The writing of episode III

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ragesRemorse
Though, i enjoyed ROTS, i couldnt help, but not overlook the bad writing. Am i being to critical or am i just asking for what i should have gotten? There were no inconsitantcies like the previous two, but there was some damn bad writing that minimized the emotions of certain situations.

I think the main thing i have a gripe about is how easily Anakin was swayed to the darkside. I know that Palpitine had been polluting Anakins mind the entire time he was apart of the Jedi. However, The crucial point of Anakins transformation was secured in about one sentence.

After anakin killed mace windu, the only thing he had to say was " that was bad, i shouldnt have done that" LOL instances like this were through out the entire film, especially when padme died. "she is in perfect health, but she is just giving up all will to live" mad

moviejunkie23
for lucas it was at his best. he has proven he can do allot worse

ragesRemorse
I thought that lucas brought outside writers for episode III.

Your right though, he can do alot worse, but it was no where near being what we know as lucas's best. The only reason episode III did so well is because it was leading to the exticntion of the jedi. IT would have been REALLY REALLY hard to mess up episode III

moviejunkie23
actually i agree with you some lines were hokey, like love can't save you but my new powers can!!!! or something like that, it didn't ruin it for me but i agree with you lines like that could have been touched up.

there were scenes i loved for the lines though. When Palpatine is talking to Anikin in that theature thing i thought the lines were good. I liked the lines between obi and anikin towards the end for the most part too. And yoda talking smack was priceless. It was actually better than i expected. but your right, someone would be lieing if they said there were not weaker moments of dialouge

Y-chromo kid
Just come from MF where I've been reading the fan reviews. Rages, I have to agree with you, the fall was very clunky and unconvincing, a crucial part of the story that was handled badly. One moment Ani's tormented and regretful for slicing off Mace's hand and getting him killed, the next he's on bended knee pledging his allegiance to Palps. It needed to be handled more delicately than it was. I enjoyed the picture (best of the PT) but a few cack-handed moments stopped it from being the classic I hoped for.

moviejunkie23
Originally posted by Y-chromo kid
I've just come from MF where I've been reading the fan reviews. Rages, I have to agree with you, the fall was very clunky and unconvincing, a crucial part of the story that was handled badly. One moment Ani's tormented and regretful for slicing off Mace's hand and getting him killed, the next he's on bended knee pledging his allegiance to Palps. It needed to be handled more delicately than it was. I enjoyed the picture (best of the PT) but a few cack-handed moments stopped it from being the classic I hoped for.

yea as much as i want to defend the movie i also took mental notice how it was odd how soon he went from morning mace to bowing. They needed motre time in between, but if you think about it they had allot of ground to cover in a short period of time, maybe it was good they made it a fast transistion

EHmasterJedi
He could of used the music much better also, he needed some OT and other E1 music in alittle more

moviejunkie23
actually that music score when anikin is struggling about wether he is going to intervein with mace and sids while he is looking out of window was REALLY cool

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by moviejunkie23
actually i agree with you some lines were hokey, like love can't save you but my new powers can!!!!

See, for me, things like that just completely took me out of the movie. Most times i just turn a blind eye, but when cheese is spoken through out the entire movie i tend to pay attention more to the cheese than the wine. ROTS wasnt a bad movie, it wasnt a great movie though, and for t the most part it was due to the dialogue. Little things like this shouldnt happen in a star wars flick. These cats work non stop for three years perfecting the movie, how could they over look the childish dialogue of certain scenes.

Chromo reminded me of another problem i had, which was the fall of the jedi. The scenes where order 66 were executed were sentimental, but not very convincing, that this is how the entire JEdi fall.

Y-chromo kid
yea as much as i want to defend the movie i also took mental notice how it was odd how soon he went from morning mace to bowing. They needed motre time in between, but if you think about it they had allot of ground to cover in a short period of time, maybe it was good they made it a fast transistion [/

I don't know what the rest of you think but it might have been better if the movie ran for three hours, allowing events time to properly unfurl. I know there are some people who supposedly can't 'imbibe' information after say two hours but the LOTR worked well on it. I sense much valuable material on the cutting room floor. Lucas, slash happy he is, bringing unbalance to the movie.

bILLYgOAT
LUCAS took Anakins years of training, discipline, sacrifice and loyalty & he threw them all away for a whisper of immortality.

for LUCAS the concept of HONOR was missing in Anakins training.

bILLYgOAT
but hey
thats why we have lawyers

LandoSpeeder2
All I can say, is learn to enjoy the fricken movie would ya! do we have to pick at every bad thing?

bILLYgOAT
ok lando

the emperor new cloths look fantastic

Y-chromo kid
Originally posted by LandoSpeeder2
All I can say, is learn to enjoy the fricken movie would ya! do we have to pick at every bad thing?

Because I want to enjoy it at its very best, Lando. Because I want it to walk out into the world, not only with a pretty face, but a proud purposeful stride.

atila the great
ok, new question: how would you have written anakin's turn?

Y-chromo kid
Originally posted by atila the great

I hate these missing the point type questions. I'm not expected to write Star Wars scripts but I am obliged (by my cheerful, geeky SW self I might add) to go and view the finished product. I am also obliged (by a feeling no less deep) to point out any foibles contained within the story. If there is a God and one day I find myself standing before Him, accused of nitpicking, that will be my answer to Him and to thee.

bILLYgOAT
ok MASTER WRITER
show us how u would write it

Superfly4000
THE PROBLEM WAS THAT LUCAS BUILT EPISODES I AND II ON PURE CRAP. THEY have nothing to do with episode three. Lucas should have made Palp's influence on Anakin more gradual and concrete in episodes one and three, making his final turn more dynamic.

southtownbluz
I totally disagree. I think the writing was terrific. Considering that the story was to be like the old serials and intentionally a bit cheesy, there were some serious moments when I felt the intensity of this film. The comedy was classic, almost 80s classic. And it was actually FUNNY.

Then there were scenes that were just plain moving. This movie changed me and my whole perspective on the franchise. There really is a message behind all the special effects and merchandising. And it's powerful.

Later guys!!

atila the great
Originally posted by bILLYgOAT
OK MASTER WRITER
show us how u would write it

OK my padawan, I'm not telling you that i can write it, it's just that it makes me sick that the movie is out for one day and "the geek right" appears.

yes you have it but the difference is that Lucas wrote this movie, and it's not yours, you can be a fan of the Mona Lisa but it's not yours either.

we are just observers and for a writer ( being one myself, and no, i don't write any fan shits) it suck to hear "meeh it's good but i could have done it better" to you i say "really? wow, give me a copy of your book then, let's see the many hours with your ass on a chair typing, so that i cant look at it once and say, meeh i could have done it better"

simply put and not to start anything here: there are good star wars writers out there, serious people that create wonderful things, until you come out with something as deep and developed as anakin's turn or any other ROTS part....shut up

Y-chromo kid
OK my padawan, I'm not telling you that i can write it, it's just that it makes me sick that the movie is out for one day and "the geek right" appears.

yes you have it but the difference is that Lucas wrote this movie, and it's not yours, you can be a fan of the Mona Lisa but it's not yours either.

we are just observers and for a writer ( being one myself, and no, i don't write any fan shits) it suck to hear "meeh it's good but i could have done it better" to you i say "really? wow, give me a copy of your book then, let's see the many hours with your ass on a chair typing, so that i cant look at it once and say, meeh i could have done it better"

simply put and not to start anything here: there are good star wars writers out there, serious people that create wonderful things, until you come out with something as deep and developed as anakin's turn or any other ROTS part....shut up
Are you saying the only person qualified to comment on a movie is a writer (as opposed to a fan)? I don't think it's unreasonable to criticise certain flaws in a movie. I did like the movie, let's make that clear. But overall (my opinion) it was not as good as it should have been. Only a Sith deals in absolutes, Attila. I sense much fear in you.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.