Will Episode III be too political?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ShadowKing
GL was part of the generation who lived through the Vietnam era and in recent interviews, he refers to the similarities of the times when a larger power "tries to take over" a smaller country using advanced technology. With Senate Republic scenes and Obi-Wan talking about democracy, will ROTS be a "blue state" allegory about the abuse of power in the US Gov't?

IMHO - I just want a fun and exciting movie sans politics embarrasment

SithSpy
I think that politics are a neccessity in ROTS we have to know exactly why we go from republic to empire, but worry not my friend the politics will not be boring and there will be plenty of action

ab2421
Footage on the Trivial Pursuit DVD of Anakin and Padme that I saw was very cheesy... a married couple deeply in love engaging in a heated debate about politics just may not work.

SithSpy
why not, they are basically both politicians and strong willed ppl at that point, and the result of their arguing is bigger than just Vote Bush or Vote Kerry

tlbauerle
Personally ... I think the reason TPM and AOTC have such thin plots or lack of story development is because it they not political enough. The films tried to glean over political plots and lost the audience because they ended up being too vague.

The political angle will solidify the plot, but I don't expect too much plot from this one...as both prequels have been quite thin.

Darth Blender
Originally posted by tlbauerle
Personally ... I think the reason TPM and AOTC have such thin plots or lack of story development is because it they not political enough. The films tried to glean over political plots and lost the audience because they ended up being too vague.

The political angle will solidify the plot, but I don't expect too much plot from this one...as both prequels have been quite thin.

EP I had to introduce two important persons: Anakin and Qui-Gonn.
You will find that Qui-Gonn will become one of the most important characters in the ENTIRE Saga. cool

tpaquin
I'm of the opinion that the PT suffers the most from it's ties to politics, and becase of that, I'm hoping to see a lot less "we must not lose faith in democracy. Democracy democracy dictatorship?!" and more of just Star Wars fun. Politics are too heavy for a movies that's supposed to be innocent enjoyment.

ShadowKing
good point t-paq

the dialogue in the "love scenes" in AOTC was so annoyingly political...it seemed to have less to do with the SW universe than GL's views of what was happening in Washington

I think there will be references to the "politics of fear" creating an uber security state that needs more and more restrictions with mindless soldiers following orders and GL is making references to Bush, Republicans and Democrats, the Iraq War, and 9/11!

I read somewhere that in the Duel with Anakin, Obi says something like
"I stand for the Republic...I stand for Democracy!"

Ugh! wacko

Darth Jello
art immitates life

thejeditraitor
the problem is that most of the general public are f'in retards.
they have the attention span of a gnat and if something isn't blowing up they get bored and start picking their ass.

that being said we all want a lot of cool things blowing up because it's sw and all but the political parts are the parts that actuallly mean something.
they are supposed to make you think and most of these people don't like that because they get dizzy if they think too hard.

tpaquin
Originally posted by thejeditraitor
the problem is that most of the general public are f'in retards.
they have the attention span of a gnat and if something isn't blowing up they get bored and start picking their ass.

that being said we all want a lot of cool things blowing up because it's sw and all but the political parts are the parts that actuallly mean something.
they are supposed to make you think and most of these people don't like that because they get dizzy if they think too hard. All the "political" talk in the PT is so watered over that even a congressman would say, "this is stupid." Seriously, they use the word "Democracy" in every sentence. It begins to become too much of an allegory to World War II, in my opinion.

Darth Jello
that's cuz the cut most of it from the movie.

darthvinss
Originally posted by ShadowKing
With Senate Republic scenes and Obi-Wan talking about democracy, will ROTS be a "blue state" allegory about the abuse of power in the US Gov't?

IMHO, I think Lucas mix a lot of real references and mythology in the saga and in my case I think there are allusions to situation wanted by gouvernments like : using of fear, pointing on ennemy etc..
Not talkin' about usa in general, everywhere governments use these ways to have more power and more control...

MistaMandalore
I enjoy the political aspect..it makes the story interesting. The PT deals with the clone wars and the fall of the Republic..they HAVE to included the reasons for these politically motivated events. Wars very seldom just happen. And as far as people in love arguing about politics being unrealistic, my fiance' and I do just that..she's a damned hippy. big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.