PS2: Should I Get a Japanese, or Mod my American?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JKozzy
I've had my PS2 for quite awhile now, probably about 1.5 years. Well, Japan's got a lot of stuff that I want, and really the game thats put me over the edge is FFX-2 International + Last Mission... I want to play it. That, KH: Final Mix, and a bunch of others thatll never make it to America. Should I Mod my PS2, and void the warranty (if theres any left?) or buy a Japanese PS2? Modding sounds hard.. and I don't want to destroy my PS2, but it's cheaper it looks.. what do all you guys have (mainly sith) for your PS2, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each, and what should I do? Major dillema sad, thanks for your help smile

sith_darth_jay
if you wanna keep the warranty, buy a japanese PS2

.....if not, mod your PS2. that way you can play jap games and PAL games aswell (if your TV is tri-system). i don't know how ur gonna mod it, or who would do it, but remember that'll you be taken quite a risk (if could wreck your console)

the advantages: play everygame available (even pirates)
disadvantages:you could end with nothing

right now i don't have much time to tell you everything, i'll come back tomorrow and give you some more advice... bye wink

Trinity_Matrix
I'd suggest getting a Japanese one, even though they go for about $300 (though I can get one for $200 since there's a Japanese market by me). Modding PS2's is, from what I heard, a lot trickier than modding other game systems and it's easy to screw up and ruin your PS2.

On that, I reeally want FFX-2 International: Final Mission myself yes

JKozzy
I was leaning towards getting another system; I honestly don't want to hurt my pride and joy, plus the warranty is a must sad
I've been looking online for JPS2s, and on eBay I've seen a few, but I don't know if I should trust them... and if I don't, where do I get one? Would anyone have any reliable JPS2 sources?

sith_darth_jay
i don't just how you're moding your PS2, i bought mine already modded, so i did had a certain warranty.

i know that they (technicians) install a chip inside the PS2, but that chip varies according to which PS you have. there are other ways to have a mildly mod PS, and that's using a gameshark, but i don't really know how that works.
either way you'll lose your warranty sad

so far, i've only had a problem with one PS2 game, and that was LOTR FOTR, so i bought GTA3 instead, but the store owner told me that maybe it was cuz the lens is dirty (it must be, it's so dusty) and with one PS1 game FF anthology sad .
besides that, no other problem..................so far...

if you could get a JPS, it would be much better, but it'll be expensive too.

if you have a certain warranty, like i did, mod it, if not, then don't

JKozzy
Yeah, I'm thinking against modding. My parents aren't going to be too happy about that, since it's not exactly the most *legal* or *ethical* of things to do... so the JPS is probably the way to go... I have a friend that makes a trip or two to Taiwan every year, maybe I can convince her to pick me up one smile

VilleValo462
hahah you do that thumb up

§pearhead
dude...when jonny makes his trips to vancouver, he had gotten a mod chip once. blink i can ask him about it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.