Oscar nomination for Ian McDiarmid?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lau_timmy
If Ian McKellen can get one for LOTR, then Ian McDiarmid can bloody well get one as well for his performance as the best movie villain in history! He is the real star of this movie.

Texansfan05
I hope so. I think there's already a thread For Best Supporting Actor Ian Mcdiarmid.

tlbauerle
And can we just have one oscar thread instead of one for every category?

Texansfan05
Originally posted by tlbauerle
And can we just have one oscar thread instead of one for every category?

My Thread is the only one I found That cover's all the Category's thumb up

tlbauerle
That's cool...that was more for other people...

Texansfan05
lau timmy There's already a Ian Mcdiarmid Best Supporting Actor thread But I hope Ian gets nominated that would be cool cool

vivaldi7
Here's the deal on oscars and ROTS:

There will be NO nominations for acting oscars. NONE.
music, editing, special effects, sound effects, sure...there'll probably be a few.
But I'll tell you exactly how many acting nominations it'll get:

ZERO.

RedAlertv2
I know this is gonna make me look like an idiot, but what character did Ian McDiarmid play?

Texansfan05
Darth Sidious

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by vivaldi7

music, editing, special effects, sound effects, sure...there'll probably be a few.

ZERO.
Indeed... haven't we been through this already?

astrofan428
Richard Roeper deemed his performance oscar worthy. I hate the guy but he thinks like the people who do the awards.

Bicnarok

JKozzy
Originally posted by lau_timmy
If Ian McKellen can get one for LOTR, then Ian McDiarmid can bloody well get one as well for his performance as the best movie villain in history! He is the real star of this movie. Doubtful.

Robin Darkside
I dont know if he can get an oscar nomination, because there was alot of added effects into his voice that established his character. You can tell his voice was edited quite a bit.

Dont get me wrong, I would definetly love to see him get one

HAROLD
Why hasn't Ken closed this thread?

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=340312&highlight=best+supporting+actor

¨®¥å¥ça¥ç
I think there's a real chance... Sir Alec Guiness got nominated by Episode IV... Why not McDiarmid by Episode III?

Pogel
Because the film is done overseas, the film is done by Fox, and Lucas dropped out of every union and guildes and cloudn't use actors from those.
In one word: Politics.

Stunrun
Originally posted by vivaldi7

ZERO.

take it you hated him thenlaughing out loud

Stunrun
I would certainly give Ian Mcdiarmid an oscar, but the Academy are bunch of @!$$@!!

Morning_Glory
Palpatine was in LOTR?

Stunrun
who implied that?

roughrider
There hasn't been an acting nomination since Alec Guinness in 1977 - it's time. Atitudes are shifting. Though the first two prequels were enormously successful, there was so much controversy and carping about this n' that; the mixed ideas didn't allow it to even win tech categories like Visual Effects. But now, with the acclaim this film has gotten, and the reaction from some critics like "The Magic is Back!", or "Oh, That's where George was taking us!", things seem to be mostly forgiven.
It's interesting - this is the fifth time Ian McDiarmid has played this character, counting his holo insertion into The Empire Strikes Back DVD, and the best stuff for him has been saved for last. First appearence in Jedi, he was cackling evil, as we finally met the guy Vader called master. In the first two prequels, he was a thoughtful and practical senator-turn-chancellor, with a secret smile that was unexplained.
His gradual revelation of himself to Anakin, as he coaxed him over to his point of view, was so riveting I was on the edge of my seat, and I knew what was supposed to come. That's the difference - we may know intellectualy, beforehand, what happened to Anakin and the Jedi order. But to see it being acted out was like LA Weekly stated: like a childhood myth made horrifyingly real. When Palpatine finally reveals his power and explodes into action, he is more evil than I could have believed. So corrupt and full of joyous hate and malevolence; his transformation process, the duels, the way he states the line "And...We shall have...peace" with that gleeful, hateful smile - it made me think of Anthony Hopkins, playing Hannibal Lecter for the first time.
He SHOULD be nominated, at least.

JediLikeToDance
Good on ya for re-opening a 4-month-old thread - to the date!

(Last post: 06-06-05; Your post: 10-06-05)

Happy Dance

DeVi| D0do
Not gonna happen.

lordofwar
I heard that Frank Oz was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor in ESB but was ultimately rejected because the Academy felt that a puppeteer wasn't an actor.

DeVi| D0do
Kershner campaigned to get Oz a nomination but the academy wouldn't have it, if my memory serves me right...

FistOfThe North
The Academies hate Lucas, they'll never give him chance for some reason. Their loss.

shaber
Since Star Wars has always relied on special effects rather than acting it is likely that he will be overlooked, but his performance was the only one in the saga to rival Alec Guinness in the original.

chinabing
Not only does the Academy not like Lucas, the feeling is mutual. Lucas doesn't really care about honors and stuff like that.

I'll bet if he did care, he'd campaign a lot for it. Sometimes oscar nods get a "buzz" going, and where they start is a little unknown, it's just people talking and emailing and soon enough there's a rumor mill going. It's how LOTR III won best pic even though it's a dreadful film.

Alliance
Not that I dont think Ian didnt do a good job, but the day the Academy nominates Star Wars for an acting oscar is the day all hell breaks loose.

I thought ROTK deserved some oscars, not 11 though. Star Wars wont be nominated outside of tecnical awards.

starwarsrules14
I thought Ian did great, but they won't nominate him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.