The Chosen One

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Revan33
Why do a lot of people think Anakin's all powerful because he's the Chosen One? In EU, a lot of people have extinguished the Sith, (light side) Revan, the Exile, Luke Skywalker, etc. Some would also argue that Luke killed Vader too.

Anakin destroyed two Sith Lords. Obi killed half of them at the time, but he's not all powerful (though still pretty tough). Heck, Anakin STOPPED Mace from destroying the Sith, so why is it so important that he's the Chosen One if someone else could've done it too?

Darth_Janus
I think Lucas tried to put another plot twist or spin on the already seemingly obvious story (In other words, he was trying to spice up the prequels. He didn't want the movies to be TOO obvious.) and it backfired, really. GL himself says SW is all about imagination and creativity and "thinking outside of the box", as I heard him say himself the other day. Also, the notion he dismisses Eu entirely is nonsense, since he integrated many EU things into his prequels and even used to give out copies of Dark Forces as gifts.

Quite simply put, the average person is willing to take everything at face value, leave speculation and reasoning to others, ignore their ideas, and live in a comforting, suffocating coccoon of ignorance. End rant.

Again, I hath spoken.

Gryn Jabar
I think Luke is the chosen one. Notice that he never gets his midi-chlorians tested (I may be wrong), and that Anakin might simply have been a pawn.

Darth_Glentract
Anakin did fufill the prophecy when he killed Sidious. The Force just works in strange ways.

Darth_Janus
Kinda like Murphy's Law.

ragesRemorse
are the medichlorians referred to in any of the EU books?

Fishy
Not that I know off.

Besides this chosen one thing, Lucas pretty much says Anakin is the chosen one, but he never makes it clear in the movies. Mace constantly doubts the prophecy, Obi says Anakin was the chosen one, he didn't think he was at the end of ROTS.. Not anymore, then you still have Yoda who said that a prophecy could be easily misread, like we all know.

Qui Gon is the one that believes Anakin is the chosen one, the rest has doubts. whether he was right or not was never really answered in the movies

Darth Revan33
I believe Lucas made Yoda and Obi not believe the prophecy by the end of ROTS so after that they think it might be Luke. Which is half true, the Sith would not have been destroyed if Luke hadn't turned his father...

Fishy

darth-yoda
maybe liea is the chosen one

Otaku_Sith
The prophecy is misread,i think.Maybe the prophecy said Anakin's son would be the Chosen one that would be Luke.

Fishy
A prophecy as a rule is vague with no real clear descriptions otherwise it won't be cool... So no it didn't say Anakin his son will be the chosen one.

That just doesn't sound cool, when you are writing a prophecy would you write that or would you keep it vague, i'd keep it as vague as possible smile

Otaku_Sith
Yes but it might be misreaded like it said:the son of who you think will be the chosen one is the chosen one.

Fishy
Then how can you misread it? Nobody ever thought Anakin his mom was the chosen one, if they thought that they would have encouraged Anakin to find a wife

Otaku_Sith
Uhhh...damn,you win.

Darth_Janus
I have a prophecy.

Someone, somewhere, will bring ultimate peace and balance t the universe, through means totally unrelated at this time.

Oh, must be me. Or Bob. Yes, Bob is the Chosen One, cuz his mom can't remember his dad and he has a high bacteria count.

Fishy
Watto is anakin his father

Otaku_Sith
Luke is Anakin's father.Then years later he show's up pretending not to know what happened before,and goes of to kill Vader.

starmovie-jaina
He is the chosen one, his destiny is to bring balance to the force, to do this he needs to destroy the old jedi order and the sith because all are too set in their ways to understand the true force or listen apprechiativly to its directions. At the end of RotJ the balance has been regained because as the one remaining 'jedi' Luke has the power to reform the understanding of the force without the strict regulations that swayed the judgement of the earlier jedi. The new jedi look for the force and aim to understand its movements rather than live like monks simly following the rules set out centuaries before

Darth_Janus
I think Watto is Annie's father. That explains why Watto knows what Jedi are and can resist a mind trick. He's probably Sith, too.

They should have a talk show, Springer style, where Sidious, Watto, Qui Gon, and a host of others come out and Shmi announces who is the real father of Anakin Skywalker. I'd hate to be security on that show.

Darth Revan33
Yeah, I could see it now:

Janus: You're not authorized to be here!

*Sith Lord whips out double bladed lightsaber*

Uh, like I was saying, the doughnuts are free...

On subject though, Luke could be the Chosen One, he is the one who keeps the Jedi order alive, and the one to turn Vader back into Anakin. Then Luke goes on to restore the Jedi knights to the galaxy.

Tulak Hord
I think Kyle Katarn is the Chosen One. He brought balance back to the Force at the Valley of the Jedi, by releasing all the souls, he would be either a Dark Lord and a Light Jedi with all the power. It even says somewhere that he fulfilled a prophecy by killing Jerec.

Darth_Janus
SO what about the idea as Yoda put forth that a prophecy is misread? Or perhaps it is a line of BS leaked to the Jedi council by the Sith? They placate the Jedi into putting their trust into young Skywalker, who is in turn actually a creation of PLagues?

My god, did I just suggest that? Meh... I must be tired.

Fishy
You are sick, go to a hospital right now before you go completly insane..

And a prophecy to answer your question doesn't appear ouf of nowhere, if it did it would be heavily doubted by everybody and this entire chosen one crap would be even less accepted by the council.

Darth_Janus
Then where did it come from?

Darth Koroni
Originally posted by Darth_Janus
I think Watto is Annie's father. That explains why Watto knows what Jedi are and can resist a mind trick. He's probably Sith, too.

They should have a talk show, Springer style, where Sidious, Watto, Qui Gon, and a host of others come out and Shmi announces who is the real father of Anakin Skywalker. I'd hate to be security on that show.

Nope. Reason being that Watto declared that he was a Tungarian or something, he said that his species are resistant to the ol' Jedi Mind trick. The best bet on who is Anakin's father would be Plaguis, but that depends on when he died.

Darth_Janus
Search for sarcasm next time. And Watto was a Toydarian. According to HIM they are resistant to Jedi mindtricks, but I'm leaving aside room for doubt. Watto himself might have a mental implant for all we know.

Fishy
Originally posted by Darth_Janus
Then where did it come from?

GL?

But that doesn't sound cool, so lets just say some guy we will call him Person ABISDFS who happens to be a Jedi councillor, fought a powerful sith Lord which we shall call Person QWERTYLKJJ. This QWERTYLKJJ defeated ABISDFS and then said he could not be beaten because he was Sith'ari a ancient Sith legend he discovered and thought of himself, because he's smart. ABISDFS was really pissed of because of that he managed to escape and he told the council that there was a Sith'ari somebody who fulfilled an ancient Sith legend and he was all powerful.

The council was scared but one Master was smart, we shall call him Person POTJERSAST. POTJERSAST being the smart guy he was walked up to a powerful student and said he was the "chosen one" everybody believed POTJERSAST and his legend.

So POTJERSAST took ABISDFS and the student and a few other masters to challenge QWERTYLKJJ. They killed him but the student died, so POTJERSAST said that this was not the real chosen one and another one would show up later, to kill the Sith and bring balance to the force (because the Sith were a lot more powerful back then).

The prophecy was never fulfilled or looked at again because nobody thought they could find a chosen one and didn't know how to identify him, except for Qui Gon.

And thats how the prophecy was born

chronic
the prophecy is like the bible it reads that the chosen one shall be born from a virgin mother and bring balance to the force which anakin fulfilled by killing(at the time)the last remaining sith(the emperor)and brought peace to the galaxy.
i hope i made that clear enough to u and this is from GL's blessed mouth not mine, i lust typed it.
time to watch american idol(i must be really bored)

TraptUnderIce
SPOILERS FROM NJO

Anakin Solo brings more balance to the force than any Skywalker. Solo gets rid of the dark side and the light side practically.

Darth_Janus
How the hell can you get rid of the dark and light side? That should be EU going way overboard...

xxxpoppunker182
want the prophecy that the chosen one would destroy the sith and balance out the force?

and then yoda said it might have been misread?

well lets just say yoda was right wouldn't have anakin fofilled the prophecy? i mean maybe the prophecy was he'll ba;ance out the force meaning at that time there were hundreds if not thousands of jedi and what 2 sith so by anikin turning and killing then it ended up kind of equal? like vader and palp and obi luke and yoda those are the main ones i'm not saying they are the only ones just the ones in the movies. thats just a take on it.

i think that ani was the chosen one but due to other curcumstances he fell cause lucas has referred to him as the chosen and if he says he is than he is.

Darth_Janus
How the hell does 2 Sith, 2 Jedi make balance again? And even when they die, is there balance? There is no balance. Evil isn't destroyed, or even staved off for awhile, and good still exists.

Renegade_Jedi
Yeah, but lets take a walk back.
Look in the original version of the EP I script, back when Lucas wrote all of them at once before even EP IV was out.
It says the "Son of Sith", not the "son of the force", like the modern version.
So, that pretty much narrows it down to Luke, or Triclops (from city of the jedi or something like that...Palp's son)

TraptUnderIce
Anakin did bring balance to the force killing all the jedi leaving only dark and light apprentice and master, Obi and Yoda, Vader and Sidious and when Obi dies Luke is there to fill in for him to balance it. Eventually though Luke ****s it up he becomes the only one left and then goes and creates new ones.

The original ones were sort of screwed up considering everyone called Palpatine the emperor and anakin DARTH Vader. Shouldn't the Emperor have been called Darth Sidious? No because that would give it away in Ep1 sort of but no he should've done them in order.

Emperor Revan
Originally posted by TraptUnderIce
Anakin did bring balance to the force killing all the jedi leaving only dark and light apprentice and master, Obi and Yoda, Vader and Sidious and when Obi dies Luke is there to fill in for him to balance it. Eventually though Luke ****s it up he becomes the only one left and then goes and creates new ones.

The original ones were sort of screwed up considering everyone called Palpatine the emperor and anakin DARTH Vader. Shouldn't the Emperor have been called Darth Sidious? No because that would give it away in Ep1 sort of but no he should've done them in order.

Dude, bringing balance to the Force is simply destroying all the Sith lords, it doesn't matter how many Jedi are left.

Fishy
How is that balance? Thats not balance, thats all power to the light, and destruction of the Dark..

Emperor Revan
Originally posted by Fishy
How is that balance? Thats not balance, thats all power to the light, and destruction of the Dark..

Well, I agree with you but that's Lucas' interpretation of it. That's how it's defined in the movies.

Fishy
Originally posted by Emperor Revan
Well, I agree with you but that's Lucas' interpretation of it. That's how it's defined in the movies.

Yeah okay, but his interpretation of it just sucks

Emperor Revan
Originally posted by Fishy
Yeah okay, but his interpretation of it just sucks

Yep. He should have called it, bringing one sided balance to the Force.

the_Undying
Everyone is overlooking one strangely LARGE part of the so-called "prophecy" : the word BALANCE. How can there be balance if all of one half of the force wielders are dead? There were TONS more jedi than sith in ep III, there was only one sith: Siddius (Dooku got murdered, shut up). At the end, there were exactly two on both the light and dark sides, Yoda and Obi-Wan on the light side, and Siddius and Anakin on the Dark Side (Luke excluded of course... not a whole lot of ass-whooping can be had by a day-old newborn. That's balance, guys.

the_Undying
It has just occurred to me that my previous statement has already been made by someone apparently much more coherent than myself. please excuse my ignorance.

Thank you,
your mom

Ushgarak
All of you are just looking at Balance in a very simplistic dualistic fashion. George Lucas does not see this as balance. The idea that for there to be Balance there has to be equal numbers of Jedi and Sith is just silly- and that isn't what hapepns at the end anyway, as we are left with NO Sith, and the good guys Luke and Leia alive, so it is doubly silly. It really shows a lack of imagination to get stuck over this- or having read too much bad fantasy.

George Lucas made it clear that imbalance is evil. The Sith are evil, they bring imbalance. The Jedi are good, they bring Balance.

The Sith unbalance the Force. Anakin kills the Sith and therefore balance is restored. Therefore he is the Chosen One.

You could have a billion Jedi and no Sith and things would be balanced- in fact, they are much more likely to be, as that is what the Jedi do.

Simple as that- absolutely no more debate needed.

To answer the original question, no-one thinks Anakin is necessarily powerful because he will re-balance the Force. However, it is clear that the Chosen One is labelled in the Prophecy as being very powerful, because that is how Qui-Gon recognises him.

Meanwhile, the thing about it all being mis-read is because the Jedi never know. We know it was ultimately right because we have GL to tell us. But the people in the story do not, and they can doubt it.

The answer is given to us in ROTJ.

the_Undying
God bless you, sir or madam, for actually making sense where several have failed (myself included). Granted, yours was an opinion I personally held, as well, but playing devil's advocate is fun too, ya know?
Great job, though, of making a concise, seemingly irresputable, post.

Emperor Revan
Woo hoo, he's the chosen one even though others could've been too, sure he destroyed the Sith but there still wouldn't have been balance without Luke to keep the Jedi alive and restore the order (not to mention turn Vader back into Anakin).

Who makes these prophecies anyway? Why would it matter if this guy is gonna do it if someone else would've done it earlier and kept balance if not for the Chosen One?

TraptUnderIce
I'm confused how killling all the Sith balances it out and Anakin didn't even kill all the Sith. He left Sidious alive and became one himself. Doesn't him becoming one make him destroy the balance?

Human Vader
are you serious?

vader killed sidious, maybe you should watch the movies before posting on the forum. anyways GL says anakin is the chosen one, but how he was born is left up to the fans. whether he was a creation of plagueus or born through the will of the force.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by TraptUnderIce
I'm confused how killling all the Sith balances it out and Anakin didn't even kill all the Sith. He left Sidious alive and became one himself. Doesn't him becoming one make him destroy the balance?

The point is that he does it in Return of the Jedi!

DarthMandalore
am i alone in thinking revan was 'the chosen one'?

LordSorgo
Originally posted by Ushgarak
The point is that he does it in Return of the Jedi!

Bottom line being that there would be NO DAMN MOVIES IF THERE WASN'T SITH! I GUARENTEE IT! And even if it was, it would be one hell of a boring movie. It would consist of Jedi waltzing around kill smugglers or some shit. And no one would be able to kill them because no one else would be wielding lightsabers to stop them from killing the smugglers, damnit!

Sidious gets his ass bench pressed into a generator. Bottom line. Doesn't matter when it happened. He died. Boom. Zip. Done.

Mace should have killed Sidious in his damn office and Anakin probably would have been better off.

Emperor Revan
Originally posted by DarthMandalore
am i alone in thinking revan was 'the chosen one'?

Well, in EU (light side) Revan does destroy the Sith and bring peace to the galaxy so sure you could say so.

Fishy
There were probably a lot of chosen one's in the time of the Galaxy... That guy Jolee talked about who destroyed the Krath was a chosen one he had a great destiny and furfilled it by dying.

Revan could have been a chosen one, Bastilla could have been. Nomi could have been one, Ulic could have been one. There probably isn't one, prophecy's come and go as they please a lot of the time.

DarthMandalore
"the chosen one" might be a title. you know every hundred years or so a new "chosen one" comes and saves the galaxy.

Whie Malreaux
I believe in the book, Yoda or someone mentions that the prophecy might have been misread. Or not misread, just misinterpreted. When bring the force into balance, the Jedi would obviously see this as destroying the Dark Side. But from the Sith point of view, it could mean the destruction of the Jedi. I think someone brought up the question of maybe the light side of the force out ways the dark side. ie the jedi controlling the republic. If that is true, then Anakin turning to the dark side would only be right to bring balance. I don't know, anything can be right in this matter.

Clawed The Bum
imagin what would of happened if anackin never existed. he saved obi's life 9 times( literally). doku wouldn't have been sacrifised for anackin therefore doku and sidiuos would still be alive. mace would of still been dead becuase he wouldn't know that sidiuos was a sith lord and probably would of died from the clones. jar jar would have died( curse you anackin). and well many things but in the end doku and sidiuos would of ruled and luke and obi and no one would of been there to stop him. if it weren't for anackin there would of been at least less balance. so therefore i do bieleve that anackin was the chosen one.

Darth Somebody
Jar Jar is the Chosen One! Lol.

Darth Teeron
Didnt you ever hear on EPI when she says "There was no father... I carried him, I gave birth to him, i cared for him..." or something along those lines?

Emperor Revan
Originally posted by Clawed The Bum
imagin what would of happened if anackin never existed. he saved obi's life 9 times( literally). doku wouldn't have been sacrifised for anackin therefore doku and sidiuos would still be alive. mace would of still been dead becuase he wouldn't know that sidiuos was a sith lord and probably would of died from the clones. jar jar would have died( curse you anackin). and well many things but in the end doku and sidiuos would of ruled and luke and obi and no one would of been there to stop him. if it weren't for anackin there would of been at least less balance. so therefore i do bieleve that anackin was the chosen one.

If Anakin were never around then Mace, the other 3 masters, etc. would've been at the temple to combat the clones. Not to mention Anakin did kill some Jedi which wouldn't happen. Obi and Yoda would've gone to fight Sidious and the Emperor would probably have died.

In any case, I don't like to deal in the "if they were never born". I still don't think Anakin is the Chosen one because Mace would've destroyed the Sith if not for Anakin, more Jedi would've survived if not for Anakin, and it was only because Luke brought him back that Anakin killed the Emperor. So you could say Luke killed Vader which was half the job and restored Anakin who killed the Emperor. Or you could say that the Emperor destroyed the last Sith lord since Vader died after the Emperor. I like the first one myself. Not to mention Luke was the one to restore the Jedi order and it would've died because of Anakin if not for Luke.

Next, according to Obi in the ROTS novel, it doesn't even have to be a Jedi that brings balance. So Anakin being supposedly created by the Force wouldn't have anything to do with the Chosen One. Lastly, I don't even think the Force is Anakin's "father". I think Shmi got drunk, knocked unconscious, mind tricked or just plain didn't want to talk about it. Maybe she got raped by some bum off the street and didn't want to tell Qui-Gon that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.