Pre-May 19th EP 3 reviews (LOADED with SPOILERS!!)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedi Priestess
OK these are sure to start flooding in now, so I thought it would be cool to have them all in one thread. Robbie at MF.com posted this one by Kevin Smith of "Clerks" fame earlier this morning.

http://viewaskew.com/theboard/viewtopic.php?t=32494

You've been warned...

- "Revenge of the Sith" is, quite simply, ****ing awesome. This is the "Star Wars" prequel the haters have been bitching for since "Menace" came out, and if they don't cop to that when they finally see it, they're lying. As dark as "Empire" was, this movie goes a thousand times darker - from the triggering of Order 66 (which has all the Shock Troopers turning on the Jedi Knights they've been fighting beside throughout the Clone Wars and gunning them down), to the jaw-dropping Anakin/Obi Wan fight on Mustafar (where - after cutting his legs and arm off, Ben leaves Skywalker burning alive on the shores of a lava river, with Anakin spitting venomous sentiments at his departing mentor), this flick is so satisfyingly tragic, you'll think you're watching "Othello" or "Hamlet".

I saw a gorgeous digitally projected version of the flick, and lemme tell ya': this is a beautiful looking film. The opening space battle sequence is the best in any of the six "Star Wars" movies. Grievous and Kenobi's lightsaber duel is bad-ass, with Grievous rocking four sabers. The Clone Wars end rather early in the flick (about the halfway point), leaving the rest of the film to concentrate on Anakin's turn to the Dark Side, and the resulting slaughter of the Jedi.

Perfect example of how dark shit gets: remember the Younglings - the kid Jedis in training from "Clones"? As a result of Order 66, when Anakin invades the Jedi Temple with an army of Clone Troopers, he enters the Council room to find a gaggle of said younglings hiding behind the seats. They see Anakin and emerge, asking "What should we do, Master Anakin?" The query's met with a stone-cold Anakin firing up his lightsaber. The next time you see the kids, Yoda's sifting through their corpses on the floor.

Yes, it's just that dark - and rightfully so. This is the birth of Darth Vader we're talking about. The only comic moments in the flick are given to R2D2, and while good, they're all pretty few and far between; the order of the day is dark, dark, dark.

Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor steal the show, but Hayden Christensen silences any naysayers who wrote him off as too whiney in "Clones". This is the flick that feels closest to Episodes 4, 5, and 6, because - for the first time since "Return of the Jedi" - there is a clear villain. And for all the shadow-play Palpatine has been upto in the last two flicks, his treachery is about as subtle as John Williams' score in "Sith." Whether he's slowly drawing Anakin toward the Dark Side during an opera/performance art piece with his promise of the Sith's power of life over death, or he's engaged in a balls-to-the-wall lightsaber duel in the Senate with Yoda, his "Little, green friend" (his words, not mine - which I kinda dug, because, interestingly, I think it's the first time anyone's acknowledged that Yoda is green in any of the "Star Wars" flicks), this is the Emperor's movie.

The last fifteen minutes dovetail nicely into Episode 4 (or just plain "Star Wars" for you non-geeks), and the movie is full of link-up moments as well.

- At flick's end, Threepio and Artoo are given to Captain Antilles (with the caveat that the Protocol's memory be wiped).

- The twins, natch, are split up. Leia heads to Alderann with Bail Organa, and Obi Wan hands Luke over to Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru (indeed, the closing shot is Owen holding Luke while looking out over the setting suns of Tatooine - mimicking the shot of the adult Luke doing the same in "Star Wars", complete with callback cue from Williams).

- After he succumbs to the Dark Side, Anakin tries to convine Padme that he can overthrow Palpatine, and together, he and Padme can rule the galaxy as husband and wife.

- Vader and the Emperor stand beside a younger Grand Moff Tarkin on the bridge of a Star Destroyer, overlooking the earliest construction stage of the Death Star.

- Yoda telling Obi Wan that, as he heads to Tatooine to hand over Luke and go into exile, that he should spend his time learning to commune with those who've crossed over to the next stage of life, as Yoda maintains he's been doing with Qui Gon (and Ben will later do with both Luke and Yoda, in "Empire" and "Jedi"wink.

- And, hands-down, the best link-up to "Star Wars" moment that I enjoyed the most: Bail Organa and Yoda stepping into the hallway of the Rebel Blockade Runner that opened "Star Wars". Unlike all the high-tech CGI wizardry of the rest of the prequel Trilogy, this is a low-tech looking set, right out of circa '77, and for some reason, it really captured my imagination. I mean, this is the same exact hallway in which we got our first look at Vader, oh so many years ago, and I appreciated the hell out of Mr. Lucas including it - because it really felt like a nod to the hardcores.

Look, this is a movie I was genetically predisposed to love. I remember being eight years old, and reading in "Starlog" that Darth Vader became the half-man/half-machine he was following a duel with Ben Kenobi that climaxed with Vader falling into molten lava. Now, twenty six years later, I finally got to see that long-promised battled - and it lived up to any expectation I still held. I was sad to see the flick end, but happy to know it's not the end of the "Star Wars" universe entirely (I've read stuff about a TV show...).

"Sith" doesn't happen; "Sith" rules.

BAILY
Wow JP..... I thought you didnt like Kevin Smith... remember... zzzzzz... laughing

Jedi Priestess
Eh I dont, but I like his review! laughing out loud

MoviesFan
Here

http://www.iesb.net/movies2/movie042705.php

Jedi Priestess
We have a thread for this.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f38/t338660.html

jedi2187
snoogans.

Alliance
JP you just made my day!

jedi2187
Smith is a die-hard Star Wars junkie, as evidenced in his film. His review has got me jonesin' to see the movie NOW!!!!Happy Dance

Jedi Priestess
mwah1 hey thank Robbie and MF he's the one that found it.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
We have a thread for this.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f38/t338660.html

yes

The Ones
wow....

sounds good

ickeris2003
Good Info. It makes me wanna watch the movie more.

ShadowKing
starwars

It's great to hear another fan liked it. I wonder what Dante and Randall think....wink3

astrofan428
Oh hell yeah!!!

theflyxx
Nice review by Lunchbox.

I haven't been this excited about a movie in a looooong time.

astrofan428
Does anyone know what he thought of I and II? Because it would interesting to compare.

vader519
That was a great review. Man, just three more weeks.

Darth_Vader05
That was an excellent review im telling you people that Revenge Of The Sith will be the best Star Wars movie ever made!!

nvrsbr
Dang, now that Kevin Smith has given ROTS such a good review I will be getting less sleep until its realesed sad

ShadowKing
Jay says:

"yeah booy! That ****in' kicked ass! Even that princess who was knocked up...I'd take that Natalie Portman and be like, yeah baby you know you want some...crybaby Anakin...I'd slap that punk...yeah piiiyow! Feel this burn lefty! You look like you need to be with fat boy here...don't look at me like that, I know you swing that way...be one with your fat gay self..."

macgeek2005
Originally posted by Darth_Vader05
That was an excellent review im telling you people that Revenge Of The Sith will be the best Star Wars movie ever made!!

I know how you feel Darth_Vader05, there are some people out there that just don't get it. We'll have to wait till may 19, for the stubborn OT fans to admit that this one's the best. Patience.

smoker4
Originally posted by macgeek2005
I know how you feel Darth_Vader05, there are some people out there that just don't get it. We'll have to wait till may 19, for the stubborn OT fans to admit that this one's the best. Patience.

Why do you have to constanley try and bash the OT, FFS chill the f**k out please, im sure it will be a brilliant movie but i'm sick of you trying to force your opinion time after time, after time regarding this film sad

astrofan428
On May 20th we can open a "Which Movie is Best" thread and have this fight then, but for now.......SILENT BOB LOVES ROTS, WOOHOO.

macgeek2005
I'm not bashing the OT. A great movie doesn't become bad, just because a greater movie comes out.

The OT is brilliant. 10 out of 10. Revenge of the sith... your talking on a different level, it's not fair to compare it to the OT. But i'm definetaly not bashing the OT.

DenKi
Knew all this already??

kiadimundijedi
Boy I wonder if Episode 3 will be half the Movie that Jersey Girl Was...

DCLXVI
Cool....cool
Too bad I already ruined the movie for myself. stick out tongue

astrofan428
What did you do?

DCLXVI
astrofan428> I read the VD, the Art of, the Making of, the Screenplay....stick out tongue
Not to mention the HUNDREDS of pics I downloaded, (and just recently deleted). stick out tongue

astrofan428
Wow, apparently you have basically seen the movie...How was it?

DenKi
You havnt, your thinking the STUPID same people on this forum, WHY DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE SEEN AND RUINED EVERYTHING FOR URSELF?

You people have only seen what 20Mins of REAL Footage used in the Movies out of what? 2 and a half hours?? and Theres loads of things not included in the Scripts, FFS stop saying you have ruined it.

DCLXVI
Thumbs up. wink
Oh, I forgot the Novelization and the Comic too....stick out tongue

DenKi> Don't bash, and don't be stupid. roll eyes (sarcastic)

DenKi
It's honestly doing my ****ing head in, People keep sayinging ohh no, We have totaly ruined this movie for ourselves now since we have just seen this new PIC

astrofan428
Breathe Denki, it will be alright.

DenKi
AHAHHaahahaAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!111oneoneone
seven

lol ok

DCLXVI
roll eyes (sarcastic)
You obviously don't understand.
The SCREENPLAY, VD, Making Of, Art Of, Comic, (etc.), ruin the movie: practically SCENE FOR SCENE, DIALOGUE FOR PIECE OF DIALOGUE. roll eyes (sarcastic)

EDIT: I understand there will be a few things that will surprise me, (macke-up, action sequence, etc.), but I've ruined the STORY for myself.

DenKi
Well i just CAN'T ****ING WAIT, till the look on ur face as your watching the movie see somthing you wasnt expecting

DCLXVI
^ - I edited.

DenKi
I still cant wait for the Look on your face

DCLXVI
What....you're going to stalk me all the way over to Canada to WATCH me? scared
stick out tongue

Darth Jello
what's a nubian?

bilb
Jello... laughing laughing laughing laughing

astrofan428
mmmmmmmm....Jello.

DCLXVI
Mmm....nubian....

astrofan428
mmmmmmmmmm...oh..umm.....oh.....jello.......

Mist
is there a post-ep3 review thread for when we all see it?

astrofan428
Yeah I think it opens at 12:01am May 19th.

hunchy
eXSBass thanks for the nice comments in my post of Kevin Smith's review smile

Sith_Dreamer
Nice review. May 19th better hurry up!

Jedi Priestess
On May5th the NYC press will be seeing ROTS. Somehow I'm not looking forward to that.

jedi2187
On May5th the NYC press will be seeing ROTS. Somehow I'm not looking forward to that.

Just keep your fingers crossed and think positive thoughts.

astrofan428

I am going to try and say this in the nicest way possible.

"**** Them"

The only people I care hearing what think are me and my friends here.

Jedi Priestess
That's all well and good, but unfortunately the press opinion of this movie will have effect on box office sales. As there are faw more people who arent familiar with SW than are.

astrofan428
Too bad Star Wars fate depends on how much money E3 earns.

Just kidding with you JP.

Jedi Priestess
You know what I mean you spaz. stick out tongue

ShadowKing
If it's got action, and drama, and that certain specialness, and it's got a dark edgy feel, the NY Press will like it...just like we will!

astrofan428
Yeah I know.

Even if they dont love the movie, I am sure the consesus(sp) will be that it is an improvement and an enjoyable film.

tpaquin
Originally posted by astrofan428
Does anyone know what he thought of I and II? Because it would interesting to compare.

IN Clerks teh cartoon show, he wrote an episode where Randall sued George Lucas for the six dollars that it cost to see Episode I, pointing out that he probably, "Wrote it over a weekend, and have been tellin' everyone that it's been done for years!"

Lord Tyrant
Holy Mother Apple Eating Crap!

darth_achilles
man, ****k lando u uncle tom nigga!

smoker4
Originally posted by darth_achilles
man, ****k lando u uncle tom nigga!

blink

Darth Jello
YOU F*CKING TRACER!!!! YOU'RE A TRACER!!!! THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE!!!

macgeek2005

Theres only one way that the NYC press could bring around something bad.

If they LIE.

jedi2187
http://www.sobras.com/portal/cine/articulos/clerks/i04.jpg

Jay: "Tubby here cried like a girl when they laid that fine honey Padme to rest, and ain't nothin' worse in the world than watchin' a fat man cry."

Bob:"......"

darth_achilles
randall - hey which one did u like more jedi or empire?
dante - empire
randall - blasphemy!

jedi2187
No doubt Dante will change his opinion after watching ROTS...

kashmircat
snootchie bootchies...it's great to see a real SW fan like kevin smith give the thumbs up to to RotS...instead of those fakers at Empire and such...it mean's we'll probable like it

J.M FcThumbs-Up
I'm spoiled to the bone!
Yeezzzz....this stuff is great.
I haven't been around lately due to my term in Bosnia and it's getting busy here.
Finally I'm going home the 3rd of may and finally we'll be getting the movie we've been waiting for, for soooooo long(I think....according to Silent Bob)!
Smokes, Sadako....ol'time pals....my respects, smoke em and see ya around!!!

MY WIFE AND HOLLAND RUUUULEEEEEEE!!!!!
Happy Dance big grin laughing out loud smokin'

signed J.Mthumb up

macgeek2005
I Knew IT. I knew order Sixty six would rock the world.

I assume you've all read that long review from aintitcool.com

And then all hell breaks loose and the movie gets better, and better, and better... Mind you, this is a true PG-13 experience. When the Emperor activates Order 66 and the slaughtering of the Jedi begins, Lucas does not shy away from showing the brutal reality of it. In one of the most shocking scenes of the entire saga, the clones keep shooting at the fallen and already dead Jedi, with the camera slowly panning up to the sky. In fact, the whole montage of the clones turning against their former masters is extremely effective and emotional ? a disturbing mixture of horrible images and truly sad music by John Williams. A goose-bums moment at its best.

smoker4
Originally posted by J.M FcThumbs-Up
I'm spoiled to the bone!
Yeezzzz....this stuff is great.
I haven't been around lately due to my term in Bosnia and it's getting busy here.
Finally I'm going home the 3rd of may and finally we'll be getting the movie we've been waiting for, for soooooo long(I think....according to Silent Bob)!
Smokes, Sadako....ol'time pals....my respects, smoke em and see ya around!!!

MY WIFE AND HOLLAND RUUUULEEEEEEE!!!!!
Happy Dance big grin laughing out loud smokin'

signed J.Mthumb up

Good to hear from you J.M smokin' smile

astrofan428
http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=20069

There is a new review, dont the source, but whoever it is liked it.

vanyoda

vanyoda

DeVi| D0do
more reviews at AICN: http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=20126

The first:

Hi Harry,

To say that I am somewhat giddy would be an understatement, but I just got back from a screening of Revenge Of The Sith in Marin County, and I am pleased to say that this one is everything I hoped it could be. To be fair, I had low expectations, especially concerning dialogue, and there are a few moments of clunky-ness but for the most part Revenge Of the Sith was thrilling, fun and satisfying. I?m going to try and make this review as spoiler free as possible but there are some parts that may need inviso text.

Without giving anything away, Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen are much better this time around. Ms. Portman is radiant as always and both of them seem much more comfortable in their roles. General Grevious is was not quite as bad-ass as I would have hoped but I suppose he was a puppet in Sidious?s game and played the part accordingly.

Ian McDiarmid really got to sink his teeth into playing Sidious this time, and he was excellent. His subtle moments of emotion worked so well, you knew what was coming and really felt like there was nothing anyone could do about it. Ewan McGregor and Samuel Jackson were good as well, but no better or worse than in the first two movies. Yoda was as always, Yoda.

Not all of the questions were answered, such as why Vader/Anakin or Obi-wan don?t seem to remember R2-D2 or C-3PO, and (you might want to use inviso-text here, how Leia can remember their mother and Luke can?t since she and Luke are separated from her at the same time, pretty much at birth). As well as some questions being answered in a rushed way, like the whole immaculate conception thing, and why Ben, Yoda, and Anakin, appear all glow-y at the end of Return of The Jedi(Ben in Empire as well of course).

But all in all, the movie was pretty great. So much better than the first two I can?t even tell you how much better. Gone were the ridiculous accents, cringe-worthy dialogue, and excessive pandering to 5 year olds with Jar-Jar, farting and other nonsense. While there are a few R2-D2 moments and a Wookie moment of sillyness they are easily forgotten in the fun and darkness of this last installment.

If you decide to you this review, call me Onizuka.

Thanks Harry, keep up the good work!

second:

Harry,

I just got back from a screening of Star Wars: ROTS in Marin County, CA that I was fortunate enough to get invited to. While I consider myself a Star Wars fan, I readily admit that I cannot tell you intimate details about the structure of the Galactic Senate, or exactly how General Grevious became the mechanized person he was. I can say, though, that I thoroughly enjoyed this last installment of the new trilogy. It has many of the same failings as the first two, most notably awful dialogue and threadbare plot devices, but the pure satisfaction and joy of watching everything come together and form a bridge between the first two movies and the three of our childhood is undeniable.

This rest of this will contain some spoilers, so those who wish to wait should stop reading now...

There are plenty of moments of humanity in this installment. Obi-Wan, who delivers his dialogue the best and seems to be truly into this movie, expresses concern for the deteriorating condition of Anakin at several points early on. This seems genuine and provides a great backdrop for their final battle. R2 has his usual moments of humor, including the funniest part of the movie when he tries to hide from some droids in a hangar. You can almost see, though, forced foreshadowing that pretends to be humantiy in things like Anakin's attempt to save Obi-Wan early in the movie that ends up with him shooting part of Obi-Wan's ship's wing off. We get two, three, maybe four premonitions of Padme's ultimate death that seem so literal that it takes the anxiety out of her later condition.

My most serious grievance with the movie, though, is in the things that the first two failed to convince me of. When the whole overarching concept of the three movies hinges on Anakin's love for Padme, and when you just aren't quite convinced that this is a possible love, let alone a realistic one, much of the path that Anakin follows is weakened. I wanted to believe that he turned to the dark side because of his concern and love for Padme, and the movie strives very hard to convince us of this, but I had to fall back on the secondary factors -- lust for power, arrogance -- in order to find satisfaction in his turn. I didn't necessarily need more moments between the two of them (in fact, at times, we see too much of them together), I just needed to feel that the time that they spent together was meaningful for her. I don't need to go much more into this here, as I feel that others have already covered this point.

All that said, I still found the movie exciting, entertaining, and worth the trip through the first two movies. The scene where Palpatine reveals his true nature to Anakin had me on the edge of my seat. I realized that I was watching something that I had been waiting over 20 years for (though the scene ends with one of the worst lines of the movie, second only to "From my point of view..." on the lava). The imagery was breathtaking -- the battle in the Senate between Yoda and Palpatine, the intercuts between the different environs of Order 66 being carried out, the Wookie planet -- the sound was incredible and the music, as always, brought you further into the movie than you might have been otherwise. General Grevious was great, and when he pulls out four lightsabers to battle Obi-Wan I was on such a high that only the quick dismissal of several of the lightsabers brought me down.

The bridge to the original trilogy was fantastic, with all of the throwback technology and environments that we hoped for. The only point that it became corny was in the final scene, but even then I was sold on the movie and I didn't even really mind that. Once the Clone War ends, the movie really gets going and except for these final chapters, really an epilogue, it doesn't stop for much. It will be interesting to see how time judges this movie. I read somewhere that Lucas indicated that he hoped the first two movies would be much more meaningful once the new trilogy was finished. I think that he got to that point, although I am sure that those more devoted to the series will find plenty of things to prop up or tear down that I have left out here.

As always, I am KingRhino

DeVi| D0do

zeroImpulse

Darth Jello
I think that'll be left up to the next EU book and the tv shows

ShadowKing
yes...GL said he was making His movie...not what people expected, and that people may be excited about the prospect of seeing Armored Vader hunting down Jedi and pretty much putting the iron fist of the Sith on the whole galaxy, but it won't be the movie he was making.

DeVi| D0do
here's another:

This comment may contain mild spoilers: I had the honor to attend the screening at Indianopolis on my trip to the States. I was along with a handful of lucky others. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised with how the film turned out. After Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, I was expecting just another soul-lacking run-of-the-mill blockbuster that scores big mainly because of the popularity of it's franchise. Man, was I wrong. While this film doesn't come close to the first two SW films, I would say it is the 3rd best, better even than Return of the Jedi. Once I was caught up in the story, It became nearly impossible to track down inconsistencies as my eyes were glued to the screen. Here are some Revenge of the Sith's criteria:

Acting: 6/10. Perhaps the best of the entire series, but doesn't ring as true as the 1st 3 installments. In ANH, ESB, and ROTJ the acting wasn't good, but it went with the story. It was like the actors were characters, all the technicalities of their gesturing and facial expressions were more than made up by their willingness and eagerness to play their characters, a fascination that infected the viewer. In the first two films of the prequel trilogy the acting was pretty stale, save for Liam Neeson (just 1st film); and occasionally McGregor and Natalie Portman. Here, Ian McDiarmid is given more screen time, as his performance shines throughout the film. Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman are also very good, even thought traces of overacting are visible ("YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE!!!" ; anybody?). Hayden Christensen carries out a stale performance from an acting perspective, but he is convincing as a cold emotionless human hiding his insecurities under a scowl.

Characters: 6/10. This is the part that angers me most. Lucas seems to have lost any respect he had for his supporting characters. The story is so focused on Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padme that all supporting cast's performance drained of it's depth (Palpatine is still good, though). As in the other two films of the prequel trilogy, Lucas introduces characters with infinite potential only to have them removed in a SFX frenzy. General Grievous is completely unnecessary to the story and unconvincing. The fact that a feared mechanical alien cyborg super-fighter is so easily dismantled and forgotten (nowhere in the sequel trilogy) is laughable. It is there simply to keep attention on screen, attracting the viewer with it's premise of being able to do something cool. That is, mostly, to partake in some awesome swordplay and die. Another negative is the reduction of the mysterious Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine to a shallow action figure. It's like what they did with Yoda in AOTC, but much better choreographed and more painful to watch (for SW fans). His fight scenes are impressive, but it's not enough to cover him being exposed from the cloud of mystery that kept him interesting for all this time. Wookies also seem a tad unnecessary, as Chewbacca is given importance he fails to convey in the later films.

SFX: 10/10. Some of the greatest special effects ever put on film. The fights are brilliantly choreographed, and the space battle/chase scenes are impressive as ever. Occasionally the film drifts into Video Game territory, but quickly snaps back with spectacular realistic shots. There aren't as many land battles as in AOTC, but those that are there are impressive beyond belief. Also, Lucas's modeled landscapes really bring new realism to the SW universe. I'm glad he learned that his CGi-obsession wasn't good for the film.

Storyline: 10/10. The transformation from Anakin to Vader isn't convincing and some of the focal points fail to deliver the impact expected, but the storyline connects nicely with everything in episode 4. There are almost no loose ends, and only occasionally did I noticed that the actions and presences of some characters were much more dramatic then given for later in the sequel trilogy. I should give this an 8/10, but seeing as Lucas is trying to connect to an already made story, 2 bonus points.

Overall score: 8/10. Not the new Citizen Kane, but definitely worthy $10 for the experience.

DeVi| D0do

DeVi| D0do

DeVi| D0do

DeVi| D0do

Richard FilmFre
Nice review... I hope it will be the same to me smile I'm gonna see it this sunday smile

DeVi| D0do
The guy who wrote the review is answering questions...

http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4404

The Opening space battle is fantastic, the section after that is pretty hap-hazardly edited. You get a WHOLE load of scenes intercut with each other. It's very hard to track who is where now, if you know what I mean?

Which is why I think I may have a couple of scenes out of order...there really is a scene change every 2 or 3 minutes right up until the Mace/Palpatine fight. It isn't good - and it's all talking-heads. There's a couple of really bad fades used too.

The last section of the movie, from after the Mace death right through until the end, is edited REALLY well together. The juxtaposition of Padme's Death to Vaders Birth is well done...then the funeral and so forth. It's very well done.

you were pretty specific in terms of the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel and the Yoda/Sidious fight, but how was the Palpatine/Mace one? If there's one that gives me some worry, it's that one since it's hardly mentioned at all in any of the early reviews. Jackson even seems to be taking some heat from his performance. You'd hope that he'd at least salvage his jedi rep during his coup de grace scene.

It's okay...it's mostly closeups - Palpatine does this cool "twist through the air" thing when he first goes to take out he 4 Jedi, he easily gets rid of 3 of them, Mace puts up a bit more fight - but it's all very closely cut and more "classic" lightsaber fighting, than the more fast-paced "PT" stuff in "The Duel" later on.

It's fine....but I was just confused as to why Mace seems to be able to best Palpatine so easily, when Yoda is CLEARLY the better swordsman...

does Yoda ever say "Chewbacca"? I just can't hear it in my head...

For memory, he does...when he's leaving the planet he thanks them both by name, as says he will "miss you" to Chewbacca....and he also says "Tarrful" which is the other Wookie in the scene. The whole Wookie battle should've been WAAAAY longer, but it's cool for what it is - just is kinda random, as Yoda really has no reason to be there, other than to be out of the Temple when the Jedi Purge goes down.

obi-wan turns his back on anakin who is burning alive? holy shit, I'm crying already. this is gonna be hard to watch.

Yeah, honestly....it's almost offensive! Anakin's basically burning alive, and Obi-Wan just turns and walks away. He's gone and you see Anakin just lying, crawling for his life burning away.

It's pretty graphic...

Is Quinlan Vos in the movie ? Do we see Luminara Unduli, Barriss Offee & Stass Allie die ? Do we see a lot of Felucia, Mygeeto & Saleucami ?

- I don't know who Quinlan Vos is sorry....

- Yes, all the high-profile Jedi from the council are seen dying as far as I could tell...either close up front (Aayla etc) or nearby or in the background. You can make them out if you're looking for them. All those scenes were cut together really well.

- No you don't see "lots" of those planets, but the portion that they're in (the Purge secuence) is breathtaking, heartbreaking and just simply amazing. It really is the best portion of the movie, it's when you realise that everyone "dramatically" is about to die....

Yeah, thanks again, Biggs. I'm sure your fingers must be sore from typing all of that.

Glad to see the reviews are mostly positive. Looks like this is the one, guys!

Heh, not sore....but you know, everyone needs a decent review now and then!...

I'm honestly not sure if I was positive, I need to see the movie again thats for sure, I liked it...it's good....no in fact it's great, it's just there's little niggley moments here and there where you just feel the ball was dropped a little.

If I had to rate it, maybe.....7/10 - possibly my Second favorite StarWars movie...it's EASILY better than I and II thats for sure.

I just feel like you missed the obvious in the Mace vs. Palpatine duel. Palpatine faked his loss so that Anakin would "save" him.

No I didn't. This is the point, Palpatine wasn't "faking" his loss - Anakin wasn't even in the same BUILDING as Palpatine when Mace screwed him. Thats the thing, Anakin never saw that whole thing transpire....he just walked in on Mace about to take out Palpatine, which is all well and good - but it's hard to believe, the way it is presented is simply that - Mace out-duels-palpatine. I mean, he looses his lightsaber out the window....the dude wouldn't get his face-fried if he didn't have to, Mace really does beat him. THEN Anakin turns up - makes the choice.

Though I will admit, given that scenario...most Jedi would side with Palpatine....he was getting wasted at that point....

was Mon Mothma cut from the film completely. I know the whole Delegation of 2000 or something was cut, but was she completely then. No lines?

Also, how about that one Jedi Temple scene that resembles the briefing in ROTJ I've seen in a KV. I'm assuming that's not in the movie as well?

No, and No. No Mon Mothma, no Jedi Temple scene along those lines, though the end of it is still in, as we're (essentially) following Anakin the whole first half of the movie, we get to see the room they were in and Obi-Wan says "you missed the briefing" and thats about it....

DeVi| D0do

LIL-G
how did you see it already?

astrofan428
Like your new sig Double D.

astrofan428
He seemed to be pretty negative throughout the review then we get all the absolutely crap. What the hell is up with that.

I dont buy his take on the duel, even the odd twirly lightsaber part they have been showing on talk shows is cool as hell.

He admits that Palpatine is faking against Mace, buy yet he cant comprehend Yoda losing to him if he lost to Mace.

And poorly acted this, and poorly acted that. You try to ****ing do better, never has the acting in SW bothered me.

I know I sound defensive and that I cant take a bad review(which it was), but I can, I just cant take thsi guy as credible, especially since he didnt what happened when.

PS: I cant believe Vader is awake during the creation scene.

hunchy
Hmm, let me first state, that anytime someone claims they have seen a movie before it comes out, no one believes them, and in this guy's case, I'm sure he did see it. However, I have to say that I wasn't fully impressed with his review. I wouldn't really call it a review, it was more of a plot summary with a few of his remarks. I mean, I myself, having read the script could have answered mostly all those questions. But I guess most spoilers have already been heard or answered, but still....And I do partially agree that he sounded rather negative about odd parts, that wouldn't seem to be that bad (which maybe I'm mistaken). I want to see how the scene with Darth Vader breaking loose of the table is. I've been hearing that it is corny, which is too bad really. But hey, everyone should be glad that we are getting some negatives in these reviews, it'll keep the hype down for the rest of us. I have a blog site where I review movies, and just talk about movie stuff, and I'll definately write one for Episode 3 when I see it. Here's my site, for those of you who want to see it, and be looking out for my review come May 19th:

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=MicahKnapp

devilreverse
here's a review from Variety, yo

The Force returns with most of its original power regained in "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith." Concluding entry in George LucasGeorge Lucas' second three-pack of space epics teems with action, drama and spectacle, and even supplies the odd surge of emotion, as young Anakin Skywalker goes over to the Dark Side and the stage is set for the generation of stories launched by the original "Star Wars" 28 years ago. Whatever one thought of the previous two installments, this dynamic picture irons out most of the problems, and emerges as the best in the overall series since "The Empire Strikes Back." Stratospheric B.O.B.O. is a given.

Indeed, "Sith" looks likely to follow the commercial pattern of the initial trilogy, wherein the second edition, "Empire," dipped considerably from the first, only to see the third, "Return of the Jedi," bounce back closer to the level of "Star Wars." In the case of the most recent set, "The Phantom Menace" grossed $921 million worldwide (slightly more coming from foreign territories than from the U.S.), while "Attack of the Clones" slipped to a $647 million worldwide cume. There's little doubt "Sith" will significantly improve on the latter figure.

Everyone who has followed the "Star Wars" saga over the years will come to this film knowing that it all has to pay off here: the transformation from Anakin into Darth Vader, the face-off between Anakin/Vader and his mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi, the morphing of the Republic into the Empire, the exile of Yoda and Padme's birth of the twins Luke and Leia, siblings who become the central figures in episodes 4-6.

Given the general awareness of what's going to happen, it's up to Lucas to make it exciting. Despite fans' varying degrees of loss of faith that set in with "Menace" and "Clones," most will be inspired enough to believe again.

As if deliberately setting out to reassert his mastery over his iconic creation, Lucas opens with an amazing shot of his two Jedi Knights, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregorEwan McGregor) and Anakin (Hayden ChristensenHayden Christensen), threading their little spaceships through an extraordinary maze of explosions and airborne craft.

In fact, the initial 23 minutes virtually constitute one eye-popping action sequence, as the Jedis fight an assortment of battles to rescue the kidnapped Chancellor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) from the clutches of the skeletal separatist General Grievous.

When things settle down to reunite Anakin with Padme, who announces she's pregnant after the idyllic secret wedding that climaxed "Clones," one is briefly reminded of Lucas' shortcomings as a writer and director of intimate, one-on-one scenes. But it's a minor problem here, as the dynamic of onrushing events soon becomes all-enveloping, and several interconnected conflicts are brought to a head.

As was not always the case the last two times out, Lucas' storytelling sense is admirable as he lays out the growing schism between the Jedi council -- which supports the Republic -- and the Chancellor, who has been granted exceptional powers in the current crisis.

Caught in the middle is Anakin, trained all his life by Obi-Wan to be an exemplary Jedi, but suddenly plagued by dreams of his wife's death in childbirth, offended by the Council's refusal to grant him master status and susceptible to the Chancellor's promise that only through the attainment of dark powers can he save his wife.

As Anakin stews, Jedis led by Obi-Wan attack General Grievous, which occasions more spectacular lightsaber fights (the movie is full of them). When Jedi Knight Mace Windu (Samuel L. JacksonSamuel L. Jackson, finally given something to do) attacks the Chancellor after learning he's a Sith Lord, Anakin must decide once and for all where his allegiance lies, his ultimate choice pitting him tragically against those closest to him, Padme and Obi-Wan.

Picture's final hour is steeped in apocalyptic imagery, tragic pop mythology and effective cross-cutting, as Yoda takes on the Chancellor at the same time Anakin/Vader engages in ferocious combat with Obi-Wan.

Resolution of the latter is significantly gorier than anything previously seen in the "Star Wars" sextet, thereby earning the series' first PG-13 rating. It also results in the transfixing final metamorphoses of Anakin into the black hooded-and-caped Vader unseen since the initial trilogy, an emergence dramatically contrasted with the birth of the twins.

Entertaining from start to finish and even enthralling at times, "Sith" has some acting worth writing home about, specifically McDiarmid's dominant turn as the mastermind of the evil empire. McGregor remains a steady presence, and both Portman and Christensen have loosened up since "Clones" to acceptable, if hardly inspired, levels. Expressiveness of the digitally animated Yoda, voiced as always by Frank OzFrank Oz, is amazing.

The technical achievement here is on such a high level that one is lulled into taking it for granted. Neither of the digitally shot recent episodes has looked consistently great, but this one does.

Perhaps this is the moment to remember it was the original "Star Wars," modest budget and all, that forever raised the bar and set the standard for the new generation of special and visual effects (a taste of "Star Wars" decor is provided by a reproduction of the gleaming white interior of the escaping Jedis' spacecraft). Composer John Williams also seems to have put extra effort into his virtually continuous score, which increasingly invests familiar themes with darker and richer tones.

DeVi| D0do

DeVi| D0do

hunchy
Yeah, and I think generally Harry Knowles is a good reviewer. But man, we're definately hearing that its

1: the best prequel
2: the darkest star wars film
3: better than Return of the Jedi

All the reviews I've read so far have basically said this, and mostly everyone is loving it.

astrofan428
Those last reviews are good to here, especially the last one. He really sells the emotional part of the movie.

Sith Master X
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_3/

Here's a great site for movie reviews. There's 6 reviews for Star Wars on there so far, and each one is good!

astrofan428
Originally posted by Sith Master X
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_3/

Here's a great site for movie reviews. There's 6 reviews for Star Wars on there so far, and each one is good!

Wow, that last review on there was the first time anyone has hated Ian's performance.

They where all good reviews except that last one, and the one I couldnt read because the idiot didnt understand how to use paragraphs.(letters everywhere)

tlbauerle
be sure to check out bill hunt's reveiw on www.thedigitalbits.com

astrofan428
Thanks TLB

This one part has me thinking.

I think the one he talks about at the end is either Vader's plan to take over or his killing Padme(though that has become almost a given) Any idea what the other thing is?

cal31
Wow, it's got a 90% at Rottentomatoes out of 10 reviews all ready. Man, I'm surprised how good it's getting reviewed. I mean, I thought it was going to get better reviews then the last two, but it's amazing how many good ones I have seen. I don't think I've seen one yet that has been bad.

cal31
Here's one from Variety.com: The Force returns with most of its original power regained in "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith." Concluding entry in George LucasGeorge Lucas' second three-pack of space epics teems with action, drama and spectacle, and even supplies the odd surge of emotion, as young Anakin Skywalker goes over to the Dark Side and the stage is set for the generation of stories launched by the original "Star Wars" 28 years ago. Whatever one thought of the previous two installments, this dynamic picture irons out most of the problems, and emerges as the best in the overall series since "The Empire Strikes Back." Stratospheric B.O.B.O. is a given.

Indeed, "Sith" looks likely to follow the commercial pattern of the initial trilogy, wherein the second edition, "Empire," dipped considerably from the first, only to see the third, "Return of the Jedi," bounce back closer to the level of "Star Wars." In the case of the most recent set, "The Phantom Menace" grossed $921 million worldwide (slightly more coming from foreign territories than from the U.S.), while "Attack of the Clones" slipped to a $647 million worldwide cume. There's little doubt "Sith" will significantly improve on the latter figure.

Everyone who has followed the "Star Wars" saga over the years will come to this film knowing that it all has to pay off here: the transformation from Anakin into Darth Vader, the face-off between Anakin/Vader and his mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi, the morphing of the Republic into the Empire, the exile of Yoda and Padme's birth of the twins Luke and Leia, siblings who become the central figures in episodes 4-6.

Given the general awareness of what's going to happen, it's up to Lucas to make it exciting. Despite fans' varying degrees of loss of faith that set in with "Menace" and "Clones," most will be inspired enough to believe again.

As if deliberately setting out to reassert his mastery over his iconic creation, Lucas opens with an amazing shot of his two Jedi Knights, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregorEwan McGregor) and Anakin (Hayden ChristensenHayden Christensen), threading their little spaceships through an extraordinary maze of explosions and airborne craft.

In fact, the initial 23 minutes virtually constitute one eye-popping action sequence, as the Jedis fight an assortment of battles to rescue the kidnapped Chancellor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) from the clutches of the skeletal separatist General Grievous.

When things settle down to reunite Anakin with Padme, who announces she's pregnant after the idyllic secret wedding that climaxed "Clones," one is briefly reminded of Lucas' shortcomings as a writer and director of intimate, one-on-one scenes. But it's a minor problem here, as the dynamic of onrushing events soon becomes all-enveloping, and several interconnected conflicts are brought to a head.

As was not always the case the last two times out, Lucas' storytelling sense is admirable as he lays out the growing schism between the Jedi council -- which supports the Republic -- and the Chancellor, who has been granted exceptional powers in the current crisis.

Caught in the middle is Anakin, trained all his life by Obi-Wan to be an exemplary Jedi, but suddenly plagued by dreams of his wife's death in childbirth, offended by the Council's refusal to grant him master status and susceptible to the Chancellor's promise that only through the attainment of dark powers can he save his wife.

As Anakin stews, Jedis led by Obi-Wan attack General Grievous, which occasions more spectacular lightsaber fights (the movie is full of them). When Jedi Knight Mace Windu (Samuel L. JacksonSamuel L. Jackson, finally given something to do) attacks the Chancellor after learning he's a Sith Lord, Anakin must decide once and for all where his allegiance lies, his ultimate choice pitting him tragically against those closest to him, Padme and Obi-Wan.

Picture's final hour is steeped in apocalyptic imagery, tragic pop mythology and effective cross-cutting, as Yoda takes on the Chancellor at the same time Anakin/Vader engages in ferocious combat with Obi-Wan.

Resolution of the latter is significantly gorier than anything previously seen in the "Star Wars" sextet, thereby earning the series' first PG-13 rating. It also results in the transfixing final metamorphoses of Anakin into the black hooded-and-caped Vader unseen since the initial trilogy, an emergence dramatically contrasted with the birth of the twins.

Entertaining from start to finish and even enthralling at times, "Sith" has some acting worth writing home about, specifically McDiarmid's dominant turn as the mastermind of the evil empire. McGregor remains a steady presence, and both Portman and Christensen have loosened up since "Clones" to acceptable, if hardly inspired, levels. Expressiveness of the digitally animated Yoda, voiced as always by Frank OzFrank Oz, is amazing.

The technical achievement here is on such a high level that one is lulled into taking it for granted. Neither of the digitally shot recent episodes has looked consistently great, but this one does.

Perhaps this is the moment to remember it was the original "Star Wars," modest budget and all, that forever raised the bar and set the standard for the new generation of special and visual effects (a taste of "Star Wars" decor is provided by a reproduction of the gleaming white interior of the escaping Jedis' spacecraft). Composer John Williams also seems to have put extra effort into his virtually continuous score, which increasingly invests familiar themes with darker and richer tones.

DeVi| D0do
two 8/10's from comingsoon.net:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=9479 (I'm pretty sure this is the same as one of the TFN ones...)
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=9489

hunchy
Hey guys, here is a review from a critic I like, James Beradinelli. He liked the first two Star Wars, and gave this one ***1/2. You should check it out:

http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/s/sw2005.html

On his site too is a defense of the first two movies, since they get slammed a lot, for some good reasons in my opinion, but overall I like them.

star22
I can't wait. I have read the book, watched the TV ads, read ever review I could find, and bought the soundtrack. I almost wish I hadn't. Not because of spoilers, but because now I can hardly wait. I am almost at the point of screaming at times.

DeVi| D0do
another AICN review (a Q and A actually): http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=20185

I like this paragraph... so true:

vanyoda
Here is the transcript to the Roger Ebert and Richard Roeper
review to ROTS.(Two thumbs up!!!!)

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by vanyoda
Here is the transcript to the Roger Ebert and Richard Roeper
review to ROTS.(Two thumbs up!!!!)

Awesome

star22
I know. So many good reviews, and only a few negitive ones. I can't wait.

LandoSpeeder2
I cracked up when Ebert said

'Revenge of the Sith is filled with action, including a thrilling dogfight, a sensational crash landing, maybe a little more dueling by lightsabers than you really need since since the swordsman are so good it takes forever for anyone to actually get hurt.'

Ken Kenobi
Originally posted by LandoSpeeder2
I cracked up when Ebert said

'Revenge of the Sith is filled with action, including a thrilling dogfight, a sensational crash landing, maybe a little more dueling by lightsabers than you really need since since the swordsman are so good it takes forever for anyone to actually get hurt.'

I know, that was funny stuff.

It's true though, they duel so well they are almost perfectly matched.

star22
That's really funny. He's really great.

hunchy
I'm very pleased that Ebert liked it, and also said it was the best prequel, meaning he'll probably give it ***1/2, since he gave Episode 1 that.

koolruningz
Here's one that had me fuming. I dont mind if people dont enjoy the movies like i do, each to their own. But this guy is a law unto himself. He has no interest in trying to get into the story and this leads to him missing many key points. Here judge for yourself:

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/cinema/articles/050523crci_cinema

Way to be objective shithead!

sundevilscott

queeq
Good review. Sounds promising.

Good point BTW about the unclarity why everyone is fighting...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.