Triliogy for newcomers (spoilers?)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gord
hey guys,
If a newcomer gets into star wars and watches them 1-6, (as george lucas wants us to, as one 12 hour movie) will "no, I'm your father" seem as powerful? Or will it just be redundant? we know this is the story about darth vader, and in rots we find out he gives birth to luke, won't it seem a little less powerful when he says it in esb? Or do they not mention his name? Just a thought I had, as I think vader in esb is one of the best things in the whole series, I don't want him to seem any less awsome to any star wars newcomers!

Darth Blender

Lord Banshee
Are you really from Japan?

Mist
yeah, it is one of the best things in the whole ot...

which is why now GL has ruined it by screwing around with the pt...

but everyone should watch in 'proper' order anyway.....ie 4 5 6 1 2 3.

Lord Banshee
456 = starwars

123 = for the fans

HateWork
when i have a kid (hopefully that stays non plural), i'd like him/her to see it in the order i & most people did, OT first, then PT.

that won't be for a few years though. before then though, i can turn my friends daughter to the darkside away from her fathers evil matrix fanboy ways.

Mist
Originally posted by HateWork
when i have a kid (hopefully that stays non plural),

laughing laughing laughing

good news, your having twins!
*jumps off bridge*

big grin

HateWork
if i ever found out i was having twins, i'd had a giddy laugh to myself and say "luke...and leia"...then i'd run screaming tearing my hair out.

Darth Nazgul
When I have them all on DVD im going to watch them the way they were made
4-5-6-1-2-3

LanİeWindu™
That is the proper way of doing it...

Whenever I have kids, they will watch the trilogy the first few times as 4-5-6 then 1-2-3, after they are used to the story then we will watch them 1-2-3-4-5-6.

Darth Blender
Originally posted by Lord Banshee
456 = starwars

123 = for the fans

Right words and nothing to add!

big grin

Darth Nazgul
I think it is important to watch the OT first....I dont really know why but it just feels right. Not saying that the PT isnt as important (its damn important) but i just think its important to understand the OT 1st then watch the prequals

Gord
wow, what an amazing number of responses in such a short time! I don't want to turn this into a discussion about the PT or lucas bashing, because almost every thread in every star wars forum is already about that, but I just think some of the things happening in the PT need to line up a little better, but at the same time I really like the way some of the things DO line up. I think the luke and vader relationship is one of the most important things in the OT, and not every person that watches star wars will have parents as wise as us to show them the right order and fill their heads with the magic of an untampered triliogy. I just hope the luke thing is done discreetly in rots, so the line in ESB still means as much as it always does. and Lord Banshee, I live in japan now but I'm origionally from canada. Here, rots comes out in july. JULY. I've read this forum every day for a few months now (but for some reason just started posting today) but on may 19th, I'm ignoring this board for 2 months, I can't stand to watch you guys gloat about the movie I can't see! At least with my ticket purchase (3 months in advance, haha) I get a free vader lightsaber keychain! Ok this post is long enough, haha

LanİeWindu™
Originally posted by Gord
wow, what an amazing number of responses in such a short time! I don't want to turn this into a discussion about the PT or lucas bashing, because almost every thread in every star wars forum is already about that, but I just think some of the things happening in the PT need to line up a little better, but at the same time I really like the way some of the things DO line up. I think the luke and vader relationship is one of the most important things in the OT, and not every person that watches star wars will have parents as wise as us to show them the right order and fill their heads with the magic of an untampered triliogy. I just hope the luke thing is done discreetly in rots, so the line in ESB still means as much as it always does. and Lord Banshee, I live in japan now but I'm origionally from canada. Here, rots comes out in july. JULY. I've read this forum every day for a few months now (but for some reason just started posting today) but on may 19th, I'm ignoring this board for 2 months, I can't stand to watch you guys gloat about the movie I can't see! At least with my ticket purchase (3 months in advance, haha) I get a free vader lightsaber keychain! Ok this post is long enough, haha

Oh man, I feel for you bro, seriously.

If I were you I'd fly back to Canada just to see ROTS when everyone else does. big grin

Darth Blender

Red Superfly
But Gord, you live in Japan, you get all the video games and techy stuff first. Japan rocks.

hazkid
i would like to watch all of them without stopps for chaging dvds, credits, lucas film logos, yada yada 1>2>3>4>5>6.

JohnConstantine
Does General Grievous have 4 arms in this movie like he did in "Clone Wars"?

Stunrun

we know this is the story about darth vader, and in rots we find out he gives birth to luke

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

TheElectricFox
Hey gord, what prefecture do you live in???

Nice to see newcomers who actually post intelligent ideas

vader519
Yes Grevious has four arms like the clone wars cartoon.

macgeek2005
Heres what should be done. Luke's name is never mentioned in Episode III. and In episode V, when he says "I am your father" it will be even MORE powerfull than before. Because the viewer will be like "OMG SO THAT'S THE BABY FROM EPISODE III OMFG".

It will be Mind Boggling.

Darth_Vader05
Yes this was a good thread to post welcome Gord to KMC when Episode III comes out i will watch them from 1 - 2 - go to the movies to see 3 - and then go home and watch 4 - 5 - 6 so yeah im going to stay up all night cant wait until May 19!!

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by macgeek2005
Heres what should be done. Luke's name is never mentioned in Episode III. and In episode V, when he says "I am your father" it will be even MORE powerfull than before. Because the viewer will be like "OMG SO THAT'S THE BABY FROM EPISODE III OMFG".

It will be Mind Boggling.

That's stupid... they'd still know that Luke is Anakin's son because we see Obi-Wan drop Luke off with Owen.

They only way to watch the Saga/Sextet is IV, V, VI, I, II, III

macgeek2005
But if luke's name is never revealed in Episode III. Then this is what you would see.

Episode III: An infant boy, son of padme and anakin, being taken to Owen and Beru Lars, on Tatooine.

Episode IV: A Twenty year old kid working on their farm (what happened to the baby that was taken there in Episode III is yet to be revealed). This young man goes on many adventures, and in Episode V, Darth Vader Tells him "I am your father". AMAZING!!!!

DeVi| D0do
You'd have to be pretty stupid to not be able to figure out that the baby Obi Wan left with Owen is Luke...

Besides, everyone knows Luke is Vader's son... even people who have never seen the films...

Gord
Hey everyone thanks for the welcome! I read this board so often I actually forgot that I hadn't posted yet no expression

Red Superfly - that's true, we had the psp here ever since I can remember, then it just got released in north america, it's really wierd when people are getting excited about something you've already played at the store like 100 times, haha.

TheElectricFox - I live in Nara prefecture, about a month ago I lived in Osaka prefecture. Nara is kind of older japan, but it's a very touristy town. Osaka to me, is Japan, salarymen, pachinko, crowds, crazy fashion, bars everywhere, crazy food.. yeah, I miss Osaka!

Darth_Vader05 - I'm going to be doing the same, kind of, episode 1 and 2 on July 8th, then episode 3 on the 9th, then I fly back to Canada!? so I'll have to somehow squeeze the other ones in there somehow.

I just hope this thing plays out as smoothly as you're reasoning, macgeek2005, I don't think they should've shown the kids at all in rots, and have padme's fate kind of just left up to the imagination to flow better with Leia's "my mother died when I was very young" - how much do you remember when you're like, a day old? Ah, alot of this trilogy linking stuff is done very poorly, the potential was there to make it amazing. Like I said earlier though, alot of it is amazing for me. This post has sure gone a few wierd places, how did grevious get in here? haha

.:Space Opera:.
yuck.....japanese products....no offense to the japanese but, i love XBOX!!!

atila the great
i would see them like this: 4,1,5,2,3,6 kinda like a tarantino film

i guess you guys can figure why the order i chose, all the important info is preserved just right. if you dont i'll explain later, right now im too tired

Gord
that's an interesting order, and I can see your reasoning, I've never thought of watching them like that but it makes sense. Spaceopera, they absolutally hate xbox over here. Well, not hate, but I have seen only one xbox advertisement in the whole country. Everything is playstation, and gamecube is a far second, xbox is sold in stores and stuff but nobody seems to pay it much interest. Quite odd indeed!

IceWithin
the first time I saw star wars it was episode I, and frankly I thought it was boring few months after that I saw episode IV, V & VI, then I saw episode I and I liked it then I saw episode II and I loved it big grin

Darth Blender

Fieperskaivu
I want to go back in time, not watch star wars and then watch all 6. That would be awesome...although i'd lose like 10 years of star wars...never mind. smile

AntniEllison
I like to think of it as pretending the star wars films were narrated and at the end of episode 6 the narrator says "now here's what happened in the beginning" so the best way to watch them will be 4-5-6-1-2-3 but some people might like to watch them in proper number order.

ubidoobascooby
Hmm.. I did skip a few posts so if this has been said.. meh..

But everyones been suggesting that you still should watch it OT then NT.

Has anyone thought of how much more NT would rock if no one had seen any starwars films yet?

It works either way:

If you watch 123 first.. your gonna be like.. man anikan will never turn... then.. holy flame balls didn't see that comin..
But as said, the "luke, I am your father" pitch won't be dramatic.. it'll be a repedative kick in the nads...

same story, watch it 4,5,6 you get the intense "luke.. I'm u're dad!" but NT comes.. and you know it all. No twists.. no drama.. just HOW it all unveils...

I think if you haven't seen any of the trilogies... it doesn't matter where you start.. either 1 or 4...

But for petey boys sake... george has no pitty for those who havent seen starwars yet.

NEW FAN - "man oh man.. can't wait to see episode 3.. ani no doubt becomes the chosen one right... (movie trailer "jediaction2" airs).. oh.. ani turns to the darkside, papatines the emporer... well.. time to go shoot myself in the nuts.. thanks george!" laughing out loud

kashmircat
Originally posted by ubidoobascooby

Has anyone thought of how much more NT would rock if no one had seen any starwars films yet?

It works either way:

If you watch 123 first.. your gonna be like.. man anikan will never turn... then.. holy flame balls didn't see that comin..

I don't know about that. A lot of the appeal of the PT derives from the fact that it is a tragedy and that the audience wonders how a nice guy like anakin becomes a badass like darth vader.

Stunrun
Originally posted by Darth_Vader05
Yes this was a good thread to post welcome Gord to KMC when Episode III comes out i will watch them from 1 - 2 - go to the movies to see 3 - and then go home and watch 4 - 5 - 6 so yeah im going to stay up all night cant wait until May 19!!

There gonna have a Star Wars marathon at the premiere in London, which starts at 7am. But there showing them in order of there release, but thankfully at the end they will show ROTS for the first timebig grin since im going to the premiere, ill make sure i let you all know how good it isbig grin plz let me know if anyone else is going on May 16th

ubidoobascooby
Originally posted by kashmircat
I don't know about that. A lot of the appeal of the PT derives from the fact that it is a tragedy and that the audience wonders how a nice guy like anakin becomes a badass like darth vader.

Yes yes... that's all part of the point. It works in just the opposite if you haven't seen 4 5 6. People wonder what will still happen to "poor" anikan and they still get the suspense watching 1 2 3 not knowing weather he would turn or not... assuming you aren't spoiled by trailers.

This is the point... either trilogy you watch first.. you get close to equal suspence, the plot twists/suprises are equally as big.

watch NT first, your OT suprise is spoiled, watch OT first, your NT suprise is spoiled... get it?

Hense my statement.. doesn't really matter which order you watch it in in the long run. I refer to the prophecy of the director who has brought balance, to the trilogys...... eek!

Gord
hey guys,
yeah it's a great idea to watch OT and then PT, but 10 years from now, some kid will go to the movie store and pick up star wars out of curiosity, not knowing anything about it. He's most likely going to watch 1-6, most people don't pick up books and start halfway through. I was thinking about it tonight, and even though they don't mention Luke's name in rots, they mention the skywalker name in ANH, and all throughout the PT they mention skywalker, anakins last name, so by the time darth reveals his big secret, that guy with his new rentals will just think "yeah, I know..?" it will lose alot of the impact, just like how the scene near the beginning of ANH will lose some relevance when obi wan is telling luke about his father, because not only do we know all this, but we know that most of it didn't really happen the way he explained it. I love the entire saga so much, I just want people 10 years from now to see it through the same eyes I do.. aah!

ubidoobascooby
hey guys,
yeah it's a great idea to watch OT and then PT, but 10 years from now, some kid will go to the movie store and pick up star wars out of curiosity, not knowing anything about it. He's most likely going to watch 1-6, most people don't pick up books and start halfway through. I was thinking about it tonight, and even though they don't mention Luke's name in rots, they mention the skywalker name in ANH, and all throughout the PT they mention skywalker, anakins last name, so by the time darth reveals his big secret, that guy with his new rentals will just think "yeah, I know..?" it will lose alot of the impact, just like how the scene near the beginning of ANH will lose some relevance when obi wan is telling luke about his father, because not only do we know all this, but we know that most of it didn't really happen the way he explained it. I love the entire saga so much, I just want people 10 years from now to see it through the same eyes I do.. aah!

heh........ that's what we all just said.... erm

Gord
uh, yeah embarrasment I would say something about that, but I'm far too preoccupied with staring at your new sig..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.