Academy's ability to choose best picture

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

mayor_gamgee
In my opinion, the Academy has a screw loose when it comes to picking the Best Picture of the Year. Many awards seem to be turn based (i.e. Denzel's win for "Training Day," great actor that has been turned down before, and wins for a lowsy role). Many awards depend upon content. Take this years Best Picture, "Million Dollar Baby." Nothing spectacular plotwise, technicalwise, or emotional content-wise. The message of the movie however was controversial.

So a person must be able to assume that a BP win goes to the film that has the strongest content. This has proven untrue many times, but stays the course as the only way in which folks pick best flic.

The problem is then, that this would allow great films the opportunity at winning BP that never even enter consideration. It must be a combination of who you know and how much liberal ideas you put in your movies.

This being said, what should have taken Best Picture this year? My vote is "Sideways," plus a big fat Best Actor to Giamatti.

BackFire
I agree, I definately thinkg sideways shoulda won, as well as Giamatti, he was simply pure gold, as was the movie.

Cinemaddiction
It's all opinion, and that's why I hate the AA's.

BlazingBarrells
I love watching the AA. Even though thier picks are lame, and many nominations hilarious, i still love watching what they "believe" is the best in film. Very interesting. I would love to sit in the boardroom as they vote and talk about the movies.

Smasandian
I think they vote through mail.

WindDancer
Originally posted by mayor_gamgee
In my opinion, the Academy has a screw loose when it comes to picking the Best Picture of the Year. Many awards seem to be turn based (i.e. Denzel's win for "Training Day," great actor that has been turned down before, and wins for a lowsy role). Many awards depend upon content. Take this years Best Picture, "Million Dollar Baby." Nothing spectacular plotwise, technicalwise, or emotional content-wise. The message of the movie however was controversial.

Oh well, too bad that is why I don't care for awards. I felt MDB was an excellent film. A few years ago Titanic was best picture of the year which I highly disagree. So it depends which film wins. But in reality it isn't important. What's important is if you enjoyed the film.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.