What makes __________ the "right" religion?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lana
This is something I've always wondered.

Every religion says that their way is the only way into heaven. But why is that particular religion the correct one? What makes, for example, Christianity better than Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shinto, or all the many other religions that exist?

Opinions? Thoughts?

NOTE: Before I get leapt upon for singling out Christianity, I just used that as an example as it was the first one that came to mind and it seems that we have more Christians on here than followers of the other religions. I'm not in any way saying it is better or worse than any other religion (as anyone who knows anything about my religious views will know).

Jeff_Atello
I have the same question you do. I've almost walked out of church quite a few times because of this "understanding" that only one religion is right. Truth be told, I love Wicca because they don't call "God" a male. They believe it has both Masculine and Feminine qualities, and pray to both. But I'm Agnostic because of the bullshit that all the religions spew. I don't understand why they can't all get along.

Capt_Fantastic
"What makes __________ the "right" religion? "

The people that practice it. And not only practice it, but enforce it on the rest of the world.

finti
nothing makes the right religion

Jury
Words of God.

gp christ loves
think about this in allo other religions other than chritianity nam must work his way up ro god but in chritianity God came down to man died for him and requires b\nothjing other than that we believe.
do you want to work your way and never be sure if you still have one thing left to do are do you want to believe in christ and not have anything else to do

lol
GP

LifeIsKillingMe
Infidelity!!!!

debbiejo
Originally posted by gp christ loves
think about this in allo other religions other than chritianity nam must work his way up ro god but in chritianity God came down to man died for him and requires b\nothjing other than that we believe.
do you want to work your way and never be sure if you still have one thing left to do are do you want to believe in christ and not have anything else to do

lol
GP

though I was brought up the same way..I feel that Christians in a way do work their way to heaven depending on your denomination. To be a good Christian..You can't dance, you have to speak in tongues, eat only certain foods, or fish on friday, communion every month, or every other month, baptised as a baby, dedicated, 1st,m 2nd communions...etc...This is works..isn't it? Of ya and some believe NO movies, no drinking, smoking...etc. Dresses below your knees, no make-up, jewlery, clean shaven guys, long hair on girls...No converseptives, large families And then we could talk about the Amish...

BackFire
They're all wrong. There.

FeceMan
In four words, you used two of the "theres" correctly. Hooray.

FeceMan
Originally posted by debbiejo
though I was brought up the same way..I feel that Christians in a way do work their way to heaven depending on your denomination. To be a good Christian..You can't dance, you have to speak in tongues, eat only certain foods, or fish on friday, communion every month, or every other month, baptised as a baby, dedicated, 1st,m 2nd communions...etc...This is works..isn't it? Of ya and some believe NO movies, no drinking, smoking...etc. Dresses below your knees, no makeup, jewlery, clean shaven guys, long hair on girls...No converseptives, large families And then we could talk about the Amish...
Whoa, are you Christian reformed or something (or perhaps Catholic? It can be hard to tell when one is using "Christian" as universal vs. specific offshoot)? I'm nondenominational; I may dance (though I cannot, hehe), eat whatever I want, take Communion if I want to, was not and am not baptized, don't dedicate my communions, and I do not speak in tongues. I prefer to be clean shaven, condone contraceptives, and would like to have two children, no more or less. I cannot drink (both physically and lawfully) and smoking is disgusting; I like to watch movies, particularly R-rated ones. I prefer long hair on girls, but short hair is OK, and they can wear makeup and jewelry if they want.

Jedi Priestess
There is no "right" religion. Life a decent and moral life and you're going to heaven, at least that's my take on it.

Jury
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
There is no "right" religion. Life a decent and moral life and you're going to heaven, at least that's my take on it.
You're a Catholic, right? So are you saying your religion is not right?

Lana
No, she's saying she doesn't believe it to be any better or more right than any other.

Which is the perspective people should have, IMO.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Lana

Every religion says that their way is the only way into heaven. But why is that particular religion the correct one? What makes, for example, Christianity better than Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shinto, or all the many other religions that exist?

Opinions? Thoughts?

NOTE: Before I get leapt upon for singling out Christianity, I just used that as an example as it was the first one that came to mind and it seems that we have more Christians on here than followers of the other religions. I'm not in any way saying it is better or worse than any other religion (as anyone who knows anything about my religious views will know).

Nothing makes religion X better than religion Y.
Christians believe Christianity is the right one, Muslims believe Islam is the one true religion, and Jews also, as a general rule.

While in fact - neither are better than the other.

debbiejo
Originally posted by FeceMan
Whoa, are you Christian reformed or something (or perhaps Catholic? It can be hard to tell when one is using "Christian" as universal vs. specific offshoot)? I'm nondenominational; I may dance (though I cannot, hehe), eat whatever I want, take Communion if I want to, was not and am not baptized, don't dedicate my communions, and I do not speak in tongues. I prefer to be clean shaven, condone contraceptives, and would like to have two children, no more or less. I cannot drink (both physically and lawfully) and smoking is disgusting; I like to watch movies, particularly R-rated ones. I prefer long hair on girls, but short hair is OK, and they can wear makeup and jewelry if they want.

All these I mentioned are Part of the Christian family..And I've attended them...

The Baptists churches I went to didn't wear make up and had long hair on woman, no poker, movies, smoking, many believed in courting, long dresses below your knee.

Pentecostals spoke in tongues, danced some believed that you have to received the gift of tongues to proved you have the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit is needed to be saved and of course go to heaven..Long dresses, no make up, no poker, smoking, drinking, woman shouldn't cut their hair because it is your crown and glory, some, I think wear head coverings, no TV in many houses especially Apostolic Pentecostals, Big on Baptism in JESUS name ONLY instead of the" Father, Son, and Holy Ghost." Very end time originated. The true church, after the Apostolic period of the Bible. The true church(Apostolic)

Seventh Day Adventists are mostly vegetarians, which is very good for you I might add..No make up, baptisms, and keeping all ten of the Commandments including the 4th which is the Sabbath, so no working on that day or cooking. They attend church on that day.. The true church

I'm not REFORMED, but did go there for a while and mostly they believe in predestination. If God didn't chose you from the beginnings of the world then it doesn't matter what you do...YOUR NOT GOING TO HEAVEN. Children go are not predestined go to hell and are tormented for ever and ever, because, they reason, when they're adults, they won't be saved. BUT, you can be brought into the covenant by being sprinkled as a baby.

Most of my family on my dads side are Catholic, and they are sprinkled, have all their communions and different rituals that are done at certain ages. I don't think many follow the NO fish on Friday, but the older Catholics still do. The true church.

World Wide Church of God..Keep the Sabbath and all of Gods Holy Days like the Feast of Unleavened Bread, Feast of Trumpets...etc They don't keep Easter, but Keep the Passover, which is the real day that Jesus was crucified..They don't keep Christmas, and Birthdays, since these are all derived from the pagans...I personally think that If you really want to be living the closest to what Jesus taught,,,then this would be the religion..I never did attend this church, but had friends that did.
The true church, Gods chosen people

Messianic Jews keep the Holy Days and the Sabbath though some keep Sunday. Gods chosen people

To me this still Sounds like WORKS doesn't it to you??

And Yup, I did go to a nondenominational church also...

BTW, I was gone for 3 days...Did anybody notice.cry

King Burger
BTW, I was gone for 3 days...Did anybody notice.cry

Ofcourse I noticed Debbie! Without you, these Religion
and Philosophy threads are dull and lacking the eloquance,
grace, and depth of your views.

Welcome back! hug

King Burger
By the way, as far as what makes a certain religion the right
one, I think that, assuming one thinks about one's religion at
length (most people don't necessarily do that), then it is the
right religion if one geniunely believs that it's values, is
embraced by all, will amke the world a better place. That that
religion offers a key to both spiritual, and practical worldly
salvation.

Ofcourse, most faithful would say that their religion does
just that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...I don't know!

Probably no one will even be certain until one dies and
sees what's in the after-life, of anything at all.

gp christ loves
debbie they aren't actual works that we do they are things that set us apart and show that we are not part of the world the do not get us into heaven or keep us out of heaven. only believeing or not believing does that

finti
so you think, but doesnt really know. Others see it differently and are just as right about that as you are

debbiejo
If you belong to a certain church or denomination and don't keep their "other" rules, youre looked down on....Or you keep it a secret that your doing the "wrong thing."

But I know what your saying gp christ.

PrinceofBlades
"Religion is the highest form of human creation next to emotions." If you think like this than there is no true religion, only true thought. (What ever seems true to you.) Define which one you are and this question becomes very simple to answer.

"Know what religion is, and know who you are, then you know what you believe in, but do you know what is to be true?"

(Cryptic huh? cool )

debbiejo
Originally posted by King Burger
Ofcourse I noticed Debbie! Without you, these Religion
and Philosophy threads are dull and lacking the eloquance,
grace, and depth of your views.

Welcome back! hug

Aww..I was missed

and All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy..Always got to play.. big grin

PrinceofBlades
Buisness before pleasure.

debbiejo
Pleasure with business.

PrinceofBlades
And you lose the satisfaction of relaxation.

debbiejo
Not if it's pleasurable.

PrinceofBlades
But if you mix work with fun, than you lose the taste of fun alone. You recognize it as a part of work. And therefore fun must accompany work, and vis versa.

debbiejo
If you enjoy your work then it's pleasurable to you...To take the time off that pleasure to enjoy another is just pleasure in another form.

PrinceofBlades
If you enjoy your work then it's pleasurable to you...To take the time off that pleasure to enjoy another is just pleasure in another form.

I stand corrected, well said.

debbiejo
I wasn't gonna give up you know....lol laughing out loud

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Jury
You're a Catholic, right? So are you saying your religion is not right?

http://img181.echo.cx/img181/8519/givedamndownload8kj.gif

Jury
laughing out loud stick out tongue rolling on floor laughing

debbiejo
debbie they aren't actual works that we do they are things that set us apart and show that we are not part of the world the do not get us into heaven or keep us out of heaven. only believeing or not believing does that

I do know where you are coming from, but Heaven isn't a physical place. Heaven is within you. And I'm already on my way.

Lana
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
http://img181.echo.cx/img181/8519/givedamndownload8kj.gif

laughing that's awesome.

Jury
I do know where you are coming from, but Heaven isn't a physical place. Heaven is within you. And I'm already on my way.
wink

gp christ loves
heaven is an actual place it is described in detale in the book of revelation in the bible

debbiejo
heaven is an actual place it is described in detale in the book of revelation in the bible

Everything in Revelation is symbolic. Jesus said the Kingdom is within you, and so don't go looking here of there for it.

gp christ loves
jesus never said that the kikngdom was in us and not all of revelation is Symbolic. It is what John saw when God opened up the sky and showed him what was going to happen. he said that the kingdom of Heaven was with us. he said this because he was the kingdom of Heaven and he was dwelling with us and still is dwelling with us through the holy spirit. If heaven is in us then we each have our own heaven and own God that in itself is not biblical. Heaven is an actuall place and we will either go there or to hell when we die. it is as simple as that.

debbiejo
Jesus said "The Kingdom of Heaven is within you." If you don't believe me I'll go look it up and post it...It's probably in Matt., but not sure..He also said "Don't look here or there for it."

We don't have our own God..For there is only ONE GOD. And His Holy Spirit is given to each of us. And He leads us into all Truth...You can tell a truth, by how it affects your heart..Just like you can tell a lie when it hurts your soul...just like rotten words...you feel it inside. It's uncomfortable...The truth will never make you feel like that. It's almost like when your told how to act or feel, or think, you get a sick feeling inside because a part of you knows somethings wrong...But when you're insinc with God the feeling is quite different...He's made us that way for a reason. I know I didn't really explain that very well....

I'll go and try to look up that verse...If I'm wrong, then I'll admit it... big grin

debbiejo
OK...I stand corrected, it's "The Kingdom of God is within you."
Luke 17:20-21 The Kingdom of God commeth not with observation. Neither shall they say, Lo here or lo ther. For, behold, the kingdom of God is with you.

Here's some curious ones...

Matt 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force. How can it be a place in the "sky" or you know what I mean if there is violence?

Matt: 7:20 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt....For where your treasure is there will your heart be also. (It's not an actual treasure, but a treasure that is within.)

Matt. 13:11 Because it is given unto you to know the MYSTERIES of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.( This is the kind of wording the The Gnostics used.)

Matt. 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the Kingdom, and understandeth it not, then commeth the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart.( He was talking about the understanding of the parables.) Funny about them...I could turn on the radio and hear a parable. One pastor would say the "Leaven" represented sin and then another pastor would say that it represented church growth...So...who is right? So who did the wicked one visit?

The Kingdom of Heaven is an inner place and a place that is around us. God is in everything and is everything kinda. It's the Mystery of finding God dwelling deep in yourself. The wisdom that that entails. Look at the parables with that view...It makes since.

OH HERE'S A GOOD ONE.

Mark 9:1 Verily I say unto you, that there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power. (Earlier in another verse, it says that the "Kingdom of God is within you."wink

OH...well enough of my rambling...But really, how would you explain these verses?

Boy this was a bit with the spell-check.. all the eth words...

MahmoudAB
Hi I'm new here and i read this topic, got interested
I'm Muslim 100%, if you wanna know what makes a religion right
you should go through it by asking proper ppl about it, a person
should search for the right religion.
does anyone knows why did god brought us to earth and why didn't he just kept each of us in hell or heaven????? i have few things to discuss after getting the reply about
what does the holy book talks about

debbiejo
OK..I don't get it...Why did god bring us to earth and why didn't he just keep us in hell or heaven? That's different...

MahmoudAB
God brought us to earth so each person have no reason to tell god why did you keep me in hell,, its a proof for your self, you see what are you doing now your mistakes, if god kept be straight a way in hell im gonna say no i didn't do anything wrong and u has no proof, thats your proof you being here

finti
eeehhhh ok that was as clear as a real foggy day erm

gp christ loves
Matt 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force. How can it be a place in the "sky" or you know what I mean if there is violence?

those who believe are members of the kingdon of God and as long as we are on earth we shall suffer violence and be harmed by the violent

Matt: 7:20 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt....For where your treasure is there will your heart be also.

it talks about the fact that if you care about only those things wich are here on earth then you will not have a heart for the lord and that you wont have a place in heaven but if you do not care about those things then you will have a place saved for you when you get to heaven

Matt. 13:11 Because it is given unto you to know the MYSTERIES of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

those who do not believe in christ do not understand him and do not accept him or his teachings but for those who do believe we will know the mysteries of heaven because we will go there and see it when we die

Matt. 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the Kingdom, and understandeth it not, then commeth the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart.( He was talking about the understanding of the parables.) Funny about them...I could turn on the radio and hear a parable. One pastor would say the "Leaven" represented sin and then another pastor would say that it represented church growth...So...who is right? So who did the wicked one visit?

it is a word used in context a single word can have more then one meaning depending on how you use it
the wicked one visits us all and will try to take the word away from all of us but for those of us that believe he can not take it away from us

Mark 9:1 Verily I say unto you, that there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

this verse talkks about those people on earth that will not die but will still be alive when christ returns

finti
Lucas 1:1 a long time ago in a galaxy far far away..........

debbiejo
You all do realize why finti gives you a hard time don't you?

He's a pastor of the Stavanger Full Gosper Truth church. And is testing your faith...

gp christ loves
it is better to have our faith tested and us not sway from the truth than to live our lives without ever being questioned

finti
and then some encounter a situation that really kills off all possibility of faith

gp christ loves
i have come across no situations that kill it and if you have had something kill it then you didn't have true faith in the begining
to have true faith is to believe no matter what happens

Mistah DEVIL
I dont think there is a "right" religion. I dont practice any religion either. If there is a Heaven, I want to go. Just not any time soon.

finti
Well if you havent come across a situation like it dont tell me about true faith and believe no matter what cause you really dont know what you are talking about.

Lana
i have come across no situations that kill it and if you have had something kill it then you didn't have true faith in the begining
to have true faith is to believe no matter what happens

No, that's to have blind faith without thinking for yourself. There's a difference.

gp christ loves
i have had times of trouble by parents got devorsed i've failled grades in school i have had plennty of bad things happen but through all of it god has helped me and guided me and strengthened my faith i have been able to continue believeing no matter what has happened because all the bad things have worked out for the glory of god. the bible says that what satan ment for evil god entends for good and i have been able to find the good in everything and keeped the faith

finti
failed grades in school boohoo boohoo, who's fault might that have been beside your own, parents divorce might be heartbreaking yet it aint nothing to loose faith over. From what I can read by your replies you aint even close to any test of faith yet, so until you have had the ultimate test shut your yats about true faith and believe cause this is a field you have nothing to contribute in cause you really aint got a clue.

debbiejo
Still...there have been people of many faiths that have lost loved ones and didn't lose their faith...And then there are some who did. My sister in laws sister was brutally beaten and killed by her x-hubby while the kids were hiding under the bed. They heard and saw much of what happened. Her back was broken for gods sake...My sister in law lost her faith and so did her mother but only for a few years...There are many trials people go through, Not that I'm minimizing anybodies.. smile

People handle the evils in this world in many different ways. Everyones different.

gp christ loves
very good point debbie there are other things that i hagve gone through wich i cannot mention because they are personal and there are things that we all have to deal wioth in life many times i have questioned why god would do these things to me and i have come close to leaving christ and not believing but every time christ has brought me to a deeper understanding of his saveing grace and i have been able to grow deeper in my faith

Lord Follen
Originally posted by Mistah DEVIL
I dont think there is a "right" religion. I dont practice any religion either. If there is a Heaven, I want to go. Just not any time soon.

Well in wicca we belive in a haven with the god and goddess but you only reach there when your soul has been in enough life timeds to become perfect through reincarnation

debbiejo
Similar to New Age, I think.

Lord Follen
hmmm i dont know nuch about new age!

debbiejo
It just sounds simular to what you said...from what I've read about it.

Lord Follen
Ohh i havent read anything about the New age but i do read things on Wicca.

debbiejo
I think they are both nature based and have gods and goddesess. And reincarnation. And gods spirit in everthing...Is that how wicca is?

Lord Follen
hmmm basicaly and how we use herbs and stuff for ofeing but Christianity is kinda tha same when you think about it because when you people have masses and pray we have rituald and say invocations which both talk to the gods

debbiejo
Special herbs for special purposes? Christianity and Wicca hmmmm, I bet you'd get some suprized looks.

Lord Follen
Ya like now im mad at one of my best freind for what he says to me about going into wicca

Lord Follen
Special herbs for special purposes? Christianity and Wicca hmmmm, I bet you'd get some suprized looks.

Special purposes like ritals and equinoxes an solseses but not special herbs like regualer herbs

big gay kirk
I wouldn't say mine's the right religion, but i think its the best.... we believe in everybody's gods, even if we don't worship them, which makes us quite tolerant, and gives us a useful safety net, we have big parties, drink beer and light fires.... Bliss!!!!!

Lord Follen
What religon would that be?

sonnet
OK...I stand corrected, it's "The Kingdom of God is within you."
Luke 17:20-21 The Kingdom of God commeth not with observation. Neither shall they say, Lo here or lo ther. For, behold, the kingdom of God is with you.

Here's some curious ones...

Matt. 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the Kingdom, and understandeth it not, then commeth the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart.

The Kingdom of Heaven is an inner place and a place that is around us. God is in everything and is everything kinda. It's the Mystery of finding God dwelling deep in yourself. The wisdom that that entails. Look at the parables with that view...It makes since.

This is a Christian explanation as you are using the Bible for reference.We have the Kingdom of Heaven within us if we have Jesus in our hearts. Once you accept Jesus you become part of God's Kingdom and it becomes part of you. It lives in you. To put it in a simple way you can have the kingdom in you but that does not mean you have the palace (Heaven) in you. The violence suffered is referring to the martyrs, the tribulation and so forth. The Christians then suffered for the Word and it still happens today.
The word of the Kingdom is the Gospel. Jesus explained that when some people hear the gospel and they do not understand and thus not believe then Satan will come and sow doubt and unbelief thus "catcheth away". Yes the Kingdom of heaven is within you but Heaven is a place we go to

finti
dum deee dum de dumh....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz oh poor believers always the victims huh? yet maybe the reason for it is because you brought it on your self you religous arrogant pricks. Dont blame others for your own state of being

big gay kirk
Originally posted by Lord Follen
What religon would that be?

I'm a pagan..... mainly of the norse variety.... we're the ones that don't hug trees or wear dresses.....

debbiejo
Originally posted by sonnet
This is a Christian explanation as you are using the Bible for reference.We have the Kingdom of Heaven within us if we have Jesus in our hearts. Once you accept Jesus you become part of God's Kingdom and it becomes part of you. It lives in you. To put it in a simple way you can have the kingdom in you but that does not mean you have the palace (Heaven) in you. The violence suffered is referring to the martyrs, the tribulation and so forth. The Christians then suffered for the Word and it still happens today.
The word of the Kingdom is the Gospel. Jesus explained that when some people hear the gospel and they do not understand and thus not believe then Satan will come and sow doubt and unbelief thus "catcheth away". Yes the Kingdom of heaven is within you but Heaven is a place we go to

I don't recall Jesus calling anything a "Gospel"...The Kingdom is the Love for others that you have inside you. Love that brings peace to the world. And the marvel of everything that God has given.

The kingdom of God is within you and all around you. It is not within buildings of wood or stone. Split a piece of wood and you will find me. Look beneath a stone and I am there.

sonnet
though I was brought up the same way..I feel that Christians in a way do work their way to heaven depending on your denomination. To be a good Christian..You can't dance, you have to speak in tongues, eat only certain foods, or fish on friday, communion every month, or every other month, baptised as a baby, dedicated, 1st,m 2nd communions...etc...This is works..isn't it? Of ya and some believe NO movies, no drinking, smoking...etc. Dresses below your knees, no make-up, jewlery, clean shaven guys, long hair on girls...No converseptives, large families And then we could talk about the Amish...

All of these things are man made rules based on their interpretation of what was written in the Bible. Many of these were then fitted to guide morals or so they thought. But what does God see as good Christian. The Bible says that God dislikes a person who is like the waves of the sea blown this way by the wind today and then that way tomorrow. He calls them neither hot or cold but luke warm and says he will spew them out of his mouth like something that has bad taste. The Bible also says that by having faith you will find favour in Gods eyes. And then it teaches that we will be known by the fruits we show example love, tolerance, controlling anger, not using foul language, etc.

debbiejo
I agree that religion equals man made rules....God isn't restrictive.

gp christ loves
what about god giving the ten comandments

debbiejo
I think the ten commandments are good rules to live by. But how do ya keep the Sabbath holy???

finti
and the first one indicates other gods

debbiejo
Jesus also mentioned that the people of that time, some of them, thought themselves to be gods. That could be taken two ways.

Lazerlike42
I think the ten commandments are good rules to live by. But how do ya keep the Sabbath holy???

The methods for this were expounded by Moses in other parts of Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. More explanations were created for the Talmud as time went on.

It doesn't matter anyways as far as Christians are concerned: "Man was not made for the Sabbath, but the Sabbath for man."

debbiejo
It's funny how that one commandment is now obsolete because it would be inconvenient. The one day God said to "Remember" and to spend that day in worship of Him...

Lazerlike42
Many of the Old Testament laws can be described as "shadows" of the truth, and the Sabbath is one of them. In Christ we have the truth and have no need for the shadows. We still do the same thing as did the OT people's in honoringthe Sabbath, but we do it through Christ, through truth.

debbiejo
That's what people say "Shadows", So, who picked that one to be a shadow and should the other 9 also be shadows as well?

Lazerlike42
Jesus picked it. Moreso, the other 9 all fall into the satement "Love one another as yourself," whereas the Sabbath day one does not. The reason the other 9 were carried over is because they are required if one is to love his neighbor as himself.

debbiejo
The Sabbath would fall into the "Love God" statement. The first 4 are love god, and the last six are love man...

What scripture are you referring to when you say that Jesus picked it...curious. smile

Lazerlike42
The scriptures as a whole. All I am saying is that God is the one who said that the Sabbath didn't matter anymore but we still weren't allowed to kill or covet or so forth, and He's the only one that would have a right to do so.

When a parent raises their kid and says that the kid can have junkfood but not candy, the parent is the one that made the rule so all he or she has to do is say that's so and it is.

debbiejo
I don't agree..I find no place where such a BIG change was apparent..It should of been made really clear if it was, and it wasn't. Oh, well so much for the Big Ten...I was just making a point that PEOPLE have decided to change what they don't like, just as they have alway been doing since the beginning with the Roman Church...

Lazerlike42
It wasn't a big change. The correct day of worship was Sunday, but most people did not follow it. It wsa very difficult to overcome old habits and beliefs. Even the gentiles, who had not had old Jewish beliefs, fell into old Jewish practices because:

A) they knew Jesus was of the Jews, and knew how the Jews behaved and tried to mimic them

B) many gentiles were instructed to continue in old Jewish practices by Jewish converts who themselves had not abandoned these ideas yet

C) many gentiles were shunned by the Jewish Christians if they did not practice the old ways

D) Christianity was an illegal religion in the Roman empire, and many people simply had to practice in the old ways, especially in such obvious ways as to gather on Saturday, to avoid being caught.

E) People misunderstood the concept that was taught in Romans 14 (though people at the time learned this concept mostly from Paul's missions as opposed to this epistle which fewer actually had read to them or saw)

In fact, much of the book of Hebrews addresses this. Paul himself spends a lot of time addressing this type (though not this specific) problem. He even had to correct Peter (2 Galatians) because Peter was afraid of confronting the Jewish Christians about their old practices so he began to do them himself.

debbiejo
I looked up every verse that had to do with "The first day", and "The Sabbath day", and found no change. You will have to give me some examples.

From the above statement, you seem to be saying that the only reason that people kept the 4th commandment was out of fear of being caught because it was illegal, or old habits.

If Jesus was to have changed that day, It would of been said by him before the crucification and the new covenant...Since he didn't the 10 commandments, all ten are still in effect...Otherwise, you'll have to show me where he did change it. Just because they met on the 1st day or any other day of the week doesn't mean there was a change. It also says that they met daily also. I'm not saying that I keep it or not, but again it was something that "A group of deceitful men" changed for their own purposes. I'm not saying that eveything they did was of selfish motive, but they had their reasons for many things they changed.

Lazerlike42
The New Testament doesn't say very much about the day of worship, so looking up the Sabbath day or The first day won't do you any good. The problem with what you're saying is that it assumes that just because Jesus is not quoted in the gospel as saying something that He never said it at all. The gospels are only a few pages; there are plenty of things He said that aren't in there.

In this case there is another side to the story too, which is that much of the doctrine we have was developed in the 40 days between the resurrection and the ascension. There was a lot Jesus would not talk to the desciples about during his first ministry, in large part because until His death He would follow, and instruct others to follow, the Law of Moses. Things like the observance of the Sabbath would have been addressed by Jesus after His death, when they were correct.

That's why a lot of the doctrine we have comes from the epistles, because in them Paul, James, Peter, and John are expressing things that they have learned not only before the crucifixion but also after.

AdventChild
there is no right religion, religion is made of by people....if you believe in christ and God then you are Christian..not catholic, Lutheran, Pentacostal, baptist, ect....You are a christian and it should stick to that.. it sickens me how one religion (Christians) segregate from one another just because they don't like rules of a religion....there shouldn't be any rules if you love God and christ...just my thoughts......

debbiejo
There is one religion...It's called live the fruits of the Spirit

love;
joy;
peace;
patience;
kindness;
goodness;
faithfulness;
gentleness;
self-control.

By their love for one another you will know them.....Jesus

finti
and a slap in the face comes under what category

debbiejo
Not being a very nice person...

finti
and devastating losses comes under what category?

debbiejo
A broken shell of what was once a happy person.

But still..no matter what anyones circomstances are they can still have fruits.

debbiejo
Otherwise...people would view the world from a very self centered state for ever....sad and angry. That would never bring joy into anyones life....AND THAT WOULD BE THE REAL HELL....

finti
no real hell is when my neighbour( a 50 year old clueless tasteless deranged female who thinks shes a diva) decides to take her stereo out on the porch and share her music for us sick Yeah thats when Satyricon comes on on mine

debbiejo
That can be weeping and gnashing of teeth......

AdventChild
hell is a matter of opinion....living life in question...(What if i did that or this) is the ultimate hell.....

debbiejo
Real hell is not working with your life. It's a making of your own...Living with anger,depression...etc...this is hell

fruits
well i dont think my religion is necessarily "the right" religion, nor do i think other religions are wrong. i think people who are budhists or whatever who lead good lives and have good morales will make it into heaven, despite the fact that they dont believe in jesus as the savior. but i cant say the same aboout atheists whose "religion" if you can call it that, is centered around the belief in no god.

debbiejo
I agree, though I don't believe in hell...If you do, then where is hell?

fruits
well i have my doubts about hell. i just posted the details in another thread. the "does the bible contradict itself" thread, so you can go read what i think about hell there.

finti
told you in the outskirts of France

debbiejo
I forgot..

JesusIsAlive

Opinions? Thoughts?

Take into consideration everything that Jesus said about Himself. Look at the good things that He did. Review the prophesies about Him (hundreds) that were fulfilled (came to pass). Study His message. There is no incongruity about Who He said He was, why He came to earth, the life that He lived, the miracles that He performed. Everything is remarkably consistent. Read the Gospel According to John from beginning to end. I guarantee that you will walk away a changed person.

Storm
That is circular reasoning.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Storm
That is circular reasoning.

I have told him that before, but he never replies.

Impediment
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
Read the Gospel According to John from beginning to end. I guarantee that you will walk away a changed person.

I disagree. It'd be no different than me reading the story of Jason and the Argonauts sailing to find the Golden Fleece, or the story of the Midgard Serpent and her blood feud with Thor, or the story of Arthur obtaining Excalibur from the Lady of the Lack via the wizard Merlin, or any other ancient story taken from ancient text. The Gospel of John is just words on paper, JIA. It doesn't prove anything.

Alliance
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I have told him that before, but he never replies.

JIA...this is a circle...demonstarting circular reasoning.
http://www.scienceagainstevolution.org/images/v3i2g.gif

The problem with this logic is that there is no way to prove if wither A or B is correct. Often with circular reasoning, both principles are wrong.

No conclusion can be reached and you can't begin your rationalization anywhere. Hence why it is false.

BobbyD

Opinions? Thoughts?

It could be that God has many faces...as many faces as their are ethnicities/races to attract people of all kinds to him. Muhammad to Muslims, Jesus to Christians, Moses to the Jewish, Buddha to the Buddhists, etc, etc.

Did that make sense? What the heck do I really know what God thinks though???? wink

Alliance
Except Jesus is not the god of many Chirstians and Moses is not the god of the Jews.

BobbyD
Originally posted by Alliance
Except Jesus is not the god of many Chirstians and Moses is not the god of the Jews.

Whatever. You know what I was trying to get at.

Quiero Mota

Moses isn't a god, period.

Alliance
Originally posted by BobbyD
Whatever. You know what I was trying to get at.

Perhaps you need to work on your knowledge of religions.

Trickster
That can be weeping and gnashing of teeth......

Nice.

BobbyD
Perhaps you need to work on your knowledge of religions.

I'm sure I could a pointer or two. wink

JesusIsAlive

RocasAtoll
STOP COPY/PASTE. If you want to argue, FORM YOUR OWN POINTS.

JesusIsAlive

Alliance
I agree wholeheartedly with these points. I cannot improve on their expression. I admit my limitations.

If you cant argue, then practicing can only help you get better.

RocasAtoll
Wait, directed at me?

Alliance
Why did you think that? smile

RocasAtoll
Nice. Jackass. stick out tongue

Alliance
noyes

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
Wait, directed at me?

Side-stepping my previous post?

RocasAtoll
Stupid youngins'.

Alliance
I know, its very hard to argue with a 2 year old.

Trickster
I agree wholeheartedly with these points. I cannot improve on their expression. I admit my limitations.

How can you not see that this:

is exactly what this:

describes as circular reasoning?

Quiero Mota

Nice little disclaimer, but that doesn't change the fact that you singled out Christianity. no expression

Atlantis001

Shakyamunison

Mindship
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
"What makes __________ the "right" religion? "
The people that practice it.

I tend to agree with the above part of your statement (forgive me for not retaining the entire sentiment).

Reminds me of when I studied martial arts; someone would always ask, What is the best martial art? Answer: it's not the art, it's the artist.

Putting aside the validity, per se, of religion (as that is not the topic of this thread), I've always felt any genuine faith basically follows this simple plan: Nothing makes "God" happier than when we are nice to each other. Period.

As such, the adherents of some faiths have historically followed this plan less well than others, faiths which tend to have "something to prove."

RocasAtoll
The best martial art is Muay Thai. Then Wu-shu.

Mindship
The best martial art is Muay Thai. Then Wu-shu.

confused
Go figure.

Alliance
Then Wu-shu.

ninja Ray Park.

Storm

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Storm
Some of the events described in the texts did happen. Only portions of the Bible are historically accurate to a certain degree, and not to the smallest details.

I disagree (respectfully). I believe that all of the events did occur and that the Bible is thoroughly, historically accurate with sharp-shooter precision.

Bardock42
I disagree (respectfully). I believe that all of the events did occur and that the Bible is thoroughly, historically accurate with sharp-shooter precision.

Dinosaurs?

JesusIsAlive

JesusIsAlive

Alfheim

Lord Urizen

Lord Urizen

Imperial_Samura

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
...Which isn't really accurate at all. We know for a fact that "every living thing that moves" and the like were not all created at once. No species in existence today was present at the beginning, and nothing from the beginning exists today....

You don't know for a fact that every living thing that moves and the like were not created at once because you were not there.

Besides if God says that that is how it went down then I am just predisposed to believe God just for no other reason than the fact that He was there. You weren't even a remote thought. But I believe God anyway because He is God.

Imperial_Samura
You don't know for a fact that every living thing that moves and the like were not created at once because you were not there.

I don't have to have been there, and it is fallacious to imply that the argument is invalid since a scientist hasn't been there. Fossil records and the like show that not all things existed all the time. It is one of the reasons why they can establish such firm periods - because the creatures alive in the Triassic were often different from the ones in the Cretaceous, both of which were different from those existing today.

Were you there? More importantly were you there at the writing of the Bible? Because you are arguing it is right over scientifically supported fact (as close to fact can be) - the earth is billions of years old. Not all life was created at the beginning. The animals and birds alive today were not there when the earth first began, they were not there for millions of years while other creatures lived and died and evolved.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.