Why do enemies put up with each other

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stefan Kojic
This is confusing. Anakin has dark force powers so why doesn't he force choke Obi instead of dueling with him? In ROTJ, Vader could simply choke Luke to death. I know Star Wars is supposed to be fancy with all the lightsaber duels, but it's not common that a person more powerful than his enemy doesn't want to kill him by using the Force and wants to lose in a saber duel. confused

Morridini
Perhaps Force users have some way to deflect the choke power, or something like that.

Ushgarak
Doolku settled this in AOTC. Force powers ae not sufficiently effective against Jedi of even vaguely comparable power.

These things have to be settled by sabre duels.

Stefan Kojic
But Dooku was less powerful than Yoda, that's why he started dueling. Anakin is mre powerful than Obi and Luke and could have killed them

Camo Di Mass
Anakin wasn't more powerful then Obi Wan .

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Stefan Kojic
But Dooku was less powerful than Yoda, that's why he started dueling. Anakin is mre powerful than Obi and Luke and could have killed them

Conjecture which I think the events of the film show is untrue. He could not have killed them otherwise he WOULD. Nor did Yoda use the Force to try and best Obi-Wan.

It really is this simple- you can ONLY DO THIS WITH SABRES.

smoker4
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Conjecture which I think the events of the film show is untrue. He could not have killed them otherwise he WOULD. Nor did Yoda use the Force to try and best Obi-Wan.

It really is this simple- you can ONLY DO THIS WITH SABRES.

Yeap thats a fact, but i dont remember Yoda fighting Obi-wan? laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Good point that man... literally true of me to say, but unhelpful. I did of course mean Dooku.

smoker4
Good point that man... literally true of me to say, but unhelpful. I did of course mean Dooku.

Yes, its just rare to see an ush typo smokin'

Stefan Kojic
Well lets say Anie couldn't kill Obi, but still Luke didn't use any force powers in any of the OT movies. Suerly a man like Vader( the Chosen One) could kill his son easily by choking him. He could only have felt guilty to kill his son and didn't use the Force on him.

Ushgarak
No, he was trying to kill him in ROTJ, else the scene has no drama.

Anyway, Vader had lost most of his power by then- the idea he was really powerful with the Force is an odd myth, never backed on-screen.

The only time we have ever seen a force user beat the othjer with the Force is the Emperor- most powerful force user in the Galaxy- beat Luke- a half-trained padawan.

Wow, fair fight!

Like I say, if the two are anywhere even vaguely near each other in power, it has to be sabre duels, as backed by the film, and the only possible reason is that force powers won't do the job!

Echuu
No, he was trying to kill him in ROTJ, else the scene has no drama.

Anyway, Vader had lost most of his power by then- the idea he was really powerful with the Force is an odd myth, never backed on-screen.

The only time we have ever seen a force user beat the othjer with the Force is the Emperor- most powerful force user in the Galaxy- beat Luke- a half-trained padawan.

Wow, fair fight!

Like I say, if the two are anywhere even vaguely near each other in power, it has to be sabre duels, as backed by the film, and the only possible reason is that force powers won't do the job!

The only thing that really shows vader as a powerful force user would be when he is throwing all that crap at Luke. But still thats not too great of an example.

Stefan Kojic
So a half-trained padawan beat a Dark apprentice that fought in the Clone Wars, destroyed the Jedi, killed Dooku and was trained by two most powerful masters( Obi and Palps) just because he's a machine? Then i expect Grievious to lose to a Jedi youngling... laughing

Echuu
Originally posted by Stefan Kojic
So a half-trained padawan beat a Dark apprentice that fought in the Clone Wars, destroyed the Jedi, killed Dooku and was trained by two most powerful masters( Obi and Palps) just because he's a machine? Then i expect Grievious to lose to a Jedi youngling... laughing

I think he was referring to Luke

Ushgarak
Yes- because as directly stated by George Lucas, Vader had lost lost of his power.

smoker4
Yeap Vader is severely powered down after his lava bath

DenKi
Originally posted by Camo Di Mass
Anakin wasn't more powerful then Obi Wan .

God,

I hate when we get retarded posters, Make so Sense please, go watch the films

jimmy986
vader also did not want to kill luke. he wanted him to turn to the dark side and help him kill the emperor to rule the galaxy together

TheElectricFox
appearntly they took a page out of Dr. Evil's book of overly complicated deaths!!

dAngEr_Is_gO!
Originally posted by DenKi
God,

I hate when we get retarded posters, Make so Sense please, go watch the films

Correct me if I'm wrong but Obi Wan does dismember Anakin in a fair fight and offs a Sith Apprentice as a Padawan in TPM, so the guy definately has skills when it comes to armed combat. Whether he is a greater Jedi than Anakin is debatable but he dispatched Anakin pretty much at the top of his game in a sabre duel when many had failed.

mtryder
The miscommunication being that 'more powerful' and 'better' are not one and the same. Anakin IS the most powerful force user of all time. Since he never fully harnesses this power, however, he can never be the 'best' force user.

dAngEr_Is_gO!
Good point. Ah, semantics you gotta love them stick out tongue

Creechuur
So many plot holes and logic problems in the SW fillms can be solved with the following truth: Its a movie, and it looks cooler to do it that way.

Lightsaber battles look incredibly more cool than two guys pointing at each other with constipated looks on their faces.

I'm a huge EU fan, and I like to figure out why certain things are done certain ways, and how sci-fi tech works and all that...but for you canon spouting "movies are the only truth" folks out there, youre gonna find that "it looks cooler that way" explains almost every illogical thing Lucas does.

chilled monkey
Where's the fun in that?

It is explained in 'Shatterpoint' that Padawans learn to counter Force-kinesis before they even start lightsabre training.

SithKiller
I havent read the first page of this thread so if someone already said this blame it on the vodka...lol...but hey you want to counter a force choke you use a force push! Simple! Go play Jedi Knight II

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.