Lucas Forced Himself To Write Episode III

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lau_timmy
(imdb news)
"Hollywood mogul George Lucas struggled so much with writing the screenplay for final Star Wars installment Episode Iii - Revenge Of The Sith, he had to force himself to stick to a rigid working day as he sought inspiration. The hugely successful movie-maker, 60, took on the persona of a normal office worker as he sat at his desk for nine hours a day, five days a week - and he still only managed to produce five pages everyday. He says, "I am very diligent about writing. I go to work at 8.30am and leave at 6pm. I sit there with that page in front of me but I still can't write it. I do get it done, I actually write five pages a day. But I force myself - otherwise I would probably write a page a day."

He should of called back Jonathan Hales or another writer to help him with the screenplay. He did write A New Hope and The Phantom Menace all by himself.

TheElectricFox
Getting other people to help you write scripts for a movie of your own invention produces well... sucky movies.

Falacerjedi
Press screenings were today here in Hollywood... I listen to Mark & Brian (a staple in LA morning radio for the last 20 years out here) and they both got invites to see it today ... will find out in a few hours when they go on the air (6am pst) what they thought of it.

tlbauerle
Why?

Why does every message board have to post the same topics? I mean...exact...right down to the stupid title!

Is not one enough to discuss it?

jango fatt
yeah

JKozzy
Originally posted by tlbauerle
Why?

Why does every message board have to post the same topics? I mean...exact...right down to the stupid title!

Is not one enough to discuss it? And it's not even a good topic to discuss.

Mist
and im gonna force myself to watch it.

tlbauerle
I force my dog to crap...

"Damnit Indy! Go potty...or no treats for you!!!"

...yes...I named the dog "Indiana."

me <------ GEEK

my wife supports it.

Obi-OneManShow
I named the cat Indiana, 12 years old now...

Batman316
I wanted to call my son Indiana but my wife wouldn't allow it...

DARTH DADDY
If our daughter would have been a boy, I wanted to name him Sebastian Anakin. She didn't go for it. But we had a girl so we named here Savannah Olivia. She wouldn't go for Leia or Padme.

Darth_Vader05
Can someone please close this thread please!

jango fatt
Why would someone need to close this thread?

ArynCrinn
What do you mean getting other people to help write your scripts is bad?
TESB was written by a few people, and it was good.

DeVi| D0do
it would depend who is writing the script. If you've got several peopl who all have the same understanding of whats going on then it works well. Otherwise you're pretty screwed

tpaquin
Originally posted by DARTH DADDY
If our daughter would have been a boy, I wanted to name him Sebastian Anakin. She didn't go for it. But we had a girl so we named here Savannah Olivia. She wouldn't go for Leia or Padme. Lando Chewbacca is my would-be son's name.

ShotgunWes
I always liked the name C-3PO myself...

lau_timmy
Does anyone remember Timothy Zahn and Tom Veitch. The two people were most responsible for the Star Wars Renaissance of the early 1990's? Why couldn't George Lucas just let them help him write the prequels? They certainly treated the characters and saga with respect. They made some of the best stories Star Wars has ever seen apart from the original trilogy. Everybody would still call Lucas a genius even if he never wrote a single word.

Timothy Zahn wrote Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command in the early 90's.
Tom Veitch wrote Dark Empire and Tales Of The Jedi for Dark Horse Comics in the early 90's.

smoker4
Dark Empire sick sick sick

tlbauerle
Originally posted by smoker4
Dark Empire sick sick sick

Is that for DE 1, 2, Empire's End....or the very fact the novels made it cannon in Jedi Search! stick out tongue

smoker4
Dark Empire = Cannon? i dont think so, not in this reality confused

Sesse
I suppose it has an impressive range of fire then? Happy Dance

smoker4
blink laughing out loud

Lucas Sucks!
That happends because he doesnt know how to write at all.
You cant force a good story you have to feel what youre writing otherwise it will come out as every star wars films he has writen. All his friends has said it before even he... im a bad writer

Originally posted by lau_timmy
(imdb news)
"Hollywood mogul George Lucas struggled so much with writing the screenplay for final Star Wars installment Episode Iii - Revenge Of The Sith, he had to force himself to stick to a rigid working day as he sought inspiration. The hugely successful movie-maker, 60, took on the persona of a normal office worker as he sat at his desk for nine hours a day, five days a week - and he still only managed to produce five pages everyday. He says, "I am very diligent about writing. I go to work at 8.30am and leave at 6pm. I sit there with that page in front of me but I still can't write it. I do get it done, I actually write five pages a day. But I force myself - otherwise I would probably write a page a day."

He should of called back Jonathan Hales or another writer to help him with the screenplay. He did write A New Hope and The Phantom Menace all by himself.

ab2421
Lucas Forced Himself To Write Episode III
------ Unfortunately, it shows.

By the sound of some of the reviews, this could be the reason for the lack of quality dialogue in ROTS.

Darth_Janus
" I hate sand.... It's rough and it gets everywhere."

Not exactly Shakespearian dialogue there. The man made an excellent science fantasy, but he pulled a Darth Maul on the actual speech.

tlbauerle
Alright all you genius know it all fan biatches...

Go write your own script for the most anticipated film of all time AND run a company without having to regiment yourself to a strict schedule.

El_NINO
With all the money he has, dont you guys think he could have hired a few writters to help him out??? wink

tlbauerle
And a few good writer as that...but if he wanted to do it by himself...I can understand that.

Sesse
" I hate sand.... It's rough and it gets everywhere."

"Oh, Ye hear me now. This sand in my clothes scratching. Destryoing my very existence. But if thou shall, I would inform Thee, that my hate lingers with sand, from this day on!"

Perhaps he wanted to be sure that if someone messed up the movies, it would be he.

Darth_Janus
Fair enough. I can see wanting to make a movie all by yourself, but really, I can make better dialogue regardless of circumstances. Some people have it, and some don't. If I can't critic his style simply because he made a blockbuster movie series and owns a business then I guess I can't critic the president, or any world leader, or my parents, or hell, why stop there? Let's not critic anyone who does anything I can't/won't do? Can't critic plumbers...

Oh wait, that's piss poor logic. Phew. Almost got me.

JediStang
Timothy Zahn, wow. I bought a copy of Heir to the Empire for .25 cents at a re-sale shop. Problem was it wasn't used.

lau_timmy
"Dialogue is not my thing," Lucas freely admits, adding, "I don't like writing, and I don't like scripts."

queeq
And it shows! wink

lau_timmy
He could of hired back Lawrence Kasdan who helped him with ESB and ROTJ.

queeq
OH YES!

Ben-Kenobi
Yeah he could have, but he didnt, so lets all rally up the imperial army and raid the skywalker ranch.

queeq
YES!!

star22
No! We don't want to ruin our chances of watching the movie.

queeq
It's already out there, man. Now we can kill the lot before they start the tv-series.

lau_timmy
The screenplay for ROTS was pretty bad. At least Lucas gave his best.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.