Was it necessary to mention the issue of pregnancy in SW RotS?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Eddy Urquia
was it necessary for Padme to mention being pregnant to anakin. I found this issue not to be necessary! It was awkward to hear the issue of pregnancy in a Star Wars movie. I don't know, matbe it's just me, but these are the worst moments in the movie. I loved the way Ani and Padme meet in sevrecy in the dark, but to bring up the word "preggers"? I felt it WAS NOT NEEDED! we all know she is preggers, and she could have said it more poetically or literary finese. Padme could have spoken of flowers in bloom, renewal, and spring feelings, but not said, "Ani, I'm pregnant, because you are the most horny jedi ever!! You love to swing your thing, and because you swing your light stick, you..ummm...made me get pregnant. There was a 10 or 9 yr old in front seat of me. I was lost in thought of how he was taking it, Pregnancy? I thought SW was all about music and blasters and old Jedi Masters at the SW cantina. what the hell was that. also, to see Padme in a birth postion with a droid that I guess is programed in delivering and Lamas classes. the droid would say an alien word that I think meany, Breath!1 Breath!! What the freakin hell is happening? I LOVED THE MOVIE, IT'S JUST THESE MOMENTS THAT RUIN PERFECTION!! was it necessary to even speak of it. Showing less would have given it more.

Darth Plagueis
I have a burning question.......WHO CUT THE UMBILICAL CORDS!!!!!!???

Lazerlike42
me

Darth Plagueis
With a lightsaber????

unno
Uhh, first of all the movie's rated PG-13, so let's not worry about how 10 or 9 year olds take it. It's not for them.

Second of all, she said "pregnent." What the hell is wrong with that? She was. She had to be for the movie to work. She had to tell Anakin for it to work. She didn't say a damn word about Anakin's sexual prowess. She just told her husband that she was going to have a baby. How anyone can take offense at that, I can't understand.

Furthermore, " or literary finese?" You do realize this is a Star Wars movie, don't you?

Unno

Lazerlike42
no with the force it's a new power

Eddy Urquia
Originally posted by Darth Plagueis
I have a burning question.......WHO CUT THE UMBILICAL CORDS!!!!!!???

The umbilical cords were cut by that freaking robot that was helpin her breath! The robot would say an alien word and she would breath. It was a lamas robot from the moons of Diegos , I think. lol. I really disliked all pregnancy related scenes and issues. I know lucas wanted to contrast birth(twins) againts Birth(Vader) againts death scene of padme.

Darth Plagueis
Originally posted by unno
Uhh, first of all the movie's rated PG-13, so let's not worry about how 10 or 9 year olds take it. It's not for them.

Second of all, she said "pregnent." What the hell is wrong with that? She was. She had to be for the movie to work. She had to tell Anakin for it to work. She didn't say a damn word about Anakin's sexual prowess. She just told her husband that she was going to have a baby. How anyone can take offense at that, I can't understand.

Furthermore, " or literary finese?" You do realize this is a Star Wars movie, don't you?

Unno Really. Kids see pregnant people all the time! Don't you think that would quite naturally be the VERY FIRST thing she would tell her husband after having been apaert???

Lazerlike42
agreed

Eddy Urquia

Unno
Its not offending at all! I just did not like it in Star Wars. I saw original Trilogy in theatre long time ago, and I was reflecting the issue in the prequels. sexual prowess, naw , I added that part, cause it made me think it, cause they made it an issue. poetic writing!1 Hells yeah!!1 She could have just said , like you just said it, Ani im having your baby! Not ani, I'm pregnent! I just think it should have been worded diffrently. And besides , padme in birth outfits. lol NO WAY!!1 hah ha ha ha.lol. Come on. she looked like shit!!. It was funny to see her in preg outfits. every padme /Anikain scene was CRALOLA all da way!!

unno
Well, I just assumed you thought it was offensive, since you brought up the little kid in front of you.

Anyway, you're changing your story already. First you said you didn't like the "issue of pregnancy" being brought up, and now you say it would be fine if she told him she was having his baby. It means the exact same thing. If you're going to b*tch about semantics, don't talk about 9-year olds and "unneeded" issues.

Unno

Eddy Urquia
Well, I just assumed you thought it was offensive, since you brought up the little kid in front of you.

Anyway, you're changing your story already. First you said you didn't like the "issue of pregnancy" being brought up, and now you say it would be fine if she told him she was having his baby. It means the exact same thing. If you're going to b*tch about semantics, don't talk about 9-year olds and "unneeded" issues.

Unno
I REALLY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR TWISTING OF TEXTUAL CLAIMS MADE. IT WAS NOT EVEN NECESSARY. I DID NOT CHANGE MY MIND. I SIMPLY SAID, YOU COULD REFRAISE IT, AND NOT ATTRACT SO MUCH TO IT. THERE ARE SIX MOVIES, AND ITS NOT A STAR WARS ISSUE. WHAT IS STARWARS IS MUSIC AND BLASTERS AND OLD JEDI MASTERS. FUN FUN FUN!

unno
Originally posted by Eddy Urquia
WHAT IS STARWARS IS MUSIC AND BLASTERS AND OLD JEDI MASTERS. FUN FUN FUN!

Yea, evil troops on the march, plus a whole bunch of people being shot and having their limbs cut off. Fun, fun, fun!

Unno

tlbauerle
Uh...but you've known for years that she is pregnant and gives birth to the twins...so why is it a big deal to mention it? Seems fitting since she has the belling and gives birth.

astrofan428
A hero we have followed since he was a child bursting into flames.

or

A woman mentioning she is pregnant.

Which would most people complain about?

You got issues. stick out tongue You some kinda babyhating pyromaniac?

That whole last line is a joke.

koolruningz
In answer to the question of the thread - yes. It is pivotal to the entire saga, this is how we get two of the main characters in the OT. I cant see how they could have not talked about it.

Eddy Urquia
Originally posted by astrofan428
A hero we have followed since he was a child bursting into flames.

or

A woman mentioning she is pregnant.

Which would most people complain about?

You got issues. stick out tongue You some kinda babyhating pyromaniac?

That whole last line is a joke.
Again, it is not that she is preggers or mentions it. It was not necessry to say it bluntly. It was not creatively wriiten, to say it bluntly. It was not well witten. like most of his writting, it was out of text. I f it caught my ear, it was an eye(ear) sore. sorry, but it was bad dialogue, simple? In fact, i left the film saying.Empire is better!1 Forever better!! I am not complaining , but rather mentioning that it caught my attention how much preganancy was an issue. Again, padme looked like crap in EpIIi. I mean in room shots with Anikin, she looked old, perhaps a lighting issue, but dag nasty ugly!!

tlbauerle
Then complain about the writing not the pregnancy. The writing and dialogue has been bad for most of the films.

astrofan428
What else do you say when you tell your husband your pregnant?

The only things I can think of sound much worse.

Lazerlike42
Lol I find it amazing that the most hotly contested arguement right now is over the word pregnant! doh

Ben-Kenobi
ID LIKE TO KNOW WHY THEY USED CRAPPY FAKE BABIES!

Eddy Urquia
Look, I just felt it, when she said it. It crossed my mind. I do not care if it's insulting, offensive, of appealing. It struck me when it came up. I have known since i was 6 yrs old in 1978, Pregnent! However I was prepared and knew of it, it still struck me that she had to saty it, and look the part. Me and my BROTHER use to laugh before RotS release when we would imagine if Lucas was to show Padme Pregnant. We laughed, and laughed! OMG!! it happened! She is in SW outsits for Pregger women. lol that was funnier thatJar Jar!! I swear!

astrofan428
maybe it felt bad because Natalie sucked in this movie.

Lazerlike42
It was a cgi baby they had to use because the droids were cgi... all the had to do was have a dude in a blue/green body suit hold a real baby and cgi the droids over the guy.... oh well

Eddy Urquia
Originally posted by astrofan428
maybe it felt bad because Natalie sucked in this movie.

U got it on the nose astrotrain.lol She sucked and even looked as if in real life she is suffering hardships, maybe she is doing drugs, but her face looked different from that sweet little girl. even in AotC she looked awsome!! But here, her acting was horrible and she looked like she was older, way older!!

Eddy Urquia
Originally posted by Lazerlike42
It was a cgi baby they had to use because the droids were cgi... all the had to do was have a dude in a blue/green body suit hold a real baby and cgi the droids over the guy.... oh well
The reason they did not bluescreen a person dubbed in a droid was , because Lucas is attempting to ween off from using human actors in any given scene where he can do it with CGI effects. Besides i bet its cheaper to do a whole CGI shot than rather clipping and cutting real life footage with cgi grafx!

Forcewielder
It is very important that Padme told Anakin that she is pregnant because if she didn't, then it wouldn't make any sense to not make any mention of Padme's pregnancy and then all of a sudden, have her delivering Luke and Leia at the end of the movie. People would be questioning how Anakin could have any time to visit Padme and do the bump-n-grind in bed when the entire galaxy is in the middle of a full scale war.

Like I said, it is necessary that Padme mentions her pregnancy.

adele2k5
well i think this is the most stuipit thread ive ever read honestly i cant believe someone would write this CRAP. Being pregrant is the most natural thing in the world, how did you think luke and leia came about!!! the whole point of this story is that they were born when their father turned to the darkside, it showed us the human emotions in becoming a father and the fear of loss with both mother and child. he wanted to save padme and the children its why he turned to the darkside. he feared she would die in childbirth.As for children seeing someone say there pregrant most 12/13 yr olds have silbings its not a dirty thing you know, you dont see them having sex.

Eddy Urquia
Originally posted by adele2k5
well i think this is the most stuipit thread ive ever read honestly i cant believe someone would write this CRAP. Being pregrant is the most natural thing in the world, how did you think luke and leia came about!!! the whole point of this story is that they were born when their father turned to the darkside, it showed us the human emotions in becoming a father and the fear of loss with both mother and child. he wanted to save padme and the children its why he turned to the darkside. he feared she would die in childbirth.As for children seeing someone say there pregrant most 12/13 yr olds have silbings its not a dirty thing you know, you dont see them having sex.

You ignorant participant of the KMC forum....lol! My dear friend, it was i who started this thread, it wa I who allowed the rebels to gain the plans of this battlestation, it was I! My question stands firm as ever!! Did even need to go into this subject at all. We know she is preggers(fans), and if not we(non-fans) can see that she is preggers. Again, did they have to say "pregnent?" in a SW movie. REMEMBER, THIS IS A SW 2005 VIEWING, NOT A 1978 VIEWING. IT IS NOT A PROBLEM TO SPEAK OF THIS IN MODERN TIMES IN A PG 13 MOVIE. However, was it necessary to say it. I'm a writer(majoring in ENG) and in our texts it says "Show me dont tell me!" In lamen's terms(for the iliterate and retarded folk) you dont have to tell us with words'Pregnent" just show us through images of Padme and possibly better wording. Perhaps Padme could have mentioned "flowers are blossoming Anikin, it's a time for renewal." have her speak of spring and new horizons. She could have just said "Ani, i'm having your baby" says padme as she wispers it in his ear as softly as a kiss" See WOW!! it's not that pregnency is shocking, IT JUST DOES NOT SEEM TO BE A STARWARS ISSUE. IT DOES NOT CONNECT WITH ORIGINAL TRILOGY ISSUES 1978 to PREQUEL ISSUES 2005. I hope this clearifies some of your foul thoughts and wicked tongue my old friend. You are very disrespectful as a writer/critique participating in a forum conversation. In fact, you demonstrate your ability and lack of knowledge when you aggressively lash out at forum Headings that you seem a bit uneasy with. you are a sorry participant, in a very joyous and entertaining form of communication.LOL you are a sad person. THIS ROOM HAS BENN< EXORCIZED!!! Can you feel that....huh? Can....you...feel....it!!! BAZING!! Eddy out!!

jimmy986
this is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. i hate bad dialogue as much as anyone but when the dialogue actually fits what most people would say in real life it is usually ok. when telling someone you are pregnant you genrally are not poetic. any time someone has told me or someone in my presence that they are pregnant they say it in the most intelligent way possible: " i am pregnant". worst thread ever

Anakin2Vader
that scene would have been terrible if she had been dancing around saying she is pregnant by talking of "flowers in bloom"

and I have no idea what you mean when you said you felt for the 9 year old in front of you, pregnant ladies are everywhere... they are even allowed in public if you can beleive that

at the theater i went to there was a girl in a gold Leia bikini with some sort of cape/robe over top and some ladie tried to make a scene because she had like a 5yr old and a 7 yr old with her... she must be the dumbest person in the world.... at a PG-13 movie at midnight on a school night and complaining about a chick in a bikini.... they told her she could take her kids home if she saw something she was not comfortable with... it was great

DarkYoda
no with the force it's a new power

rock laughing cool! cool

forumcrew
the guy who started this crap is off his rocker

DarkYoda
Eddy... seriously... if they had said baby you would have had a problem with it too. What was more unusual was actually seeing a birth in Star Wars. Though it was neccessary and I don't have a problem with it. It's just that it has never been seen before. We never saw someone burst into flames in the movie either. Or someone beheaded with the scisor move.

And that whole idea of flowers in bloom and everything... remember that this is George Lucas directing it... even if it had had the slightest chance of working in the scene, Lucas would have ruined it and made it the worst thing ever because he just isn't the greatest with that kind of dialogue. Other dialogue he is pretty good with. And I really didn't have much of a problem with the dialogue except when Anakin and Padme were calling each other "love" as a pet-name.

Ladyluck
i don't think it's that big a deal...so she's pregnant, she's obviously going to tell the father!...this shouldn't even be an issue...why are people getting so worked up about this?

hulksamasks
This is silly

bILLYgOAT

Again, it is not that she is preggers or mentions it. It was not necessry to say it bluntly. It was not creatively wriiten, to say it bluntly. It was not well witten. like most of his writting, it was out of text. I f it caught my ear, it was an eye(ear) sore. sorry, but it was bad dialogue, simple? In fact, i left the film saying.

Lucas should have hired u to write it Eddy sick

bib_fortuna
if you want "literary finese," then don't use terms like "preggers." what a redneck term. besides, when i was little, i thought about the stork and things like that when i saw a pregnant woman, not sex sex sex ... why wouldn't she tell him she was pregnant? if she were to talk about flowers in bloom or whatever else, i would have wanted to vomit like i did during the "rolling in the meadows" scene in AOTC. it needed no "dressing up." we all knew she was going to be pregnant anyway, why did this catch you by surprise?

Lord S
Lol I find it amazing that the most hotly contested arguement right now is over the word pregnant! doh That is funny...especially in a movie where an elderly man is swiftly beheaded, limbs are chopped off, and a young man is badly charred and pretty much tortured as he's being 'repaired'.

OH BUT SHE SAID SHE'S PREGNANT!!!1

EWWW

Ladyluck
Originally posted by Lord S
That is funny...especially in a movie where an elderly man is swiftly beheaded, limbs are chopped off, and a young man is badly charred and pretty much tortured as he's being 'repaired'.

OH BUT SHE SAID SHE'S PREGNANT!!!1

EWWW

hahaha laughing

ragesRemorse

Funny, because that is exactly who episode 1 and II were targeted for. However, it is pregnancy, who gives a shit. It isn't like showing padme breast feed. I would have preferred her talking about pregnancy than the subliminal speeches about politics.

Ladyluck
i still don't understand why some people are making such a big deal out of this....

Hayden'sgurl
was it necessary for Padme to mention being pregnant to anakin. I found this issue not to be necessary! It was awkward to hear the issue of pregnancy in a Star Wars movie. I don't know, matbe it's just me, but these are the worst moments in the movie. I loved the way Ani and Padme meet in sevrecy in the dark, but to bring up the word "preggers"? I felt it WAS NOT NEEDED! we all know she is preggers, and she could have said it more poetically or literary finese. Padme could have spoken of flowers in bloom, renewal, and spring feelings, but not said, "Ani, I'm pregnant, because you are the most horny jedi ever!! You love to swing your thing, and because you swing your light stick, you..ummm...made me get pregnant. There was a 10 or 9 yr old in front seat of me. I was lost in thought of how he was taking it, Pregnancy? I thought SW was all about music and blasters and old Jedi Masters at the SW cantina. what the hell was that. also, to see Padme in a birth postion with a droid that I guess is programed in delivering and Lamas classes. the droid would say an alien word that I think meany, Breath!1 Breath!! What the freakin hell is happening? I LOVED THE MOVIE, IT'S JUST THESE MOMENTS THAT RUIN PERFECTION!! was it necessary to even speak of it. Showing less would have given it more.
laughing oh my gosh that's funny

adele2k5
You ignorant participant of the KMC forum....lol! My dear friend, it was i who started this thread, it wa I who allowed the rebels to gain the plans of this battlestation, it was I! My question stands firm as ever!! Did even need to go into this subject at all. We know she is preggers(fans), and if not we(non-fans) can see that she is preggers. Again, did they have to say "pregnent?" in a SW movie. REMEMBER, THIS IS A SW 2005 VIEWING, NOT A 1978 VIEWING. IT IS NOT A PROBLEM TO SPEAK OF THIS IN MODERN TIMES IN A PG 13 MOVIE. However, was it necessary to say it. I'm a writer(majoring in ENG) and in our texts it says "Show me dont tell me!" In lamen's terms(for the iliterate and retarded folk) you dont have to tell us with words'Pregnent" just show us through images of Padme and possibly better wording. Perhaps Padme could have mentioned "flowers are blossoming Anikin, it's a time for renewal." have her speak of spring and new horizons. She could have just said "Ani, i'm having your baby" says padme as she wispers it in his ear as softly as a kiss" See WOW!! it's not that pregnency is shocking, IT JUST DOES NOT SEEM TO BE A STARWARS ISSUE. IT DOES NOT CONNECT WITH ORIGINAL TRILOGY ISSUES 1978 to PREQUEL ISSUES 2005. I hope this clearifies some of your foul thoughts and wicked tongue my old friend. You are very disrespectful as a writer/critique participating in a forum conversation. In fact, you demonstrate your ability and lack of knowledge when you aggressively lash out at forum Headings that you seem a bit uneasy with. you are a sorry participant, in a very joyous and entertaining form of communication.LOL you are a sad person. THIS ROOM HAS BENN< EXORCIZED!!! Can you feel that....huh? Can....you...feel....it!!! BAZING!! Eddy out!!

lol have you heard yourself i think its safe to say that most people would agree that what your saying is stupid and someone saying im pregant is not bad dailog at all you cant justify a good enough reason only saying its too young for children its not even a childrens film for a start. why cant padme tell her beloved husband that he will become a father its one of the great points in the movie that sets the fate for him, padme and luke and leia. he was told so we could see his reactions to it and the fear of losing padme through childbirth

tlbauerle
Wow Ed...

You get the award for lamest thread in this board's history.

Eddy Urquia
Originally posted by tlbauerle
Wow Ed...

You get the award for lamest thread in this board's history.
Thanks , ill post another one soon
Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

shadow225588
and stupied thread. Go back and see it again without a 9 year old changing how you feel about the movie. Because Anakins fall to the darkside was because of Padma being pregent. The dreams of her dieing made him do anything to save her even fall to the darkside. Which ironic because he ends up killing her.

Eleonora

Why are men always bothered by what they don't understand? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Eleonora
EDIT

ragesRemorse
was it awkward the first time they mentioned preganancy in the star wars universe. I beleive they mention pregnancy in the original movies aswell as episode1.

Eddy Urquia
Originally posted by shadow225588
and stupied thread. Go back and see it again without a 9 year old changing how you feel about the movie. Because Anakins fall to the darkside was because of Padma being pregent. The dreams of her dieing made him do anything to save her even fall to the darkside. Which ironic because he ends up killing her.

No, IT WAS NOT PADME PREGNENCY THAT CAUSES ANAKIN TO TURN TO THE DARKSIDE! It was his fear, fear of losing his loved ones. It all began in Ep II he lost his mother and he said "One day...I will be..I will be the most powerful Jedi ever. I will even stop people from dying. Here , is the reason for Anakins FALL to the darkside. Then, his FEAR for loss of Padme, and the child(Ani knows only of one). palpatine place off this FEAR and says he can teach Ani how to CHEAT DEATH. And remember that yoda Ep I said "Fear, is a path to the darkside" it is FEAR that drives anakin to the Darkside, Not because of her being pregnent, its FEAR of losing her and what yoda identifies as possesion.

amane
no, it was NOT padme's fault......

and yea, the pregnancy thing IS kinda necessary to the plot!!!
if you can't handle the "issue of pregnancy," then don't watch movies that deal with that "issue." geez people....do you honestly think the stork brings babies?!? pregnancy is kinda essential to life and plots of movies with newborn babies...

it would be kinda odd if there were suddenly babies and there hadn't been a pregnant Padme. technology in star wars isn't quite that advanced....

SaTsuJiN
It was a lamas robot from the moons of Diegos , I think. lol. LMFAO laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.