Soul Calibur III

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
Discuss.

Namco unveiled details on Soul Calibur III today and confirmed the game's release this year in the US. The title is the third entry in the Soul Calibur series, Namco's impressive weapon-based fighting franchise that began on the original PlayStation. According to currently available information, it appears that, unlike its predecessor Soul Calibur II, the game will be exclusive to the PlayStation 2 when it ships sometime this year.

While Namco didn't reveal a great deal of information, there were still some nice tidbits on what to expect. The game's story will apparently revolve around a mysterious individual who revives Nightmare, everyone's favorite demonic armor-clad warrior. This is clearly a perfect excuse for some one-on-one combat. The game's roster will feature three new fighters, bringing the tally of playable characters to more than 25. Setsuka is a busty umbrella-wielding fighter who is sporting some platform flip-flops and a sword housed in her parasol. While her last name hasn't been revealed, we half expect her to be a cousin of Mai Shiranui of Fatal Fury fame. The second character is a green-clad female named Kira, who's wielding either the world's biggest chakram or the world's most badass hula hoop. Finally, the last and most striking of the characters is an African fighter named Zasalamel, who sports a distinctly Egyptian flavor and is rocking a wicked-looking scythe with a bird motif.

Namco has touched on several new modes that are in line with the game types we've seen in previous entries in the series, although some of these modes sport new names. The tale of souls mode sounds like the traditional single-player experience we've played in previous games, and it will have you playing through the game with each character in order to view their unique ending sequences. The versus standard mode will let you face off against a friend. Chronicles of the sword is an intriguing new mode that ties in with another new addition to the Soul Calibur experience, character creation. This original feature will let you create your own character by choosing its sex, occupation, weapon, and some physical characteristics. Once you've made your virtual self, you can take the character into the chronicles of the sword mode, which is billed as a real-time simulation that lets you watch your character engage in battles. Although the info provided on the mode is a bit sketchy, we expect that it may be similar to the artificial intelligence mode seen in Virtua Fighter 4.

Mention of a world competition mode hints at a competition wherein you'll have to climb through the ranks of fighters, which sounds like some form of ranked tournament-style ladder. Practice mode appears to be the obligatory mode that lets you practice your moves on a hapless AI opponent whose behavior you can customize. Soul arena mode surely promises unique battles of some kind. Finally, a museum mode will let you view the franchise history as well as all the content you've unlocked in your butt-kicking travels. The last bit of information revealed mentions familiar stage locations that include a castle in Germany, a shrine in Greece, and the top of a clock tower.

Unfortunately, both the fact sheet and Namco itself were unable to shed light on two questions that were burning in our minds, namely whether or not Soul Calibur III will feature online play and whether or not the game would see an arcade release of some kind. Hopefully we'll get word on that soon. Until then, PlayStation 2 owners can look forward to Soul Calibur III sometime this year. Look for more as soon as it becomes available.

MetallicaT
nice
loved both 1 and 2..was thinkin about selling my ps2...now, probably not

thx for the info

SaTsuJiN
hopefully 3 isnt as disappointing as 2

Robo-Chocobo
I'm dissapointed Namco is turning their backs to all the fans of the other versions of SC2. SC2 GC ver had the highst sales...you'd think they would at least make a ver for the cube.....

sigh.....this is almost as big a backstab as capcom's "console exclusitivety"

Draco69
I owned the the SC GC version because I wanted to play as Link. Didn't feel like playing as Spawn or the old bastard Hihci... whatever his name is.

ZomBiE_HunTER
Im getting 3.

sai12
Aww, no way! Exclusive? I hope they change their minds about that...*sighs*

MetallicaT
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN

what was disappointing about 2?

SaTsuJiN
there was nothing new?.. it was like playing a crappier version of sc1 except with new characters

JToTheP
It won't be exclusive for long, I mean there is NO more exclusive games period. I give it by Christmas and they announce it for GC and/or XBox, and we have the exclusive characters back. I think these new characters suck horribly, I just want Link back, since 2 was so damn amazing to begin with, 3 will suck with a shitty cast of new characters.

JToTheP
there was nothing new?.. it was like playing a crappier version of sc1 except with new characters

blink Weapon mission mode was enough to keep me playing before I even got into Arcade & Versus mode, all the different weapons to pick from, added to the replay value. I don't see what was bad about 2 at all, since the GC version was the best I thought.

SaTsuJiN
Yes, but if you remember the jump in gameplay from soul edge to soul calibur.. it was like a revolutionary re-design in fighting game controls. Now its just becoming a stale repeat like pokemon

Robo-Chocobo
All the game companies always do what's best for sony.

Morridini
Originally posted by JToTheP
It won't be exclusive for long, I mean there is NO more exclusive games period.

So can we expect to see Mario and Samus Aran on X-box, PS2 etc?

SaTsuJiN
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=5290&type=mov
a demo of soul calibur 3 in progress...

and that was a bad example Morri.. he wasnt talking about characters created specifically by a company that makes their own console. He was referring to games like grand theft auto, manhunt, dance dance revolution.. which have seemed to traverse multiple consoles

MetallicaT
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=5290&type=mov
a demo of soul calibur 3 in progress...

and that was a bad example Morri.. he wasnt talking about characters created specifically by a company that makes their own console. He was referring to games like grand theft auto, manhunt, dance dance revolution.. which have seemed to traverse multiple consoles

i think he was being sarcastic....maybe not...i dunno

Red Superfly
Gamecube Soul Caliber sold the most........

XBox version looked the best.........

And the PS2 gets Soul Caliber III.

Makes sense.

What the f**k?

SaTsuJiN
that hoop girl Tiris just looks too damn awesome.. I might have found my new favorite character.. o_O (if kilik is still the damn same that is)

Morridini
Originally posted by MetallicaT
i think he was being sarcastic....maybe not...i dunno

Yeah, I came with those examples as a way for showing JToTheP that he cant say there absolutely are NO more exclusive games.

SaTsuJiN
Tira
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/081/reviews/927089_20050323_screen007.jpg

I hope she plays as good as I think she might.. a weapon like that definately calls for a 360 degree range of movement.. and I hope they change her voice.. -_-

Linkalicious
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Gamecube Soul Caliber sold the most........

XBox version looked the best.........

And the PS2 gets Soul Caliber III.

Makes sense.

What the f**k?
gotta agree.

I bought Gamecube because of our green-clad elf-earred friend. And I bought this game for the exact same reason.

Blue Dragon
They're doing a 3!? Hmmm, I wonder what it's going to be like...

gls
wow..i jus saw the trailer to the game and i can't wait to play it..though for now its a ps2 exlusive...grrr

SaTsuJiN
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=332299&highlight=soul+calibur+III

wow.. someone madez0rz a thread about dis game ^_^

JToTheP
I think the new characters suck, but that's just me, and they are Soul Calibur material of course. I'm mad this is a Ps2 exclusive, Link became one of my normals of choice in 2, along with Kilik, Seung Mina, and Maxi. I wonder how well it'll play on the Ps2 at all.

gls
oh ..oops i searched for a thread about it but the search didn't come up with it...maybe it spazzed or somethin...
anywho i like the character with the circular weapon..i jus think it looks cool though

oh and gamecube soul calibur 2 was the best selling out of the 3 console versions...
why ps2 exclusive i must ask?!?

SaTsuJiN
Yeah Tira looks awesome... namco mustve gotten paid alot of cash to keep it exclusive, since PS2 probably lost alot of cash to nintendo's Link special guest character.. there is always a chance itll land on all 3 systems though.. resident evil 4 was supposed to be exclusive.. but now its coming to ps2 so.. cant really take their word for it

gls
true..and since its a proven seller i think a version will come down at least at some point for xbox and gamecube (if not a new version for the xbox next and revolution)

ArthasKnight
I hope it's not PS2 exclusive. I too am a Link fan, he's my standard character, and I do not want to lose the ability to play as him.

JToTheP
Yeah Tira looks awesome... namco mustve gotten paid alot of cash to keep it exclusive, since PS2 probably lost alot of cash to nintendo's Link special guest character.. there is always a chance itll land on all 3 systems though.. resident evil 4 was supposed to be exclusive.. but now its coming to ps2 so.. cant really take their word for it

Resident Evil 4 being "exclusive" became a joke after they RE-DID the entire game. Nothing is exclusive anymore, and SCIII will do horribly as a Ps2-exclusive, since the GC version sold the most out of all 3 versions of SC2, and just played better then the Ps2 version. The XBox, well that speaks for itself for playing better then the Ps2.

TrAnCeDuO
ill still play it but words cannot express how uber gay this is.

killeralot
i'm not being funny but i have both xbox and ps2 and i think they should bring sc3 out 4 both cuz the game play would be different bcux of the graphics

JKozzy
Originally posted by ArthasKnight
I hope it's not PS2 exclusive. I too am a Link fan, he's my standard character, and I do not want to lose the ability to play as him. It is wink

dave123
Merged big grin

powerfulone1987
I bought this game after a little coaxing and because of all of the big hype and when I got it, I couldn't tell a different between this fighting game and any other good fighting game out there, I was never dissapointed, I hardly played it then and I don't play it now.

SaTsuJiN
Im desperately hoping they have an option to use japanese voices... cuz tira's and talim's english voices are annoying

RaventheOnly
no expression it will sink if PS2 exclusive erm

TrAnCeDuO
that it will...that it will...

who else wants to stick it to the man?!

sai12
I say they go for all of them! PS2 only!? Bah! That's horrible! I bet they'll change their colors once they realize how little they make or how much they could!! Proud Xbox owner speaking!!

JToTheP
This has to be a sick joke, they CAN'T be that stupid.

ZomBiE_HunTER
im getting it either way because I enjoy # II quite a bit.

JKozzy
Originally posted by sai12
I say they go for all of them! PS2 only!? Bah! That's horrible! I bet they'll change their colors once they realize how little they make or how much they could!! Proud Xbox owner speaking!! Probably will be exclusive for a few months, then better versions will be out for the box and cube.

black robb

mad WHAT! mad

SaTsuJiN
You obviously didnt play the first soul calibur.. or you'd probably come to agree with me

ZomBiE_HunTER
Two for the cube was a great game in my opinion.

black robb
You obviously didnt play the first soul calibur.. or you'd probably come to agree with me Ok you got me there

Beast_Within
Originally posted by Draco69
Discuss.

Namco unveiled details on Soul Calibur III today and confirmed the game's release this year in the US. The title is the third entry in the Soul Calibur series, Namco's impressive weapon-based fighting franchise that began on the original PlayStation. According to currently available information, it appears that, unlike its predecessor Soul Calibur II, the game will be exclusive to the PlayStation 2 when it ships sometime this year.

While Namco didn't reveal a great deal of information, there were still some nice tidbits on what to expect. The game's story will apparently revolve around a mysterious individual who revives Nightmare, everyone's favorite demonic armor-clad warrior. This is clearly a perfect excuse for some one-on-one combat. The game's roster will feature three new fighters, bringing the tally of playable characters to more than 25. Setsuka is a busty umbrella-wielding fighter who is sporting some platform flip-flops and a sword housed in her parasol. While her last name hasn't been revealed, we half expect her to be a cousin of Mai Shiranui of Fatal Fury fame. The second character is a green-clad female named Kira, who's wielding either the world's biggest chakram or the world's most badass hula hoop. Finally, the last and most striking of the characters is an African fighter named Zasalamel, who sports a distinctly Egyptian flavor and is rocking a wicked-looking scythe with a bird motif.

Namco has touched on several new modes that are in line with the game types we've seen in previous entries in the series, although some of these modes sport new names. The tale of souls mode sounds like the traditional single-player experience we've played in previous games, and it will have you playing through the game with each character in order to view their unique ending sequences. The versus standard mode will let you face off against a friend. Chronicles of the sword is an intriguing new mode that ties in with another new addition to the Soul Calibur experience, character creation. This original feature will let you create your own character by choosing its sex, occupation, weapon, and some physical characteristics. Once you've made your virtual self, you can take the character into the chronicles of the sword mode, which is billed as a real-time simulation that lets you watch your character engage in battles. Although the info provided on the mode is a bit sketchy, we expect that it may be similar to the artificial intelligence mode seen in Virtua Fighter 4.

Mention of a world competition mode hints at a competition wherein you'll have to climb through the ranks of fighters, which sounds like some form of ranked tournament-style ladder. Practice mode appears to be the obligatory mode that lets you practice your moves on a hapless AI opponent whose behavior you can customize. Soul arena mode surely promises unique battles of some kind. Finally, a museum mode will let you view the franchise history as well as all the content you've unlocked in your butt-kicking travels. The last bit of information revealed mentions familiar stage locations that include a castle in Germany, a shrine in Greece, and the top of a clock tower.

Unfortunately, both the fact sheet and Namco itself were unable to shed light on two questions that were burning in our minds, namely whether or not Soul Calibur III will feature online play and whether or not the game would see an arcade release of some kind. Hopefully we'll get word on that soon. Until then, PlayStation 2 owners can look forward to Soul Calibur III sometime this year. Look for more as soon as it becomes available. im gettin it eek!

Mistah DEVIL
Does anybody besides me think the character customization could use some work?

Yuna33
There's gonna be a 3rd one?! Yay!
when is it comming out?
^I like the sig.big grin

Mistah DEVIL
Later this year in the US and Europe. I'm not sure when it'll be released in Japan.

Mistah DEVIL
Originally posted by Yuna33
^I like the sig.big grin Happy Dance

Yuna33
lol!

FullMetalLover1
that didnt make sense. you said there wasnt anything new, but then u said there was new characters. and the dunce cap goes to u kid!!!
SC2 was a great game!!! mad

TrAnCeDuO
...right...

anyways can someone please post the official site?

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by FullMetalLover1
that didnt make sense. you said there wasnt anything new, but then u said there was new characters. and the dunce cap goes to u kid!!!
SC2 was a great game!!! mad yeah.. and then you woke up ... havent you heard the expression "Same shit, new wrapper" ? tsk tsk... its probably people like you that bought all 3 DBZ Budoukai's

GalacticStorm
is it just me or do all GC owners on this thread seem more bothered about not being able to play as Link than actually being able to play the game.

I believe Jkozzy is right it's gonna be like Splinter cell remeber that was a Xbox exclusive for a few months but then it came out on ps2

and we all know about Mgs (metal gear solid) that was a Ps exclusive but now almost all the consoles have a version of that game.

so GC and Xbox fans sholdn't fret of course yur gonna get your versions of SC3 just not before us PS2 owners get it first. heh wink

On a side note Why does eveyone love link in SC2 so much he was rubbish he was an awful character to play with his attacks weren't that hard to dodge and they left him soo wide open for Counterattack's or parries it was a joke though he did have one of the best weps in the game the fairy sword but even with that he sucked

i played xbox as well as GC and spawn was much better than Link

Draco69
It was fun to play as Link. But he was a god awful character. His attacks were slow for a person his size and his projectile attacks are ridiculous.

BENDER_17

Blue Dragon
What characters are in it? Show some pictures.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by GalacticStorm
On a side note Why does eveyone love link in SC2 so much he was rubbish he was an awful character to play with his attacks weren't that hard to dodge and they left him soo wide open for Counterattack's or parries it was a joke though he did have one of the best weps in the game the fairy sword but even with that he sucked

lol I wouldnt go 'that' far with that last comment about link sucking more than spawn.. but personally I found all the "celebrity characters" boring and 2 dimensional.. it was like "ok.. um.. they're here.. pheer them!"

spawn was like a crappier version of necrid.. if thats even imaginable.. link with his smash melee inspired moves that were easily parryable.. and heihachi.. ugh.. that was just dumb... there were many other deserving characters to put in SC.. and they went and used heihachi..

Lord Ryugen
I've played every game in this seies (Soul Blade PS1, Soul Calibur DC Soul Calibur 2 on all formats PS2, GC, XB) and loved them all except for the X-Box SC2 (Spawn dragged that game down) and I can't wait for SC3.

JToTheP
I'll be shocked if this stays exclusive, or isn't ported to the next-generation consoles or something.

SaTsuJiN
ew lol.. soul calibur graphics are getting old now.. next gen would probably require higher polycounts and more higher rez textures

Mistah DEVIL

GalacticStorm
hey yeh yur right about the guests characters they weren't that great

also heihachi should have never been in it they already have someone guest starring from the tekken series "Yoshimitsu" so they didn't need heihachi they could have used someone from the DOA or the VF series or that samurai guy from the snk vs capcom games or something like that

they got it right on the GC the guest character should have been "Link"

but on the PS it should have been Cloud or sepihorth or Squall

on the X-box it should have been that guy from Ninja gaiden Ryu hayabusa i think

Blue Dragon
ew lol.. soul calibur graphics are getting old now.. next gen would probably require higher polycounts and more higher rez textures

Old? What do you men old? Can't you appretiate the graphics? How are they old? The graphics are nice.

Mainstream
yeah...don't knock the graphics young man! professorx

TrAnCeDuO

I couldnt agree with you more. seriously link is so overrated. some of my friends play as him and they lose easily to me. links fighting style is just way too inefficient and ineffective to be actually worth investing training time in.

He proves that popularity doesnt equal quality.

TrAnCeDuO
Originally posted by Mistah DEVIL
I so can't wait to play Zasalamel!!

evil face

Blue Dragon
Originally posted by TrAnCeDuO
I couldnt agree with you more. seriously link is so overrated. some of my friends play as him and they lose easily to me. links fighting style is just way too inefficient and ineffective to be actually worth investing training time in.

He proves that popularity doesnt equal quality.

I use Link & friends lose easily to me....sleepy Exept my friend, she can't play the game but she won nearly very single time by using 'repetative moves' which I'm not use to so I lost! I only won once or twice... ranting

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Mainstream
yeah...don't knock the graphics young man! professorx knock them? the graphics knock itself.. they've been abusing the same graphics since dreamcast came out.. they need to get with the program

Blue Dragon
You mean they should be better? I haven't played the previous games, only SCII.

SaTsuJiN
Soul Calibur came out when dreamcast first debuted (1998 ish).. now its the year 2005.. in 2004 SCII hit consoles.. and it just still looks the same to me.. basically.. as JtotheP was saying "I would be surprised if it didnt come to next gen consoles".. I disagree because next-gen opening titles are all about showcasing what the console is capable of.. (newer texture implimentations, higher poly counts and processing speeds).. they dont want some 2 year old arcade graphics lol..

Mistah DEVIL
Have you guys seen how beautiful MGS3 is? big grin If you have then you know that SC3's graphics can definitely look better than SC2's!!

SaTsuJiN
but they dont... they look the same as SC2..

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/soulcaliburiii/screenindex.html

ZomBiE_HunTER
They're not the same.

TrAnCeDuO
Originally posted by Blue Dragon
I use Link & friends lose easily to me....sleepy Exept my friend, she can't play the game but she won nearly very single time by using 'repetative moves' which I'm not use to so I lost! I only won once or twice... ranting

really now?

whats your usual difficulty level? wink

Blue Dragon
^What do you mean...

SaTsuJiN
well.. you beat your friends quite easily but you lost to repetative moves.. thats sortof inconsitant in a manner of speaking.. however if that were me I woulda punished her with repetition 10 times over (ie. knock her to the floor and then stomp her til she died or fell off the stage.. whichever came first)

Mistah DEVIL
Can we talk about ppl who are actually gonna be in SC3?

SaTsuJiN
No because the final roster hasnt been determined.. the game is still in developement process

but instead, you can have a cookie, in the form of wallpapers from SC3
^_^

http://www.cheathappens.com/show_wall.asp?id=18110

Mainstream
Rumor is that Dante of the DMC games may be a playable character.

Mistah DEVIL
three are confirmed (the new characters)
three can be assumed to be (taki, misturugi and ivy all can be seen in SSs)

Mainstream
Misturugi--"you'll be in hell...before me" Sweet!devil-smiley-104

TrAnCeDuO
Can we talk about ppl who are actually gonna be in SC3?

whats really to say about them? Also i highly doubt that Dante would be in there since that would be inconsistent with his series to the SC series.

Blue dragon: what difficulty do you usually play on?hard? easy? normal? what?! (its not a hard question)

Mistah DEVIL
If heihachi link and spawn can show up in SC3 Dante sure as hell can!! Dante has guest starred in 2 other games already.

TrAnCeDuO
that doesnt make any sense because 1, you have to have a legitimate reason as why they are in that universe. 2nd of all the GC/Xbox/PS thing was just a nice incentive to lure for people to play the game. Since They are now doing PS2 only i doubt theyll do it again. 3rd of all have you even considered the massive royalties they will have to pay in order to get dante?

all in all i find it highly improbable that he will be in it.

Mistah DEVIL
I don't know about royalties? Cuz capcom published Viewtiful Joe for PS2 and the guy who did character designs for SMTN (what ever the name of that game is) designed dantes devil form in dmc3. And namco and capcom have already collaborated how do you think the dante rumor got started?

Mainstream
I'm not sure...I read about in the the lastest issue of Game informer.

GalacticStorm
satsujin you seem like a smart person

but i have been reading your argument about the graphics and............

.....well i am sorry to say(just like in the samus vs MC thread) that you are once again.....incorrect.

basically SC was only for 1 console so namco took full advantage of it's capabilities which resulted in it being the best looking fighting game of it's time

even better than it's arcade Counterpart

However with SC2 it was being made for 3 consoles the code had to be easily portable therfore namco never pushed any of the consoles like they did first time round. Resulting in it not being the best looking fighting game of this generation.

However it being a later generation inherently it's graphics are considerably better than the previous installment.

So i am sorry to say that the graphics in SC2 are much better than that in SC1

SaTsuJiN
lmao plz.. you seem to not know the difference between just one step up from another resolution, and a totally new ballpark.. soul calibur for dreamcast is even used today as an excellent sample for the colors of most monitors at computer shows (and yes its better than its counterpart at the AC)... soul calibur 2 however is very stale.. its the same nonsense.. but one step up (from dreamcast SC).. tekken 4 to tekken 5 anyone?.. and Im sadly not incorrect in the other thread either.. you took trash from a novel and shoved it into the game (the game came first mind you) .. tsk tsk.. perhaps you should actually get 'into' video games before you start slamming my standpoints

Blue Dragon
Blue dragon: what difficulty do you usually play on?hard? easy? normal? what?! (its not a hard question)

Ermm...I don't know, you can change difficult mode can't you? I forget because I haven't gone to the options in a while now but probably normal mode, I check that for you.

well.. you beat your friends quite easily but you lost to repetative moves.. thats sortof inconsitant in a manner of speaking.. however if that were me I woulda punished her with repetition 10 times over (ie. knock her to the floor and then stomp her til she died or fell off the stage.. whichever came first)

Yeah...but I'm not use to the repetative attacking so I was stumped, everytime I was knocked to the ground she knocked me over again... mad

I was like "You don't know how to play the game!" she says "But I'm winning!" She doesn't get it....but I did manage to block quick enough just before she attacked then I killed the living censored2 out of her! stick out tongue

SaTsuJiN
yeah you gotta find a move that has a quick animation and a deep consequence for the enemy if they get hit (such as getting stunned badly, or flat out getting knocked to the ground).. popping them up into the air is also a great starter for punishment.. dont rely too much on parry, unless something is really obvious.. my nephew tried his button mashing on me and I lost one round.. next 12 rounds he got it so bad he quit the game.. Im not the type to let kids win sad

Mistah DEVIL
I dont let kids win either but I always go 3 rounds with them. You got to give em theres moneys worth at the arcade. I love to help them win against other ppl though. big grin

sai12
Hehe....Well, since you guys did mention the first Soul Calibur which came out on Dreamcast. I just have to agree, the game really hasn't gotten all that much better. Some new characters a few new things to do, but its the same *sigh* I hate to have to agree with the people who are basically bashing the SC games, but can't deny the truth. I really hope they pick up the pace and make SC3 better than the previous ones. SC1 is still the best in my opinion, too bad my Dreamcast died. Heh...guess we will just have to wait and see what happens with that whole "exclusive" thing. smile

TrAnCeDuO
I don't know about royalties? Cuz capcom published Viewtiful Joe for PS2 and the guy who did character designs for SMTN (what ever the name of that game is) designed dantes devil form in dmc3. And namco and capcom have already collaborated how do you think the dante rumor got started?
is that a statement or a question? in case you don't take economics sometime. you'll realize that there's alot of red tape that needs to be cut before someones intellectual property can be used.

Originally posted by Mainstream
I'm not sure...I read about in the the lastest issue of Game informer.
yes i read that magazine as well. They feature a section of rumors that could be dead on or totally baseless. either way they are just rumors and not to be taken seriously.

also have any of you even considered the concept of Dante being in that game? In case you didn't notice Dante is a guy who has a sword as big as Nightmares, twin guns (ebony and ivory) that could take them all out in a matter of seconds, and speed that rivals Taki.

If Dante was in that game it would be a terrible terrible game due to the fact that he could easily annihilate anyone in it. Namco's stupid but i don't think they're that stupid.

TrAnCeDuO
No because the final roster hasnt been determined.. the game is still in developement process

but instead, you can have a cookie, in the form of wallpapers from SC3
^_^

http://www.cheathappens.com/show_wall.asp?id=18110

heh thanks for the link man.

but i was wondering...whats up with tira? why is her hair blue?

Blue Dragon
yeah you gotta find a move that has a quick animation and a deep consequence for the enemy if they get hit (such as getting stunned badly, or flat out getting knocked to the ground).. popping them up into the air is also a great starter for punishment.. dont rely too much on parry, unless something is really obvious.. my nephew tried his button mashing on me and I lost one round.. next 12 rounds he got it so bad he quit the game.. Im not the type to let kids win sad

Yeah, flat or on the ground is no place to be! Very vurable there & useless getting up.... mad Just try a block & you'll be quick to defend yourself but that only worked when I one my first round or two.

GalacticStorm
satujin plz that trash your referring to in the that thread is apparently the official history of master cheif from bungie and plz don't say oh cuz it never happened in the game then you can't say it cuz that's wrong.

If you read my posts then i not only gave official facts and proof of his abilities but i also tried to explain where they were represented in the game the only (if that) official facts you guys can come up with that samus had "any" abilities with her chozo blood is some silly e-manga

As i tried to tell you if we played Halo wit MC's full range of abilities we would be like gods in the game and it wouldn't be enjoyable

ZomBiE_HunTER

If Dante was in that game it would be a terrible terrible game due to the fact that he could easily annihilate anyone in it. Namco's stupid but i don't think they're that stupid.
I think it be cool if Dante in SC.

SaTsuJiN
satujin plz that trash your referring to in the that thread is apparently the official history of master cheif from bungie and plz don't say oh cuz it never happened in the game then you can't say it cuz that's wrong.

If you read my posts then i not only gave official facts and proof of his abilities but i also tried to explain where they were represented in the game the only (if that) official facts you guys can come up with that samus had "any" abilities with her chozo blood is some silly e-manga

As i tried to tell you if we played Halo wit MC's full range of abilities we would be like gods in the game and it wouldn't be enjoyable

first off, this isnt even the place to discuss samus and master chief.. but I would hope you already know that.. secondly, if you're so interested in hoping to see chief win the debate, then pretend samus has no history.. and lastly, if we tried to play metroid with samus' full abilities, the game would be impossibly unprogrammable. thx much and keep it to the other thread. happy

Mistah DEVIL
also have any of you even considered the concept of Dante being in that game? In case you didn't notice Dante is a guy who has a sword as big as Nightmares, twin guns (ebony and ivory) that could take them all out in a matter of seconds, and speed that rivals Taki.

Well namco did put Jinpachi in T5 and he is by far the cheapest character in video games fighting history.

Mistah DEVIL
5 characters have been confirmed for SC3.
Besides the three new characters Zasalamel, Tira and Setsuka, Mitsurugi and Taki will be in SC3. Now Astaroth, Ivy, Cassandra, Voldo and Rafael will join the roster.

Still there are no information if Dante or Heihachi will join/rejoin the roster of SC3

Mistah DEVIL
Asta looks so cool.

GalacticStorm
almsot all beat em up's go through this type of phase so what namco have done isn't really as big a deal as you make out .

but thats not the point you were told why the graphics couldn't be to your liking because the "code" for the game had to be simple so that the game could be easily portable through all game systems

if the game was just for one console then the graphics would have been in the "ballpark" you so desired but if you knew anything about the creation of games you would know this

your argument has meaning but you are not understanding that it could not really be helped. Namco knew that it wouldn't be feasible to try and push all three consoles to their limits because this could have led to a lot of technical problems as well as waiting times in game as well.

SC was a great game if it was just for one primary console say for instance the xbox then they could have pushed the console to it's limits like they did the DC. And then you would have gotten a game with your new "ballpark" graphics.

Mistah DEVIL
Graphics not withstanding...
Does everybody agree that SC in general is a fun and entertaining game?
How many plan on getting SC3?

SaTsuJiN
actually the 3 versions of soul cal II vary greatly in terms of visuals.. its just that those differences are found in very subtle areas.. (such as anti-aliasing, some of the normal and regular bump/bit mapping) and last but not least, controls (which I believe the Ps2 version took the lead in).. all of those areas came together to deliver an overall experience which was indeed different for the 3 consoles..

soul calibur 3 on the other hand has the potential to push each of the consoles (considering its being made for ps2 only at the the current time) to their limit. because after its finished for ps2, the developers will have time (in theory) to rework some of the visual elements to the constrains of the other 2 system architectures (as far as "Exclusivity" goes lol). and yes I fully understand how tedious that is, but they would definately get more sales hands down with that kind of quality and heart put into something that 'should' be putting food on their tables for years to come.

and to answer mistah, Soul calibur is fun if you can enjoy it on a casual level.. but personally when you start really getting to that tournament level... youll find that at least 60% of the roster becomes useless punching bags (as far as damage and speed attributes go).. but all tourney experience aside.. yes its a great game, and I plan on getting it because I wanna see how the create-a-character system works smile

Draco69
Good Lord. Didn't think this thread would be THAT popular.

Mistah DEVIL
thats cuz ppl argue a lot here

SaTsuJiN
No you see.. not everyone is supposed to be like "OMfg this is gonna own" for the next 10 pages of this thread... draco was like "Discuss.." that means anything can be said about soul calibur series as long as it pertains to soul calibur, however soul calibur III in particular.. since soul calibur had 2 predecessors before it, I believe they lent alot to how soul calibur is forming as a series.. which is why me and galactic started our own discussion.. if you want to be like "OMg this game is great.. anyone else think so?" for the 90th time, then feel free.. dont acknowledge my post then

Mistah DEVIL
dude I read all the posts and make my opinion known when I have one. to me SC2 looked better than part1 and part3 is gonna look even better.Graphics aren't what makes a game fun anyway.

SaTsuJiN
yes but yet you proceed to comment on what other people are discussing rather than spending that wasted time to formulate an opinion of your own... interesting

Mistah DEVIL
so who do you normally play? Are you in to tourneys?

Mistah DEVIL
yes but yet you proceed to comment on what other people are discussing rather than spending that wasted time to formulate an opinion of your own... interesting I already have opinions. It's my choice when I decide to share them not yours.

SaTsuJiN
I go to tourneys now and then.. but soul cal 2 is pretty old at this point.. so its fairly common to hear that the top winning characters are usually people like nightmare , ivy , xianghua.. and maybe youll see a talim or a taki here and there

I normally play as kilik, cuz I liked him alot in SC... I hoped for a new kilik for soul cal 2 but was let down badly, as he is half old and half new... not even half new... like a quarter new.. he's basically a punching bag in tournaments as far as professionalism goes

TrAnCeDuO
thats crazy satsujin! why haven't you heard of any mitsurugi's or maxi's?
Ive went to a tourney not too long ago and i pwn everyone with seung mina and mitsurugi. nobody there really stood a chance.

also why hasn't anyone answered my question earlier?

SaTsuJiN
seung?.. hmm.. I've heard of maxi winning a tourney.. but he's a very risky character unless completely mastered.. to lose to seung or mitsu... thats kindof insulting lol

what was your question?

ZomBiE_HunTER
I like the samurai i forgot his name.

TrAnCeDuO

no offense but you must be BLIND! seriously, do you have any idea how good mitsurugi is?! i mean sure hes slow but his snappy movements make up greatly for it. seung mina kinda sucks since shes neither quick nor snappy but shes pretty decent once you get the hang of her. and maxi is supposedly the greatest in the game due to his vast kata(wide range of moves)

anyways my question is why is tira's hair blue?

SaTsuJiN
blind to say he's slow?.. xianghua or taki can easily dispatch mitsu.. im not discrediting him.. but personally I'd make it a point not to lose to him.. maxi on the other hand is very good

as for tira.. Im not sure.. her hair appears as a turquoise in some of the screenshots.. so perhaps its a lighting thing?

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/111/927089_20050422_screen008.jpg

Draco69
Good Lord. Can her **** get any bigger? Her chakrum pales for those dasturdly looking things.

SaTsuJiN
omg lol

TrAnCeDuO
well her hair is also blue in some of the concept art so im assuming thats her real hair. where is she from anyways? atlantis?

but yeah taki and xianghua are pretty good but in my opinion its a major insult to lost to characters like link, talim, or astaroth since they are all so so bad.

Mistah DEVIL
stop the asta hating

he does not suck

come to dallas,TX and I'll prove it

TrAnCeDuO

*breaks down and starts litterally rolling on the floor laughing*

Mistah DEVIL
just cuz you dont kno anybody who uses asta well doesn't mean he sucks

I like asta and always have. ppl tend to only use characters that are easy to play but not me i learn to use the character i like inspite if there weaknesses

Mistah DEVIL
btw ffX is the best FF squall sucks

TrAnCeDuO
astaroth is okay but to hear him winning a tournament is just too much. he is a sad character and way too unconventional. but hey i can dig that. my friends use link and talim all the time and i own them badly but hey im not complaining. after all, its their funeral.

and your second post was not only laughable due to its immaturity but also for the fact that you prefer a character of some typical japanese bishounen who whines and bitches about how his father left him over a character who has to face a sorceress, politics, and eventually himself. what makes this even more funnier is no comparison of FF's were ever made thus you must pretty angry about what i said for you to act that way. big grin

Mistah DEVIL
well i have issues with my dad so you go put 2 and2 together
also the gameplay was better in FFX (I wish FF12 would come out already)
and I could relate to yuna's and tidus' relationship

TrAnCeDuO
meh to each their own. just no more avatar bashing okay?smile

Mistah DEVIL
kewl beer

TrAnCeDuO
sure is...

anyways im gonna fuggin lose it if someone replies to my question with
"because shes anime" because it isnt. The entire series is somewhat based on reality and not anime. Some of the demons may have different colored hair but they are demons and can almost do whatever they want.

SaTsuJiN
lol.. I think at www.gametrailers.com under soul cal 3.. they have a developers comment video.. that might explain more about her.. I know they said zasalamel is from africa

ZomBiE_HunTER

no offense but you must be BLIND! seriously, do you have any idea how good mitsurugi is?! i mean sure hes slow but his snappy movements make up greatly for it. seung mina kinda sucks since shes neither quick nor snappy but shes pretty decent once you get the hang of her. and maxi is supposedly the greatest in the game due to his vast kata(wide range of moves)

anyways my question is why is tira's hair blue?
I love Mitsurugi hes awesome like you say he is slow but he does real good damage.

sai12
I hate using Mitsurugi!! I always feel slug like when I play him. Though I know my brother and a friend of mine absolutely love to play with him. I always had fun trying to master Ivy.

And there are tournaments for SC?! I didn't know this....

SaTsuJiN
I believe they report tournaments on the forums at www.soulcalibur.com

sai12
Hehe, I wouldn't stand a chance.....Though it would be fun just try...

Maybe if I pratice up a bit, (A VERY long time) its been months since I've played SC2. I'm sure a beginner could whip me now. *hangs head in shame* Ahh well...

General Kaliero
Heh. I can kick anyone's arse using Raphael. Or Sueng Mina. Or Xianghua.

I've actually gotten so good with every character that no one will play with me unless I use the random selection or Charade. ^_^;;

TrAnCeDuO
i see someones arrogant.roll eyes (sarcastic)

anyways which is better for mitsi? the masamune or the damascus sword?

General Kaliero
The Damascus sword is Mitsurugi's best weapon, with almost double attack power and defense. It's like playing with four times as much health as your opponent. Good for winning computer matches.

HOWEVER, you'll probably find that other humans will no longer want to play with you if you use it regularly... *holds up petition signed by several friends ordering me to not use the D-sword anymore*

So the Masamune is a good choice for VS. matches.

In my opinion:

Astaroth = Thanatos
Cassandra = Spine Blade/ Red Crystal Rod
Cervantes = Firangi/ Lethe
Ivy = Viper Edge / Kaleidoscope (if you are a constant attacker)
Kilik = Jingu Staff
Link = Great Fairy Sword
Maxi = Soul Edge
Mitsurugi = Masamune/ Damascus Sword
Necrid = Ignis Fatuus / Soul Edge
Nightmare = Soul Calibur
Raphael = Queen's Guard / Wo Dao
Seung Mina = Soul Edge
Sophitia = Orichalcum / Blue Crystal Rod
Taki = Kris Naga
Talim = Double Crescent Blade / Soul Calibur
Voldo = Soul Edge
Xianghua = Soul Calibur (untainted)
Yoshimitsu = Soul Edge
Yunsung = Han Guang

This list does not include Spawn or Heihachi, because I have the GCN version and only had a little time with Spawn, none with Heihachi.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Heh. I can kick anyone's arse using Raphael. Or Sueng Mina. Or Xianghua.

I've actually gotten so good with every character that no one will play with me unless I use the random selection or Charade. ^_^;; charade should be more of a reason not to play with someone.. and xianghua is the only deadly one out of your roster as well

as for the purchased swords.. I never use em cuz they really tip the game over

ChickinMeat
all i know about soul caliber is that i sucked at it, i sucked hard

General Kaliero
charade should be more of a reason not to play with someone.. and xianghua is the only deadly one out of your roster as well

as for the purchased swords.. I never use em cuz they really tip the game over

The only deadly one is Xianghua? Who do you think you're kidding? Out of the three I cited, Mina's the best. Almost as long range as Kilik, great attacking power, great speed.

Don't get me wrong, I love Xianghua's deceptively flowing straightsword style, but Mina wins out here.

TrAnCeDuO

im sorry for repeating myself but seriously are you blind?! Seung mina has to be one of the slowest characters in the game. hell shes even slower than astaroth! Shes nice though...very nice.

General Kaliero
Dude, don't exaggerate. NO ONE is slower than Astaroth.

Mina has good speed as long as you distance her from the opponent. Her close range attacks are slow, true, but Mina's not meant to be played at close range. Stay back, and she's gold.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by General Kaliero
The only deadly one is Xianghua? Who do you think you're kidding? Out of the three I cited, Mina's the best. Almost as long range as Kilik, great attacking power, great speed.

Don't get me wrong, I love Xianghua's deceptively flowing straightsword style, but Mina wins out here. you'd prolly be the first to get juggled in a tournament with that outlook.. she dominates the ground too.. and she's exceedingly tricky when it comes to changeups.. she's not Hwangs copy anymore. Ivy , Nightmare and Xianghua dominate the tourneys.. with a very few following as Maxi (as noone wants to spend that much time to learn a character)..
Mina is not useless.. but you'd be better off with someone else

TrAnCeDuO
i kinda agree with you both she is a tough character unless you use her as the general described. the thing is that she is like maxi...if you really want to bring out their potential you have to be willing to pour alot of time into them.

just a random question...do you think theyll have different weapons and fighting styles for create your character mode?

chronic
i dont know if someone posted this already but dante(devil may cry)might be in it

General Kaliero
i kinda agree with you both she is a tough character unless you use her as the general described. the thing is that she is like maxi...if you really want to bring out their potential you have to be willing to pour alot of time into them.

just a random question...do you think theyll have different weapons and fighting styles for create your character mode?

Listen to Trance, Satsujin. You just have to pour your intent into her. *points to 3:56 Extra Arcade time with Mina*

And Trance, I heard that you DO get to choose weapons and fighting styles in the character creation. But probably, you'll choose from the pre-recorded styles of all the other characters.

SaTsuJiN

they better.. I plan to make my alter ego in soul cali form big grin

and general, he agreed with us both.. besides.. I like kilik better anyway.. mina is good for popups.. but I just like kilik for some ungodly reason.. to be truely honest though assassin is my fave (strictly soul calibur 2 speaking).. I just like his outfit >_> (the metal with the blue)

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>