I don't like the new Yoda.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheForceSupreme
I know it sounds kinda stupid but after watching the trailers and every clip/image we've already seen plus ep.2 ofcourse. I can not help but feel he looks....kinda fake in a way. The old puppet is stuck on me. sad

Now I know with SE they can make him move, jump, have fights and so on..but still...I don't like the way he looks.

http://images.allposters.com/images/30/007_yoda.jpg

http://216.127.78.103/~dutch-starwars.com/database/personen/pics/yoda.jpg

http://www.karkza.org/ftp/graphics/StarWars/yoda.jpg

http://www.prequelwatch.com/prequels/editorials/sotg%208%20pics/yoda.jpg

vs.

http://www.moviemarket.de/library/photos/263/263574.jpg

http://img95.exs.cx/img95/3568/rots267qs.jpg

http://img208.exs.cx/img208/8058/yoda2ek9tk.jpg

http://www.starwars-tw.com/story/character/jedi/yoda-ep2.jpg

If you look carefully you will notice that as a puppet the hair was mainly around his ears. Now it's just all over the place plus he looks kinda....chubby. laughing

Anways I hardly think this will bother me during ep.3..it's just now that I take a closer look I see the difference.

hunchy
AMEN

astrofan428
It is an improvement over the TPM Yoda.

DarthAJ
I'll take the ROTS and AOTC Yoda over the TPM and ESB one any day.

And yes he does look chubby which I kinda like.

DeVi| D0do
I'm on the fence with Yoda...

I definitely like the ESB muppet over the CG AOTC and TPM muppet, but making him CG has allowed a lot more movement and interaction.

Though I do think that they could have found a happy meduim... ie some muppet some CG...

but that's just me big grin

TheForceSupreme
Originally posted by astrofan428
It is an improvement over the TPM Yoda.

I concur.

Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
I'm on the fence with Yoda...

I definitely like the ESB muppet over the CG AOTC and TPM muppet, but making him CG has allowed a lot more movement and interaction.

Though I do think that they could have found a happy meduim... ie some muppet some CG...

but that's just me big grin

Yeah that was what I was thinking.

Sith Master X
Originally posted by DarthAJ
I'll take the ROTS and AOTC Yoda over the TPM and ESB one any day.

Same here.

LanİeWindu™
I loved the original Yoda, but he has no facial expressions really.

TPM Yoda can kiss my ass, he didn't look anything like the REAL Yoda.

AOTC Yoda was a big improvement and I love him, but they shouldn't have made his duel so fast, it looks cartoony.

ROTS Yoda looks even better than the AOTC version, but they gave him too much facial expressions so it looks too different that the original.

Like D0do said, a mixture would have been better.

JKozzy
I see absolutley nothing wrong with the look of Yoda.

Darth_Vader05
I think the new Yoda rules you people arent true Star Wars fans if you keep on dissing the prequal trilogy grr. The puppet was cool though but not as good as the CG Yoda he owned in Attack Of The Clones!

astrofan428
He may not be great for close ups, but other than that I thingk the cg yoda is fine. But the extreme close ups like the Tragedy spot make it a little to easy to see the flaws.

But the added mobility and emotion he can show is great for such a vital character. But I still consider the clone war and Obi/Ani/Yoda vs. Dooku sequence as one of my all-time favorite action sequences(great to show off your setup in front of friends).

LandoSpeeder2
Here's the deal, muppit Yoda is awesome for the OT considering he doesn't do much, Now in the PT the CG Yoda is very necessary. I like the muppit Yoda better for the Ot and the CG Yoda for the PT.

DarthAJ

hunchy
I see all your points and they make sense. I agree, that the OT puppet...great, great, great. It definately worked for the OT. I understand that it would be hard to use a puppet all the time obviously in the PT. However, I think Dodo brought up a point I would like to continue.

I know there's no point in it now, but I think he would have worked as a puppet, while sitting and talking, and while fighting could easily have been CG. Just my thoughts.

TheForceSupreme
Originally posted by hunchy

I know there's no point in it now, but I think he would have worked as a puppet, while sitting and talking, and while fighting could easily have been CG. Just my thoughts.

Not if they used the TPM puppet. That thing is/was hideous.

Captain REX
The TPM puppet was definitely the worst idea EVER. It was ugly and looked like a Yoda on crack.

The ESB and ROTJ puppet worked for it's era, I suppose, as Hunchy said.

However, the switching between puppet and CGI would have been too obvious, if they had used the puppet for talking and CG for fighting.

As one of the people behind making CGI Yoda do his thing, "It would have been awkward to throw a puppet around on wire with a lightsaber..."

Holy_Bum
Yea, it is somewhat strange seeing the sudden swtich in yoda. If they had used CGI in TPM, and then slowly aged him up until he looked like what he does in ESB and ROTJ, that mgiht haev worked.

I do like the new yoda though, mainly because of the facial expressions. Also, the added movement such as saber fighting is a big plus.

Its just all depends on how much you fell in love with the original.

Captain REX
Indeedy. Like many have said, puppet was great for the original trilogy. Prequels were no so puppetish.

((The_Anomaly))
Sorry puppet yoda lovers, I have to say that the CG yoda is far superior, in expressions, actions and in every way more real. the CG is fantastic and if lucas has his way hes gonna replace the old puppet yoda with the GC yoda in the OT. and i hope he does....so you may not be seeing much of the old Yoda if lucas does what he wants...

hunchy
mmm...if you used Yoda for CG doing the shots were he was spinning around, he's moving so fast you can't tell...then on the closeups you'd have the puppet for faceshots....But oh well...

hunchy
The puppet will always be superior andmore realistic looking.

Alliance
what?!! No. Look at episode I, this has been said hundereds of times...he looks HORRIBLE! ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!!!!!! I'd rather have the digital one than that...thing.

DeVi| D0do
ESB puppet > AOTC CG > TPM puppet

big grin

((The_Anomaly))
no, see i dont like the puppet yoda. I think the GC yoda looks better and not necessarily more 'real' since its CG, but the GC yoda has more feeling, especially in his eyes. far better in my opinion.

DeVi| D0do
I think his expressions in ESB and ROTJ are fine... but yea, he has more freedom in CG

Jedi Priestess
Bring back the puppet! yes

Mist
let us never speak of the puppet in TPM ever again.....

Mist
Originally posted by TheForceSupreme

If you look carefully you will notice that as a puppet the hair was mainly around his ears. Now it's just all over the place plus he looks kinda....chubby. laughing

well, youd probably get skinnier living in a swamp for 20yrs eating crap laughing

ESB>nothing wrong
TPM>*shudders at thought*
AOTC>nothing really wrong, but a few animations looks spastic
ROTS>So far, so good.

they should had like a puppet for the scene where he just sits there and talks, and CG for action.

no more, no lessstick out tongue

DARTH STEVIOUS
The tpm yoda puppet was a younger version of yoda thats why he looked so different to the others as hes is ament to get older and then start to die i must admit though a cg yoda in TPM would be better so then it continues through nicley. I reackon he will rerealse the TPM ATOC AND ROTS with added effects and im hoping yoda will be changed to cg all the way through.

DeVi| D0do
yea, I think it's inevitable... it will happen some day

Smegulated
i wouldn't have liked it if they'd mixed it up with some puppet and some cg it would have been too jarring. like both though, the puppet is legendary but the cg is a lot more of a character.

Grand Moff Gav
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
Bring back the puppet! yes

ah jedi prestess has been found at last!

I liked the puppet in the OT but he looked siily in EpI and the CGI Yoda allows his character to advance and become a "Player" in the films not just some old wise guy who only gives advice

Grand Moff Gav
Originally posted by DARTH STEVIOUS
The tpm yoda puppet was a younger version of yoda thats why he looked so different to the others as hes is ament to get older and then start to die i must admit though a cg yoda in TPM would be better so then it continues through nicley. I reackon he will rerealse the TPM ATOC AND ROTS with added effects and im hoping yoda will be changed to cg all the way through.

WHaaaaaaaaaaaa! the pupet yoda in the OT was great it made him real. He looks good in ATOC but he lacks the actual realness,

darthvinss
the one in TPM shoudnt have not been filmed, it is too awfull... about the last yoda in EPIII I think its the best one we ever seen, IMHO...

Sans_Fi
nobody cares about the 22 years that pass since EP3-EP5?? he has lived in Dagobah, of course he is now thiner, and has less hair (Its less the change from EP3-EP5 than the one from EP1-EP2)

The problem i get with the CG Yoda, is when he is angry, he frowns too much and the nose gets really small, he looks like a baby.

Mist
Originally posted by Sans_Fi
nobody cares about the 22 years that pass since EP3-EP5?? he has lived in Dagobah, of course he is now thiner, and has less hair (Its less the change from EP3-EP5 than the one from EP1-EP2)

see my comment?

Originally posted by Mist
well, youd probably get skinnier living in a swamp for 20yrs eating crap laughing

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Imaginary
TPM Yoda: Possibly the worst thing I have ever seen.

AOTC/ROTS: He's ok I suppose.

ESB/ROTJ: Own!

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Grand Moff Gav
ah jedi prestess has been found at last!

blink was I lost?

Mist
yeah, i havent seen you around much either...

Imaginary
I have stick out tongue

Mist
stick out tongue

barand1
the CG is much better. It's only because you know he is CG that it doesn't look real.

Pogel
He'll never look "real" and he certainly never did.
I very much liked Frank Oz's performance in ESB, he made that ugly rubber puppet (which reportedly also was not working properly) come to life, which is a great achievment and which made the character so charming in the first place.
The TPM Yoda, I don't think I need to elaborate his flaws.
Digital Yoda is probably the best decision regarding Yoda or any other character yet.
I'd rather have a Yoda (or any creature) that does not look 100%, but can actually act and emote. It adds another dimension to the character.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Mist
yeah, i havent seen you around much either...

Sorry embarrasment Not posting here much anymore.......I'm occupied in another place.

ickeris2003
I believe the original yoda will always be in our thoughts because he was original and kicked ass. But I really enjoy the new yoda because he has more things to do unlike you can use with a puppet.

simond
i kinda agree,,,lucas has gone too far with the cgi, a couple of examples, yoda vs dooku in epII,, give me a f*ckin break, one minute hes walkin round like an old man, all of a sudden he leeping round like a crazy monkey, almost like lucas is takin the piss. also dunno weather anyone spoted this but in one of the webdocs, when dooku does a force push on obi1, looked so fake the way he flipped back, i mean they could of used some wire work or somthin to pull him back instead of the cheesy cgi shiat....(leave cgi to space battles).

Pogel
Why do people use so many swear words hear and other SW related sites? (MF for example)
It's the internet, yes, but it's not very kind or readable to wrap reasonable opinions in such a disgusting shell.
I'm part of some other communities, nowhere I read the same amount of tasteless language then here.

Is it just that you are < 12 years old or are you simply not smart enough to put it in proper English?

This really upsets me.

((The_Anomaly))
thas exaclty what i think, and yea...what was up with TPM yoda, lucas needs to go back and redo that with CG. it wouldent be THAT big a deal since yoda had so few scenes in TPM

XX Emperor XX
Yoda looks incredible thank god for CG...without it Yoda wouldn't be able to have any fight scenes cause he'd be a puppet..I also agree that lucas needs to go back and redo TPM Yoda thats the worse Yoda looked in any of episodes.

Lord Banshee
I absolutely agree with the starter of this topic. The digital Yoda might look nicer but it takes away all the magic that the character has developed in ESB and ROTJ. I always said the same about the swordfights. Yoda shouldnt even have a lightsaber, he's the wise wizard who solves the problems with his head and not with his weapon.

The puppet has much more feeling than the digital character.

The Hippy King
The new Yoda when he isn't fighting looks crap and unreal and WAY to old as the trilogy yoda looks younger. BUT the new yoda when fighting looks better than them all(and im not diisin the old yoda its just cgi verus puppet cgi all the way).

hunchy
I think the OT puppet is always the superior one. For people to diss it, they must have no taste. That puppet had great detail, and Frank Oz's work was amazing. He wasn't meant to do much obviously, and it totally worked 100% because he was meant to be old and slow.

Yes I prefer the CG Yoda to the PT one.

ImperialPEZ
I think on this Episode, they have gotten it the closest so far.

Doing a side by side, it is pretty close feature to feature.

I think the other tough thing is lighting. All the swamp shots have very different lighting from what we have seen in the prequels. If you take a look at the posted image from inside Yoda's hut and compare it, it is amazingly close.

DenKi
The only reason is why everyone thinks hes so different is because we dont really see him move/walking more than 5 Meters

hunchy
No its actually because he's computer generated. There is just a different feel because of it. He doesn't look as real, detailed, more cartoony, which gives Yoda a different feel.

HOWEVER, I thought he looks very good in Episode 3, improved over the Episode 2 one. Here's also the thing that I noticed:

He looks great sometimes in Episode 2 and bad sometimes in Episode 2. And the reason is is that different people work on different scenes. I noticed I love some scenes with him, others are not as good. Some are amazing in fact. And I think in Episode 3, he looks mostly like the great shots from the 2nd, besides a few that don't look to be that great.

I also think that if Yoda hadn't been a puppet before, I would have loved his CGI in the movie, I think its just the character being CG that throws me off at first.

Another cool thing I read in Premiere magazine as far as fx in Episode 3, is that the scene were Luke and Leia give birth, was done by animitronics instead of CG which is awesome. They then pasted real babies faces over the animatronic ones...Pretty cool. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

((The_Anomaly))
i diddent know that, thats weird

Knowone
both yodas are cool
i don't why people don't like the CG yoda

Grand Moff Gav
i like him

Milosz006
The OT Yoda was amazing, it looked real. Real as in you'd almost believe he was an actual being from another planet and GL just told the world he was a muppet. As for the OT Yoda being expressionless, that is a bold-faced lie. The real being that played Yoda in the OT will hunt you down and eat your spleen, all while wearing a bemused smile.

The PT CG Yoda eats donkey balls, not spleens. Puppets always look realer because they are real.

hunchy
Originally posted by Milosz006
The OT Yoda was amazing, it looked real. Real as in you'd almost believe he was an actual being from another planet and GL just told the world he was a muppet. As for the OT Yoda being expressionless, that is a bold-faced lie. The real being that played Yoda in the OT will hunt you down and eat your spleen, all while wearing a bemused smile.

The PT CG Yoda eats donkey balls, not spleens. Puppets always look realer because they are real.

Speak the word brother. I heartily agree with you.

Grand Moff Gav
long live the OT yoda

TheForceSupreme
Originally posted by Milosz006

Word son. WORD!!! eek! cool

Red Superfly
Anyone that even disputes puppet Yoda - go watch Return Of The Jedi right now.

I was watching Jedi yesterday, and because I have been on this forum, looking at all these pics of CGI Yoda from Episode III, ROTJ Yoda absolutely blew me away.

I had gotten used to CGI Yoda for a while, but when I saw the puppet again I thought "Holy shit that looks amazing". There is no substitute.

The way his ears bend like real ears when he lies in bed, the way he moves, with realistic twitches, it all looks so life-like. He truly is a creature, on set, talking to Luke Skywalker.

Please just go and watch Return of The Jedi again, Yoda really does look fantastic comparred to the prequels.

Jedi Priestess
Dont need to, I KNOW the puppet owns CGI Yoda! yes

SithSpy
easily....the puppets awesome, but if you look at what the character had to do in the PT then you can see why they had to go CG, it would have been more than obvious if puppet yoda walked in and then CG yoda dueled Dooku

Red Superfly
Originally posted by SithSpy
easily....the puppets awesome, but if you look at what the character had to do in the PT then you can see why they had to go CG, it would have been more than obvious if puppet yoda walked in and then CG yoda dueled Dooku

Yeah but a part of me thinks that Lucas only made Yoda do all those flips BECAUSE he was CGI, and BECAUSE HE COULD.

Besides, I think they screwed that fight up completely anyway. Obi-Wan vs Dooku was pathetic, Anakin vs Dooku was nothing more than a sissy dance that looked way too choreographed, and Yoda vs Dooku was a waste of screen time (and Dooku at one point isnt even fighting in Yodas direction).

We didn't need CGI Yoda until Ep III really, for when he fights Sidious. He shouldn't have even have fought Dooku, Mace shoulda fought Dooku instead, in order to buff him up and add chemistry between the two ex-friends.

((The_Anomaly))
I still like the CG yoda better then the puppet yoda..

hunchy
Red Superfly I agree with all your points basically. However, while the Return of the Jedi puppet is great too, I think the ESB one is even better. And yes the OT puppet was amazing.

Milosz006
Superfly nails in again

Except I liked the Ani-Dooku duel, I thought it was the most visually impressive and my person favorite duel of all 5 movies, I just wish it wasn't so short.

Jedi2005
Hey when did Jedi Priestess come back??

Red Superfly
What I'm saying is, there's a place for both CGI and puppet Yoda.

Puppet Yoda shoud have been used for any scenes where he ISN'T moving, or doesn't need to be fully on screen, or when he's sat down.

CGI Yoda should have only have been used when needed - because as great as he looks, he just doesn't stand up to scrutiny as well as the puppet.

Lord Banshee
The puppet is so real and alive. Its somuch better than the ninja turtle version.

darthmaul1
If you guys don't like the new Yoda, let me ask you this do you own episode II and are you going to see episode III?
In my opinion they are both fantastic.
you people must be on glue to not like the CG yoda.

Alliance
They both have their place and time. But if Lucas was going to use a puppet for the PT and It looked like TPM?... What the f**k? ...so int that case its OK he used CG. But everyone (meaning me) stilll loves the old puppet.

SpyCspider
ok, i know i will TOTALLY get ripped on for bringing this up, but could the way CG Yoda looked be an adaptation for PC-ness? I'm Asian and when I watched the original trilogies, Yoda resembled the stereotypical "Chinese or Japanese sage", at least his face did. He almost looked like a Mr. Miyagi or that old chinese dude in Big Trouble in Little China. Crap, I have old uncles with that kind of face...seriously. The wrinkles, the wider region between the nose and upper lips, even the eyes resembled like a kung-fu master/sage. This was in the 70s and 80s when cheesy kung-fu films were introduced to the US so could Lucas have been influenced by what he's seen in them? Sh*t, even the way he talked sounded like the way some stereotypical master would say to his students. And now we're in the 21st century, it would probably be wiser to make aliens look, well...more "alien-ish"...more green, rather than gray, for the sake of PCness.

Please don't start calling me discriminatory or whatnot for bringing this up. I just thought it would raise a few discussions.

Peace

hunchy
Originally posted by darthmaul1
If you guys don't like the new Yoda, let me ask you this do you own episode II and are you going to see episode III?
In my opinion they are both fantastic.
you people must be on glue to not like the CG yoda.

Darth Maul doesn't seem to understand other people's opinions, and if they disagree with them he tends to get frustrated and angry. He needs to chill.

Red Superfly
darthmaul 1 - DUDE! Did you even read my post? I said there's a time and place for CGI - when it is NEEDED.

We don't need a CGI Yoda for his sitting down scenes, just like there's no need for an all-CGI Clone Army. It just still isn't good enough. The best film-makers tend to use CGI only when absolutely necessary. Take Terminator and Jurassic Park for instance.

And SpyCSpider - I also agree. Yoda was so lovable - he reminded me a little of Pai Mei from Kill Bill and all those typical wise old masters from Samurai movies. Yoda even had a very strict side to him in the OT, which he seems to have lost in the PT. He has a very oriental side to him in the OT. Even when he turns from crazy-Yoda into wise old sage Yoda, he's still cracking jokes and reminding us that he still rocks. Even on his death bed he could bring a smile to everyones faces ("when 900 years old you reach....."wink. He would often chuckle and still be a very likable, sympathetic character.

The PT Yoda, in general, not just in looks, but character too, is just, well, NOT Yoda. He's all serious, and has standoffs like an american gunslinger. Where's the witty puns and memorable lines? The light-hearted Yoda is what we want to see, the kind of Yoda that inspires motivation. In the PT all he does is mope around and worry, that ain't Yoda. Yoda was the kind of guy you could rely on to turn any frown upside down, not make it worse.

OT Yoda: "Try not, do, or do not, there is no try" - Awesome OT line

What's Yodas most memorable PT line?

AOTC Yoda: "Around the survivors, a perimeter create" - WTH?

I wouldn't mind about the CGI in all honesty, if the character itself wasn't such a blatent characature of his OT self (see his dialogue in the PT comparred to the OT for proof of this). We need balance.

Lord Banshee
I agree

kiadimundijedi
I think All the Yadas look Great. Except for the Phantom Menace Yoda... God Terrible

SpyCspider
Sometimes...."less is MORE"....the less Yoda does, the more mysterious and awe-inspiring he is. When I watched CG Yoda, granted I was amazed at his martial arts abilities against Dooku, I was kind of disappointed that he turned "less sage, more power ranger." The Kung-fu pose?? That was totally used for a younger audience. It was cheesy and killed my respect for his image. A master Jedi shouldnt' have to look aggressive....especially towards his former pupils. Sh*t, Dooku looked more reserved than Yoda in that scene.

AND there were DEFINITELY times in the OT that YOda talked in "subject then predicate" form. He did NOT always switch the order and talk in typical Yoda mannerism. Lines such as "around the survivors, a perimeter create" are OVERKILL to his character. It's one thing to switch the noun and verb order if it's some wise proverbial line, but c'mon, nobody shouts an order like that during the heat of battle.

Gangularis
Originally posted by DARTH STEVIOUS

yoda is like 900 years old.. you think 20 years would change his appearance THAT much??

I hear that lucas is going to replace tpm yoda with cgi.. but i doubt he'll make the OT yoda digital.. He probably would have already. Plus i think more than anything, that would be a huge slap in the face to all the work everyone put into making OT yoda believable. OT muppet yoda worked, and I think that's one thing GL will leave as it is.

DeVi| D0do
Yoda doesn't need to be CG in TPM because all he does is sit there and talk...

But they really screwed up that puppet so I would definitely welcome CG Yoda if he does decide to shange him.

The OT Yoda needs to stay though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with him!

kiadimundijedi
I heard He will replace TPM Yoda with a CG Gollum

maboy
i think yoda in EPI its the worst puppet inthe history of puppets, but one kinda imagines the EPV and VI yoda and gets relieved. as for the II and III cg characters.. those are relatives of Yoda, for all I care

maboy
the CG yoda does not suck, but surely does not fit physically, or emmotionally for that matter

maboy
the Episode I yoda DOES SUCK BIG TIME

Ast Rofan
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/6458/edit4vp.gif

DeVi| D0do
http://images.killermovies.com/forums/styles/blue/edit.gif

.:Space Opera:.
the big thing that i notice about the differences between ESB yoda and PQ CG yoda is that the eyes have alot less expression in them. thats sad to say that a CG character has less expression than a puppet, but its true.

Paola
Originally posted by maboy
the Episode I yoda DOES SUCK BIG TIME

live with it

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.