what inspiration GL had, it wouldnt be such a daft idea

bill9d9
bobafett81, Stunrun, et al:

Karol Wojtyla became Pope John Paul II on October 16, 1978. Yoda was introduced in ESB when it was released in 1980. John Paul the II had not been pope for even 2 years when ESB was released. I seriously doubt Lucas even knew who Karol Wojtyla was when ESB (and Yoda) was being invented/written.

ArthasKnight
Come on guys, back off already. He was just making an innocent connection, there's no reason to call him an idiot and jump all over him. I actually find it intriguing.

phelander
Oh look, the peacemaker.

HA.

HA HA HA HA ....whatever.

The pope and yoda are the same because soon they'll both be REAL GREEN.

Stunrun
Originally posted by bill9d9
bobafett81, Stunrun, et al:

Karol Wojtyla became Pope John Paul II on October 16, 1978. Yoda was introduced in ESB when it was released in 1980. John Paul the II had not been pope for even 2 years when ESB was released. I seriously doubt Lucas even knew who Karol Wojtyla was when ESB (and Yoda) was being invented/written.

....and Popes have been around for hundreds if not thousands of years. I wasnt directly comparing him to the latest Poperoll eyes (sarcastic)

peluffo
Not exactly... But this is not the place to discuss it.

EDIT/ do'h... you changed it.

maddani
my bad big grin

bill9d9
Originally posted by Stunrun
i find it interesting too. Who knows what inspiration GL had, it wouldnt be such a daft idea

The original analogy of this thread was of Yoda and John Paul the II, not Pope's in general or over the course of history. I put you in my post because of the quote above. cool

darthmaul1
SHUT THIS STUPID THREAD
The only thing Yoda is based on is Albert Einstien for his eyes other than that Yoda is supposed to be a wise wizard and that's it, it's topics like this that give STAR WARS fans bad names.

ArthasKnight
It's not a stupid thread. Just because you disagree doesn't make it stupid.

PVS
now who would win in a battle....thats what i would like to know.
the force was strong with the pope, but yoda has been a jedi for over 800 years...so its anyone's guess stick out tongue

bill9d9
Originally posted by darthmaul1
SHUT THIS STUPID THREAD
The only thing Yoda is based on is Albert Einstien for his eyes other than that Yoda is supposed to be a wise wizard and that's it, it's topics like this that give STAR WARS fans bad names.

I agree 100%. I responded to this thread for 2 reasons:

1. I found it to be in poor taste.
2. The logic was flawed and I have shown why.

ArthasKnight
Originally posted by PVS
now who would win in a battle....thats what i would like to know.
the force was strong with the pope, but yoda has been a jedi for over 800 years...so its anyone's guess stick out tongue

*rolls eyes* As a catholic, I take offense to that. Saying the Pope would fight anyone isn't something I like to hear.

PVS
there really is no connection worth making.since the pope was well loved and respected, and mourned by many, i think it would be a good idea to close this thread. im sure the one who started it was just being silly and meant no ill will, but still i think this thread will just go nowhere at BEST.

PVS
Originally posted by ArthasKnight
*rolls eyes* As a catholic, I take offense to that. Saying the Pope would fight anyone isn't something I like to hear.

its just a joke dude, chill out.
JP2 had quite a healthy sense of humor, you should too.
btw i am catholic as well wink

ArthasKnight
People take offense to different things and I'd love it if you'd respect that. Trust me, I'm much more capable of taking a joke than phelander was. I'm not angry, I just think the comment was in poor taste.

PVS
*sigh* whatever dude roll eyes (sarcastic)

*hangs head in shame*

happy? erm

peluffo
You're makin fun of JP2, and two posts after, you are telling the thread has to be closed... confused You need help. Quickly.

ArthasKnight
Whatever. I'm not looking for sarcasm, I was going for an apology. I don't want to start an argument either so if you wanna say anything further then PM me. Sheesh, looks like I'll be staying away from the EpIII boards for a while again. Maybe when the place lightens up a little I'll come back.

PVS

ArthasKnight
Thank you. Now, was that so incredibly difficult?

PVS
now i take that apology back for your patronising, and will appologise to anyone else i have offended besides you

ArthasKnight
This is what I mean. Why can't anyone just apologize and mean it? Why does everything have to be so difficult? I was offended and wanted an apology, what's so hard to understand about that? And I think after you taunted me that I was entitled to a little wit, don't you? If we could all just stop shooting down every idea that we disagree with (and I admit that I am guilty of this, but not nearly as much as some other members) then maybe we wouldn't have these kinds of problems. This is supposed to be a good-natured place, is it not? I don't see why everyone has to run around insulting each other.

PVS
i did apologise, and i meant it.
you could have just accepted it, but had to throw in
a condesending left handed jab. im not your child. you dont meet
an apology from another grownass human being and follow it up with
"now that wasnt so hard was it?" your looking for a dispute, not an apology.

ArthasKnight
Then it was my mistake. It didn't seem like you were sincere when you typed it in ALL CAPS. I admit I was wrong to have said that, though I was still a little bitter about the original comment and that's why I said it in the first place. I'm willing to let it go if you are. I'm not looking for enemies.

PVS
k cool smile

*hands arthas his apology back*

ArthasKnight
Yay! And it's cherry flavored!! big grin

WindDancer
After re-reading certain aspects of this thread. It has been decided that the topic isn't revelant to Episode III. Therefore this will be moved to the EU forum where there is less post traffic.

Moving to EU Forum....

Red Superfly
Yoda wasn't based off of The Pope.

Yoda is based off of Grover from Sesame Street.

jediwilldaddy
i think the next pope should call himself yoda the first

atila the great
ok, i'm a catholic and besides of him being the high head of the church he was a great man, did a lot of good things. but listen i cant be offended every single time someone makes a joke about him, like this, comparing him to a character of a great movie. i do think your timing was bad man but hey i'm sure you mean no offense, do you?

mephistodesigns
Originally posted by amity75
One of my mates reckons the pope is more like Palpatine but I told him he was talking rubbish because Palpatine is the leader of an outdated, backward, greedy empire which has persecuted people through lies and bullying and has been responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people through the years.

rolling on floor laughing laughing laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing

Oh god.....it's funny cuz its true!

mephistodesigns

how about several popes of the past haven't fought, but have CERTAINLY ordered others to. Like oh, the Spanish inquitsition where more gypsies, jews, muslims, (basically all non-catholics that looked at 'em funny) died than in the holocaust. OR maybe on friday the 13th when a Pope ordered the murder of the Knights Templar, which, I might add seems very similar to Palpatine ordering the deaths of the Jedi Knights for daring to have different views, like the Knights Templar and the Pope. Now THAT's a comparison worth studying up on! So I agree, Pope's and killing in the same topic isn't funny, its scary and true!

mephistodesigns
This is what I mean. Why can't anyone just apologize and mean it? Why does everything have to be so difficult? I was offended and wanted an apology, what's so hard to understand about that? And I think after you taunted me that I was entitled to a little wit, don't you? If we could all just stop shooting down every idea that we disagree with (and I admit that I am guilty of this, but not nearly as much as some other members) then maybe we wouldn't have these kinds of problems. This is supposed to be a good-natured place, is it not? I don't see why everyone has to run around insulting each other.

whine...whimper...sniff....laughing

Leave PVS alone, nobodies more capable of being light hearted than he is. Right now the only serious person with a stick up there butt round here be you!

mephistodesigns
aw crap, a few posts later they made up....that's no fun....and makes my last post irrelevant and stupid! I hate it when that happens! laughing

cylob69
Well if you beleive what happens in the bible you may as well beleive in the force......and for that matter Mickey Mouse.
Religion is a load of toss
Its all LIES

Fishy
Okay the religion is all lies thing is just bullshit, you can't know that. You don't know if god excists or not and lets not even start talking about that, it has nothing to do with SW and will just get people pissed off...

Anyways about Yoda being like the pope, i don't think its a bad analogy at all, and for that matter i don't think Palpatine is a bad analogy either. Lucas looked at a lot of things from history and myths and based his characters on them, with the importance that popes had threwout the centuary's its nothing but normal that some characters would have a lot of things that made them look like a pope of the past.

Whether he based them on them or not is a different story al together, a lot of people did what popes did, good and bad. I woudln't know if he based them on them or based anything on the Catholic chuch. He probably did though you can't escape the infleunce of those things in history

Sesse
I think Vader is the best analogy.

He used to be Anakin Skywalker but later became Darth Vader. In the end, he regained his former self and perished.

Lucas sure did take a lot of myths into his movies.

Fishy
Most do, look at any good book or movie myths are all over them, of course they have to be... Those are story's we grew up with things we heard our entire lives, things that often shaped our live. They are glorified and legendaric. We remember things like that even if its only minimaly. For a writer its much easier to tell a story when somewhere you already know what happened whats going to happen, when the entire story has been told a thousand times in different ways. But you just don't remember it

Curious though, who do you think Vader resembles? And why him better then anybody else in the SW universe?

Sesse
Vader could be many people at once.

Anyone who has been blinded and corrupted by power could do. While most of the other characters in the movies are either light or dark, Vader is the only truly conflicted one among them. Of course there is Dooku too, but i don't think his character is as interesting as Vader's.

Yoda is as light as it gets and Sidious is the ultimate darksider.
Anakin seems just to be a pawn in the game of light and dark.

And of course, Anakin is the chosen one.

But... We will know more once we have seen Ep3 =).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.