Does this bug anyone?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

gambit420
After reading the ROTS screenplay and the detailed reviews over at MF.com, I cannot believe there is absolutely no spoken dialogue between Obi-Wan and the Lars family! This should have been a priority to tie in the prequels. What does he tell them happened to Anakin? and why do they resent obi-wan so much in episode 4? A man they've never seen before just shows up and and hands them a baby? it's a moisture farm not an orphange.

Another thing is the Mon Mothma/early rebellion scenes that have been cut from the movie. I'm sure Lucas will include it in his Super Special Archival Edition, but it's one of those things you assumed you would see covered in the prequel trilogy

*chappelle voice* Why???

astrofan428
Mon Mothma doesnt really bother me.

But the Lars thing is somewhat unresolved.

jango fatt
They both bother me

tpaquin
Originally posted by gambit420
After reading the ROTS screenplay and the detailed reviews over at MF.com, I cannot believe there is absolutely no spoken dialogue between Obi-Wan and the Lars family! This should have been a priority to tie in the prequels. What does he tell them happened to Anakin? and why do they resent obi-wan so much in episode 4? A man they've never seen before just shows up and and hands them a baby? it's a moisture farm not an orphange.

Another thing is the Mon Mothma/early rebellion scenes that have been cut from the movie. I'm sure Lucas will include it in his Super Special Archival Edition, but it's one of those things you assumed you would see covered in the prequel trilogy

*chappelle voice* Why??? Your cynicism made me laugh so hard.

I agree with you 100% about the Lars thing. As far as we all can tell, Obi Wab stops in, Smiles, ahnds them a baby, and walks away. They then stare cinematically off into the sunset. No explanation whatsoever.

Not cool.

mandalorian_war
maybe something happens before hand where obi1 contacts them and tells them whats going on

The Ones
maybe. or maybe its another of lucas's continuity errors

((The_Anomaly))
hhaha, maybe its just implied that they talk...

u know what i mean...

lucas doesn't want to repeat a bunch of stuff the audience already knows, so its prolly an implied talking scene...kinda like a little montage...

astrofan428
It looks as though they know before hand, Obi simply hands him to Beru who smiles who then joins Owen as he looks at the sunset.

But Beru seems nice to Obi so the "crazy old hermit" thing is still in the air.

Though he simply could have told them either that his name was Ben or that it was best to call him Ben. He could have given them the baby without telling them his plans for him. So if he where to tell them that Obi-Wan was dead, it would be natural to tell Luke that same thing.(this is hard for me to explain, still doesnt make much sense)

Alliance
The both bug me. It seems absurd that there is no dialogue between Lars and Kenobi. How do you even know the Child is your nephew if someone just hands you a baby. And I cant believe they cut Mon Mothma The formation of the rebellion is CRITICAL!!!!

LandoSpeeder2
well, I'm sure they discussed off screen. Like Obi Wan trained Lars's step brother and crap. I mean, we can come up with this stuff on our own, they have to have some kind of communicating device.

Dart Saber
I think that Owen tells Obi1:
" Thank you for the kid, now go away you crazy hermit. When Luke asks about you i will tell him that you are old, crazy and hermit...and dead hehehe"

Darth Subjekt
who knows, this could all be the "surprise" that we've been hearing about in the past. I dont know why, its not that big of a shock, but knowing lucas, it very well could be.

Oh yeah, i remember reading somewhere a while ago, that The Lars' blame OB1 and the Jedi for what happened to Anakin and thats why Owen has such an attitude about OB1 in Ep 4. Something like when Ben goes to give them Luke, he gives him a whole bunch of shit and says dont ever come back here and you'll never do to Luke what you did to Anakin.....ya know, that type of thing.

Dart Saber
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt

Oh yeah, i remember reading somewhere a while ago, that The Lars' blame OB1 and the Jedi for what happened to Anakin and thats why Owen has such an attitude about OB1 in Ep 4. Something like when Ben goes to give them Luke, he gives him a whole bunch of shit and says dont ever come back here and you'll never do to Luke what you did to Anakin.....ya know, that type of thing.

My point exactly, but with a little humor

astrofan428
Maybe Ewan can make a guest appearance on the tv show and get in a big argument with Owen.

LandoSpeeder2
Originally posted by astrofan428
Maybe Ewan can make a guest appearance on the tv show and get in a big argument with Owen. jerry

astrofan428
Originally posted by LandoSpeeder2
jerry

Owen will claim Obi-Wan slept with Beru, then Obi-Wan will start force throwing chairs around. By the time it is over Obi-Wan and Beru are together while Ownen admits he is gay,

And by the way, you can get a smilie for everything apparently.

Batman316
I've got no issues with either....

we can assume that Owen knows about the destruction of the Jedi Temple. Thinks Anakin is dead, Obi arrives shows them his lightsaber, hands them Luke and says to 'raise him like your own'

Heck maybe Owen and Beru can't have kids so they consider this strange guy giving them a baby a blessing. There is no woman alive who would say no to taking in an orphan baby if they themselves could not concieve.

But really does this matter? If you want to get technical why is it Luke Skywalker and not Luke Lars? Why is it that they do not simply tell Luke he is their child?

Basically you can make up the scene in your head, we know the relationship that Owen and Beru form with Luke, we know they consider Obi a crazy old hermit. Just fill in the blanks.

Maybe the whole talking to Qui Gons ghost is the reason they think Obi is crazy?

But over all I really think having no dialogue in that scene will make it all the more powerful because the emotion will be covered by the soundtrack. I'm backing myself to have tears welling in my eyes once.....

The Baby is Luke Skywalker..... A New Hope.....

And Obi walking into the sunset will just be pure magic... the hero who will one day return when the Princess is in trouble.....

Would you really want to trust such scenes with the quality of dialogue that GL writes? or would you trust John Williamson's soundtrack to say it all without words?

macgeek2005
Originally posted by gambit420

*chappelle voice* Why???

They've never actually "seen" him before. But he's anakin's trainer. and They were at shmi's funeral. And Anakin was there. so this is anakin's son. and since the scene is done in silence, you can assume that theres some conversation between them. Low mumbling conversation, that they didn't actually let you hear, so that it's much more mysterious.

Jedi Priestess
Not every single thing needs to be explained, I think we all get the general idea when Obi-Wan leaves Luke and that dialog isnt necessary. Mon-Montha is no loss as far as Im concerned. You guys have to remember, if he'd left everyting you all want in the film then we'd have more than likely lost duel footage. And THAT would be unacceptable.

Batman316
to Jedi Priestess you listen smile

astrofan428
I love this sudden increase in....

"To _______ you listen" posts big grin

Jedi Priestess
^ ^ ^
stick out tongue stick out tongue

Batman I LOVE love that sig!

Batman316
*blushes

why thankya maam

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.