Unexpected duel scenes in ROTS

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Vanquish
SPOILER (not sure if we have to say that anymore, but just in case)

Was anyone else as surprsed as me about the main duels? I thought forsure that Palps and Anakin were going to be portrayed as much stronger then the jedi, but that actually wasen't the case.

Windu Vs Palpy: There was a lot of debate before the movie whether Palpy pretended to be weak vs Windu in order to turn Anakin. I have to admit, I was one of them. But after seeing the movie, Windu clearly beat Palpy when he was fully trying. There was never an indication, a look, a hesitation at all from palpy. He simply lost. I'm surprised, but it turns out that Windu was stronger. The only time he played up to Anakin was right before he was going to die. The rest of it, he just plain lost...

Yoda vs Palpy: I'm SOOOO happy that during the big duel, it was essentially a draw. In saber combat, Yoda was stronger, putting Palps on the defensive. In force fighting (throwing senate pods) palps was backing up Yoda. I believe though that they could have held eachother off for several hours if Yoda haden't lost his saber there. Sometimes the stronger fighter loses (ie Maul losing to Obi), and i'm glad to see that they portrayed Yoda as at least being a very good fight for palps, and could even see him winning in a rematch. Yoda's the man smile

Obi vs Anakin: I thought that Anakin was supposed to kick obi's ass, and obi gets lucky somehow like he always does. However, in the duel they were totally even. Neither had the advantage at any time really. Even when they both tried to force push eachother, they both got hit against the wall. I was surprised that Obi beat Anakin in a straight up duel with no luck involved.

All three duels surprised me. Anyone else?

astrofan428
Anakin looked to have the advantage, why do you think they covered all that ground? Obi-Wan was trying distance himself from Anakin's furious attacks.

Obi-Wan simply made a smart decision and Anakin a stupid one(jump to the left or right you ass).

Captain REX
Yup! Obi-Wan made another lucky and excellent decision. Hence, he's still alive...though, he dies, but that was also an excellent decision, from a certain point of view. wink

After watching the movie, I do agree that Palpatine was crawling away from Mace like a cornered animal. Had Anakin not made more stupid decisions, he would be gone.

astrofan428
Anakin sre seems to **** up alot.big grin

Captain REX
Yup! Only when he becomes Vader does he realizes what an idiot he is... evil face

Morgoths_Wrath
I think Lucas liked the idea that Mace was the strongest Jedi on the counsel (arguably equal if not greater than Yoda), and he also wanted to make it look like it all would have ended there, had Anakin not interfered. I thought it was cool how one could feel Mace's power in that scene, he had Palpatine right where he wanted him. It was over...and then Anakin went and did some "damn fool" thing...

Vanquish
I've seen it twice now, and I definitely think Anakin and Obi were evenly matched. The only reason Obi backs up is because that is his form specialty. He is a defensive fighter. But at no time was Obi actually in serious trouble. Not like vs Maul, where he flat out got lucky. He actually held his own completely vs Anakin. And that was Anakin at his absolute strongest in any of the movies. Obi kicks some serious ass in ROTS.

astrofan428
You have to wonder how many times Anakin and Obi-Wan practiced togther over the years, they basically know every move the other will make.

Morgoths_Wrath
Originally posted by astrofan428
You have to wonder how many times Anakin and Obi-Wan practiced togther over the years, they basically know every move the other will make.

good point

Darth_Nefarus
I think Obi-Wan only matched Anakin because their forms are opposites, and Obi-Wan knows Anakin's moves.

Vanquish
The same thing could be said on the opposite though. Anakin is supposed to be at his peak during that duel. If he is actually stronger then Obi, he should be able to beat him. Obi knows Anakin's moves, and Anakin knows Obi's. In that case, the fastest, the strongest, would win everytime. Anakin should be able to anticipate his masters moves and come out on top if he is truly stronger. He didn't, and he isn't.

astrofan428
Yeah but knowing Obi's moves doesnt mean much when he is always the agressor, Obi simply blocks all Anakin's moves. There is nothing for Anakin to counter.

((The_Anomaly))
Go the the Poll of windu vs. palps, and you will see that the majority of people disagree with you on this opinion. As do i....

Vanquish
People STILL think that Palps was just playing? I watched that scene VERY closely twice now, and there is absolutely no indication at all that palps wasen't trying his best. Right up to the moment he fell on his ass against the wall, I thought he was trying his best. After that, he was trying to turn Anakin by playing it up. But he did get dropped by Windu. Beleive me, I would love to think that Windu didn't actually beat him. I've never thought much of him actually. But the movie shows that he did in fact win that duel.

And as far as the Anakin not being able to beat Obi because Obi just defends. Well that's just stupid. Are you also saying that because Obi just defends, that neither Yoda or Palps could beat him either? Please... Either of them would take out Obi i'm sure. The fact that Anakin couldn't just means that Obi is in fact stronger, or at the very least, better in combat.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.