"And he was a good friend" Reprise (spoilers)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

queeq
After reading the first 80 pages of the novel, I cannot escape my first impressions I had a few months back: Is AOTC going to show us Anakin and OB1 were indeed good friends?
Well, the bicker a lot. So far there is one remark Anakin makes that OB is closest thing he has to a father amnd that he loves him..... but this constant bickering and annoyance between these two will, I'm afraid, not make OB1's remark in ANH very believable. there appears to be already quite a bit of suspicion about each other. And I know that grows as AOTC goes along.

Captain REX
Well, there was those 10 years between TPM and AOTC. Even though the bickering makes it seem just weird, I think they do in fact find some sort of friendship.

queeq
That doesn't count. only what we see will give us a feeling for this friendship. not what we don't see.

Odde Raciir
maybe on EP3.

I guess, Anakin expelled from JO because of his marriage, and OB1 acting as a very near friend who helps him to manageand flatten his rage against the jedi who expelled him?

Nonsense anyway.

With small parts seen on the trailers, plus the script references, I don't believe in his friendship in the way OB1 mention it on ANH, so I hope it gets clearly

Captain REX
Remember, Obi-Wan is always saying things "from a certain point of view."

Ushgarak
No he is NOT. That is a ridiculous statement.

He made ONE lie- and not even, as far as he was concenred- to Luke, and for the very best of reasons. He is NOT a person whi bends the truth in general!

Captain REX
yes, but he talks somewhat in riddles. Not like "What is black and white and read all over," but he says things kinda mixed around. I didn't say he lied. Only that one little lie to Luke (that we know about so far).

Ushgarak
I think it is a little unfair to the attempts to make Obi-Wan sound wise merely make him sound obfusc!

I think we will have to assume that Obi-Wan loved Anakin really, despite everything.

Captain REX
That's what I said in the beginning!

Ushgarak
Then I was agreeing with you!

Captain REX
Yeah!

DarthKris

Ushgarak
Oh, well, that IS true, of course.

jedi212guy
But Qui-Gon was wrong. They never should have allowed Anakin to be trained.

Captain REX
Uh...if it weren't for Qui-Gon, Naboo would be destroyed, Obi-Wan would still be training, and the OT would not exist! Oh, and if it weren't for GL too. big grin

Qui-Gon would have been a better master, but Maul had to be a bastard and kill him. mad

queeq
THere are many references in both the script and the novel that show all's not well between these two. OB1 wants Anakin to take it slowly, maybe even slower than most padawans. And Anakin wants more than OB1 allows him and even more than other padawans because he thinks he rocks. And despite the hilarious scenes between them in the Coruscant chase, this is the general feel about this friendship.

Then again, I was thinking that OB1 was maybe reminiscing in ANH, maybe realising only then what a wonderful friend Anakin had been, thinking he may have been too strict with him. After all, he took the blame for Anakin's fall.

Bantha Fodder
But if Anakin was never trained, who would have destroyed Palpatine? Remember that it was Anakin in ROTJ who killed the emperor--Luke wasn't powerful enough to do so, all he did was redeem his father.

queeq
It was his destiny, I agree.
It's an interesting debate though: when were the seeds of Anakin's goodness sown? I personally think it's by his mother. If Anakin was spotted by Qui-Gon and after destroying the Droid Control ship, I'm sure Anakin would have been adopted by good ole Palpatine to raise the kid if the Council would have rejected him...

So, would it have made any difference?

Odde Raciir
HEY!!! If QGJ or OB1 or JC refuses to train Anakin...

THERE WERE NO MOVIES AT ALL!!!!!

So let it be.

queeq
Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be. Whispering words of wisdom, let it be.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.