GL Political Bashing with III, thoughts?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PENGUINER
Looks like GL and some Danish director (who bashes America) are being celebrated for their anti-americanism. GL is drawing parallels, it seems, with Bush and Palpatine. Media is playing to it, and GL is not denying it.

My thought is -- this is STAR WARS! PLEASE, GL, STOP THE MADNESS!

Fantasy should remain fantasy. With all the political bashing in the SW movies by GL himself, why is GL getting involved???

What do you think?

astrofan428
It doesnt really bother me, if it werent for all the talk about I doubt I would even notice. And while now I will notice it, I wont put any thought into it.

LightSaber_Part
I don't think that Uncle Gorge would be anti-America

Lazerlike42
This has been discussed on the forums again and again (usually with me in the middle lol).... in spite of all the differences of political opinions, most people have agreed it's not a commentary, and the fact remains the plot was written in 1997!

Mulletman262
Doubt it, I do. Hopefully, messages like this, Lucas put into his films, he will not.

Okay. No more talking like Yoda. Bad idea.

hunchy
yeah he might have had the basics done in 1997, but it wasnt finished then. theres always time to add little hints and nods towards things going on in the world, as he did with the original films. altho i think some people just made the comparision between what they thought bush was like palpatine...which is ridiculous...but really palpatine's character was always heading this way....so I dont think it was purposeful.

Soda
Oh no, please dont say anything about beloved Bush, because that means ur a terrorist...face it Bush is a fuking tosser, u americans need to open ur minds

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by hunchy
yeah he might have had the basics done in 1997, but it wasnt finished then. theres always time to add little hints and nods towards things going on in the world, as he did with the original films. altho i think some people just made the comparision between what they thought bush was like palpatine...which is ridiculous...but really palpatine's character was always heading this way....so I dont think it was purposeful.

right little hints and nods can be added but the proponents of the idea that Bush is Palpatine have always based it on the overal concept, and have argued vehemently that it is the overall concept that matters and not the fine points; the overall concept is a 1997 creation.

PENGUINER
LightSaber_Part, read this and see if your opinion of GL is still correct...

http://www.indiewire.com/onthescene/onthescene_050516cann.html

All this bashing is kind of turning me off...and I"m a big fan.... It cut down on the excitement for me....

LightSaber_Part
Originally posted by PENGUINER
LightSaber_Part, read this and see if your opinion of GL is still correct...

http://www.indiewire.com/onthescene/onthescene_050516cann.html

All this bashing is kind of turning me off...and I"m a big fan.... It cut down on the excitement for me....

Well then I best not read it before I see the movie.

DarkYoda
I think the Emperor and the Empire is more of a symbolism for Nazi Germany and Hitler. Nazis were even called Stormtroopers back then.

It is simple history that Hitler came to power the same way Palpatine did. It's nothing new.

If people draw parallels between the Bush administration and this movie it is only because history is repeating itself perhaps, and it is being exposed.

Lazerlike42
GL is known for being anti-Nazi.

astrofan428
Oh No, not Anti-Nazi!!!

Lazerlike42
lol well it's not a bad thing

DarkYoda
The idea of a democracy crumbling and becoming a militaristic empire is nothing new to Star Wars. It was present back in 1977.

In reality, Lucas may very well be trying to include minor stuff (like dialogue) based on recent events in modern history. Why? To make such themes resonate more strongly with audiences.

I'm surprised there isn't more talk of the Jedi Temple scene in the media being a parallel to Sept 11th. confused

astrofan428
There where a few grumblings when the trailer debuted, maybe more when the movie hits.

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by DarkYoda
The idea of a democracy crumbling and becoming a militaristic empire is nothing new to Star Wars. It was present back in 1977.

In reality, Lucas may very well be trying to include stuff based on recent events in modern history. Why? To make such themes resonate more strongly with audiences.

I'm surprised there isn't more talk of the Jedi Temple scene in the media being a parallel to Sept 11th. confused

I'm confused... confused how is it parallel?

astrofan428
Just the image really, the smoke billowing out of the most notable building around.

Look at it next to a picture of 9/11, youll see it.

Lazerlike42
oh I see I thought the reference was to the general situation

DarkYoda
Unless you believe that Bush puts on a black hood and commands terrorists to strike the heart of the nation in order to create fear and chaos that causes people to give up their rights for more security? Hmmm. wink

Gangularis
DArkYoda.. you're great.

you said everything i wanted to say. .. now i don't have to wrack my brain for the words.

DarkYoda
Except somehow I doubt Bush is smart enough to pull something like that off and get away with it. Cheney maybe? hmm.

Ushgarak
Hmm, politics... SW area... no thankyou!

Sorry, too contentious. This is a happy place (in theory), and I foresee much unhappiness here.

Closing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.