Best RPG ever.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cyclops
kind of simialr to "Best Final Fantasy Ever," but no-holds-barred.

Best Role-Playing Game Ever.

Linkalicious
i go with Crono Trigger...that game changed how i look at RPGs

Tptmanno1
I'd have to say Escape Velocity.
If you haven't played that game check it out!
Its soo tight. type it into google and you'll get it, Its a shareware game tho but the best RPG ever!

VengeanceGOD
Final Fantasy 6, with Ocarina of Time and Knights of the Old Republic following close behind.

MasterWizard
Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, and Neverwinter Nights. KoTOR was also good. So was Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

Raventheonly
Morrowind, all three parts, is the best ever made; completely limitless Awesome power possible

Baldur's Gate

Baldur's Gate 2 shadows of Amn

Neverwinter Nights all three parts

KoTOR

Cyclops
Silent Hill hasn't been mentioned yet... weird. Neither has a single Resident Evil.

Wow....

They were both "off the hook".... ebonically speaking.

AbercrombieSora
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 is going to be great, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy XI, and others.

sith_darth_jay
blink SH and RE???
are those RPG's??? confused

Dregh
Tales Of Phantasia / Seiken Densetsu 3 / Shining Force II

Cyclops
More or less. I class them as RPG's... what about you? Adventure?

They are kind of in a grey area of class. They could be either or, but I class them as RPG.

sith_darth_jay
well, they're s'pose to be survival horror games or something like that, but not RPG's, there isn't much interaction with NPC, like regular RPG's.

i think they are in a whole different class, but you could say they are RPG's

Cyclops
Yeah, I suppose. But there are the odd characters you could interact with, given the timing is right.
While on the topic of defining games as RPG's or not, what about Parasite Eve? Same thing, Horror/Survival?

kanis
alien My favorite RPG's would be final fantasy 7 & 8 and Arc of twilights

eleveninches
PC RPG's:

Knights of The Old Republic
Baldurs Gate 2: Shadows of Amn / Throne of Bhaal
Neverwinter Nights (with: Hordes of the underdark / Shadows of Undrentide)
Icewind Dale 2
Icewind Dale / Heart of Winter
Temple of Elemental Evil
Morrowwind
Star Wars:Galaxies

Z4˘|<
KotOR is the best rpg ever followed by morrowind, then BG 1-2.

greyboy
I think that I'd have to go with ocarina of time, secret of mana and dragon warrior.

Darkseed
Breath Of Fire 1.
Breath Of Fire 2.
Breath Of Fire 3.
Breath Of Fire 4.
Breath Of Fire 5 (this one sucked)

Koudelka (part 1).
Shadow Hearts (part 2).

Sword Of Mana.
Legend Of Dragoon.

Grandia.
Grandia 2.

Legend Of Legaia.
Legaia 2: Duel Saga.

Golden Sun.
Golden Sun 2.

Raventheonly
Knights of The Old Republic
Baldurs Gate 2: Shadows of Amn / Throne of Bhaal
Neverwinter Nights (with: Hordes of the underdark / Shadows of Undrentide)
Morrowwind

Havent played these yet but if they are anything like the ones the companies made above they are probably worth just as much prestige:

Icewind Dale 2
Icewind Dale / Heart of Winter
Temple of Elemental Evil
Star Wars:Galaxies
Personally the Japanese RPGs are too much like a Mexican soap opra

VENOMfan
Ill give Silent hill a mention.....those games are spooky

Tptmanno1
I liked KOTOR alot, but I wouldn't say it is a true RPG.
It doesn't allow you the freedom to chose your own adventure.

TheProgramSmith
In a way you do. You choose your own fate; light or dark?

§pearhead
Would you consider the final fantasy series to be an RPG then? You don't really get to alter the storyline--the only decisions you get to make are trivial ones like, "say yes or no", and even then, the end result is the same. The only altercations in the storyline are silly things like "Turn Right" or "Turn Left", not letting you choose some of the more weighty decisions like who your alliances are with and such.

Not to say FF is a bad series, it's just not as much of an RPG as some other games.

BackFire
I'm surprised not many people have mentioned Fallout. They are known as some of the best pure RPG gaming you can experience.

eleveninches
Does Zelda:Ocarina of time count as an RPG??

Raventheonly
I guess FF isn't an RPG just a set drama....
And i haven't played fallout but i do remember what i heard of it being like buldur's gate play... which is definetly RPG

BlackHatDefect
Lunar 2 or Legend of Mana..LoM is terribly complex/deep in its story..and L2 is just such a joy to play!pitty L2 costs so much,i lost my copy and im heartbroken

animegirl 18
I agree Lunar 2 is a great RPG, the first Lunar as well is great. I think Dark Cloud is a good RPG

Koala MeatPie
KOTOR

Phat J
the lunars are great rpgs, i totally forgot about them.

the best rpg in my opinion though, is star ocean 2: the second story. i love that game, i could still play it all the way through after like 7 years.

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by Raventheonly
And i haven't played fallout but i do remember what i heard of it being like buldur's gate play... which is definetly RPG

Ummm...yes Final Fantasy games are RPGs.

is it comprehensible.....

Lana
FF and KOTOR are still RPs. With video game RPs, the outcome is always going to be set.

Phat J
Originally posted by RaventheOnly

ff is more of a rpg than baldurs gate, if your talking about the ones for the console.

El_NINO
Heres a gem-stone

Legend of Dragoon... this is what hooked me on RPGs in the first place along with FF series.

Right now im playing Dragon Quest 8.. awesome game.

Lana
Dragoon's good, though I never played much of it, I borrowed it from my friend once.

My personal favorites are Dragon Warrior, Legend of Zelda, and Final Fantasy.

BackFire
Final Fantasy 6 hands down for me.

Tha C-Master
Baldur's Gate Series... easily.

I liked the story of the first one a slight bit more, but the character development of the second...

Both are above a 9.7 out of ten IMO... and since the developers of Fallout are the developers of Baldur's Gate whistle

Mišt
Morrowind for complete non linear RPG.

Kotor for linear RPG.

But I think Oblivion is gonna smoke everything. March cannot come quick enough...

thegmeister53
If we're lucky, they won't delay Oblivion again. That was my whole purpose for getting a 360, and they took it away from me.

Anyway, the best RPG is hands down Morrowind GOTY followed closely by KOTOR, and then Jade Empire.

Gregory
Koudelka (sp?)
Shadow Hearts 2.

I know a lot of people love the Final Fantasy and Breath of Fire games, but I just can't get into them; the have terrible dungeon-to-plot ratios, where you can't even go from one town to another without going through two dungeons and completing a side-quest unrelated to the rest of the game. Well, maybe I'm exagerating slightly, but it's a real problem. Not to mention tedious hours spent leveling up ... ugh. By contrast, I never had to waste time leveling up in SH2, and I can't think of a single dungeon (except for the optional side-quests), that didn't somehow advance the story. And the combat system is brilliant; if you're going to make me fight random encounters, you'd damn well better make combat fun--but RPGs (I'm looking intently at you, Final Fantasy) almost never do.

(As for Koudelka, I love RPGs, and I love survival horror, so it was probably a given that I'd love Koudelka).

manny321
FF7 and FF10 are the bests elling Rpgs and are my favourites. FF10 was like the first game with amazing graphics on the Ps2.

I also loved Golden Sun 1 and 2 because of the wickid music.

stunna1773
knights of the old republic

General Kaliero
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. RPG bliss in an SNES cart.

Then again, so was Tales of Phantasia. And after the Tales games, traditional battles like in FF can seem pretty boring. (Hooray for Tales of Phantasia on GBA soon!)

Out of the six FFs I've played, I think I've enjoyed 4 the most, but liked the story of 6 the best.

Also honorable mentions to Ocarina of Time for being the best 3D RPG I've played, Golden Sun 1 & 2 for the nice Djinn/Summon system and excellent music, and Chrono Trigger just for being cool.

Imperial_Samura
Hmmm. Hard to say, my short list would be drawn from the following. Favorites of mine are Planescape: Torment and Final Fantasy 7.

KOTOR 1 and 2 are also particularly good, as is Fallout

The Elder Scroll games, particularly Morrowind (and hopefully Oblivion) - top notch

Not sure if it counts, but Deus Ex might also be up there.

Honorable Mention - Vampire: The Masquerade - buggy as all get go, but when it worked it was great (though the bugs and ending were quite a let down)

Phoenix Aska
i dont have a favorite rpg..since i like most of them..

but im looking forward to playing shadow hearts 3, beause i liked the first one, grandia 3 because all grandia games kick ass, and oblivion even though it keeps getting pushed back..lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.