Steven Spielberg gave ROTS Two Thumbs Up! *Spoilers*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bobafett81
I don't know if you guys went to the ILM Model Discussion in 500 Ballroom tonight, but Rick McCallum showed up and showed his reel. I was at the Ryan Church thing, which was sweet, but this was so much cooler because it was full Digital pristine projection and huge. They were having problems with the sound, which is why they showed it in the first place: as a test. The crowd went nuts, and it was a small crowd.

Highlights from the footage, which will be shown throughout the weekend:

The lightsaber fight between Anakin and ObiWan is FAST! Those guys twirl like no other!

Lots of Kashyyk.

Lots of space battle goodness.

Sidious's shuttle, carrying crispy Anakin, landing on Coruscant at the medical center.

First shots of Tantive IV landing on Alderaan. And wow does that look great!

Padme's funeral at the end

Yoda and Sidious in the Senate. Too cool for words. Yoda knocking Sidious back with his own lightning. Yoda hurling a pod. The full sequence of Yoda getting hurled back by force lightning (from long trailer).

Bail approaching the Clone Troopers at the temple.

Palpatine getting lighting deflected back at him by Mace in their fight.

Grievous fighting ObiWan on Utuapau. I'm a total believer on Grievous now. Too sweet.

The film is DONE. Rick did say that Lucas and himself watched the final digital copy on Wednesday, both being well pleased, along with Steven Spielberg who gave it two thumbs up.

http://www.theforce.net/episode3/story/C3_ROTS_Footage_at_ILM_Model_Discussion_91569.asp

SpyCspider
well obviously he'll give it 2 thumbs up..arne't they butt buddies or something?

HAROLD
Spielberg would be brave NOT to give it two thumbs up.

eXSBass
Excellent

HAROLD
Haha eXSBass, our avatars feature characters with the same exact expressions. laughing

obi_wans_beard
How many thumbs did Speilberg give the previous films?

Gord
/\ I was just going to say that, the same amount of eyes too no expression!

PVS
spielberg would give GL's skidmark stained underwear 'two thumbs up'.
really, we may as well here GL's review of his own movie roll eyes (sarcastic)

PVS
oh yeah, thanks for the spoiler tags.
i guess its just too much to f***ing ask, isnt it?

jedi2187
Steve has been a Star Wars fan since GL showed him that rough cut back in '77. If I was a friend of GL, and he showed me ROTS, of course I'd give him two thumbs up for the effort, and then wash his car for a month.

eXSBass
Originally posted by HAROLD
Haha eXSBass, our avatars feature characters with the same exact expressions. laughing

I concur big grin

simond
yeh i wouldnt get too excited about spielberg giving it two thumbs up,,,back when the phantom menace came out, spielberg said he thought it was the best in the saga..and watta ****in dissapointment that came out to be

macgeek2005
bobafett81, you've seen all of that footage that you listed??? Did you like it?

amity75
I remember after Spielberg saw TPM he said he turned to Saint Lucas and said "Oh! My! God!". Maybe he watched a different version of the movie to the one I saw.
OK, that was nasty, I like TPM just as much as any of the other SW movies. Which is a lot.

simond
he could of made a better job of TPM back in the 70's. hes just too obsessed with cgi and fogets about the damn story line. just prey to god that he has taken his head out of his arse and made this one into a classic

SW3HP4IJ4
Well, let's see-him and George Lucas, as well as Harrison Ford, are all trying to plan Indiana Jones 4, so why would he say anthing anti-George Lucas??

jedi2187
I think GL is over the "man, CGI is kewl!" phase, and is on the right track with this film (from what I've seen so far...).

from 1985 interview in From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga:
"Special effects is a means, a way of telling a story. Special effects without a story is a pretty boring thing."

drex
yeah wot else would he give it 3 thumbs and 2 big toes?

its not like he would diss his mate in public!

Saying that the film is crap!

bilb
Originally posted by PVS
spielberg would give GL's skidmark stained underwear 'two thumbs up'.
really, we may as well here GL's review of his own movie roll eyes (sarcastic)

Kinda graphic, but true nonetheless cool

macgeek2005
Originally posted by bobafett81
I don't know if you guys went to the ILM Model Discussion in 500 Ballroom tonight, but Rick McCallum showed up and showed his reel. I was at the Ryan Church thing, which was sweet, but this was so much cooler because it was full Digital pristine projection and huge. They were having problems with the sound, which is why they showed it in the first place: as a test. The crowd went nuts, and it was a small crowd.

Highlights from the footage, which will be shown throughout the weekend:

The lightsaber fight between Anakin and ObiWan is FAST! Those guys twirl like no other!

Lots of Kashyyk.

Lots of space battle goodness.

Sidious's shuttle, carrying crispy Anakin, landing on Coruscant at the medical center.

First shots of Tantive IV landing on Alderaan. And wow does that look great!

Padme's funeral at the end

Yoda and Sidious in the Senate. Too cool for words. Yoda knocking Sidious back with his own lightning. Yoda hurling a pod. The full sequence of Yoda getting hurled back by force lightning (from long trailer).

Bail approaching the Clone Troopers at the temple.

Palpatine getting lighting deflected back at him by Mace in their fight.

Grievous fighting ObiWan on Utuapau. I'm a total believer on Grievous now. Too sweet.

The film is DONE. Rick did say that Lucas and himself watched the final digital copy on Wednesday, both being well pleased, along with Steven Spielberg who gave it two thumbs up.

http://www.theforce.net/episode3/story/C3_ROTS_Footage_at_ILM_Model_Discussion_91569.asp

You have actually seen all of those scenes?

bilb
its been basically confirmed by more than one report that this WAS actually shown last nite..

macgeek2005
well.. for anyone who saw it. Did it look good?

bilb
I dont know!! We need a crafty hacker / detective to get it for us.... hehehhehehe cool

Red Superfly
Spielberg = Lucas' secret mistress.

They need to get a room, and fast.

darthmaul1
Spielberg liked all of them cause they are likable films, where you can sit back and have a lot of fun. Hey it's STAR WARS how can it not be an enjoyable film.

Sith Master X
Originally posted by darthmaul1
Spielberg liked all of them cause they are likable films, where you can sit back and have a lot of fun. Hey it's STAR WARS how can it not be an enjoyable film.

That's exactly it. Some people make themselves not like these films because the fuss over every little thing imaginable. That's not the case with everyone, but if some people would just let go and enjoy the movies for what they are, they might just have a good time with ROTS.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by PVS

from this bunch? of course laughing out loud

darthmaul1
I happy you agree with me sith master x
Alot of these guys are nit picking with the special effects, too much cg and cg characters, and that they can see all the imperfections, yeah right.
This is star wars what do they want? a character like DEX in a rubber suit? that would work

CBright7831
I think the only thing Spielberg and Lucas have disagreed on is digital filming. Lucas perfers digital, Spielberg perfers film.

jedi90
Originally posted by PVS
i guess its just too much to f***ing ask, isnt it?

well, the title of the thread did have *SPOILERS* written in it in big, black, bold letters. usually thats a clue. eek!

ArynCrinn
Really people...TPM and AOTC were good movies...people say they were bad because they were different from the originals. If I had one complaint about them, it would be the poor attempt at humour in some parts, not the story or the cgi. To do all those gungans, droids, and clones back in the 70s, would have been completely impossible to make look good, especially with the numbers needed to make it look like a real war. The story of the movies is important to set up the events in the original trilogy, sure there were some things not needed, but the rest is all important.

I think Steven really has no reason to not give episode 3 two thums up!

peluffo
Originally posted by jedi90
well, the title of the thread did have *SPOILERS* written in it in big, black, bold letters. usually thats a clue. eek!

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance laughing

Red Superfly
Mr. Lucas, I would have been expecting you to be holding Spielbergs' leash. I should have recognised you from your CGI bodyguards when I was brought on board.

Sith Master X
Originally posted by darthmaul1
I happy you agree with me sith master x
Alot of these guys are nit picking with the special effects, too much cg and cg characters, and that they can see all the imperfections, yeah right.

Yep, and if that's not enough, some people are already complaining over Episode 3's damn running time. laughing out loud

Red Superfly
Dude, people have a right to whine, and *****, and complain.

It's the only way things change. If everyone accepted everything they were given, we wouldn't have aeroplanes, we wouldn't have computers, we wouldn't have women or black people in high places, and we'd still burn witches at the stake.

Also, people tend to complain about these new Star Wars films for very fundamental reasons. The running time, although I personally don't think it should be any longer, is an issue because Lucas really has a LOT of stuff to cram in, it makes people wonder what character development time there will be.

Do I think EPisode III should be longer? Yes and No.

If Lucas had managed the timescale better, he wouldn't have ended up cutting A HUGE chunk of the film out. The fact he has had to cut a lot out shows how ill-prepared he was in the first place. It's a real shame his lack of foresight has led to so many scenes being deleted. What a complete waste.

Would I have thought Episode III should be longer when the PT's were first announced? Hell no.

Do I think Episode III should be longer now that we all know a lot of (character) scenes have been cut, and that the whole affair is now one big mess? Yes.

Oh well, that's what I think anyway. I'll still watch the movie, and if I see all-action and eye candy and crappy character development I'll consider it a waste only until that point.

Sith Master X
Yes people have every right to complain. But why is everyone getting all excited over the movie being too short if they haven't even seen it yet? Yes, you made an excellent point about character development, how much GL needs to fit into that amount of time, but I think people should see the movie first and at least give it a chance before they start saying it's too short and needs to be longer.

Red Superfly
Definitely dude, that's what I'm doing anyway.

I'm gonna be a bit annoyed if I don't see some banter between the characters, it's what made Star Wars so great.

I think most of the Obi-Wan and Anakin talky scenes in the space battle will hold up. Looks like they'll be very reminiscent of Han and Luke on the Death Star, constantly mocking/dissaproving of the other.

I heard the political scenes are to be cut, and that kinda bugged me the most. We had to sit through all that political garbage in Ep I and II, it would have made sense to have the MOST IMPORTANT political scenes in the entire saga to stay in. I hope we get to see those scenes of Bail and Mon Mothma planting the seeds of the rebellion. To think this could even be CONSIDERRED for a deleted scene is rediculous. It's a pivotal moment. If Lucas wants the saga to be complete, he better keep things like this in.

It's kinda like Lucas has made us sit through this boring political lecture, and then given up when it starts to get interesting. The political scenes were a chore in the previous episodes, but they were building up to the poltical scenes in Ep III, where it gets really good. Deleting them in order to save some eye candy scene would be absolutely pointless and render the previous episodes emphasis on poltics to be completely redundant. Lucas has a problem with sticking to his guns, I hope he sticks to them for the sake of this movie.

We shall see.

PVS
Originally posted by jedi90

um...nice attempt at being a smartass, but the reason the 'clue' is there now is because lancewindu added the '*spoiler*' part after i reported the thread to him. so thanks to lancewindu and nothanks to you eek!

and sorry to pop your balloon peluffo roll eyes (sarcastic)

darthmaul1
Funny that people complain about character development, this is STAR WARS, lets face it there is not much character development in 1 movie it takes all 3 of PT or all 3 of the OT.
What character development was there for Han Solo in EPIV?
"Hi I'm captain Solo of the Millenium Falcon" and that was about it for that movie.
and as for the cut scenes, did you see the cut scenes in ep 1 and 2?
those had to be cut for bad acting, and story relevance, things just happen to get cut and thats part of making movies, the only thing that I would of keeped would of been the little extened darth, obi and quigon fight and maybe sebulba using his vents in the race, everything else can stay on the floor.

Darth Bong
You know, of course Spielberg would give ROTS a good review even if it was 4 hours full of the adventures of Jedi-Master Binks. But on the other hand Kevin Smith's review of ROTS gives it some credit. smokin'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.