Padme Dies?!! Problem here...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sparks
Padme dying was a shocker for me. Remember when in ROTJ Luke asks Leia to recall her memories of her mother and she says "I remember she was very beautiful, but very sad" I though for sure she was talking about her real mother because both descriptors would apply to Padme.

Lazerlike42
There's a TON of discussion about this going on... the best place to get the scoop is

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f38/t341240.html

but there is also some interesting stuff

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f38/t343022.html

and if you look around I'm sure you'll find more lol cool

Eddy Urquia
Wrongo!! She was spaekin of Bail Organa's wife, the lady u saw him land and give him the child. That is the lady she is refering to. she does not know who luke is refering to because she does not know yet they are related and that he is her brother. So, he knows of his Aunt, but Luke is questioning her parents who brought her up in hopes that she was brought up by their real mother Padme. But she does not know anything more than Mrs Bail organa. her name is Princess Lea organa! she only knows the sadness of THAT women, a sadness that I enterpret to be Mrs Bail Organas knowledge of Padme's death and the rise of the Empire. That is her mothers sadness. luke asked in hopes she would describe their real mother, and in hope that perhaps Lea would say she was stil alive! Hopes Padme would be alive!

vader519
I want to address this one last time. If you watch ROTJ, Leia says all she remembers is images and feelings of her mother. The way she remembers those feelings is through the force.

Lord S

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by Eddy Urquia
Wrongo!! She was spaekin of Bail Organa's wife, the lady u saw him land and give him the child. That is the lady she is refering to. she does not know who luke is refering to because she does not know yet they are related and that he is her brother. So, he knows of his Aunt, but Luke is questioning her parents who brought her up in hopes that she was brought up by their real mother Padme. But she does not know anything more than Mrs Bail organa. her name is Princess Lea organa! she only knows the sadness of THAT women, a sadness that I enterpret to be Mrs Bail Organas knowledge of Padme's death and the rise of the Empire. That is her mothers sadness. luke asked in hopes she would describe their real mother, and in hope that perhaps Lea would say she was stil alive! Hopes Padme would be alive!

Read that first thread I linked... I used to think as you do but they did give me reason to THINK about changing my mind (I still sorta agree with you but I'm much less sure)... there's plenty of evidence to support their pov.... in any case, I don't think it's a plot hole I think it has plenty of explanations and there are theories all over about it

DeVi| D0do
Wrongo!! She was spaekin of Bail Organa's wife

nope... Luke asks specifically:

"Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?"

He obviously knows she was adopted, and so does she otherwise she'd have said something...

Eddy Urquia
Originally posted by vader519
I want to address this one last time. If you watch ROTJ, Leia says all she remembers is images and feelings of her mother. The way she remembers those feelings is through the force.
Force my arse!!1 she [Lea} speaks of what she knows, Mrs bail Organa. That is it! Luke asks in hope of that she would know her alive or dead. Lea says yes , my mother was ad and so on, because it is Mrs bail Organa who is sad because she is aware of the tragedy which occured with Lea's mother(padme force pinch death) and the rise of Empire fall of democracy. that her mothers sadness. Lea tells of this. luke hopes she spaeks of original momPadme . but it is not so, she speaks of Mrs bail Organa. WHY WOULD LUCAS JUST EXPLAIN THIS IN ROTS11111LOL HELOO, MCFLY...HELLO!

Lazerlike42
Did you even read that plot holes thread? there's no way you could be so adament in this if you had....

Lord S
Force my arse!!1 she Do you know for a fact that Mrs. Organa died when Leia was very young?

Eddy Urquia
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
nope... Luke asks specifically:

"Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?"

He obviously knows she was adopted, and so does she otherwise she'd have said something...

LUKE SAYS REAL MOTHER BECAUSE HE KNOWS HE IS ADOPTED AND SHE AS HIS SISTER ALSO IS ADOPTED . SO HE SAY DO YOU KNOW YOUR REAL MOTHER. SHE STILL EXPLAINS ORGANA. WHY WOULD THE FORCE ALLOW HER TO FEEL SADNESS AND IMAGES?

Lazerlike42
because that is something the force does!

vader519
Sorry Eddy it is you who is wrong. I suggest you read the other threads and watch ROTJ again.

Lord S
LUKE SAYS REAL MOTHER BECAUSE HE KNOWS HE IS ADOPTED AND SHE AS HIS SISTER ALSO IS ADOPTED . SO HE SAY DO YOU KNOW YOUR REAL MOTHER. SHE STILL EXPLAINS ORGANA. WHY WOULD THE FORCE ALLOW HER TO FEEL SADNESS AND IMAGES? How would she have 'somehow always known' that her and Luke were siblings?

Answer: The Force.

Eddy Urquia
Sorry Eddy it is you who is wrong. I suggest you read the other threads and watch ROTJ again.
everyone here is speculating without textual support! Not one of us knows unless we sleep with george Lucas like u sleep with Micheal jerko at night!!

Lazerlike42
READ THE THREAD I LINKED. There is PLENTY of textual support

Lord S
everyone here is speculating without textual support! Especially you.

Eddy Urquia
Originally posted by Lord S
How would she have 'somehow always known' that her and Luke were siblings?

Answer: The Force.

No she says somehow I've always have known since they both met in ANH ep IV. thats what she meant by I have always known since we met. She not telepathisc and walk around on Alderan feeling of Luke wen she was 9 yrs old prepubescent little Alderanian child. she did not Always know when she took a shit on the Blockade runner? She always has known since our paths crossed in Ep IV new hope! Bazing!!!

Lazerlike42
It comes down to being as simple as this. Luke is asking Leia so he can learn about his real mother. He doesn't care about her adopted mother. He also knows she was adopted. He must know (because she has probably told him over the course of the years they've known each other in some conversation that isn't seen on screen) that she has been adopted otherwise he would not ask her this question, nor would he be sure to specify the real reason. For your theory to be correct Luke has to be an idiot.

vader519
Listen Eddy read the damn threads.

Eddy Urquia
When Lea says " i"ve always known you were my bro" she means since u rescued me on death Star i kinda always knew it, felt it. That is ok!! But sorry people, why would Lucas show Organa bringing her a duaghter they never could have, HELLOOOO!!!!! Padme died= Mrs Organa got her. why complicate your lives. search your feelings, you know it be true.

TheFilmProphet
Listen Eddy read the damn threads.

amen

Lord S
No she says somehow I've always have known since they both met in ANH ep IV. thats what she meant by I have always known since we met. She does not say that, specifically. It's not implied either.

She not telepathisc and walk around on Alderan feeling of Luke wen she was 9 yrs old prepubescent little Alderanian child. she did not Always know when she took a shit on the Blockade runner? She always has known since our paths crossed in Ep IV new hope! Bazing!!!

I don't know how much EU you read, but she has the Force in her...and becomes a Jedi herself after the events of ROTJ.

Lazerlike42
even if you don't read the EU it doesn't matter Luke tells her she will learn to use the force and it is strong with her

Eddy Urquia
I understand all that after Emperor dies mumble jumble. guys, its not the force that made her seem she always new. To always know would imply that she always knew ! even when she didnt know of him, she knew of him. She always knew, since she has known him.lol u guys. Read my replies. heres a new one. Is frodo ..Gullums uncle?

Lazerlike42
We use the phrase "I always knew" alllll the time to talk about a gut feeling as opposed to actually having factual matter of fact knowledge.

Example:

"Hunny, when did you know I'd be the one?"
"I always knew..."

lol assuming the guy is being honest wink

Eddy Urquia
Originally posted by Lazerlike42
even if you don't read the EU it doesn't matter Luke tells her she will learn to use the force and it is strong with her
Im not arguing about Lea force abilities. She felt luke call for help hanging from antena on cloud city. vader recognizes her abuilities to be turneed. so that is not in debate here.

Sparks
I've never said that

Lord S
When Lea says " i"ve always known you were my bro" she means since u rescued me on death Star i kinda always knew it, felt it. That is ok!! But sorry people, why would Lucas show Organa bringing her a duaghter they never could have, HELLOOOO!!!!! Padme died= Mrs Organa got her. why complicate your lives. search your feelings, you know it be true. Ok then once again, where is your proof that Mrs. Bail Organa died when Leia was very young?

I understand all that after Emperor dies mumble jumble. guys, its not the force that made her seem she always new. To always know would imply that she always knew ! even when she didnt know of him, she knew of him. She always knew, since she has known him.lol u guys. Read my replies. heres a new one. Is frodo ..Gullums uncle? If it wasn't the Force that helped her realize it, then how would she know or even suspect they were siblings? What you're saying makes no sense.

vader519
It is quite obivious you are not a fan Eddy. Tell me then, why doesn't Luke know Leai is his sister in ANH. They do not know each other, and they are not aware of each other. It is the force, Eddy. Why don't you search your feelings and read the threads.

Eddy Urquia
Look Lucas just made a movie, and he answered that question by giving Lea to the Organa residents and killing the twins mother. Luke: whos your mother? Lea: My moms on alderan, she baking cookies for our brother on taatooine ?lol

Eddy Urquia
he suspects they are siblings cause he just had a converstion with a ghost(obi1) and Obi wan actual had to sorta lead Luke into that thought cause he was unaware of it. Obi ghost tells of twin sis! Even luke was unaware til then

Sparks
Originally posted by Lord S
Ok then once again, where is your proof that Mrs. Bail Organa died when Leia was very young?

If it wasn't the Force that helped her realize it, then how would she know or even suspect they were siblings? What you're saying makes no sense.

Heres somthing to chew on... Ever heard twins speak of a psycic connection? Maybe the force did'nt have so much to do with it. Just a thought

Lazerlike42
as far as whether or not they are siblings yes, but as far as whether or not Leia ever told Luke she was adopted, she would have had to for Luke's line to make any sense at all.

vader519
All obi-wan told Luke was that he had a twin sister. He never told Luke Leia was his sister. Luke fighured it out BY USING THE FORCE! Look Eddy it is pointless to go you are making it worst for yourself. You know you are wrong and we are right, just face it, before the other members of the froum see this thread and everyone starts ganging up on you.

Torik_Shai
But Leia always knew she was adopted. It wasn't a secret they kept from her. So when Luke says "real mother," she understands that he means her "birth mother."

Lord S
he suspects they are siblings cause he just had a converstion with a ghost(obi1) and Obi wan actual had to sorta lead Luke into that thought cause he was unaware of it. Obi ghost tells of twin sis! Even luke was unaware til then We're not talking about him, we're talking about her.

Eddy Urquia
Guys gals alien things!!1 Lucas just released a movie TODAY!!!! It explains the passing of the kids. If you guys wanna give this subject enternal life, you can, by blabbing about this issue all year. lucas just made a movie , he expliansthis issue, if you are still questioning it, it is because you are all Quasey, yousa quasey

Lazerlike42
Originally posted by Torik_Shai
But Leia always knew she was adopted. It wasn't a secret they kept from her. So when Luke says "real mother," she understands that he means her "birth mother."

Is there any source for that you can cite?

Eddy Urquia
Guys....Lea only knew of her Organa parents. are we clear on that matter lord vader? good!! No force made her feel and concieve thoughts of padme being sad. She died while Lea came out of her womb. Clear? So far! It is not force vision that helps Lea feel her sadnes. It is the sadness of her livin guardian Organa! Clear. ok

astrofan428
Luke knows that she had an adopted father, so wouldnt he naturally assume the same would go for her mother?

Torik_Shai
Is there any source for that you can cite?

I think it says it in either the A New Hope novel or the Return of the Jedi novel.

vader519
So why are taling about ROTJ when you should be talking about ROTS.

Lord S
Guys gals alien things!!1 Lucas just released a movie TODAY!!!! It explains the passing of the kids. If you guys wanna give this subject enternal life, you can, by blabbing about this issue all year. lucas just made a movie , he expliansthis issue, if you are still questioning it, it is because you are all Quasey, yousa quasey There was no explanation other than what we've suspected all along...which is that she used the Force for images and feelings of her real mother. You're just trying to drown us in bullshit.

And for the third time, where is your proof that Bail Organa's wife died when Leia was very young? It would support your very thin argument, immensely.

Eddy Urquia
Padme dies while giving birth!
How could she know of sadness and early death, if Organa told her those stories she would have said it to luke. They say she was ad!
Lea say she rembers visions and of her mothers sdaness, to know this she would have to have interactted with this individual. how and why the force would provide this , i do noet know? THINK!!!

Sparks
So why are taling about ROTJ when you should be talking about ROTS.
Because we can finally analyze the story as a whole.

Lord S
how and why the force would provide this , i do noet know? THINK!!! There's much of the Force we don't know or understand.

Eddy Urquia
It seems that your story has less support. the force provided images for her entertainment? lol Look, u say prove Mrs organa's early death, because if there was such info, this case would be closed. You say the force provided info/images where do you get your info that says THE FORCE ASSITED LEA IN VISIONS OF PADME AND HER SADNESS? where boy!1 where?

Lord S
You say the force provided info/images where do you get your info that says THE FORCE ASSITED LEA IN VISIONS OF PADME AND HER SADNESS? where boy!1 where? Because it's the only logical explanation.

vader519
Eddy, Leia says she does remember her mother that weel. All she remembers are feelings and images of her mother. She remembers her mother was beatiful, but sad. Why would Organa's wife be said if she just adpoted a baby girl/ Also Lucas talked about this before, and I just remembered this right now. Why he was working on putting the OT dvd's together, he was thinking about putting a montage of movie clips from Episodes 1 and 2 of Padme and inserting them nito that scene where Leia talks about her mom, but he decided not to do after all.

Eddy Urquia
My question is when Palpatine is beig force lighting reflect by master mace windu, palpatine opens his mouth in agony, and I could see his dental fillings made of lead(ill) in his mouth. why didnt the force provided him with a dental plan that could have allowed for pocaline fillings. his fillings could be sen. perhaps the force could have foreseen the tooth decay!???n

Lazerlike42
You are resorting to subterfuge now.... the force provided Leia with images and feelings of her mother in the same way it provided Anakin with images of Padme's death, and Luke with images of his friends and feelings of their pain on Bespin, and so on....

Eddy Urquia
Why would Organa's wife be said if she just adpoted a baby girl/ Also Lucas talked about this before, and I just remembered this right nOw.

SHE(MRS ORGANA) IS SAD BECAUSE OF WHAT SHE KNOWS OF HER ADOPTED CHILD, THE DEATH OF PADME BY HER FATHER, AND HER FATHERS PART IN THE RISE OF THE EMPIRE AND FALL OF DEMOCRACY. THAT IS WHY ORGANSAS IS SAD, NOT BECAUSE OF NEW BABY DAUGHTER. BECAUSE OF HOW SHE CAME TO GET THAT CHILD

vader519
So why are changing the subject now Eddy, have you discovered that you are wrong.

Crusher
I just want to say for that moment, Ani was BASTARD that he is!! I cant BELIEVE HE DID THAT!!!

Torik_Shai
Padme dies while giving birth!
How could she know of sadness and early death, if Organa told her those stories she would have said it to luke. They say she was ad!
Lea say she rembers visions and of her mothers sdaness, to know this she would have to have interactted with this individual. how and why the force would provide this , i do noet know? THINK!!!

Yoda in ESB: "Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future, the past, old friends long gone."

That's how the Force would provide images and feelings.

Eddy Urquia
I DISCOVERED HOW FUTILE THIS SUBJECT IS. I AM NOT TIRED OF THREAD, BUT JUST SLEEPTY TIRED. I LOVED TO DEBATE, BUT IT WAS NOT WORTH IT. U ALL HAVE YOUR PERSPECTIVE AND I HAVE MINE. I LIKE YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO TOLERATE IT!

Eddy Urquia
i CAN SEE THE FORCE ASSITANCE ISSUE CLEARLY, BUT I AM NOT CONVINCED BECAUSE BOTH OF OUR PIONTS OF VIEW ARE CLOUDED BY A LACK OF TEXTUAL SUPPORT.

Eddy Urquia
sPECULATION IS OPEN ON THIS SUBJECT TO WIDELY1

Lord S
OK WE UNDERSTAND, CAN WE PLEASE STOP SHOUTING NOW?

Crusher
The force is strong wit US! Just remember, its not stopping here. wink

toolguy1515
Unfortunately, this is going to be a topic that will be debated for some time. After reading the book, I went back and watched the specific scene in ROTJ where Luke & Leia talk about their mother. Luke specifically emphasizes REAL mother. If Leia didn't know that she was adopted why didn't she look at Luke and say "what you talkin' about Willis?"

Personally, I see this as a plot flaw. Especially because Padme died right after giving birth to Leia. Its pretty tough to get all of the movies to be perfectly aligned. There's holes in the story throughout episodes IV - VI. Think about how far apart the movies are made. Such as when Yoda tells OB1 that there is another hope in ESB, or what OB1 says to Luke during ANH.

I guess we're just going to have to deal with it.

Lazerlike42

vader519
Are you happy noe Eddy, there is your proof we are right.

queeq
Originally posted by toolguy1515
Unfortunately, this is going to be a topic that will be debated for some time. After reading the book, I went back and watched the specific scene in ROTJ where Luke & Leia talk about their mother. Luke specifically emphasizes REAL mother. If Leia didn't know that she was adopted why didn't she look at Luke and say "what you talkin' about Willis?"

Personally, I see this as a plot flaw. Especially because Padme died right after giving birth to Leia. Its pretty tough to get all of the movies to be perfectly aligned. There's holes in the story throughout episodes IV - VI. Think about how far apart the movies are made. Such as when Yoda tells OB1 that there is another hope in ESB, or what OB1 says to Luke during ANH.

I guess we're just going to have to deal with it.

I'm afraid so. I find it a tad sad that GL thinks it's more dramatic to let someone die of grief, instead of letting live in exile, filled with grief and sadness, having had to maybe see her twins split up and then die of sadness sometime between movies. I'd have loved: ultimate deep traumatising drama. Now we just have a funeral: number three in the series.... *yawn*

Sparks
I completely agree

toolguy1515
Precisely - After seeing AOTC at the theater, on the ride home I told my buddy everything that had to be answered in Episode III. One of the things that I said then is that Padme takes Leia and Luke goes to Tattooine to split the twins up. My thinking was that Vader would know about the child/ren and that Luke was considered to be a threat to Vader, so Luke was hidden. Padme would have died of a broken heart or something like that, then Leia goes to live w/ the Organas on Alderaan. Having Padme die seems almost like a cop-out by Lucas because Padme would have been a loose end that had to be tied up.

People would be just as pissed and the debate would have gone on about Padme if she lived and her ultimate fate was not answered along with the twins'.

adele2k5
actually luke asks Leia about her natural mother he says do you remember your natural mother. Leia has a strong bond with pad me in the force as they both female just like luke and anakin have a strong connection

adele2k5
also anakin could see things before they happened within the force it could be possible that leia could remember the past using the force through dreams.

jackstain
she had to die, and i was so happy when she did.......she ruined whatever culd have been better about this movie.

finti
Leia aint trained in the force neither was Luke before he went away with Obi. Lukes feelings for Anakin came after his encounter with him. Leia was unaware of her force abilities. The obvious part is that George Lucas had an idea about how Leia lived her life and that her mother probably was still around for some years at the time George made Return Of The Jedi. However by the time of Revenge he obviously changed his mind.
Leias word are clear"she died when I was very young" If it was childbirth she was talking about Leia would have said childbirth not very young.
In this situation very young, to me!!!!!!! , indicate around 3years when your memory is nothing more than images and feelings.
I see Padmes death at childbirt is a flaw in the Saga, it makes Lukes and Leias convo in ROTJ totally irrelevant

Lazerlike42
read the last page or two

finti
I have, but I havent been able to post before now, and whatever is written there wouldnt change my view on the matter at all. As I stated this is acording to how I see and feel on the matter

adele2k5
leia used to the force to locate luke and they had a connection there, also when anakin was young he used to the force without knowing it and if you watch ROTJ you will see lukes asks leia about her real mother as he knows she is his sister and he wants to know about his mother not leias adoptive mother also she could of been told about her mother being sad and shown images of her mother.

maifoshis
but doesnt leia say her mother died when she was young? does that neab she was referring to bails wife.

Lazerlike42
No, it doesn't. She has images and feelings of Padme through the force. The official site states clearly that she refers to Padme, the fact that she has the feelings and images through the force is implied by the rest of the evidence that's been cited here.

Everybody seems to make this mistake and think Leia says she has MEMORIES of her mother, like the time they went to the zoo or whatever... all she ever says is feelings and images.

adele2k5
yes she doesnt give an age though why would she tell luke about bails wife when he asked her about her natural mother. also the twins were inside her when she was sad and she died of a broken heart the force has provided a connection of her mother like luke with vader. also the force has powers of the future and past which was stated by yoda. leia could of seen images of her mother and been informed of how she died

adele2k5
well doen lazer ppl dont seem to listen and think shes on about bails wife but thats relevant to the story.

finti
well thats actually what memories are for a little kids, the so called memories before age 3 aint nothing but images or feelings

bilb
Well Thank God someone started this thread! Lord knows that in the last 20 years none of US have ever pondered this one.. roll eyes (sarcastic)

finti
and Lukes words are clear.
"Leia... do you remember your mother? Your real mother?" there is no doubt that asks about Padme.
And if Luke cant remember a thing about his mother how come Leia that aint been trained in the ways of the force be able too?

Lazerlike42
You don't have to be trained in the ways of the force to get "feedback" from it. Leia gets these feelings because she is strong with the force. Anakin wasn't purposefully using the force when he had his dreams. He was just strong with it so the dreams came to him. Leia, being his child, is also strong with the force and thus gets these feelings and images without trying.

finti
then explain why Luke wouldnt get these images and feelings of his mother

Lazerlike42
A) Leia is a woman. Women tend to have strong connections with their mother in an almost supernatural way even in our real world.

B) Padme's pain was much stronger when Leia was born then when Luke was. She was one step closer to death.

C) Leia was raised by Bail Organa, a person who greatly respected the Jedi, and who probably encouraged a belief in the force and so forth, whereas Luke was raised by Owen Beru who treats the force as the most forbidden subject on Tatooine

D) it's just a movie, and this specific point is far, far more subtle and likely to be passed over than the general idea of how Leia remembers.

finti
all kids have a stronger connection with their mother regardless gender.

doesnt mean a thing, just as well argued that Padme stroke Lukes cheek so she touched him but a thing wich she didnt do with Leia.

as for c. Leia was a part of the senate she was around the nerbys of the Emeror and Vader where as none of them even remoltly sensed her.

D you are correct it is jsut a movie, what we did was point out a flaw in it . George Lucas actually undersestimated peoples will to pick up on this trail. Cause Padmes death has been debated for quite some time

Lazerlike42
I think people are actually vastly, vastly underestimating the amount of thought Lucas put into it. All these so called plot holes are exactly what Lucas intended for specific reasons.

They didn't sense Leia because nobody knew she existed. They thought Padme was having one child at most, and probably thought that she had died before giving birth. Also, she didn't know who her father was, so there was nothing to sense. I'm sure Vader and Palpatine were around plenty of people who had the force strong with them through the years, it was no reason to pay special attention.

My point isn't that Leia was in any way embracing the force or even close to using it, but rather that it was easier for her to sense her mother through it because to her it was an open idea, her mind was open to the idea of the force, whereas to Luke the force was this horrible thing that was never allowed to be mentioned so his mind was very very closed.

As we see in ESB, it is important to have a belief in the force and an open mind to it if it is to help you.

finti
nah i think it is lack of continuity in his ability to tell a story

they were twins and twins even the not identical ones have strong ties.

But again its just a film with its flaws, some see this being discussed here as aflaw other doesnt.

My believes is that George just changed his mind about the entire matter

Jedi Mindtricks
Just a thought here...

What if Padme didn't die? I know there isn't much evidence here, but there is a little.

At the funeral, her belly was big (to show that the children probably died, too) and they zoomed in on her double girl (like episode I).

This may be grasping, but maybe she staged the funeral to get Vader off the trail and then went to live with the Organa's. Just a thought.

queeq
Yeah , just a thought because none of the six movies ever gives us ahint that she didn't die. SW is simple, what you see is waht you get.

DarkYoda
Okay, I posted something simliar in another thread but here is my explanation... I don't feel like reading through all of the other ones right now...

Leia remembers Bail Organa's wife as her mother, just like she remembers Bail Organa as her father. Remember when she says, "Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars... now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire."

However, it is likely that Bail's wife also dies when Leia is young. For all we know, Leia was never told she was adopted because they wanted to hide the truth about Anakin and Padme from her the way Obi-Wan did Luke.

Leia was probably very confused. And I don't think Luke really got what he wanted when he talked with her. He was trying to get her to think back about her real mother because he wanted to reveal to her that they were brother and sister. Afterward Leia probably ponders more and reaches out with the force more to try and remember Padme. That's kind of what Luke was trying to get her to do when he tells her that she has "that power" too.

It's meant to be more tragic, that when Luke asks about her real mother, she remembers her step mother... Padme has been forgotten completely, save for a few people like Anakin, Obi-Wan, & Yoda.

adele2k5
no you've missed the whole point if you read the books it states she was adopted and she was well aware that she was adopted into the royal family. She was aware that yeah mother played an important part in politics and therefore is why she joined the rebels. leia had a strong connection with her mother using the force through dreams also her father is unknown to her that is why she calls bail her father he also had a strong connection to her mother and would of told her about padme.

adele2k5
jedimind tricks she did die that was the whole point of the story that he turned to the darkside to save her but it was actually him turning to the dark side that destroyed her and therefore she died of a broken heart, if he didnt turn to the dark side she would of lived. so in a way anakin kill her

queeq
Yup.

Some have tried to argue this Leia-got-confused-with-her-stepmother routine before. And there is absolutely NO DOUBT Leia was talking about her birthmother.

DarkYoda
Expanded Universe. Lucas doesn't follow what was written in the books.

adele2k5
yes extanded universe in the books which are after the films im on about the books of the films

DarkYoda
Originally posted by adele2k5
yes extanded universe in the books which are after the films im on about the books of the films

Movies always come before books and video games as far as cannon goes. Unless Lucas writes the book himself, too much of the books based on movies are influenced by the various authors. How can there be any consistency in a series if there are too many different authors? Naturally there would be contradictions as is the case here. wink

Delta 62
So far it hasn't been a huge deal..but Lucas should read the novels. In the Thrawn trilogy Mara told Luke that Vader lost his hand to the Emperor because of his blunder - the Death Star's plans leaking out.

By this time of course, both arms were mechanical, and so he couldn't actually lose one again..

darthmaul1
How about this, that she was told about her REAL mother by bail and his wife. and thats where the memories and feelings an images come from

DarkYoda
Originally posted by darthmaul1
How about this, that she was told about her REAL mother by bail and his wife. and thats where the memories and feelings an images come from

Could be... wink

queeq
The film novels are not EU.

finti
semi EU though cause in the Novelisation of Return it says that Owen Lars was Obi Wans brother...........

Lazerlike42
That is because in the original script it says that Obi-wan is Lars' brother. The novelezation is based on the script which is given to the author a loooong time before the movie is finished. What comes in the movie takes precedent over what comes in the script when they contradict.

Sparks
Originally posted by bilb
Well Thank God someone started this thread! Lord knows that in the last 20 years none of US have ever pondered this one.. roll eyes (sarcastic)
I started it, and I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

finti
well in the case of Owen being Obi Wans broher this matter wasn`t delt with before AOTC.
I used this as an example of how Lucas disregards info from the novelisatios of the films.
To discuss Star Wars I only uses the info provided in the films casue they are 100% cannon stuff.
On the other hand if one should regard the novelisations as well then acording to the ROTJ novel Leia and Padme spend some time together

Lazerlike42
idk according to official policy novelizations are canon, but I would say they are only where they don't contradict the films. Since it now contradicts ROTS, it's canon no more. (I don't think ROTS disagrees with ROTJ as long as you realize it's not memories Leia talks about but feelings)

finti
indeed I should have used semi canon instead of semi EU, or maybe they are both.something inbetween it all

yeah but for small kids their memories from the time they were kids (around 3 years, thats when memories really start to stick as memories) aint nothing but feeling and images when they are grown up. What I say is that George intentional plot about Padmes death has changed from what idea he had about ROTJ till ROTS

JediMasterRetro
Did anyone notiice there was little a little girl at Padmes funeral right behind her casket. I have thought about this many a time and this could be Leia hence she was with her mother for little time eg. Padme didnt acutually die straight away

finti
nah it is her sisters kid, you see her in deleted scenes in AOTC, and how would you explain the later scenes on Alderaan of Bail and his wife with Leia as a little baby again

hayden's minx
As soon as I came out of the cimema I complained about that.

JediMasterRetro
lol ok its just kind of confusing

Delta51VE

WRONGO
This question was specifically asked on the OS "ask the Jedi Council". The answer was that Leia was referring to her REAL MOTHER.

Delta51VE
Force my arse!!1 she

That is one of the most ridiculous, made up things I've ever read.

Delta51VE
You are resorting to subterfuge now.... the force provided Leia with images and feelings of her mother in the same way it provided Anakin with images of Padme's death, and Luke with images of his friends and feelings of their pain on Bespin, and so on....

Then why can't Luke, who's apparantly much stronger in the Force than his sister Leia (spelled L-E-I-A), have those same images of his mother?

Delta51VE
Originally posted by adele2k5
actually luke asks Leia about her natural mother he says do you remember your natural mother. Leia has a strong bond with pad me in the force as they both female just like luke and anakin have a strong connection

You're making that up. Since when is the Force sexist?

Delta51VE
Originally posted by JediMasterRetro
Did anyone notiice there was little a little girl at Padmes funeral right behind her casket. I have thought about this many a time and this could be Leia hence she was with her mother for little time eg. Padme didnt acutually die straight away

You're joking, right?
Where do people get this stuff?

That was her niece! Check the credits!

JediMasterRetro
Originally posted by Delta51VE
You're joking, right?
Where do people get this stuff?

That was her niece! Check the credits!

Sorry it was just a thought you know theres a lot to take in and you really need to see 3 or 4 times to see everything

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.