Last Minute Episode III Cuts

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

gambit420
I caught this on darkhorse's website:

Post by Randy Stradley, VP for Publishing

"With any comics adaptation, lots of "stuff" (character bits, miscellaneous action, sometimes even sub-plots) have to be cut inorder to fit the story into the space (and time) available.
One interesting thing about RotS: Miles Lane went through and culled out the part (action, dialogue, plot) that he thought we had room for. I then went through his scripts and made further cuts (mainly in the interest of allowing some of the action room to "breathe"wink. In a couple of places we made further cuts when we would find out that a certain scene had been cut from the film, or that scenes had been moved from one point in the film to another.

As we were coming down to print time, Lucasfilm let me see a copy of the the screenplay with all of the scenes, bits of action, and lines of dialogue that George had cut from the film highlighted in red. It turns out that about seventy percent of the dialogue that we picked as "important" and included in the adaptation, is stuff that George cut. Ditto for some of the other scenes. More than any other adaptation we've done, the RotS adaptation features material that you will (to the best of my knowledge) not see in the film. It's all materail that George wrote for the screenplay, but it won't all make it to the big screen. And, before anybody starts asking if that material is going to show up in some DVD "special edition," let me just say that I have no idea. I have not heard, and I will not speculate. Anyway, it seems like a good argument to me for going out and buying the comics adaptation. There are scenes in it that you'll never see onscreen!"

I thought the novel and graphic novel were nothing short of brilliant. 70% material cut can't be a good thing, I hope we dont end up with a hacked up mess like the Episode II duels (minus yoda).

NoMeN
oh nos! sad

goth
huh??????????

macgeek2005
70% material cut? does that mean that if this Novel were made into a movie, without any changes it would be like 10 hours long?

gambit420
Who knows, hopefully it means more Jar Jar scenes!!

J/K!!!!!! stick out tongue

LandoSpeeder2
That doesn't sound good.

The Ones
E-GAD!

Darth Jello
i can see how that is true with the novelization, considering that the opening space battle was the first 11 chapters

LandoSpeeder2
No it wasn't.

gambit420
Originally posted by Darth Jello
i can see how that is true with the novelization, considering that the opening space battle was the first 11 chapters
I hope so. But it seems as if he's mostly talking about the Graphic Novel (Comic Book).

ctsketch
Originally posted by macgeek2005
70% material cut? does that mean that if this Novel were made into a movie, without any changes it would be like 10 hours long?

no, 70% of the the dialogue which they thought was important in comparison to the cuts George made, that means 70% of what George cut they thought should have stayed

Stefan Kojic
Nice art, gambit420

Obi-OneManShow
I have a bad feeling about this... I sense something, a mess-up I've not felt since... AOTCfear

I'm sure ROTS will be great, I just have the feeling that after Lucas finishes a great movie and deems it too long, he cuts the dialogue and character development in favor of the action. So we get eye-candy in the end. It's like he finished a great emotional 3 hour film, and cuts it to a "best of ROTS" 2h30.
I'll like the film, but I'll probably get a rushed feeling. I hope he'll release an extended (and when I say extended I mean EXTENDED) DVD.

LandoSpeeder2
These are the kind of things that make me wish I went spoiler free.

Padmé Skywalker
70% cut? That's insane.

Alliance
<throws up>

not to be dramatic, but why not just give us a longer movie? Why cut so much. It makes no sense. yeah sure eye candy is nice, but its the story that we all love.

SAVE THE STORY!

LandoSpeeder2
I'm sick of Lucas, I'm almost at the point that I can't stand him.

whitewookie
either way we get the novel adaption with 70% of cut stuff intact! Delicious literary goodness *drools*! It could work either way, we could end up with such a load of extra bullcrap we drown in the sheer "beta-version-ness" of it all! That, or end up with lots of sparkly eye candy to tantalise and delight us! But if palps pulls back his hood and i hear "mesa jar jar binks, mesa gone bom bad" or something along those line, i think i have justifiable reasons for assinating lucas!

ESP07
Oh come on. It's not like we all didnt know deep down that this movie was going to end up just like the other prequils. It was all just wishfull thinking. Classic case of...you can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which gets filled first.

Obi-OneManShow
Originally posted by LandoSpeeder2
I'm sick of Lucas, I'm almost at the point that I can't stand him.
You've taken your first step into a larger world, old friend...

unno
I think people are misunderstanding this. The Dark Horse guy is not saying is that 70% of the film's dialog has been cut. He's saying that, out of the dialog that Dark Horse thought was important, 70% has been cut. This doesn't bother me at all. George has always been a primarily visual storyteller. Just because he cut some dialog doesn't mean that he cut out character development and emotion. Personally, I find that the most emotional scenes in most films are those with sparse dialog. I mean, how often do real people go into big monologues about their feelings and stuff. I've always thought that most comics have way too much dialog / narration and don't rely on their visuals enough, and I think that Lucas knows better than the folks at Dark Horse.

Unno

ESP07
Besides, if all 3 ot the PT films suck the title of A New Hope for Epi IV will make sense on several levels. laughing

whitewookie
LOL!! you said it bro wink

Superfly4000
GL's journey to the dark side is now complete...

whitewookie
for once he starts down the dark path, forever will it dominate his destiny, CONSUME HIM IT WILL, as it did all the other corperate companies!

Stunrun
would you guys just quit criticizing Lucas! we havent even seen the movie yet, so none of us can say sh!t at the moment. Damn good job someone around here still loves every minute of the PT so far

Darth_Vader05
Oh my god people i said it before and ill say it again just wait until May 19th, 2005 then we will know what was cut and was wasnt cut from the movie although i have already ready the whole movie from start to finish thanks to milleniuemfalcon.com so i already no what is going to be in the movie....

whitewookie
i envy you stunrun i really do

unno
Thank you, Stunrun. I don't get why everyone's in an uproar over what the VP for Publishing for the comic adaptation said. These aren't even necessarily "last minute cuts" (why was this thread given that title?), they're just bits cut out of a movie. That's what you do when you make a movie. You cut out certain bits and leave others. I think one of the most successful directors in history probably has a better idea of what needs to be cut out of his own screenplay than a few people who are doing the comic book adaptation of it.

Unno

vader476
and whatevers cut out will most likely be on the dvd

Padmé Skywalker
That's true, I hope so.

EHmasterJedi
Well i guess im one of the few that thinks this sounds good E2 had to much dialogue not enough Action/adventure, now if he cuts the good dialogue thats one thing, but i have no interest spending the hole movie in a room watching to people talk. Dialogue that should be left in is probably things like little remarks in battle or short conversations in a public setting just things to help the story along, Lucas probably shouldnt take much out of the Palpi-Ani conversations ethier. The best Character interaction you can get in SWs id during action sequices, the rest just comes together, This is seen best in ANH, its not very entertaining just having them talk in a room.

Killua
Well i'm sure George intends to tell his story , so whatever he cuts must be expendable , he'll tell the story in his way , it's his film , and to be honest i believe truly that he will cut the things that are needed to keep the flow of the film speedily and the story at it's max .

....Have faith !!! big grin

Stunrun
George is an editor, its what he does best

LandoSpeeder2
Well, I guess your right, probably should have thought about it before slamming GL, I guess I just don't want to dislike this movie. I don't know why I think I might since I love episode I (though can get boring) and II.

Mist
if you look at all the ep2 cut scenes, none were really worth keeping....even though thy mighta added a bit more development, we really didnt need them.

so hopefully hes doing pretty much same thing....cut out just crap....

(do we really need more anakin/padme love scene time? i think weve got the point they like each other wink )

sith_darth_jay
I actually would have love it if the padme's parents scene hadn't been cut, that scene adds a lil' more to their relationship and introduces their parents, instead of seeing them in the funeral (epIII) and going "who the hell are those guys?"

Eleonora
Originally posted by Obi-OneManShow
I'm sure ROTS will be great, I just have the feeling that after Lucas finishes a great movie and deems it too long, he cuts the dialogue and character development in favor of the action. So we get eye-candy in the end. It's like he finished a great emotional 3 hour film, and cuts it to a "best of ROTS" 2h30.
I'll like the film, but I'll probably get a rushed feeling. I hope he'll release an extended (and when I say extended I mean EXTENDED) DVD.

I couldn't agree more with you smile
I think that in favour of the action he cuts scenes that are much more important the "character development" way. Personally I didn't give a damn about all that shooting in epII after the arena scene (which was brilliant) before the final duel (also brilliant), I was just waiting for it to end. Action is good of course but it can be veeeery boring if it is only perceived in itself. I also completely agree with you Jay about Padme's parents, the thought had occurred to me.

Alliance
i agree, i cant believe he cut the parents scene. When i watched the deleted scenes i screamed "What?" I want a way to watch the DVD with the scene back in! It was way too beneficial to the story.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
I think its time to say that people have to realise that they are going to be seeing the final movie from GEORGE'S saga. Some of you are not going to be happy with everything. Some of you have built this movie up in your minds so much that NO ONE could make it in a manner that would make you happy. There are going to be people that come out of that theater complaining about dialog, costuming, continuity etc ad nauseum. Please don't allow yourselves to over hype this movie to the point there is no way you are going to enjoy it. Every single movie made has flaws. EVERY ONE OF THEM.

I think if Star Wars fans go to ROTS just for the "fun" of it, they'll be rewarded. I think if people go to ROTS expecting the Holy Grail they are going to be disappointed. It's the last time any of us get to experience this whole Star Wars movie opening thing, relax, savor it, don't ruin it for yourselves ruminating over silly little details.

Of course there are also those of us that will love it no matter whats on the screen. eyes
JarJar turning out to be Vader excluded of course! laughing out loud

SithSpy
I agree 100% JP, especially with the fact that i'll love it no matter whats on the screen, and the deleted scenes are like a stocking at christmas, just when you think its allllll over WHOA, theres more u get the dvd and you get more scenes, that are really only for us die hard fans b/c the rest of the world is more interested in eye candy, and a fast moving movie

Red Superfly
It would be cool if on DVDs there was a way to watch the movie with the deleted scenes editted back into the main body of the movie. That would be refreshing.

Crazy88No.1
god damn you George Lucas! 70% cut?! Shit

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Yet, we can only speculate on this subject!
Although even I have a bad feeling about this, just as a few guys.
We have to see the movie yet, but I feel like the good shit is really being cut from the movie, just to keep the pace of the movie going.
Common, all the big plotpoints are being cut from the movie>the first signs of the rebellion, Yoda landing on Dagobah etc.
I feel like things from the trailers won't even show up in the movie in the end.
We all know Anakin is gonna fight Obi-Wan in the end, but that's not most important thing why I'm gonna see this movie.
GL better had named this movie "SW-fight and fast scenes with no dialogue!".
Well aigh...till 19-05-05 it's all guesing(with pain in my stomach).

I hope we're all being deceived with false information just to keep the waiting more anticipating than ever...
Hope it's gonna be massive in the end!!!!!

Peace...

J.M FcThumbs-Up
Butttttttt> the worse I feel about things, the better it turns out!!!
I love SW no matter what...so **** up or not>it's SW and besides, nothing has toppled the OT so far!

SithSpy
another thing lucas could be thinking since the TV series was thought up halfway through production is that he is gonna need some stuff for that if it takes place between 3 and 4, also red there are alot of DVD's that WILL play the movie with the deleted scenes intercut back into the movie, I dont know WHY Lucas doesent use this on his DVD's

LandoSpeeder2
Originally posted by Alliance
i agree, i cant believe he cut the parents scene. When i watched the deleted scenes i screamed "What?" I want a way to watch the DVD with the scene back in! It was way too beneficial to the story. I know, and what's two minutes gonna do to your movie huh GL? sheesh.

unno
The Padme scene was so cheesy and awkward that I was amazed it was ever even filmed. Thank God it got left on the cutting room floor.

Unno

Darth Blender

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.