Graphics OR Gameplay?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ChickinMeat
Ive been discussing this one for a long time with my buddies, and thought id see what you people think.

It seems to be a very clear divide with my buddies, those who enjoy games solely on gameplay, and those who will only play games with top notch graphics.

sort of like when playing Halo PC on LAN, one friend has his resolution on 800x600, whilst another guy moaned at him saying "crank the graphics, framerate doesnt matter!".

so what is your opinion, what comes first, graphics or the gameplay?

pr1983
Gameplay easily...

FlappingMangera
gameplay, every single time for me

BackFire
gameplay.

AdventChild
gameplay by far... you want to play a crappy game with great graphics....

ragesRemorse
I think there both just as important. It also depends, in certain games mediocre graphics are acceptable. In Gta, the gameplay outweighs the graphics. If the graphics of resident were mediocre, it wouldnt have been so impactfull. Other games warrant top visuals. A good Fps has to have both, good atmospheric graphics and gameplay controls.

dark1365
Crappy game with good graphics? What's the point in that? What the f**k?

Sun Ce
hey look i'm the only 1 who voted graphics yay! laughing out loud

Anyways, graphics are the future, and for me, graphics MAKE gameplay good, if everythign is interactive for example, thats gonna make the gameplay alot more realistic which makes the game more fun, wouldn't u agree?

I think gameplay is important too, but u need graphics to make the game unique and make them give the game that "edge" of gameplay eye candy, for me anyways the graphics in games always did do it for me when playing them.

So its graphics for me happy

dave123
gameplay... of course

Smasandian
Graphics do make a game unique in terms of art direction and the style presented but a unique gameplay element makes a whole lot of difference in how good the game is. Look at the Resident Evil games and especially Resident Evil 4. It does have amazing graphics but the game wouldnt be as impactful if it kept the same style of gameplay as the other 4 RE's.
Look at some of the old Gameboy games where graphics were horrible. They all sold well because of the gameplay. I can still go back to Mario for the NES and play it because the gameplay is amazing. I cant go back and play Doom 3 in 5 years because the graphics will be old and the gameplay is crap.

ChickinMeat
Originally posted by Smasandian
I can still go back to Mario for the NES and play it because the gameplay is amazing.

exactly dude, graphics can age, but great gameplay is timeless

Smasandian
Yeppers.
I still play the orginal Half-Life. I think Ive beaten it 5 times already.
I think the main point of turning this arguement towards gameplay is that if you look at the games out today that are popular mainly because of graphics, will people still play them 10 years from? I dont think so.
But take a game thats popular because of gameplay, people will still play it 10 years from now.
Street Fighter, Half Life, older Mario games, Zelda and countless others that gameplay focused are still being played today.
One of the most popular online game in the present time is Counter-Strike (not the source version). Alot of games that took ideas from CS that had better graphcis, are not around at all. Global Operations, Tatical Ops had better graphics but are now extinct.

ragesRemorse
Graphics have always been the most important part to video game sales. Now gameplay may be the driving force of video games for individual gamers, but the graphics have been the leading aspect of video games since SNES.

I seriously do not see either one being more important than each other. There are plenty of games out tehre that stand solid on gameplay or graphics alone, and become memorable and popular games. Many times i believe good graphics will make people believe the gameplay is better than it actually is. The same can be said for gameplay over graphics. Doom3 is a prime example. Aside from the graphics, doom3 is a below standard fps. Doom3 is all about atmosphere, and the grpahics create an atmosphere quite vividly. The gameplay is that of a simple straight forward fps. The gameplay controlls are less than comfortable to say the least.

powerfulone1987
I wouldn't mind playing a game that just had a bunch of action cinematics and a little game play.
I love graphics.
I heard that Xenosaga is like that, I'll have to check that out.

Smasandian
Rage, I hate to say it, but its true.
Doom 3 will never be played in around 5 years.
Games like Civilization, Starcraft will be.

edwinian
gameplay

Blue Dragon
I have to good graphics otherwise the game doesn't strike me...but gameplay is always important, that's what makes games games! yes

If a game had rubbish graphics but good gameplay I probably wouldn't know about really, graphics have to be realistic...even though I have Wind Waker but that's Zelda so I had to buy it (dissapointed though!)

ChickinMeat
you guys should try the metal slug games, graphics arnt next gen but the gameplay is fantastic.

well i think so anyway

hotsauce6548
Well, as said before, you're not going to play a horrible game just because it has great graphics, although it does help...

Gameplay

BackFire
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Graphics have always been the most important part to video game sales. Now gameplay may be the driving force of video games for individual gamers, but the graphics have been the leading aspect of video games since SNES.

I seriously do not see either one being more important than each other. There are plenty of games out tehre that stand solid on gameplay or graphics alone, and become memorable and popular games. Many times i believe good graphics will make people believe the gameplay is better than it actually is. The same can be said for gameplay over graphics. Doom3 is a prime example. Aside from the graphics, doom3 is a below standard fps. Doom3 is all about atmosphere, and the grpahics create an atmosphere quite vividly. The gameplay is that of a simple straight forward fps. The gameplay controlls are less than comfortable to say the least.

The GTA games are among the best selling video games ever, and their graphics are sub-par.

The ONLY genre of game in which graphics is anywhere near as important as gameplay is the FPS, because you need to feel absorbed in an FPS, you have to actually believe it's you in this world.

That being said, gameplay is always most important in any game, Doom 3 disapointed a lot of people because of it's generic and simple gameplay, despite teh great graphics.

eleveninches
Gameplay is much more important than graphics.
I'd rather play a game with dreamcast or N-64 graphics that has excellent gameplay, than play a PS2 game that has bad gameplay

JToTheP
Old-school games: of course, Gameplay, except Super Mario RPG, that wins for graphics & gameplay.

Gameplay overall though, since alot of old school games are better then games now, with the exception of a short list.

Blue Dragon
Some old games are way better than todays games but the graphics aren't that good so yes I'd have to agree.

DracotheDragon
Gameplay, but a game with awesome gameplay that had graphics like FFX, then I'd have to go with that game.

Blue Dragon
I say it loads of times & I'll say it once more... big grin I'm more likely to play games with realistic graphics (Starfox Adventures... :droolio: Jak 2/3, Ratchet & Clank etc...SFA have to be the best graphics I've ever ever saw!)

Sova D. Nagi
I like a game with good gameplay and at least some deceit graphics.
I still love the old 2D games back on super nintendo entrainment system.

FullMetalLover1
Originally posted by Blue Dragon
I have to good graphics otherwise the game doesn't strike me...but gameplay is always important, that's what makes games games! yes

If a game had rubbish graphics but good gameplay I probably wouldn't know about really, graphics have to be realistic...even though I have Wind Waker but that's Zelda so I had to buy it (dissapointed though!)
the graphics in wind waker werent all that great but, there was great gameplay and storyline( like always lol) Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Blue Dragon
I just read my quote off there & I said "That's what makes games games!" I ment good games, first I put games good so I didn't delete one of the 'games'...confusion...anyway, it made sense.

The WW was nothing like the other Zelda games, walking forests, dungeons...did I mention this before? I did somewhere.

Rescue princesess', in this we had a boat that talked... blink ??? Travelling on water? blink Ganondorf is in an outside fortress in the middle of the sea instead of something like a castle on land...? blink

Sorry for the blink -ing but it's how I feel... blink

ChickinMeat
In my eyes WW is equal in greatness to OoT, i couldnt put WW down when i borrowed it.

I also thought the graphics were exceptional, but i like cell shaded.

Blue Dragon
If this makes sense...I like the graphics, very bright & nice...but...I don't like cel shaded that much...well, I just perfere realistic...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.