Episode III at the Box Office [Merged]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DeVi| D0do
It's breaking records already...

Star Wars Midnight Screenings Reap $17M
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
May 19, 2005

20th Century Fox's Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith shattered records out of the gate with an estimated $16.5 million-to-$17 million in receipts from the midnight shows alone, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

"We'll be counting the grosses for a while. It's an absolutely remarkable number. It seems like the industry got kickstarted last night at midnight," said Bruce Snyder, president of domestic distribution for Fox.

Snyder noted that final numbers will not be available for some time because midnight shows are not usually broken out of a single day's gross at the boxoffice.

astrofan428
Nice find dd, wonder what the record was before.

zavin
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=1171&p=.htm
AOTC only got 6 or 7 million

manny321
8 million by Return of the king.

guys that 17 million number is in box office world: Record shattering. Beat the old record by double. It will get the opening day and single day record which is held by spiderman 1 for a 39 million opening day and 44.5 million by shrek 2 for biggest single day.

Lord Tyrant
HOLY CRAP!!!1

Lana
I'm not surprised. The theater I went to was showing ROTS on 17 of 21 screens (they probably added it to the other 4) and they were ALL sold out.

Texansfan05
Sink the Damn Boat! smile

manny321
doubt it. It could be very frontloaded or people will flood to see it the first three weekends then it will slide.

Texansfan05
I know Manny I'm just hoping for Titanic to fall to ROTS but I realize the odds are against that happening.

astrofan428
Helly Yeah, hopefully this movie will become one big force powered iceberg.

Texansfan05
Originally posted by astrofan428
Helly Yeah, hopefully this movie will become one big force powered iceberg.

laughing out loud

DeVi| D0do
I doubt it'll knock Titanic... remember, internet movie pirating wasn't big back then. (was it even around?)

ab2421
Originally posted by Texansfan05
I know Manny I'm just hoping for Titanic to fall to ROTS but I realize the odds are against that happening.

"Never tell me the odds"

Texansfan05
Originally posted by ab2421
"Never tell me the odds"

laughing

manny321
It make as much or more then Return of The King 370 million plus.

Rotk made 377 million!

vader519
Well it is off to a great start. I really hope it breaks Spiderman's opening weekned record of $115 million. It has a great chance to do it.

tpaquin
Sink the Damn Boat! smile You said it. I hated that movie.

Darth Plagueis
Here's an article with a little more info and comparison to LOTR:
LOS ANGELES - Moviegoers flocked to the dark side in droves, giving the final installment of George Lucas' "Star Wars" tale a record-breaking midnight run.

"Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" raked in an estimated $16.5 million from 2,900 midnight screenings Thursday, according to box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

That's double what the Oscar-winning film "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" took in during its midnight showings in 2003. The third film from director Peter Jackson's trilogy rang up about $8 million domestically from 2,100 midnight shows.

"This is extremely impressive," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Exhibitor Relations. "It just says so much about how excited people are to see this film that they lined up at midnight and just got on board and went along for the ride."

After the midnight debut, "Revenge of the Sith" widened to 3,661 theaters for daytime and evening screenings. The studio, 20th Century Fox, said box-office results for the first full day would be available Friday.

Tickets for the film went on sale last month. Soon after, legions of fans began lining up at theaters across the country, many dressed in full "Star Wars" regalia and sporting Jedi light sabers.

The final chapter in Lucas' six-film saga chronicles Anakin Skywalker's transformation from hero to villain Darth Vader. The film may be the darkest chapter in the "Star Wars" story, featuring more violence and a story line showing how a democratic government turns into a despotic regime.

"Revenge of the Sith" is the first "Star Wars" film to earn a PG-13 rating. The first five films were rated PG.

tlbauerle
This movie will hold the record for Openning Day AND Opening Weekend for quite a long time.

I don't think anything will knock it off number one at the box office for quite a while....Batman won't...War of the Worlds probably will.

As far as record...It depends how soon it drops off. The Midnight record, I think...will NEVER be broken. The busiest 24 plex out here in Phoenix sold out 20 screen and went to 330am showings. Wow.

theshakl
alright whats the update?

tlbauerle
Probably won't really know offical numbers for midnight until Friday. Monday or Tuesday for weekend grosses.

manny321
no friday afternoon for thrusdays numbers.
Saturday afternoon for fridays numbers.
Sunday morning for saturday's numbers.
Sunday afternoon for weekend estimates.

EHmasterJedi
whats the mark ROTS is trying to beat? Titanic? how much did it make?

mephistodesigns
601 million US domestic returns (for its entire run)

DarkYoda
Tops at the box-office records:

http://us.imdb.com/Top/

vader519
Well they have confirmed that ROTS made $16 million just from the midnight showings, shattering the record for midnight showings held by Lord of the Rings: ROTK, which was $8 million. I truly think it is going to break Spiderman's opening weekend record of $115 million.

EHmasterJedi
i just herd something on cnn thats said somthing like 50 million, but i didnt here enough to know EXACTLY what they were talking about but i guess its been confirmed it has made atleast 50 million

moviejunkie23
50 million in one day for sith !!!
yea baby yea!!!!
Happy Dance

Cinemaddiction
Just minutes ago MarketWatch reported;

Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith scored $50 million in first-day receipts at 3,661 theaters across the nation on Thursday, box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations said Friday. The take handily beats the one-day record of $44.8 million set last year by "Shrek 2." "Sith" is distributed by News Corp.'s (NWS) 20th Century Fox film unit.

ragesRemorse
I doubt it will take the throne of top grossing flick, but jesus...50 million in a day!!! wow

manny321
100 million weekend is expected easily.

DarkYoda
WOW!! And they're complaining about internet piracy. Greedy bastards! mad

DeVi| D0do
They're right to still complain about piracy...

Star Wars Breaks Box Office Records
Source: ComingSoon.net
May 20, 2005

While Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith was expected to have a big opening, no one expected it to be this big! George Lucas' third and final prequel in the "Star Wars" saga earned an incredible $50 million from 3,661 theaters on Thursday alone. That's an average of $13,661 per location for just one day.

The $50 million opening, which includes $16.5 million from midnight screenings, blows away the $40.4 million opening day record held previously by Spider-Man 2 from 4,152 theaters, and it also marks the biggest single day ever at the North American box office, beating Shrek 2's $44.8 million from 4,163 theaters.

In comparison, 1999's Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace debuted to $28.5 million in 2,970 theaters and 2002's Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones to $30.1 million in 3,161 locations.

Released by 20th Century Fox, "Revenge of the Sith" was produced for about $113 million.

EHmasterJedi
lol how the hell did titanic ever get so much anyways lol, it a OK movie but really i mean, it had some inpressive parts with ship sinking but not that big lol.

tlbauerle
Here are actual numbers...and new records:

Midnight Screening: $16,912,367
Opening Day: $50,013,859

Records that will never be broken...until prices are $20 per ticket.

forumcrew
source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9709

Star Wars Breaks Box Office Records
Source: ComingSoon.net
May 20, 2005

While Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith was expected to have a big opening, no one expected it to be this big! George Lucas' third and final prequel in the "Star Wars" saga earned an incredible $50 million from 3,661 theaters on Thursday alone. That's an average of $13,661 per location for just one day.

The $50 million opening, which includes $16.5 million from midnight screenings, blows away the $40.4 million opening day record held previously by Spider-Man 2 from 4,152 theaters, and it also marks the biggest single day ever at the North American box office, beating Shrek 2's $44.8 million from 4,163 theaters.

In comparison, 1999's Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace debuted to $28.5 million in 2,970 theaters and 2002's Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones to $30.1 million in 3,161 locations.

Released by 20th Century Fox, "Revenge of the Sith" was produced for about $113 million.

Ken Kenobi
Old news rocks!

Merging...

Texansfan05
$50 Million in one day unbelievable If it breaks Spiderman's Record Weekend of $114 Million That would put it at $165 Million and already in the top 100 Highest Grossing Film's in the USA. After one weekend I think it's possible that ROTS will pass Spiderman. Now all we need to do is sink the damn boat smile .

vader519
What amazes me is that the movie already out gross 9 of the 10 movies that are in the top 10 boxoffice of the week and they did it in a day. The only movie it has not out gross is The Interpreter, which has $62 million,but that will all change by the end of the night.

SithKiller
Internet Piracy doesnt have much to do with this movie I dont think....SW fans are gonna d/l it and still see it at the theatre several times....and still again buy the dvd...just having a shity copy on your pc doesnt prevent you from paying for something thats good

manny321
it got another 35 million on friday and should get atleast another 40 million on Saturday and 30 million on Sunday giving it a 105 million weekend.

DarkYoda
Originally posted by SithKiller
Internet Piracy doesnt have much to do with this movie I dont think....SW fans are gonna d/l it and still see it at the theatre several times....and still again buy the dvd...just having a shity copy on your pc doesnt prevent you from paying for something thats good

Couldn't have said it better myself. Just helps us deal with the wait. big grin eek! laughing

Originally posted by manny321
it got another 35 million on friday and should get atleast another 40 million on Saturday and 30 million on Sunday giving it a 105 million weekend.

Where did you get those number? smile eek!

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by SithKiller

Piracy wont do much to affect the fans' ticket sales but for non fans I think many people will go to watching it straight off the net rather than paying for tickets...

DeVi| D0do
Sith Adds $35.5 Million on Day 2
Source: Box Office Mojo
May 21, 2005

After breaking both the opening day and single day records on Thursday with $50 million, George Lucas' Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith added another $35.5 million on Friday from 3,661 theaters. That number in itself is the eighth biggest day ever.

The anticipated movie, budgeted at $113 million, has already grossed $85.5 million in two days. If estimates hold, "Episode III" would surpass Spider-Man's $83 million as the biggest two-day total ever.

"Revenge of the Sith" will cross $100 million today and tie Spider-Man and The Matrix Reloaded as the fastest movies to cross the mark in three days.

By Sunday, the film should set the four-day record with over $150 million. The previous record was set by The Matrix Reloaded with $134.3 million.

International figures have not been released yet. "Revenge of the Sith" was released in over 100 countries.

The 20th Century Fox release stars Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Hayden Christensen, Christopher Lee, Samuel L. Jackson, Frank Oz, Ian McDiarmid, Jimmy Smits, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker and Peter Mayhew.

moviejunkie23
GO BABY GO BABY GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darth Plagueis
'Star Wars' Breaks Single-Day Sales Mark
By GARY GENTILE, AP Business Writer
Sat May 21, 10:49 PM

LOS ANGELES - The last of the "Star Wars" movies has done what no movie in history has ever accomplished - sold $50 million worth of tickets in a single day.

"Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" grossed $50,013,859 from showings at 3,661 theaters and more than 9,000 screens around the country on Thursday, including special midnight shows, according to box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations. That beat the one-day record set in May 2004 by "Shrek 2," which sold $44.8 million on a single Saturday - its fourth day in theaters.

"It's staggering," said Bruce Snyder, president of domestic distribution at Twentieth Century Fox. "It's probably 20 percent more than I thought we could do."

The George Lucas film, which features the transformation of Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker into the evil Darth Vader, also beat the opening day record held by "Spider-Man 2," which grossed $40.4 million when it opened on a Wednesday last June.

"Fifty million is a good opening weekend, let alone a single day," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Exhibitor Relations. "This is the box office equivalent of a 100-year flood."

The news comes as a relief to Hollywood, which has seen a box office slump for 12 straight weeks.

Theater owners, studios and marketing partners had their hopes pinned on "Star Wars," to kick-start the summer movie season and they weren't disappointed.

The film debuted on 2,900 screens at midnight Thursday. The take from that one showing alone was $16.5 million, which beat the previous record of $8 million set by "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" in 2003.

Thursday's take dwarfed the next highest film, and last week's box office champ, "Monster-in-Law," starring Jane Fonda and Jennifer Lopez. That film grossed $1.5 million on Thursday, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com.

It is almost assured "Star Wars" will push past the $100 million mark for its opening weekend. The record for a three-day weekend is held by the first "Spider-Man," which grossed $114.8 million in May 2002.

Roald
According to www.showbizdata.com ROTS only made 31.2 million on Saturday. What a dissapointment...

vader519
Well I will believe that when we get the official results today. It is not bad, it is still making good money. In two days ROTS already has $85.5 million. If that esitmate you gave us is right, then ROTS will have a total of $ 116.7 million, breaking Spideman's record of $ 115 million, which is great.

HAROLD
Weekend estimates:

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

The estimate for three-day gross is $108,000,000. All four days is $158,000,000.

vader519
So it is goign to break Spiderman's record. That is awesoem, and $ 158 million in four days is very impressive.

HAROLD
No, it DID NOT beat Spider-Man's three-day record. Just $7,000,000 short, assuming these predictions are accurate. And that's all these numbers are.

manny321
Its over and underestimated somewhat. It can't make 33.7 million on friday and sunday!!!

Texansfan05
It actually broke the 3 day record 50+33.8+40.9= $124.7 million.

It is estimated to break the 4 day record with $158.5 million.

But it is estimated to fall short of the weekend record with $108.5 million.

Jedi Priestess
From box office MoJo which updates daily
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars3.htm

Domestic Total as of May. 22, 2005: $158,500,000 (Estimate)

Production Budget: $113 million

aside from marketing, GL is almost out of the red here.

AND

Domestic: $158,500,000 52.3%
+ Overseas: $144,700,000 47.7%
= Worldwide: $303,200,000

DeVi| D0do
Episode III Earns Record $158.5M in 4 Days
Source: Box Office Mojo
May 22, 2005

George Lucas' Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith earned an estimated $108.5 million over the three day weekend, which is the second-best opening weekend of all-time, surpassing Shrek 2's $108 million (if estimates hold) and trailing just Spider-Man 2's $114.8 million. The third and final prequel, budgeted at about $113 million, pulled in $158.5 million in its first four days, easily beating The Matrix Reloaded's $134.3 million for the four-day record.

The Fox release also has the third-biggest Saturday ever with $40.9 million, behind Shrek 2 ($44.8 million) and Spider-Man ($43.6 million). It marks the second-best opening for a movie in May, trailing only Spider-Man's $114.8 million from May, 2002. On Thursday, "Revenge of the Sith" already claimed the top opening day and single day records with $50 million. The film tied Spider-Man and The Matrix Reloaded for the fastest movies to cross the $100 million mark in three days.

Released day-and-date by 20th Century Fox in 115 countries, "Sith" has already taken in $303 million worldwide.

New Line Cinema's Monster-in-Law, starring Jennifer Lopez, Jane Fonda, Michael Vartan and Wanda Sykes, dropped a respectable 37.9% in its second weekend with $14.4 million. The $43 million romantic comedy has earned $44.2 million so far.

Will Ferrell comedy Kicking & Screaming added $10.5 million in its second weekend for a total of $34 million. The Universal release cost $45 million to make.

Lions Gate Films' Crash, from director Paul Haggis, moved up a spot to fourth with $5.5 million. The drama has collected $27.6 million in three weeks.

Jet Li's Unleashed dropped a big 64.8% in sales its second weekend. The $45 million Rogue release has made $17.6 million in two weeks.

manny321
It will make money then 377 million r how much Return of the king got in North america.

vader519
I hoep this does not sound dumb, but how can they total up the weekend box office this morning if today is Sunday, and it is the last day in the weekned. I really do not know how this works.

xeous
Two words:

Time Machine

Darth Plagueis
LOS ANGELES - Moviegoers have turned out in full force for the final chapter of the "Star Wars" saga, which took in $158.5 million since its opening to shatter three-day and four-day box office records.

"Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" grossed $124.7 million from Thursday to Saturday, according to studio estimates Sunday. That's higher than the three-day record set by the first "Spider-Man," which took in $114.8 million in May 2002 - though "Star Wars" had a lower Friday-Sunday take ($108.5 million) than the Tobey Maguire film.

"Revenge of the Sith" rang in a whopping $50 million on its opening Thursday, a single-day record boosted by eagerly anticipated midnight showings, and its total receipts since then beat the four-day $134.3 million opening of 2003's "The Matrix Reloaded." The George Lucas film has also grossed $144.7 million overseas for a total of $303 million worldwide.

"The reaction to the movie is absolutely spectacular," said Bruce Snyder, president of domestic distribution at Twentieth Century Fox.

Last weekend's box office champ, "Monster-in-Law," which marked Jane Fonda's return to the big screen as Jennifer Lopez's villainous prospective mother-in-law, slipped to a distant second with $14.4 million, a 38 percent drop. The Will Ferrell soccer comedy "Kicking & Screaming" took in $10.5 million to finish third.

Theater owners, studios and marketing partners were pleased to see "Star Wars" jump-start the summer movie season.

"It's a very strong start to what will hopefully be a very strong summer," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

The Adam Sandler-Chris Rock remake of "The Longest Yard" and the animated zoo tale "Madagascar" open in wide release during Memorial Day weekend, traditionally one of the busiest movie viewing times of the year.

But "Star Wars" - which has sold an average of eight tickets per second online at Fandango.com - could remain at the top of the box office despite the competition.

"I think we have a shot to be No. 1 next week even with two giant pictures coming out," Snyder said.

The third and final installment in the "Star Wars" prequel trilogy chronicles the transformation of the heroic Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker into the villainous Darth Vader. Studio exit surveys showed the audience - usually dominated by men for sci-fi films - was 58 percent male and 42 percent female, with nearly half the viewers under age 25, Snyder said.

"Revenge of the Sith" is the first "Star Wars" film to earn a PG-13 rating. The first five films were rated PG. Considered by critics to be the most entertaining of the prequel trilogy, it easily outperformed "Episode I - The Phantom Menace" and "Episode II - Attack of the Clones," which grossed $64.8 million and $80 million, respectively, in their opening weekends.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at North American theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith," $108.5 million

2. "Monster-in-Law," $14.4 million

3. "Kicking & Screaming," $10.5 million

4. "Crash," $5.5 million

5. "Unleashed," $3.8 million

6. "Kingdom of Heaven," $3.4 million

7. "House of Wax," $3.2 million

8. "The Interpreter," $2.8 million

9. "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," $2 million

10. "Mindhunters," $909,049

Jedi Priestess
Ran across this. The figures are in millions and Im not sure of thats worldwide or just US domestic. It was in the Denver post last week.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/spadesmamma61/20050515_055213_0515aestarwars.gif

vader519
I believe that is world wide.

Jedi Styles
Just because i'm sick of all the other threads about Yoda loosing or Sidious Loosing, or my grandmother turning to the darkside. I thought I'd be different and enter reality for a little bit by this thread.

Since the release of Episode III during its 3 - 4 day run at the box office has made a staggering $158 Million. His other movies never made that much in one opening.

Lucas is an absolute genious. To come out an Epic that's made him Billions. Not just the movies but with all the merchandising as well, toys, promos, endorsments and so on...

Star Wars has grossed him over 17 Billion dollars. Damn, that's a whole lot of money. It's probably the best way to make money from almost well everyone....

smoker4
Grandmother turns to the darkside laughing out loud

JKozzy
Good points...
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f38/t342969.html

Jedi Styles
I mean it's not just the movies...

Episode III made 303 Milllion worldwide...

But think of the tons of cash Lucas will be getting after Post-Release of this movie.... Merchandising has Episode III or rehash of Star Wars tirlogy all over it, from granola bars to tampons... Who would of that the a Low Budget film made to be joke could become one of the worlds most beloved and followed epics of all time... Lucas gets props, but that muther****er better do 7,8,9...

manny321
yes and also note the amount SW A new hope made in late 70d's would be over a billion dollars in todays money. I am talking domestic of course!
Star Wars Fox $1,139,965,40 adjusted
$460,998,007 (RAW Total made in 1977 and 1997)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

tlbauerle
Monday's Domestic Gross: $14,352,807

It's not a record, and places at number 8 on the highest Monday's list right below THE PHANTOM MENACE. Keep in mind, if this was Memorial Day weekend...SITH would own this record too.

Tandrade
WHen did you guys see star wars 3???? big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin

TheFilmProphet

HAROLD
Originally posted by tlbauerle
Monday's Domestic Gross: $14,352,807

It's not a record, and places at number 8 on the highest Monday's list right below THE PHANTOM MENACE. Keep in mind, if this was Memorial Day weekend...SITH would own this record too. Source?

tlbauerle
I pull everything from www.boxofficemojo.com

wuTa
Originally posted by Jedi Styles
Just because i'm sick of all the other threads about Yoda loosing or Sidious Loosing, or my grandmother turning to the darkside. I thought I'd be different and enter reality for a little bit by this thread.

Since the release of Episode III during its 3 - 4 day run at the box office has made a staggering $158 Million. His other movies never made that much in one opening.

Lucas is an absolute genious. To come out an Epic that's made him Billions. Not just the movies but with all the merchandising as well, toys, promos, endorsments and so on...

Star Wars has grossed him over 17 Billion dollars. Damn, that's a whole lot of money. It's probably the best way to make money from almost well everyone....

and since he is divorced his ex-wife gets half that.....your grandmother is Darth Plagurious?!....that is AWESOME!!!!!

tlbauerle
Funny...already REVENGE OF THE SITH is the second highest grossing picture of the year, only less than $5 Million behind the total gross for HITCH.

Likewise it is already the 93rd highest domestic grossing picture of all time and 126th highest worldwide grossing!

It's really great to see SITH reigning over the Opening Day, Single Day, 3-Day, 4-Day, and 5-Day gross records.

Likewise it is tied for fastest to reach $100 million with SPIDER-MAN and THE MATRIX RELOADED. Chances that it will beat SPIDER-MAN 2's 8 days to $200 million are almost certain as SITH only needs another $27.2 million between Tuesday and Thursday to reach the mark. However chances of that are slim since no mid week day will likely breach $10 million.

Keeping this in mind...It is more important that we see...and pay...to see the film on either Tuesday, Wednesday, and/or Thursday to beat the Spidey sequel record.

HAROLD
It is important that we see...and pay...to see the film on either Tuesday, Wednesday, and/or Thursday to beat the Spidey sequel record. I agree.

Darth Plagueis
Originally posted by wuTa
and since he is divorced his ex-wife gets half that.....your grandmother is Darth Plagurious?!....that is AWESOME!!!!! Nah, but I knocked his granny up, like I did ole Shmi.

tlbauerle
GROSS UPDATE:

REVENGE OF THE SITH grosses $9,907,771 on Tuesday, in keeping with my predition that it would be tough to actually break $10 million on Tuesday - Thursday. This puts SITH at $182,710,278 in six days easily becoming the highest grossing film of 2005.

This also gives the film the record for 6-day grosses over SPIDER-MAN 2 by just under $2.7 million and 10th highest Tuesday gross.

However, it will never come close to having a decent Wednesday record, as most major blockbusters have their opening day on Wednesday. Unfortunatly, SITH needs over $10 million to gain the record for highest opening week held by SPIDER-MAN 2 at $192,085,360. This record won't fall guys...unless we all go see it again today. Is it possible? Absolutely, look how close Tuesday's gross was. Likely? No, not really, no.

Likewise it needs just over $17 million to reach the $200 million dollar mark. The record is 8 days, again by SPIDER-MAN 2. Most likely, SITH will tie the Spidey sequel here. Hopefully we will tie this record on Thursday.

Everyone...go see REVENGE OF THE SITH again today! I know I will be!

Texansfan05
I saw it today I hope we can get the best one week record ever.

TheFilmProphet
GROSS UPDATE:

REVENGE OF THE SITH grosses $9,907,771 on Tuesday, in keeping with my predition that it would be tough to actually break $10 million on Tuesday - Thursday. This puts SITH at $182,710,278 in six days easily becoming the highest grossing film of 2005.

This also gives the film the record for 6-day grosses over SPIDER-MAN 2 by just under $2.7 million and 10th highest Tuesday gross.

However, it will never come close to having a decent Wednesday record, as most major blockbusters have their opening day on Wednesday. Unfortunatly, SITH needs over $10 million to gain the record for highest opening week held by SPIDER-MAN 2 at $192,085,360. This record won't fall guys...unless we all go see it again today. Is it possible? Absolutely, look how close Tuesday's gross was. Likely? No, not really, no.

Likewise it needs just over $17 million to reach the $200 million dollar mark. The record is 8 days, again by SPIDER-MAN 2. Most likely, SITH will tie the Spidey sequel here. Hopefully we will tie this record on Thursday.

Everyone...go see REVENGE OF THE SITH again today! I know I will be!

'Star Wars' celebrates its 28th anniversary today. On May 25, 1977, the original movie opened at just 32 theaters.

The final movie, 'Revenge of the Sith,' bowed at 3,661 theaters and
continues the series' record-breaking ways. Records added through Tuesday include:

No. 1 Movie of 2005
Top 6-day Opening
Top 5-day Opening

Also, Revenge of the Sith actually only needs to generate ANYTHING larger than $9,375,082 today in order to beat Spider-Man 2's record of highest opening week.

#1 Opening Week (Currently)= Spider-Man 2 $192,085,360

Revenge of the Sith (Currently) $182,710,278

$182,710,278+$9,375,082=$192,085,360

Now given the fact that ROTS made $9,907,771 yesterday (Tuesday) there is a very good chance of ROTS making ANYTHING larger than $9,375,082 today (Wednesday) meaning it has the opening week record within it's grasp.

May the force be with us.....

tlbauerle
I went again today and took my father, who hadn't seen it yet. While more of us hopefully did this today...it was just another craptastic Harkins Theatres presentation from a shit projectionist and either faulty equipment or a bad reel. Right when Palps reveals he is a Sith to Anakin, the audio clicked from Dolby Digital to booming static shitty analog making it nearly impossible to follow the tempting conversation. Harkins Theatres sucks.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by manny321
8 million by Return of the king.

guys that 17 million number is in box office world: Record shattering. Beat the old record by double. It will get the opening day and single day record which is held by spiderman 1 for a 39 million opening day and 44.5 million by shrek 2 for biggest single day.

great to hear that because as you can tell by the message below my user name,I hate one of those movies you mentioned with a passion. big grin Happy Dance Happy Dance

Mr Parker
wow cool.. smile

Mr Parker
Originally posted by vader519
Well it is off to a great start. I really hope it breaks Spiderman's opening weekned record of $115 million. It has a great chance to do it.

wow it is off to a good start.

tlbauerle
BOX OFFICE UPDATE: Thursday 5.26.05

REVENGE OF THE SITH's record rampage ended with Wednesday's gross of $8,652,951 continuing the expected drop during the weekday performances. Total gross for the film is now $191,363,169 which is $1,322,191 less than needed to achieve the highest grossing opening week record set by SPIDER-MAN 2 at $192,085,360.

To late best the web-slinging sequel as fastest to $200 million, SITH only has hopes of tying the record of $200 in 8 days if it grosses $8,636,831 on Thursday. Is it possible, absolutely. Likely...probably not. Chances of breaking $8 million for Thursday's gross is a stretch. However, if history has taught us anything, STAR WARS is an unpredictable franchise, and people may just want to see it one more time to start off week two of this blockbuster release.

If you did not see this film this week to help boost its gross, contributing to the failure in achieving the opening week record...I hereby guilt you in to seeing today. So put down your bootleg DVDs with the timecode, poor picture and sound, or badly cropped aspect ratio...and head to your local theatre.

I just might have to do this as well...to pick up the slack.

Figures pulled from BOX OFFICE MOJO.

DeVi| D0do
wow... It's really only been out for a week? I feel like I first saw it months ago!

tlbauerle
That's because it feels like it takes a month to weed through all the bullshit topics on KMC lately to get to the meat!

DeVi| D0do
Sad, but true.

ArynCrinn
Come on everyone...
Let's all help make star wars a sucess at the box office...
Just go and buy tickets if you can...
Even if you don't use them!!!!

vader519
I really feel the reason it did not break Spiderman 2's opening week record is because ther are still alot of people in school and people who are working and have not started summer vaction yet. Look at Spiderman 2 last year. It opened on Jun30th, during the summer where kids do not have school. I think business will pick up for ROTS starting this weekend with the holiday, and it will continue.

Robin Darkside
BOX OFFICE UPDATE: Thursday 5.26.05

REVENGE OF THE SITH's record rampage ended with Wednesday's gross of $8,652,951 continuing the expected drop during the weekday performances. Total gross for the film is now $191,363,169 which is $1,322,191 less than needed to achieve the highest grossing opening week record set by SPIDER-MAN 2 at $192,085,360.

To late best the web-slinging sequel as fastest to $200 million, SITH only has hopes of tying the record of $200 in 8 days if it grosses $8,636,831 on Thursday. Is it possible, absolutely. Likely...probably not. Chances of breaking $8 million for Thursday's gross is a stretch. However, if history has taught us anything, STAR WARS is an unpredictable franchise, and people may just want to see it one more time to start off week two of this blockbuster release.

If you did not see this film this week to help boost its gross, contributing to the failure in achieving the opening week record...I hereby guilt you in to seeing today. So put down your bootleg DVDs with the timecode, poor picture and sound, or badly cropped aspect ratio...and head to your local theatre.

I just might have to do this as well...to pick up the slack.

Figures pulled from BOX OFFICE MOJO.

Thats right, quit watching those crappy bootlegs where it ruins the movie because of its bad quality. Go see it in theatres (DTS) or (DLP) only, no cellloid!

Mr Parker
Originally posted by vader519
I really feel the reason it did not break Spiderman 2's opening week record is because ther are still alot of people in school and people who are working and have not started summer vaction yet. Look at Spiderman 2 last year. It opened on Jun30th, during the summer where kids do not have school. I think business will pick up for ROTS starting this weekend with the holiday, and it will continue.

yeah I agree.

LandoSpeeder2
I might be going to see it tomorrow, not sure. I saw it on Tuesday though.

I deleted my bootleg cus it was more exciting when I got the real DVD for AOTC since I had only seen it once before that in the theater, and I want it to be the same when I get the ROTS DVD, I don't want to be sick of watching ROTS when I get the DVD.

Robin Darkside
Originally posted by LandoSpeeder2
I might be going to see it tomorrow, not sure. I saw it on Tuesday though.

I deleted my bootleg cus it was more exciting when I got the real DVD for AOTC since I had only seen it once before that in the theater, and I want it to be the same when I get the ROTS DVD, I don't want to be sick of watching ROTS when I get the DVD.

My thoughts exactly, the only hard part is waiting, but it will be worth it. and if you wanna see it, go to the theatre

darthmonkey9206
i've seen RotS 4 times already, and might go a 5th.

tlbauerle
Originally posted by Robin Darkside
Thats right, quit watching those crappy bootlegs where it ruins the movie because of its bad quality. Go see it in theatres (DTS) or (DLP) only, no cellloid!

Robin...I addressed this in a previous post. DTS is SOUND ONLY...the image is still projected off celluloid. DTS stands for DIGITAL THEATRICAL SOUND, and is much better than Dolby Digital EX...but I've always loved SDDS (Sony Dynamic Digital Sound).

So if you have seen it in a DTS theatre...it does not count as a digital screening. DTS has been around since the mid 1990's.

tlbauerle
BOX OFFICE UPDATE: Friday, May 27, 2005

Congratulations, STAR WARS fans. You showed up in Force on Thursday giving SITH the much needed boost of $9,079,570, a 4.9% increase from Wednesday's gross of $8,652,95!

REVENGE OF THE SITH now ties the record of fastest movie to $200 million in 8 days, sharing the record with SPIDER-MAN 2. This brings the domestic SITH gross to a whopping $200,442,739!

Already the final installment of the STAR WARS SAGA is the 59th highest grossing domestic picture of all time, recently surpassing INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM (79th) and INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE (62).

Worldwide, SITH Has grossed $356.9 million dollars and is ranked 92nd, and coming up closely on the worldwide 2005 leader, HITCH at $360.0 million.

New competition enters theatres this weekend, of notible interest is Adam Sandler's THE LONGEST YARD, remaking the Burt Reynolds original, and MADGASCAR, the lastest CGI Animated feature. Also, quite a few sneak previews of CINDERELLA MAN are scheduled for Saturday night. Will SITH be knocked off the number 1 slot at the box office? Highly unlikely, as many second tier fans of the franchise likely put off seeing it the first weekend because of the crowds. Also, STAR WARS fans are noted for seeing the film multiple times.

My predictions for the SITH memorial day are an estimated $18 million on Friday, around $25 million of Saturday and Sunday, and another respectable $12 million on Memorial Day. Look for Madagascar to place second.

RECORD RECAP:

In SITH'S opening week, here are the broken records:

Highest Grossing Opening Day
Highest Grossing Thursday
Highest 2-Day Gross
Highest 3-Day Gross
Highest 4-Day Gross
Highest 5-Day Gross
Highest 6-Day Gross
Tied Fastest to $100 Million
Tied Fastest to $200 Million
Highest Grossing Movie of 2005

Impressive...most impressive.

Texansfan05
Happy Dance

we tied the record!!!

Let's throw a gungan parade laughing

TheFilmProphet
Maybe we should save the parade for when it at least beats out Shrek 2 which is still 3rd all time domestically right behind Star Wars ANH. Another reason to beat out Shrek 2 is because it knocked down the Phantom Menace down a spot last year.

Texansfan05
That's right we should hold the parade until it get's 3rd I still think it has a shot at 2nd. I would like it to pull off a shocker and become only the 2nd film ever to reach $500 million. But I'll be real happy if it sinks the damn boat.

TheFilmProphet
Exactly, well said.

tlbauerle
Lets focus on other records first, like the record fastest to $300 million, which I think SITH can easily do on or before next friday or trying to break Shrek 2's $72.1 million second weekend. If you want any indicator of how well it will do, these two records are the next biggy.

Personally I want both records, so lets see SITH this weekend...before Monday.

One more record I forgot,

Highest Grossing Midnight Debut

TheFilmProphet
$72 million seems entirely possible, we only need hope that the Longest Yard and kiddy flick Madagascar flop or at least enough to allow Sith to rise to the record books once again this weekend.

tlbauerle
I hope so...$72 is a long road to haul. If Friday breaks $20 million, we have a good shot.

TheFilmProphet
Well considering it broke $14 million last Monday, nearly $10 million Tuesday, $8 1/2 million Wednesday, and $9 million Thursday when Shrek 2 only made $8 million during it's weekdays the second week.

Then taking into consideration BoxOfficeMojo's prediction of Sith for this weekend is $79.1 million (and almost laughable $58.2 for Madagascar and $45.4 for the Longest Yard).

Actually, after revising some of the facts we have a great chance of winning the record this weekend.

tlbauerle
Those are 4 day weekend predictions, which I think might actually go a few million higher, but $72 in three days is quite a bit.

Jedi_Knight22
Anybody here what it did last night (Fri) yet? I went and saw it for the third time but it seemed more people were in line to see Longest Yard than anything else at the time I was there, hopefully that was the only time it seemed like that but I dunno.

Texansfan05
ROTS is now up to $215,913,000 in the USA
$372,331,058 Worldwide

In The United States it made 15,470,000 on friday.

But to my surprise it didn't make the most on friday The Longest Yard Made more by under 300,000 dollars.

tlbauerle
ROTS is now up to $215,913,000 in the USA
$372,331,058 Worldwide

In The United States it made 15,470,000 on friday.

But to my surprise it didn't make the most on friday The Longest Yard Made more by under 300,000 dollars.

Those are estimates. Final numbers, which may actually be lower...are not in yet.

Peeps, I will give another Box Office Report when final numbers are in...and usually that is after the weekend.

However, I do feel that the SITH record rampage is clearly over, which is extremely disappointing.

HAROLD
It really disgusts me to see that the predictions have The Longest Yard ahead of ROTS for friday.

tlbauerle
Not only that...Madagascar had a huge draw...and it doesn't look THAT good. Cinderella Man and Batman Begins will certainly tear SITH appart.

LandoSpeeder2
Oh well, it was pretty much expected.

tlbauerle
Not me...I thought SITH would have more staying power.

Texansfan05
I still believe it will be the fastest movie ever to $300 million.

tlbauerle
Maybe by the end of Sunday...maybe. I don't think we'll see a day this weekend break $20 million, so it will be real close.

Texansfan05
I think it will break $20 million today I'm trying to be optimistic it's Saturday that's why I think it will make $20 million today.

astrofan428
Two pretty high profile movies opened yesterday so it will be rough this weekend.

Next week is Cinderella Man, is there anything else? Because no matter how good it is, I dont see much of a box office spash for it.

tlbauerle
I think Cinderella Man will be big next week.

Mr. & Mrs Smith the week after (Damn...that Angelina Jolie...she has to be the hottest woman in Hollywood).

And the Batman Begins after that...

It will be a rough couple of weeks for SITH.

astrofan428
The Smiths and Batman will win their respective weeks, no doubt.

Texansfan05
The Smiths and Batman will win their respective weeks, no doubt.

I agree. I don't think Cinderella Man will win it's oppening weekend it may be a good movie I just don't think it will be a Box Office Hit. Mr and Mrs Smith will win it's weekend and so will Batman.

DeVi| D0do
Smith looks stupid.. I've never understood the infatuation with Jolie... her lips annoy me. wink

I'd have thought Sith would have had more staying power too. I don't know about other coutries but here it has been terribly advertised. I've only seen one TV spot shown (and it was a crappy one). The premiere was shown on the news but thats all. I've seen no television reviews or hype or anything. Quite sad really.

tlbauerle
Jolie is f'ing hot. I don't think SMITH will do real well, but it will have its draw.

ShadowKing
The Longest Yard beat ROTS on Friday by $280,000.00 C'mon people...get with it! You're not going to unseat Titanic with those numbers! mad

tlbauerle
Those are estimates SK...wait for the real numbers.

vader519
And that is just one day. We still have three days left during this holiday.

Stunrun
Can you believe this movie has broke 3 guiness world records already?................................................actually, i can believe that happy

astrofan428
I think some are overreacting about it being beat by Longest Yard. This movie wont go on a huge multi week #1 streak, but it will consistently be top 5 and often come back to #2 and #1 possibly.

Stunrun
hey astrofan, do you know a good site for pretty much scene by scene ROTS pics. And im not talking Aptirrelevance

astrofan428
That is the only site I know of, I got my pics from a different source.

ragesRemorse
what a dissapointment. will ROTS even overtake titanic?

astrofan428
Titanic will gets what coming to it someday, maybe not from Sith, but someday that big metal bastard will sink again.

queeq
Of course... with inflation and all.

HAROLD
Saturday estimates have ROTS beating competitors Madagascar and The Longest Yard.

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

vader519
You see, nothing to worry about, it is back on top for right now.

Texansfan05
If estimates hold true Revenge Of The Sith made $20,820,000 dollars on Saturday and it made the most on Saturday by over $2,000,000 dollars.
It also now has set a new record best 9 day opening record.

LandoSpeeder2
Though I don't think it will the sink the boat, at least it's still breakin records

TheFilmProphet
Right now, I'm just cheering for it to make it to the #3 spot at the all time domestic box office.

astrofan428
You like those scions Lando? I cant stand them damn things, they remind me of pretend cars I used to make when I was a kid by stapling two boxes together.

DarkYoda
Originally posted by Stunrun
hey astrofan, do you know a good site for pretty much scene by scene ROTS pics. And im not talking Aptirrelevance

Translation: I want the bootleg. laughing

TheFilmProphet
laughing out loud

astrofan428
That is the only site I know of, I got my pics from a different source.

Translation: You aint getting my damn bootleg. stick out tongue

TheFilmProphet
astro> laughing out loud

ROTS has just landed the record of Biggest 10 Day Opening with $236,733,000 beating out Spider-Man 2 which had $225,116,345.

And in an email I received from BoxOfficeMojo they had this to say:

"Sith is headed for a 3-day weekend of over $55 million, beating new
releases Madagascar and The Longest Yard, which should each come close to $50 million at No. 2 and No. 3 respectively. 3-day and 4-day weekend estimates will be published Monday morning."

tlbauerle
Interesting, but not as strong as I would have thought. Good to see the Longest Yard falling off so quickly by comparison.

Texansfan05
If estimate's are correct ROTS made $70,750,000 over the 4 day weekend. that would give it a total domestic gross of $271,193,000. That makes it 26th best Domestically Worldwide it's made $520,093,000. It also won this weekend after a rough start on Friday.

astrofan428
Those the weekend numbers? Anyone know the numbers for the next closest movie?

Texansfan05
3 Day Weekend Results
#1 ROTS $55,100,000
#2 TLY $48,100,000
#3 MAD $47,100,000

4 Day Weekend Results
#1 ROTS $70,750,000
#2 TLY $61,000,000
#3 MAD $60,000,000

I think these are estimates.

astrofan428
Wow, that is alot of movie seeing. All 3 movies did great.

DeVi| D0do
Wait a sec.... what's the four day weekend for?

Texansfan05
I included the 4 day if you wanted to consider Memorial Day as part of the weekend!

DeVi| D0do
I see... so what's the three day weekend for?

Texansfan05
This past weekend Friday,Saturday, and Sunday. I included it for people who don't want to consider memorial day as part of the weekend.

DeVi| D0do
So Friday is alway considered part of the weekend?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>