the sith

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jayno
one thing that has alway confused me a little is the master and apprentice thing. There are many jedis and a jedi can have a padwan.

A sith lord also has an apprentice, but can there only be these 2 sith in the galaxy at any one time? or can there be many sith likere there are jedi? Yoda says there is always 2, no more no less. is he just referring to 2 working together?

chilled monkey
Originally there were thousands. They fought amongst themselves and wiped each other out. Darth Bane alone survived. He created the 'rule of 2' to prevent infighting.

Theoretically later Sith could drop that rule and amass an army, but they'd soon turn on each other.

SixOfTwelve
Apparently, it means there are only ever two, period.
I admit it's not put out all that clearly in the movies - perhaps one of the greatest faults of the prequel trilogy as a whole is that it's too much of a multimedia project - you need knowledge from the comics, books, and cartoon series to fully appreciate it.
Anyway, if you can forgive a few spelling mistakes,
http://stuffo.howstuffworks.com/sith.htm
has quite a good summary on how the whole Sith thing was treated in the EU and subsequently in the movies.

Robin Darkside
I think what Yoda was refering to, is that if there is an apprentice, then there must a master. So, once Darth Maul died, they were not sure if the master or the apprentice was destroyed, but there has to be another one out there.

There were many sith, Dooku, Mual, Vader, Grevious (well somewhat sith)

Remember when Mace said that the sith cannot return without them knowing. According to some books or games. The sith ruled the galaxy at one time.

Jedi Priestess
Originally posted by Robin Darkside

There were many sith, Grevious (well somewhat sith)

No, not even close. Grevious was not a Sith in any way shape or form. Nor was he force sensitive.

SixOfTwelve
Originally posted by Jedi Priestess
No, not even close. Grevious was not a Sith in any way shape or form. Nor was he force sensitive.

Yes, but like what I said about the shortcomings of the PT, that's something we know because we read the script, saw Clone Wars, and read some EU materials.
All we get in the movies is "I was trained in the Jedi arts by Count Dooku", which is pretty misleading for the general moviegoing public. I'm betting most "normal" movie watchers will think he's some sort of fallen Jedi or even Sith.

Jedi Priestess
Is it that important? I mean really? He's not that big a factor in the overall picture of the saga.

Robin Darkside
Ok, he knew a little bit about the jedi teachings as it was said, unless he was lying and found those lightsabers.

Still, what is it to be sith? To be a jedi originally, then join the darkside?
or u have to have a sith master like Palpatine?

Jedi Priestess
My suggestion to you is this. Take the time to go back a few pages, really, cause your impatience is sure to drive some of the older members crazy. Every question has pretty much been answered before.

SixOfTwelve
Originally posted by Robin Darkside
Still, what is it to be sith? To be a jedi originally, then join the darkside?
or u have to have a sith master like Palpatine?

Again, something the movie doesn't answer. THe EU however differentiates between Sith as a race (in the olden days), Sith as a cult (what we have now), and so-called Dark Jedi (e.g. Jerec in the old "Dark Forces/Jedi Knight" games)

Darth Jayno
Originally posted by SixOfTwelve
Apparently, it means there are only ever two, period.
I admit it's not put out all that clearly in the movies - perhaps one of the greatest faults of the prequel trilogy as a whole is that it's too much of a multimedia project - you need knowledge from the comics, books, and cartoon series to fully appreciate it.
Anyway, if you can forgive a few spelling mistakes,
http://stuffo.howstuffworks.com/sith.htm
has quite a good summary on how the whole Sith thing was treated in the EU and subsequently in the movies.

Wow, I always knew the how stuff works website was cool but I never realised it was that cool.

Thanks for that link, it definatley answers my question and a whole lot more!!

Darkside_lover
The sith rock! i wish they killed all the jedi in the galaxy....im not like...a sadist or something...i just love to see anakin killing little children :P

Obi-wan2005
well in the rotor games there's more but in the movies there is 2 sith the rest are clones/droids....but if it had to do with the games i have to say just as the leaders

Obi-wan2005
KOTOR*

Darth Jayno
I think I may have to turn to the EU now, there is nothing to look forward to now ROTS has been seen. I think some of those sith adventure sound a good place to start. I am not totally new to the EU, i have read tales from mos eisley, truce at bakura, shadows of the empire jedi search and the dark empire comics. i want to learn more about the sith though, especially after reading that stuff on the how stuff works web site. I bet none of em are as cool as vader though smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.