Does Anakin use Force Lightning?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

grawlshtoilet
I don't know if this has been asked yet and I tried to search and came up with nothing so here goes. Has it been confirmed whether or not Anakin uses Force Lightning in the movie?

Mist
not in movie, only in game.

Ben-Kenobi
no he dosent.

JKozzy
Originally posted by Mist
not in movie, only in game.

bILLYgOAT
tea set

adamrubin
i found this pic

whitewookie
a fake, and an unconvincing one at that!

Ghetto Goblin
Originally posted by bILLYgOAT
tea set

dude... what the heck.

Fcuker
if he did in episode three ... wouldnt he be able to in the ot

Imaginary
Even IF he did in ROTS (which he doesn't, only in the game) he wouldn't be able to in the OT because the lightning would fry all the circuits which make up more than half his body.

Darth Subjekt
no offense to you imag, but thats so F*CKIN STOOOOOOPID! I hate that bullshit excuse that he came up with. Just by the logic alone it doesnt make sense....ok,....tasers, stun-guns, power plants, AC adapters, DC adapters, the common house hold electrical plug, those little globes that you touch and the electricity goes to your hand, i mean the list goes on and on. Metal is a conductor of heat and electricity, wires are made form metal. There is NO way it would have him short circuit. And before you say its not the same as lightning, neither is what they shoot. If it was it would kill you almost instantly....did it kill Luke or ANi.....no. And before you mention power surges, they occur when to much energy is introduced into the capacitors and resistors that are designed for a much lower power rating. So the only reason he didnt do it into the OT was 1. he didnt need it, and 2. GL needed something new for the "ultimate bad guy" to distinguish him from Vader and his capabilities. There had to be something to keep Vader "in check". But thats off the subject sorta...but no he will not use it.

DeVi| D0do
it makes sense to me that he can't use lightning... it would totally fry him.

plus, he has no real hands for it to come out of... wink

Darth Subjekt
no it wouldnt, but this will just be a pointless debate, so whatevs...

tlbauerle
I agree with DS....its because GL came up with it for the emperor.

The only reason Dooku used it was that his storytelling is dry and he likes to recycle crap. That was really dumb..."I can see this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force..." ****ing lame.

Although the fact DV doesn't have any limbs is an interesting approach. Maybe you need those fingertips to conduct static electricity. smile

DeVi| D0do
I agree that GL needed the lightning just for the Emperor in ROTJ to make him even badder than Vader, but I still think Vader using lightning with the suit on would totally screw him up.

I do think it was cheap to give Dooku that power as well...

hey, pointless debates are fun big grin

Cipher
I don't know if Darth Subjekt has seen ROTJ but Vader didn't take to Force lightning too well in that movie.......

Whatever the reason.

sexyking
I think i was sensible for george lucas to give dooku that power it shows just what level he is on in force powers.

Cipher
True, Dooku was a Master when he left, so he has (had) a lot of power.

Anakin using lightning BEFORE getting horribly maimed might've a good way
to show how much power he's lost.

Milosz006
dieplzkthxbye

zeroImpulse
Originally posted by Imaginary
Even IF he did in ROTS (which he doesn't, only in the game) he wouldn't be able to in the OT because the lightning would fry all the circuits which make up more than half his body.
lol that was pretty dumb thing to say. I think only reason he can't at this moment is (Episode III) is because he isn't "Master" level yet. Even though he thinks he is and asks the counsil for the title. I mean if he can't even beat Obi-won how the heck is he to know force lighting. I would imagine if he was stronger and well strong enough to beat Obi-Won he would be able to be strong enough to learn force lighting.

Luetchyboy
From the Visual dictionary "As a result of having artifical arms, Darth Vader will never be able to conjure Sith lightning-nor be invulnerable to it."

NoFate007
I think it would've made more sense to have Padme die because he used Force Lightning on her. That would make it more believable for the childbirth death, and it would help towards why he saves Luke in ROTJ, because he sees another family member dying at the hands of force lightning. But no...Lucas has to use a choke...something that Vader always uses, so it seems like it had no effect on him whatsoever.

Luetchyboy
Force choke is probably more dramtic than seeing her get fried to death which would make me laugh if anything. Plus like you said "something vader always uses," doesn't it make more sense to the character we know in the OT.

ayjay
DV is too kool to use lightning force....i dont see how he turns from being an absolute knob prick in ep 2 and 3, to being a wise calculative master in the 4 5 6....>__<

DeVi| D0do
well, he has had 20-odd years to think things over... wink

ayjay
heheh...o0o yeaah./...dats truue....^__^

i LOVE him in OT (wat does dat stand for?) because he so calm and collected and..just...KOOLER than in PT (wats da stand for?)

DeVi| D0do
OT = Original Trilogy, PT = Prequel Trilogy...

you're new around here aren't you? wink

yes, Vader is much cooler in the OT.

ayjay
haha...well...i'm sorta new to da Star Wars thread....i normally hang around the Comic Book forums ^__^

DarthLazious
No he doesn't use Force Lightning.

Lazerlike42
I don't think it's ridiculous to say that were Vader to use force lightning it would fry him. Let's take the statement of the visual dictionary and ask what it means. First the statement:

"As a result of having artifical arms, Darth Vader will never be able to
conjure Sith lightning-nor be invulnerable to it."

How would one be invulnerable to force lightning to begin with? Yoda showed us in AOTC (which, btw, is likely one reason Dooku used it, so that we could see Yoda act as if it were nothing and realize just how powerful he is big grin). He used his HAND to defend himself.

Also, if we were to look at all 5 films presented already, we would see that Obi-wan (in ANH, TPM, AOTC), Yoda (in ESB, AOTC), Qui-gon (TPM), Vader in all three OT films, and Luke at various points in Empire and ROTJ move or gesture with their hands while using the force. (Ex.: "You don't need to see any identification", Yoda moves the X-Wing, Vader turns flips the switch on the carbon freezer, Qui-gon makes Boss Nass help them, etc.) This would seem to indicate that the hands play some important role in the use of the force.

This would make one wonder how Vader can use the force at all, but remember that there are scenes indicating that it is not necessary to use the hands. When Luke retrieves his lightsaber from the Wampa, he does not use his hands. When he is training and floating things (Yoda, R2-D2, a rock) around Dagobah, he does not use his hands. However in each case, he also must concentrate an incredible amount. This is no doubt due in part to the fact that he is just learning to use the force and is not experienced yet. However, it does also provide the possibility that the use of the force is HARDER without the hands. CONTINUED BELOW

Lazerlike42
(Why then does Vader make hand motions? Perhaps as a child he trained for a decade in the "proper" way to use the force and it is a habit that 20 years can't break. We all know that what we learn as children becomes a very deep part of us, especially mannerisms. Perhaps it is the arm which plays the key role and Vader is using his arms, which are weakened by lacking the lower half. In any case, there are explanation.)

This leads us to the question of the lightning. Maybe Vader cannot make the lightning because he lacks hands, hands which are important to the use of the force and NECESSARY to such a strong power as the lightning. Perhaps he COULD make the lightning but would get fried with it. Those saying that he would not get fried and it is a poor explanation are missing something. It doesn't matter how powerful the lightning is. So it's not powerful enough to kill a person with one blow. That doesn't matter. The lightning extends, as we can see by watching AOTC or ROTJ, from various points all along the multiple fingertips of the hands. This means that it contacts the hand at various points.

We assume the lightning has no power at the point it emits from the body, or else Dooku and Sidious would be injured. However, at the first point it is not in contact with the person, it must have power (fractions of a millimeter away from the skin). This being the case, we then consider that Vader's hands are robotic and electronic. Something as powerful (though not powerful enough to kill) as the lightning would charge the air electrostatically, and would facilitate a jump of electrons from the lightning to any surrounding, conductive material, such as the components that make up Vader's circuitry. Given the multitude of points the lightning comes from and that it is emmited over a wide surface, this provides much oppurtunity for a short circuit. (Remember, a 9-volt battery could fry most circuitry if you let two components that aren't supposed to be connected be connected! wink )

This would also support the visual dictionary's statement that Vader is not invulnerable to it. Either the hands are required for such a strong power as protecting oneself from the lightning, or to use the hands, which seems to be the way it is done, to protect oneself, would expose him to massive short-circuting! In any case, it seems far less like a poor explanation that GL thought up and more like one that required a lot of thought (if he actually took the thought process this far, which most people in his position wouldn't lol)

Captain Caveman
Remember, in ESB, Vader hurls the machinery at Luke WHILE they are having a lightsaber duel.
Clearly his hands were busy holding his saber, so he couldn't use them to point at items and force push them around, like he did as Anakin in ATOC (the conveyor belt scene).

LandoSpeeder2
Man, waiting for episode III is harder then I thought.

Darth Jello
if anakin used force lightning, it would be generated at the stump of his limb, it would then travel through his mechanical arms. this would do three things-
1. Short circuit his arms and melt the wiring
2. melt the leather on his suit*
3. misdirect the lightning in every which way*
*unless his outer skin is rubber, in which case the lightning would be grounded and rubber would be melted

technically he would be able to use it in episode III, but only through his left hand.

shaber
msn-oh

Ogami Itto
The hand gestures is to give us, (the dumbass audience), the notion :"oh he's using the force"

bilb
MORE threads on this?? Sheesh

Does Anakin use Force Lightning? - NO.. end of discussion stick out tongue stick out tongue

Lazerlike42
I would have said the same thing but I didn't want to get yelled at for saying "It's only a movie" wink

Mist
blink a movie? cry

*takes off jedi robes and puts away lightsaber*

sadangel

Cipher
The Visual Dictionary isn't canon, of course, but that is a decent explanation.

Vader using lightning before the armor would have been cool but maybe Lucas thought it would confuse peopple

ayjay
ah k..i KNOW im gonna get payed out so0o much for asking this..but i'm not a HUGE star wars follower, so i dunno heaps...i just like da movies...

is the lightninf force only available to the dark side? cos no one else uses it >__<

*please dun slap me *

DeVi| D0do
*slap*

wink

yes

ayjay
*ouch.....ah k....umm....WHY?....howcome the 'light' side dun have like kool crazy ass equivalent?

DeVi| D0do
I don't know that a Jedi isn't able to conjure ligthning... it's just that a light Jedi would never have the need to...

I dunno, I could be wrong...

ayjay
but if its so powerful....why dun they utilise it?...i mean...it MUST be more powerful than the normal force thingy ryt?

Darth Jello
Yoda:"A Jedi uses the force for knowledge and defense. NEVER for attack."

ayjay
touche

Darth Subjekt
ok look, its quite evident that he made up that lame excuse almost 30 years later, which is when the VD was written. And yes I have seen ROTJ multiple times, and the reason given back then as to why he died was because he came back to the lightside, which is a feat no jedi can handle. Meaning no matter who you are, if you go to the darkside and then come back, you'll die. Granted he had his hand cut off and yea he got shocked from lightning, but thats no why he died. Have you ever had a power surge at home? If so, did the power go off right away, or did it just get weak for a a couple minutes and then go out? Allow me to answer for you, it went out instantly, and so would MECHANICAL Vader if that were the cause of his death.

We have plenty of household electronics that have electricity flowing through thin wires covered with plastic coating.....do they melt? noooooo.

As I mentioned before, the lightning was reserved for the Emperor to show why he was Vaders Master. We thought we had seen everything that could be done through the force, until we see this old ass decrepit man shoot lightning from his hands. Vader could but doesnt need to, and now thats his excuse.

And dooku using it, besides being stupid, is just to show the power of Yoda like someone said before.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.