Steven Spielbergs thoughts on ROTS...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

palpy_666
Spielberg was on a radio show in London this morning and gave some of his thoughts on Episode III...

Host: Stephen have you seen the new Star Wars?

Steven Spielberg: I saw it about a week ago, and it's absolutely amazing it's the best of the last 3 episodes, it's the best way you could possibly imagine for George to finish it off, it has a tremendous ending it's very dark you'll cry at the end, it's wonderful.

Sounds good to me!

You can listen here: http://www2.xfm.co.uk/staticweb/avplayers/vanilla/x_audio_bounty.html?&stream=mms://195.173.73.27/xfm2005/bountyhunter/brekkie_b3_-_steven_spielberg.wma&end

bILLYgOAT
but not as good as EMPIRE

palpy_666
Originally posted by bILLYgOAT

Spielberg said (in his opinion) that it was the best of the PT, not out of all the SW movies.

bILLYgOAT

bILLYgOAT
my point

story, music, effects, acting, lighting blah blah blah etc etc etc
isn't a shade on a film that was made 25 years ago.

I suspect that Spielberg is being diplomatic in his opinion.
I also suspect that he truly feels that the PT hasn't been redeemed by ROTS and this film has consigned PT into the category of shit cinema.
tbh

macgeek2005

How can you say that? What's your IQ?

Sith Master X
People judge the film before it's already out. I really wish they'd would view the darn thing first before saying where the movie ranks in comparison to the others.

Boris
Coola Boola.

macgeek2005
Empire Strikes Back:

Plot:

1. There is a hidden rebel base that gets destroyed by the Empire
2. A group of heros escapes and are tracked to Cloud City.
3. Meanwhile, Luke goes to Dagobah to study to become a Jedi with Yoda.
4. In Bespin, the Empire invades, and Han gets frozen in Carbonite.
5. Luke can feel that they're in trouble but doesn't heed Master Yoda's warning to not go there to help them.
6. In the end they barely escape cloud city, while Luke faces a terrible realisation of the Skywalker Legacy. Then he escapes as well (of course all the important people have to stay alive, I don't know how you can call it dark)

Revenge of the Sith:

1. The Great Clone War is nearing an end. The Seperatists are being deafeated.
2. Jedi Knights Kenobi, and Skywalker Rescue the Captive Chancellor.
3. Anakin Learns that his wife is pregnant, and gets a nightmare that she's going to die in childbirth.
4. In his desperate attempt to save her from the fate he sees for her, he succums to the promises of a Dark Lord of the Sith.
5. Order Sixty-Six is triggered and all the Jedi die, except for Yoda and Obi-Wan.
6. Anakin and Obi-Wan have one of the most fierce Lightsaber battles in the Star Wars History
7. Yoda fight's Palpatine and is deafeated.

.......shall.... i ....... go.......... on? or are all these "Empire cannot be beat" people starting to come to they're senses.

It's just a matter of time. I've personally talked to many people who didn't think Revenge of the Sith could beat the OT, and one by one, I saw them realise the Truth. I doubt that people like BillyGoat have seen 25 minutes of the movie like I have.

I KNOW it's the best. I have proof, but if the people who insist that Empire cannot be beat, are the same people that refuse to watch lots of footage, that's just stupid.

BillyGoat, can you PM me with a description of your thoughts. You got me interested. I really am curious how someone can honestly believe that ROTS will not be ten times greater than Empire. I'd like to try and see your point of view. Cause for me, it's kind of like looking at two colors. One is black, one is white. I know which is black, and I know which is white. For me it's as clear as that.

Like how, can any other star wars film stand up against Revenge of the Sith?

Please PM me, I'd like to know.

bILLYgOAT
Originally posted by macgeek2005
How can you say that? What's your IQ?

now now
stop getting personal
there's no need for that

& stop sending me mail beggin to smoke my coc

Mist

if your just gonna give a blantant remark, at least give something to back it up. you cant judge this movie until may19.

empire might be your favourite SO FAR, but until rots, you really cant compare it.

bILLYgOAT
Empire Strikes Back:

BillyGoat, can you PM me with a description of your thoughts. You got me interested. I really am curious how someone can honestly believe that ROTS will not be ten times greater than Empire. I'd like to try and see your point of view. Cause for me, it's kind of like looking at two colors. One is black, one is white. I know which is black, and I know which is white. For me it's as clear as that.

Like how, can any other star wars film stand up against Revenge of the Sith?

for those who are taking this personal
I'll put it another way
Back then (1970 -80) when ep IV & V came out the audience was truly in awe of SW.
The stories gripped us and the FX & music blew our minds, SW truly raised the bar in cinematic history.
the PT just dosn't do that for a lot of us older fans
WHY??????
well the stories arn't as inspiring, the acting now looks even more wooden than before, and the effects are now no longer ground-breaking.

Mist
everything has changed since the 70's when all this first started. there arent too many good films getting made these days without some flaw somewhere. just chill and wait for rots.....

bILLYgOAT
Originally posted by Mist
just chill and wait for rots.....
I'm chilled mate
OT is my bag, not PT
too bad that in 2006 the critics will say
"Star Wars,
why was the PT so sh!t compared to the OT made 30 years before"

palpy_666
I'm chilled mate
OT is my bag, not PT
too bad that in 2006 the critics will say
"Star Wars,
why was the PT so sh!t compared to the OT made 30 years before"

I don't think so. Believe it or not, I like the PT WAY better than the OT. You say the acting is wooden? Give an example. I beg to differ. I feel the acting is tremendous in these movies. Not only are the effects 100% better than the OT (for obvious reasons), but the plot is just so in depth. The PT has a HUGE scale and a more epic feel to it than the OT. Seeing the Jedi and Sith in action as they should be (100% better saber techniques than in the OT) is just great.

There are many more reasons why the PT is way better than the OT. But don't get me wrong though-- I still love the OT!

macgeek2005
YES. THERES IS SOMEONE SMART HERE. HOORAY. I THOUGHT I REALLY WAS WITH A BUNCH OF IDIOTS.

Sith Master X
I agree palpy 666. Well said.

Darth_Vader05
I have said it before and i will say it again Revenge Of The Sith will be the best Star Wars movie ever made a republic is destroyed and an empire is created what more could you want. I believe that Lucas will give us something to remember!

macgeek2005
Palpy_666 that was very well said. Don't you agree that the majority of us know that it's the best NOW, and the smaller portion of the population which is still stuck on "nothing can beat the OT" will know that it's the best on May 19?

That's what I think.

palpy_666
Palpy_666 that was very well said. Don't you agree that the majority of us know that it's the best NOW, and the smaller portion of the population which is still stuck on "nothing can beat the OT" will know that it's the best on May 19?

That's what I think.

I couldn't agree....................MORE! big grin

In fact, I wrote a review for Episode III.. here it is:

May 19th, 2005 is a special date for the millions, perhaps billions of Star Wars fans all over the globe. The new movie, entitled "Revenge of the Sith", promises to be a movie long remembered in motion picture history. George Lucas, creator of the Star Wars franchise, insists that this movie is much more darker and emotional than his previous works.

In the new film, It has been three years since the events on the planet Geonosis which triggered the galactic wide Clone Wars. Young Anakin Skywalker has grown into an accomplished Jedi Knight, and Obi-Wan Kenobi has taken on the role of General and Jedi Master. Meanwhile, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine continues to be voted more executive powers to help boost the Republic's campaign against Count Dooku's Confederacy of Independant Systems (CIS).

Juggling his life as a Jedi Knight and his private life as husband to Senator Padme Amidala, Anakin Skywalker runs into many hardships during the course of this new film that eventually lead to his turning to the Dark Side of the Force and becoming the Sith Lord, Darth Vader. With the Clone Wars viciously raging on, a new threat is posed to the Republic. General Grievous, a military mastermind working along side the CIS, continues to hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights, claiming his prize, their lightsabers. Ultimately the CIS is destroyed along with it's major supporters and the Republic has found peace.

Supreme Chancellor Palpatine preaches his new doctrines of a safe and secure society to the Senate and is granted the rank of Emperor over his newly formed Galactic Empire. The Galaxy now views Palpatine as their Savior, the man who has brought them peace. Due to his hidden identity as the Dark Lord of the Sith, Palpatine has a burning hatred for the Jedi Knights. He has ordered the execution of each and every Jedi throughout the galaxy using his new, high ranking Leuitenant and Apprentice, Darth Vader. Because the Senate has been convinced that the Jedi Knights were responsible for the Clone Wars, this death sentence is justified.

Tension will rise as we are pinned to the back of our seats with excitement during George Lucas' new film, Revenge of the Sith. Be sure to check it out this May 19th at a theater near you!

macgeek2005
Nice Review!!!

I wrote a kind of dorky review, so I'm not going to post it here........ lol

The Title was "This movie will change what "Star Wars" means"

thejeditraitor
and the effects are now no longer ground-breaking.

oh! hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhhahahahah!

credibility? gone.

macgeek2005
I Love It!!! This thread is just filling up with all the people who are smart enough to realise that Revenge of the Sith is the Best.

There has never been a concentration of intellects this large before.

Keep it up guys!!!

Cipher
Spielberg likes all of his friend's movies, doesn't he?
He liked Eps. 1 and 2.......

DeVi| D0do
Really, I don't give a rats arse about what Spielberg, or anyone else for that matter, thinks of this film.

I'll be my own judge when I see the film on May 19.

ayjay
i loved ep 2...and i cant wait for this.....i hope its everythying its cracked up to be

Luetchyboy
You guys are arguing over a movie we haven't even seen yet. Just relax and wait until we have seen it several times before we can judge which is best/worst.

smoker4
Originally posted by Luetchyboy
You guys are arguing over a movie we haven't even seen yet. Just relax and wait until we have seen it several times before we can judge which is best/worst.

Couldnt agree more, everyones entitled to their own opinion last time i checked, to ask posters what their IQ is, is just plain rude, clown shoe of the highest alumni smokin'

Cheesiness
......But not as good as EMPIRE

ayjay
but how czan ppl say its not as good as empire...of they havent seen ROTS....imo...their not gonna enjoy it as much as the rest of us..cos they have this fixated thing in their heads saying..."This is car, no where near as good as empire..blah blah"...so yeah...they lose out in the end.....

DeVi| D0do
well, see for me ESB is in a completely different league to the PT...

I know for certain ROTS will not succeed ESB... and you're right, part of the reason I will not like ROTS as much as ESB is because I wont let myself... but I'm fine with that. I like it that way. smile

ayjay
i wish i could see em do OT with today's tech and choreography....woulda been koooooool

Stunrun
Empire Strikes Back:

Plot:

1. There is a hidden rebel base that gets destroyed by the Empire
2. A group of heros escapes and are tracked to Cloud City.
3. Meanwhile, Luke goes to Dagobah to study to become a Jedi with Yoda.
4. In Bespin, the Empire invades, and Han gets frozen in Carbonite.
5. Luke can feel that they're in trouble but doesn't heed Master Yoda's warning to not go there to help them.
6. In the end they barely escape cloud city, while Luke faces a terrible realisation of the Skywalker Legacy. Then he escapes as well (of course all the important people have to stay alive, I don't know how you can call it dark)

Revenge of the Sith:

1. The Great Clone War is nearing an end. The Seperatists are being deafeated.
2. Jedi Knights Kenobi, and Skywalker Rescue the Captive Chancellor.
3. Anakin Learns that his wife is pregnant, and gets a nightmare that she's going to die in childbirth.
4. In his desperate attempt to save her from the fate he sees for her, he succums to the promises of a Dark Lord of the Sith.
5. Order Sixty-Six is triggered and all the Jedi die, except for Yoda and Obi-Wan.
6. Anakin and Obi-Wan have one of the most fierce Lightsaber battles in the Star Wars History
7. Yoda fight's Palpatine and is deafeated.

.......shall.... i ....... go.......... on? or are all these "Empire cannot be beat" people starting to come to they're senses.

It's just a matter of time. I've personally talked to many people who didn't think Revenge of the Sith could beat the OT, and one by one, I saw them realise the Truth. I doubt that people like BillyGoat have seen 25 minutes of the movie like I have.

I KNOW it's the best. I have proof, but if the people who insist that Empire cannot be beat, are the same people that refuse to watch lots of footage, that's just stupid.

Like how, can any other <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=star%20wars" onmouseover="window.status='star wars'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">star wars</a> film stand up against Revenge of the Sith?

25 minutes of the movie? blink how can you say which is better if youve only saw 25 minutes!? since we know the entire plot, and after reading the novel, as great as it is, its not gonna be no match for Empire. Thats a future fact i could bet money on!

palpy_666
Originally posted by ayjay
i wish i could see em do OT with today's tech and choreography....woulda been koooooool

IMO, Lucas will deffinately be redoing the OT with fresh new CG, emptying out all space battle shots and redoing them, along with all explosions, puppets, and seventies looking mechanics. I also believe he'll replace the audio tracks (especially for IV) with higher quality sound. It would be great to add "Battle of the Heroes" to Obi-Wan and Vader's fight in IV as well as have a CG Vader and Obi-Wan battle it out to look just like a PT fight. I'm sure we will be seeing many, many changes like this (good changes-- can't wait!). I firmly believe that when we watch the OT in the future, there will be no way of distinguishing it from the PT, that's how good it will look and sound.

If you want a sample of what the OT can look like redone with todays technology, just look at the menus for the OT DVDs and it's bonus disk. I especially love how good the scene is with Luke training with the Remote from IV (on the Bonus disk). It looks really great. Also the Battle of Endor scenes and Admiral Ackbar turning around in his seat-- again, looks great and is just a sample of what can be done to the OT.

ayjay
o0o wooow!...much thnx palp...dat makes me happy...cos the OT deserves the retouches...they have really good plots....

i heard a theory for the 'slow' fight btw obi and darth...

its to conserve energy..and relies more on precision rather than speed...lolz...yes yes..farfetched i know...but it COULD be used as a plausible excuse ^__^

Stunrun
Originally posted by palpy_666
IMO, Lucas will deffinately be redoing the OT with fresh new CG, emptying out all space battle shots and redoing them, along with all explosions, puppets, and seventies looking mechanics. I also believe he'll replace the audio tracks (especially for IV) with higher quality sound. It would be great to add "Battle of the Heroes" to Obi-Wan and Vader's fight in IV as well as have a CG Vader and Obi-Wan battle it out to look just like a PT fight. I'm sure we will be seeing many, many changes like this (good changes-- can't wait!). I firmly believe that when we watch the OT in the future, there will be no way of distinguishing it from the PT, that's how good it will look and sound.

If you want a sample of what the OT can look like redone with todays technology, just look at the menus for the OT DVDs and it's bonus disk. I especially love how good the scene is with Luke training with the Remote from IV (on the Bonus disk). It looks really great. Also the Battle of Endor scenes and Admiral Ackbar turning around in his seat-- again, looks great and is just a sample of what can be done to the OT.

now that would completley destroy the originality of the OT. Very bad move in my opinion, the OT is great the way it is. To create Yoda in CG over the puppet would be like destroying a work of art, and that goes for the entire original trilogy

exanda kane
Lucas is pretty ignorant of the efforts of people who made the OT so compelling, I'm not saying I'm against some of the OT being redone further than the dvd boxset but If I was the guy that spent a whole bloody week cramped in a small space wobbling a little green frog in a swamp on the floor above and I saw that it was replaced with a fake looking cg charachter i'd be pretty peeved.

The other reason why I don't believe RotS can redeem PT is the charachters. I couldn't careless about half the jedi, anakin pre-suit and the pathetic Grevious.
How can Jar Jar compare to Han Solo?
CG animations is all well and good but when you've got a whole screen of droids and gungans i lose interest pretty quickly.

I could'nt care if padme dies at all. It's a problem that Lucas should have done somethng about. He created the OT with archetypel charchters who we all believed in and now he has to pick up the strings and try to piece together a misguided story.

exanda kane
Xfm Rules!

macgeek2005
Originally posted by Stunrun
25 minutes of the movie? blink how can you say which is better if youve only saw 25 minutes!? since we know the entire plot, and after reading the novel, as great as it is, its not gonna be no match for Empire. Thats a future fact i could bet money on!

How can you be so sure of that?

This is like comparing rotten Oranges to fresh oranges?

DO YOU KNOW THE PLOT OF REVENGE OF THE SITH?
DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENDS IN IT?

Sometimes I think people like you just don't know the story. How else can it be explained that you think TESB can still be a better movie.

I don't get it..... I just don't get it!!!!!!!!!!

I repeat, DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENDS IN REVENGE OF THE SITH?
HAS IT GOTTEN INTO YOUR BRAIN YET? DO YOU GET IT? THE FALL OF A THOUSAND YEAR OLD REPUBLIC, THE BIRTH OF AN EMPIRE, THE TRAGEDY OF A HERO, THE END OF A WAR, THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL, A JEDI'S SLIDE TO THE DARK SIDE, A BRILLIANT SITH LORD, THE DESTRUCTION OF THE JEDI.

DO!!!!!!!! YOU!!!!!!!! GET!!!!!!!!! IT!!!!!!!!!??????????????

OR DOES IT JUST NOT COMPREHEND ITSELF IN YOUR BRAIN????

macgeek2005
WELLLLLLL?????

Ogami Itto
Easy...it's only an opinion! Revenge of the sith will be great but as of now u cant make a sound judgement until u see it!! its unlikely but all we've seen in the trailors could be the best bits of the film!

smoker4
WELLLLLLL?????

STFU smokin'

bilb

Now THAT is just funny!! The dude has basically said (tho not in so many words) that he is SICK of SW!! He's been doing it for 30 years now. And he has said over & over that he NOW has the OT the way he wants it. If there are any more changes to it (God help us) they will probably be very minor, no new scenes or soundt4rack additions. And the OT is PERFECT just how it is, or was, or was 10 uears ago, or was it 20?? Aww hell, with all the revisions he has done, who can keep track! stick out tongue

bILLYgOAT
I don't think so. Believe it or not, I like the PT WAY better than the OT. You say the acting is wooden? Give an example.
I U]beg to differ. I feel the acting is tremendous in these movies.
you'll be begging for sure.
the acting is mediocre at best.
Jake Loyd....FOR FUC SAKE
so the Lucass cut Ani choking Greedo to include our future Dark Lord of the Sith shouting YIPEEE in TPM.
Nice 1 GEORGE

Liam Neeson...We comes from the same County in Ireland so he's practically blood.. and he gave a performance in Schindlers List that brought the house down.
However,
he was shit in TPM and he'll admit that, but to be truthful, it wasn't all his fault .

shall I go on?

BTW
MACGEEK
your opinion is VOID, now go & kill yourself please.

I thank you

Mist
everyone has an opinion....dont trash it.

and i would leave the sw world behind if ever OT changed to suit modern films.....

bILLYgOAT

please expand

DeVi| D0do
and i would leave the sw world behind if ever OT changed to suit modern films.....

hell yeah!

Cheesiness
It sounds rather medicore, I for one am not shallow enough to like cartoony special effects over the perfection that was Empire.

kashmircat
I repeat, DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENDS IN REVENGE OF THE SITH?
HAS IT GOTTEN INTO YOUR BRAIN YET? DO YOU GET IT? THE FALL OF A THOUSAND YEAR OLD REPUBLIC, THE BIRTH OF AN EMPIRE, THE TRAGEDY OF A HERO, THE END OF A WAR, THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL, A JEDI'S SLIDE TO THE DARK SIDE, A BRILLIANT SITH LORD, THE DESTRUCTION OF THE JEDI.

DO!!!!!!!! YOU!!!!!!!! GET!!!!!!!!! IT!!!!!!!!!??????????????

OR DOES IT JUST NOT COMPREHEND ITSELF IN YOUR BRAIN????

is the caps lock stuck on your keyboard? i had that problem the other day with my 'o' key. you got to take the little plastic bit off and fiddle around with the little plunger device underneath it. it usually fixes the problem.

macgeek2005
Yeah. Thanks for the help. I fixed it now.

bILLYgOAT
Yeah. Thanks for the help. I fixed it now.
hey wa.ker
you haven't addressed the points raised

Mist
please expand

well...if it was changed to how who ever it was said on the other page.....all the effects, digital yoda..blah blah. theres no need.

why dont all directors go back and change their films to suit modern films.

its been like, what, 3yrs since the fellowship of the ring came out? maybe PJ should go back and remake it, its a little outdated.

point is, you DONT remake classics, thats why theyre called CLASSICS.

bILLYgOAT
& i agree
thx for the expansion

bILLYgOAT
However
regarding the epIV Haircuts ........................

Lazerlike42
Ok as far as acting is concerned all I am gonna say is Mark Hamill....

This is a disease that has infected our society, really. It's just the way things work. People refuse to like anything new, no matter what. People hated the last two Matrix films, why? They weren't terrible. They were new! Nobody would see Star Trek Nemesis which was a good film. Why? Rick Berman (who is NEW) produced it. People can never see movies as good anymore because they always have to find some reason why they aren't as good as what came before. People hate the PT for one reason and one reason only.... it is not the OT.

And ROTJ is WAY better than Empire anyways! Happy Dance mad Happy Dance

LIL-G
r.o.t.s I.M.V will be the new e.s.b

exanda kane
one thing . . . ewoks!

smoker4
Originally posted by exanda kane
one thing . . . ewoks!

Another thing Jar-Jar smokin'

exanda kane
True, so true.

ArynCrinn
Can't we jsut be happy saying that all the movies are great?

DeVi| D0do
Star Wars is great. The movies are not particularly...

if ya know what I mean.

Batman316
you can stick TPM, AOTC,ROTS,ESB and ROTJ all up your left nostril's with or without lubrication.

A NEW HOPE..... the PT leads to it, the OT come from it. SW revolves around ANH and it's dodgy acting, poor script work, miserable lightsaber duel. But it is the only movie to have technically been called "STAR WARS" without the 'Episode' add on's

What his has to do with 'Steven Spielbergs thoughts on ROTS...' I have no idea, my name isn't even Steven

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.