Implied affair between Obi Wan and Padme?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Thumbilina
Hiya!! I just wanted to ask if anyone else thought that there was an implied affair between Obi Wan and Padme? When Padme's ship lands and Anakin sees Obi Wan on the deck his comments made me think that this was the real reason he was so angry with both Padme and Obi. Also, earlier in the movie when Ani asks Padme if Obi had been there with a snarl on his face. Anyone else pick up on this?? Thanks!

Ken Kenobi
It's something Anakin thought, there never was an affair though.

astrofan428
I dont think he thought there was an affair going on, he just didnt like him being around her for fear of their secret. And at the end he believes that Kenobi turned her against him.

Ben-Kenobi
Obi-Wan always knew about them really he just turned a blind eye.

kashmircat
before ep3 came out, i always thought that anakin thinking that obi-wan was having an affair with padme would have been one of the best reasons for him to go to the dark side. i'm glad the movie sort of touched on that.

astrofan428
Anakin should have realised that unlike himself, Obi-Wan followed the rules and kept control of his lightsaber.

Damn, that is my second dirty lightsaber joke tonight.

kashmircat
ouch...that's a very painful mental image

astrofan428
Damnit, I didnt think about it like that, but now I am.

Thumbilina
Yep, I know there wasn't an affair, but the look on Ani's face made me think HE thought there was. I just thought it could have been an interesting twist to the outcome of the situation.

Obi-wan2005
uh no...obi is a jedi no love remember...damn

Chiram
Hardly. The only reason Anakin asks if Obi had been there was that anakin suspected Obi of checking up on his movements concerning Palpitine. And the reason it may seem like there might have been an affair was Obi cared for Anakin, and he knew that he loved Padme so he felt it right to take care of Padme too.

JediMasterRetro
Obi Wan clearly always felt affection to Padme but not in an afair Anakin being young and naiev picked up on this affection and thought it was an affair

mtryder
Anakin had become completely immune to reason by then- he probably rationalized his hatred, fear, and jealousy in such ways. He may have thought there was an affair, but the movie never gives you any reason to really think so.

LightSaber_Part
Originally posted by Thumbilina
Hiya!! I just wanted to ask if anyone else thought that there was an implied affair between Obi Wan and Padme? When Padme's ship lands and Anakin sees Obi Wan on the deck his comments made me think that this was the real reason he was so angry with both Padme and Obi. Also, earlier in the movie when Ani asks Padme if Obi had been there with a snarl on his face. Anyone else pick up on this?? Thanks!

Why on earth would any one think that?? blink

now every time i see it I'm going to think of this. miffed

I don't think Uncle Gorge would put that in SW. no

mephistodesigns
wow, sometimes I just don't understand how people can all watch the same movie and then come up with crap like this.

Obi-wan2005
right on

LightSaber_Part
Originally posted by mephistodesigns
wow, sometimes I just don't understand how people can all watch the same movie and then come up with crap like this.
I totally agree yes

Thumbilina
Wow, vicious little fan boys are we not? Maybe, my being married to a jealous man, read more into it than what there was. It was just a casual observation so I thought I would throw it out there to see what others thought. There are A LOT of deep issues in Ep III that are merely touched on and not fully explained...Palpatine "creating" Anikan, who exactly was Sideous' mentor etc.
Sorry if I ruffled feathers...my bad...<smacks own hand>

mephistodesigns
its not that you can't make a case for it, its just that it is simply not there. You can say it was almost a metaphor for it....but the fact is Anakin just felt like everyone was turning against him, he felt like there was HIM, and then there was the REST OF THE GALAXY. He thought Padme was with him, but then he thought she brought Obi along to assist in stopping Anakin. Thats what happens, its whats on screen. Now if you want to say its like an emotional affair that ANAKIN saw was there...well thats totally subjective and all we can say is we don't think so.

And it has nothing to do with being a fan boy and everything to do with being an "active" or observant viewer whose paying attention.

xeous
Anakin yet again had misplaced hate.

He hated Obi because he thought Padme was pregnant with his children.

They're really Mace's kidz! BOOYAH!

mephistodesigns
jungle fever...catch it!

laughing

palpy_666
Um... I hope I saw the same movie as you guys. Didn't Anakin say to Padme before choking her-- "LIAR! You were with him!".. Or something to that effect? This is OBVIOUSLY Anakin thinking that Padme has been with Obi-Wan (in a certain way).

Perhaps he even thought that Padme was carrying the offspring of Obi-Wan? -- Now that wasn't implied, but it is an interesting thought.

astrofan428
Padme-"Your going down a path I cant follow"

Anakin-"Because of Obi-Wan"(who he is staring at)

Later

Anakin-"Liar! ..........Your with him, you brought him here to kill me!"

Later

Anakin-"You will not taker her from me!"

It does look like he may think that, though we know it isnt true.

LightSaber_Part
Originally posted by astrofan428
Padme-"Your going down a path I cant follow"

Anakin-"Because of Obi-Wan"(who he is staring at)

Later

Anakin-"Liar! ..........Your with him, you brought him here to kill me!"

Later

Anakin-"You will not taker her from me!"

It does look like he may think that, though we know it isnt true.

thank you astrofan.

(Like your new sig)

astrofan428
Originally posted by LightSaber_Part
thank you astrofan.

(Like your new sig)

Thankyou took no work at all, simply typed on some text and did the little art thing.

Thumbilina
Whew! Thank goodness, I thought I was going crazy there for a minute! I'm glad that there are others out there who caught on to the implication as I saw it. (Whether real or not) eek! big grin

astrofan428
Did anyone else notice Anakin smile when Padme said Obi-Wan wanted to help him?

What was that about?

astrofan428
This smile.

http://img221.echo.cx/img221/340/017ia.th.jpg

http://img221.echo.cx/img221/9061/025gb.th.jpg

jango fatt
Originally posted by xeous
Anakin yet again had misplaced hate.

He hated Obi because he thought Padme was pregnant with his children.

They're really Mace's kidz! BOOYAH! No they're yoda's kids
dumb ass!

JK

WindDancer

I got that same impresion during that scene. I think Lucas wanted to portrayed the jealous side of Anakin. But I don't think it was the real reason why Anakin turn to the dark side. I cannot help thinking that during the writting of the film at some point Lucas thought of a love triangle with Anakin, Obi, and Padme. Star Wars Soap Opera???...hmm...wink

DarkYoda
I think Anakin, in his twisted mind, may have thought that Padme had left him for Obi-Wan or something. Remember how he says, "What have you and she been up to?"

He also appeared to think that since they were "together" Obi-Wan had come to murder him at Padme's request. Remember he was really unreasonable and confused at this point.

Red Superfly
Anakin was mad because he was right and Obi-Wan and Padme were wrong, and they wouldn't listen to him, or agree to align themselves with him.

As Obi-Wan said "Only the Sith deal with absolutes". Anakin was so caught up with his own selfish desires he didn't care what anyone else wanted, not even Padme. I thought it was brilliant, to be honest.

Obi-Wan and Padme were against Anakin. Anakin was "right", so they were "wrong", and they became his enemy. Simple as that.

Had a little to do with jealousy I'm sure. Anakin simply saw them both as enemies. He dealt with such black and white authority. There is no grey area, no reasoning, just order and chaos. Because Obi-Wan and Padme hated the idea of The Empires "order", to Anakin, they became supporters of chaos, something which he had grown to hate.

Anakin may have had searring jealousy because Obi-Wan and Padme were united against him, and that is all he saw. He saw defiance in both of them. How could she side with Obi-Wan more than him? He was blind to any sort of opinion or rationality. He was frustarted that he went to all of this bother and nobody appreciated any of it and his friends were united against him. That's what sent him over the edge.

mephistodesigns
exactly. "with" him doesn't mean in the bedroom children. "with" can simply mean joining anothers view and being on their side. maybe we should have added "you're with him" to the dirty star wars line thread with such logic... laughing

Sadako of Girth
This isn't the first jealousy romantic triangle thing in SW of course...
As we remember with Han/Luke and Leia...

But this was better done with the abscence of a incestuous subtext..

Thumbilina
Ahhhhhh Sadako...I'd forgotten about that one...<slaps forehead> You see peoples...Georgie had it in him all along! LOL love yes

LightSaber_Part
yes, but none of them where Married wink

DarkYoda
ahem: I repeat...

Anakin: (To Obi-Wan while force choking his wife) "What have you and she been up to!!?!"

LightSaber_Part
but.................

Padme: Anakin, all I want is your love.

(a couple of lines later)

Padme: I don't know you anymore. Anakin. you're breaking my heart.
I'll never stop loving you, but you are going down a path I can't follow.

(a couple of lines later)

Padme: Because of what you've done. . . what you plan to do.
Stop, stop now. Come back! I love you.

so if she said that she loved him three times, (right then) than I don't think there would be any thing going on with her and Obi because of how much she loved him.

*Then*

Anakin: (seeing Obi-Wan) Liar!

Padme turns around and sees Obi-Wan standing in the doorway of the Naboo Cruiser.

Padme: No!

Anakin: Your with him. (saying that Obi is on the same side as Padme)
You've betrayed me! You brought him here to kill me!

thejeditraitor
MOST CONFUSED PEOPLE EVER!

LightSaber_Part
so do you think there was something going on??^^^

(Myself says NO)

thejeditraitor
hell no!

there is nothing to indicate this and it isn't part of the "betrayal".

DarkYoda
No... I never said I thought Obi and Padme had a relationship. That was very clear in the movie that they were just good friends. I'm saying that Anakin may have believed in his twisted mind that they (Obi-Wan and Padme) had a romantic involvement with each other. For all we know, Palpatine may have raised some doubts in his mind (because that would be the evil thing to do and perfect way to turn two friends against each other). Just my two cents. big grin wink rolling on floor laughing

thejeditraitor
no.
anakin is worried about obi turning her against him not sleeping w/ her.

DarkYoda
Originally posted by thejeditraitor
no.
anakin is worried about obi turning her against him not sleeping w/ her.

I think it was both. Anakin became paranoid about everything and everyone.

LightSaber_Part
Originally posted by DarkYoda
No... I never said I thought Obi and Padme had a relationship. That was very clear in the movie that they were just good friends. I'm saying that Anakin may have believed in his twisted mind that they (Obi-Wan and Padme) had a romantic involvement with each other. For all we know, Palpatine may have raised some doubts in his mind (because that would be the evil thing to do and perfect way to turn two friends against each other). Just my two cents. big grin wink rolling on floor laughing

oh, ok smile

JediMasterRetro
YEa comoom dakr side problem ....... Paronoira

LightSaber_Part
Originally posted by JediMasterRetro
YEa comoom dakr side problem ....... Paronoira

laughing out loud

astrofan428
In the book Palpatine put ideas in Anakin's head, saying that Obi had been meeting with a certain senator.

Aldaron
I think Palpy was putting that idea into his head. Or that he was so messed up, instread of choking Obi-wan for bringing Padme somewhere dangerous he choked Padme out of confusion Even with the script.

DeVi| D0do
Originally posted by mephistodesigns
Actually in the screenplay an affair is implied. The 'Making of' book speaks of it as well.

Well it's not really implied...it's all a part of Palpatine's plan to turn Anakin:

PALPATINE: There are rumors in the Senate anout Master Kenobi. Many believe he is not fit for this assignment.
ANAKIN: Not fit? Why would anyone think that?
PALPATINE: They say his mind has become fogged by the influence of a certain female Senator.
ANAKIN: That's ridiculous. Who?!?
PALPATINE: (slyly) No one knows who she is... only that she is a Senator.
ANAKIN: That's impossible. I would know.
PALPATINE: Sometimes the closest are the ones who cannot see.
ANAKIN becomes worried.
PALPATINE: Idle Senate gossip is rarely true and never accurate. I'm sure your Master wil do fine.

This explains why Anakin later asks Padme if Obi Wan was at her apartment.

I believe this is at least part of the reason behind his actions during the Mustufar confrontation...

Lazerlike42
perhaps it was cut to avoid people making the mistake of thinking it real

DeVi| D0do
Probably. It is an unneccessary plot point either way.

DeVi| D0do
I actually like the idea of Anakin suspecting an affair... it gives him more motivation for choking Padme which I always thought was needed. And also gives meaning to the line "LIAR! You were with him!"

Lazerlike42
That is true, but at the same time the idea presented in the film works too: he thinks Padme has betrayed him to Obi-Wan and that she has brought him there to capture/kill him, so he chokes her out of anger over that.

DeVi| D0do
Yeah, I guess it does work... though, to be honest, both times I saw the film it felt a bit weak... like there wasn't quite enough reason for him to want to do that. But I guess it does work without the affair bit.

Lazerlike42
You are correct it would be better with it though.

DeVi| D0do
Though, having said that... it would have taken time to establish Anakin's suspicions and Palpatine's manipulations of them. It would have made the middle of the film drag I think.

Good DVD bonus material though.

Lazerlike42
Which is one reason I believe the PT is not as popular.... while there was plenty of storytelling in the OT, it had very much fewer storytelling scenes than the PT, which has lot's of dialogue and thick plots. The OT told a story while all the while the characters were blowing stuff up or fighting or whatever, whereas the PT was very segmented: Plot/Action/Action/Plot/Plot/Plot/Plot/Action/Plot/Action/Action etc.

DeVi| D0do
That is very true and a very good point. And part of the reason I can't watch Episode II. Or actually maybe what makes it easier to watch it. Becuase in Clones the love scenes are just that: love scenes. And they're not easy to watch. The good thing is that I can skip through those scenes and not miss out on anything else.

Something else that annoys me: Lucas always says that he is not a great script writer. But that he writes these films himself becuase he says they don't rely on dialogue. But the way he sets up the film, as you said, does indeed rely quite a bit on dialogue. I really don't think he understands the balance needed between visuals, sounds and yes, dialogue. Fortunately though in Episode III Palpatine is the only one who has dialogue-heavy scene and really relies on dialogue... becuase most of his dialogue is good and delivered well.

cad
i totaly diagree with that. stick out tongue

Ahhhnakin
Remember, Obi-Wan and Anakin consider each other as family... either as brothers or as a father/son relationship. I don't think for a second that Anakin was jealous... he felt BETRAYED by Padme AND by Obi-Wan. When he first sees Padme on the lava planet (can't think of the name), he's fine with her. He knows she loves him and that's good enough for him... he doesn't really WANT her to know he pledged his loyalties to the dark side... he's just happy to see her and all is fine really. UNTIL he sees Obi-Wan. He goes balistic because he feels betrayed by his secret love... he already knows that Obi-Wan will be searching for him, but he never considered that Padme would turn her back on him. There was never a hint of romance between the two people who loved him. But... seeing the two that love you (as family or romanticallly) band together as one unit AGAINST you would make you snap, especially if they both are "pure" in your eyes. If only Padme said "Sure baby, I'll join you on the dark side"... all would have been fine. There's nothing like your soulmate choosing to live a life of nobleness and purity while you're off slaughtering younglings, you know?

Elondra
I'm sure that Anakin suspected a relationship between Obi-Wan and Padme even though there wasn't one.

But then again I might be wrong.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.