the sentry vs superman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

all4carnage
this sentry guy is pretty new but from what i already know about him he may be the most powerfull superhero of all time

Scoobless
what exactly do you know about him?

other than what a few people said in his limited series... ie... he stalemated Galactus....

this could all be a hoax, his powers (or someone else's) could easily later be revealed to have hypnotized everyone to belive all that stuff

the only thing he has actually done is tear Carnage in half

all4carnage
well there's not enough history with the sentry to say who would win but if u lay it all out and compare abilities the are very even....they say his powers are limitless but i think marvel may have made him alittle to powerful...even DC downed sups power alittle after the years

leonheartmm
hes said to be the most powerful human{after franklin richards i suppose}, and i have NOTHING TO GO AGAINST THAT FACT, any1 can LATER be revealed to be a hoaxter or anything, from what i DO know about him, he is far more powerful than superman prime or even precrisis superman.

Mainstream
god gambit...don't you realize the Sentry powers can't be measured??? don't ask me how I know...he'd kill me if I say.

all4carnage
how would it be revealed as a hoax?....

Mainstream
eh?

all4carnage
sorry, that was for leonheartmm.....

Mainstream
oh

all4carnage
how do u feel about how marvel just pulled this powerhouse out of nowhere to compare to superman????

Mainstream
Sentry been around for a while..it's just only recently that he's been getting attention

all4carnage
well hes only been around since 2000 right??

Mainstream
I think so..but I'm not completely sure

all4carnage
im a marvel head......i dont take kindly to others like dc and others... but i respect their heroes....marvel has my full suport with the sentry and i would love to see another marvel vs dc with the senty in the picture........even though its going to be hard with the wildcats coming to dc

leonheartmm
all4carnage, i meant that for scoobles, any character or feat can later found out to be a hoax or trick, but to say that we dont know if its a hoax or not n shouldnt believe in the power of sentry is stupid,

all4carnage
well the sentry is going to have an ongoing series.....

Mainstream
really? ^

leonheartmm
i dont get it why do people compare sentry to supes, what exactly is similar about them, their powers? their backgrounds? their art? thair storyline? their costume? their purpose? their weaknesses? their villians? i mean what is it? i dont think sentry is anythin even remotely like supes.

Mainstream
they both two super white dudes trying to make a dollar out of 15 cents

whirlysplat
He is the worlds (Marvels) greatest Hero (according to Reed)
He can fly (into space)
He is superstrong
He is almost invulnerable if the mini is right
Hulk hits "Golden Man" with a train
He has a cape

In some ways he is like Supes in others, he is more like Miracleman or Shazam. or even Don Blake/Thor

He has a human alter ego
Much weaker and flawed than he
He changes from the weak human Rob Reynolds into Sentry
The mini paid "homage" to the golden age in a lot of its language, e.g. "the golden guardian of good".
Its Artwork also at times paid homage to golden age Supes, Shazam and Marvel man.

He has a serum like a lot of Golden age guys (Hourman springs to mind) did.

So why is he like Supes besides his powers, well Stan Lees back story. Rob Reynolds was the first and greatest. He taught the others about heroing, ring any bells yet.

So he has been created with uncle Stans false back story to be Marvels Supes, Marvel being Marvel they have to give him a twist, like most Marvel characters he has feet of clay, e.g. Tony's alcholism, or Hanks spouse abuse, he is an addict and he has a dark side........ like Warlock has the Magus, he has Void.

So whilst he is a Supes clone he is not as direct as say Hyperion or Gladiator, he is a mixture of more than one good idea. He has though undoubtedly been created to fill the "void" (coincidence) that marvel does not really have its Superguy.

Well thats my thoughts and opinion.

Keep the faith smile

Originally posted by leonheartmm
i dont get it why do people compare sentry to supes, what exactly is similar about them, their powers? their backgrounds? their art? thair storyline? their costume? their purpose? their weaknesses? their villians? i mean what is it? i dont think sentry is anythin even remotely like supes. smile

Sentry
i dont get it why do people compare sentry to supes, what exactly is similar about them, their powers? their backgrounds? their art? thair storyline? their costume? their purpose? their weaknesses? their villians? i mean what is it? i dont think sentry is anythin even remotely like supes.

I agree with you here. He looks more along the line of Thor than Superman. He's at least as strong/powerful as Thor. Thor has driven away Galactus before as well. A really weak and hungry Galactus, but he did it. If he was really weak, why could only he, battle the Void on equal terms, where all of marvel's earth heroes Thor, Strange, Hulk, X-men, Avengers, etc... were all scared sh!tless. If he wasn't their, earth's heroes would have been killed. Back to the original question, Sentry will take current Superman. This thread has been done before, and a majority of people would agree with me. For Prime or Pre-Crisis however, I'll wait and see what Bendis does with Sentry in the New Avengers 7 through 9 story arc, and see what he can accomplish in the House of M/New Avengers tie in. Sentry wins. Oh he looks like Thor, maybe Angel too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/sifu1/394px-Newaveng9.jpg

whirlysplat
We don't know enough about him to be sure but
He is the worlds (Marvels) greatest Hero (according to Reed)
He can fly (into space)
He is superstrong
He is almost invulnerable if the mini is right
Hulk hits "Golden Man" with a train
He has a cape

In some ways he is like Supes in others, he is more like Miracleman or Shazam. or even Don Blake/Thor

He has a human alter ego
Much weaker and flawed than he
He changes from the weak human Rob Reynolds into Sentry
The mini paid "homage" to the golden age in a lot of its language, e.g. "the golden guardian of good".
Its Artwork also at times paid homage to golden age Supes, Shazam and Marvel man.

He has a serum like a lot of Golden age guys (Hourman springs to mind) did.

So why is he like Supes besides his powers, well Stan Lees back story. Rob Reynolds was the first and greatest. He taught the others about heroing, ring any bells yet.

So he has been created with uncle Stans false back story to be Marvels Supes, Marvel being Marvel they have to give him a twist, like most Marvel characters he has feet of clay, e.g. Tony's alcholism, or Hanks spouse abuse, he is an addict and he has a dark side........ like Warlock has the Magus, he has Void.

So whilst he is a Supes clone he is not as direct as say Hyperion or Gladiator, he is a mixture of more than one good idea. He has though undoubtedly been created to fill the "void" (coincidence) that marvel does not really have its Superguy.

Well thats my thoughts and opinion.

Keep the faith

quote: (post)

long pig
Sentry has been around since the 50's or 60's, I believe.

long pig
Well, people compair the two because Sentry seems like Marvel's "Uber everything" guy, and Superman is definatly DC's "uber everything" guy.

Plus the cape, and the S.
And the fact Sentry is an admitted rip off.

Scoobless
all4carnage, i meant that for scoobles, any character or feat can later found out to be a hoax or trick, but to say that we dont know if its a hoax or not n shouldnt believe in the power of sentry is stupid,

and it isn't stupid to believe something just because someone tells you something?

........i'm not saying he is or isn't as powerful as has been claimed... only that he hasn't proven anything yet

all4carnage
very true but do u believe the sentry to be the future chosen one to go up against superman in another marvel/dc battle ????

Scoobless
Originally posted by all4carnage
very true but do u believe the sentry to be the future chosen one to go up against superman in another marvel/dc battle ????

nah.... give Thor a whack at it.... if he's not dead that is

why didn't Iron Man get a match up last time?... he's one of Marvel's best

long pig
They wanted to show the similar characters of each company fight.
Ironman really only has Steel, who is similar, and nobody gives a damn about Steel.
Nope, no one.

all4carnage
true.......even with the sentry now in the picture i agree that thor should maybe still fight supermAN..........but......what about the wildcats coming to marvel???

all4carnage
i mean dc......lol sorry

Scoobless
Originally posted by long pig
They wanted to show the similar characters of each company fight.
Ironman really only has Steel, who is similar, and nobody gives a damn about Steel.
Nope, no one.

even so, Iron Man would have made a better match against either Wonder Woman or Superboy..... considering the power levels involved

Wanderer259
I actually prefer the Sentry to Superman; Supes is just more boring to me.

Mider
Sentry is so powerful cause the potion He takes brings His entire body into a hyperstate it was Spiderman i think who said He stalemated Galactus He has the power of supposidly 10,000 suns His evil counterpart was strong enough to hand The Hulk His ass and almost kill Him the X-men, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Spiderman and maybe more Hero's tried to stop The Void but i think only Sentry was strong enough.

Wanderer259
The Sentry IS the Void. That's why he's the only one that can stop it. And the only way to stop it was to no longer be the Sentry; he had to renounce his powers and memories.

long pig
Sentry is actually pretty cool, the story was well written and didn't have TOO many plotholes.

But seriously, did Marvel REALLY need another "uber everything" guy?

Unless they seriously depower him, I don't care what he does.

Mider
DC has more Uber everything guys dont it the diffrence is there not all goody tooshoes some of them know how to have fun :P I.E. The Endless, Lucifer Morningstar etc

all4carnage
well u can never get tired of new powerhouses coming into the picture....plus his story is interesting......just the way they brought him into the scene was awesome.......pretending he was a lost hero and how it went from it being a big lie that wizard went along with also......and how they used that to introduce him......the sentry is so cool....I'm going to love when they start making more sentry comics from his ongoing series...yay!

who?-kid
Originally posted by Scoobless
what exactly do you know about him?

other than what a few people said in his limited series... ie... he stalemated Galactus....

this could all be a hoax, his powers (or someone else's) could easily later be revealed to have hypnotized everyone to belive all that stuff

the only thing he has actually done is tear Carnage in half
Yeah I agree. Sentry is probably the most hyped superhero of the last years. He is - imo - overpowered and a bit boring.

all4carnage
SUPERMAN is a bit boring and a bit overpowered. its about time he has competition that might be able to take him out....well Thor can....but two people that can beat superman is better then one

whirlysplat
Stan Lee can't remeber creating him.

This site is interesting in regards to his background

http://www.popmatters.com/comics/sentry.shtml

It is spin and a publicity stunt.

Yes I am annoying smile

Originally posted by long pig
Sentry has been around since the 50's or 60's, I believe.

all4carnage
well that stunt was a creative way to introduce the sentry because even though we know it wasn't true they are still going along with it in the marvel universe and having all the marvel characters slowly remembering the golden hero....the sentry...

whirlysplat
well that stunt was a creative way to introduce the sentry because even though we know it wasn't true they are still going along with it in the marvel universe and having all the marvel characters slowly remembering the golden hero....the sentry...

I see so that makes it a publicity stunt (say it slowly) roll eyes (sarcastic)

Keep the faith big grin

all4carnage
Originally posted by whirlysplat
I see so that makes it a publicity stunt (say it slowly) roll eyes (sarcastic)

Keep the faith big grin
publicity stunt or not the sentry is going to be in the marvel universe to stay.......

whirlysplat
publicity stunt or not the sentry is going to be in the marvel universe to stay.......

big grin

Tony Stark
cool I think that if you can believe Reed Richards and Dr Strange... which i think we can The Sentry is surely capable of taking superman down for the count. Since IMO Silver Surfer can, Gladiator can, THOR can, Beta Ray can etc., and they are all in the Marvel Universe. The Sentry per Richards and Strange is the hands down Top Dawg. He should then be able to beat Superman any version IMO. cool

whirlysplat
Originally posted by Tony Stark
cool I think that if you can believe Reed Richards and Dr Strange... which i think we can The Sentry is surely capable of taking superman down for the count. Since IMO Silver Surfer can, Gladiator can, THOR can, Beta Ray can etc., and they are all in the Marvel Universe. The Sentry per Richards and Strange is the hands down Top Dawg. He should then be able to beat Superman any version IMO. cool

roll eyes (sarcastic) Tell me the page they said this roll eyes (sarcastic)

Tony Stark
roll eyes (sarcastic) Tell me the page they said this roll eyes (sarcastic)

Let me clarify they never said that he could beat Superman.

They did say that The Sentry is the most powerful superhero EVER. (Marvel Universe of course.)

I'm not sure what page. But i will look it up and get back to you tommorrow. cool

all4carnage
the sentry WILL be a thorn on the side of superman in the next marvel dc battle.....thats if they dont let thor finish him off first.....

DrDoom
Sentry wins this.

He's more like PrCrisis Superman. He stalemated Galactus (if you think Superman could do this you're smoking some strong stuff), plus like people have said already Reed Richards (marvel's smartest man) and Doc Strange (the #1 sorcerer on the planet and a powerful hero in his own right) said he is The. Strongest. Hero. On. Earth. Almost every hero is in awe of him when they are in his presence--he even taught a LOT of them how to be heroes.

That means he dwarfs Thor (who was arguably Marvel's most powerful Earth hero), Strange, Herc, WM, BB, Thing,Hulk etc.

Still, with all of the hype built around him, Bendis had better write a damned good story.

ZephroCarnelian
PreCrisis Supes would beat him.

Current Supes would get creamed beyond belief.

juggernaut74

.....thats if they dont let thor finish him off first..... Thor tried that already and didnt have any luck.

whirlysplat
Originally posted by Tony Stark
Let me clarify they never said that he could beat Superman.

They did say that The Sentry is the most powerful superhero EVER. (Marvel Universe of course.)

I'm not sure what page. But i will look it up and get back to you tommorrow. cool

Still waiting!

whirlysplat
We know nothing beyond the narrator and a few flashbacks.

big grin

all4carnage
Originally posted by juggernaut74
Thor tried that already and didn't have any luck.
they didn't let that battle go on long enough....there was to many things going on at once. I'm not saying Thor would win by a landslide but in the end Thor would get the best of sup in the end.....and if the sentry is marvels top hero superman is in trouble......if sup had a tuff time with Thor imagine the sentry

whirlysplat
He wasted him big grinOriginally posted by all4carnage
they didn't let that battle go on long enough....there was to many things going on at once. I'm not saying Thor would win by a landslide but in the end Thor would get the best of sup in the end.....and if the sentry is marvels top hero superman is in trouble......if sup had a tuff time with Thor imagine the sentry

DrDoom

That's because they wrote him like a dumbass. The first half of the fight went like it should have:

Thor--who is used to physically overpowering his opponents tries to out-muscle Superman. Sounds like a good plan. Only one problem: like Superman said "Looks like on MY world the dials go up to eleven!!" which reflected DC's earth characters being physically stronger than Marvel's earth characters (Hulk excluded).

Ok, so Thor is getting out-muscled, but manages to knock Superman into a tree...here is where the bad writing kicked in. Superman lets loose his heat vision, and Thor gets a chestful. Naturally, Thor then uses his hammer to block the heat vis--wait, no he doesn't HE KEEPS CHARGING HIM LIKE A MORON!

Thor has been blocking **** with his hammer for DECADES (centuries if you go by Marvel history), yet in this heated battle (which both teams believed would cost them their universe) he goes stupid and tries to power thru the heat vision (which you could see was hurting him)? Bull****. They just had him do that so he would be weak enough for Superman to cold cock him afterwards for the KO.

If it had been the "real" Thor he would've blocked the heat vision and said some **** like "We shall see if thine heat rays can withstand the power of mighty Mjolnir!!" and let loose some mystic lighting--like he always does when the going gets rough. They just had Thor eat it because he was a 2nd-tier Marvel character and it would make DC look bad if their top gun got whooped.

Same thing happened with Herc and WW, but to a lesser extent.

Ah well, at least they let Thor show that he was gonna put a big hurt on Supes when he gets a rematch. I'm sure Superman is going to LOVE Aquaman for giving Thor intel...

Don't get it twisted, Supes is my favorite DC char--I just hate it when one character should logically lose to another character, but they don't due to popularity.

juggernaut74
Originally posted by DrDoom

That's because they wrote him like a dumbass.
I just dont see why it so hard to grasp the fact that Superman could take Thor.

Juggernaut and Hulk give Thor hell all of the time. Superman is out of both of their leagues.

DrDoom
We know nothing beyond the narrator and a few flashbacks.

big grin

Yeah, but that's Marvel saying all of that stuff. I mean, they don't have to show Hulk bowling with asteroids so you could know "he's the strongest there is." They just say he is, just like they talk about Sentry's ludicrous amount of power.

DrDoom
I just dont see why it so hard to grasp the fact that Superman could take Thor.

Juggernaut and Hulk give Thor hell all of the time. Superman is out of both of their leagues.

I never said he couldn't. Other people are just hardcore fanboys who don't want to see thier favorite lose.

Juggs and (to a much,much lesser extent) Hulk have a resistance to magic. Big Blue doesn't.

In Supes vs. Thor threads I said that Superman could pummel Thor, but it would be over if he unleashed his mystical lightning. It's magic and that's one of his weaknesses, and Mjolnir gives of VERY powerful energy blasts so he would get pummeled by a mystic storm and go down for the count.

Still, if Thor tried to throw his hammer, Superman could zip in and work him. Thor's victory hinges on Mjolnir, with it he'd win 7/10. Without it Superman would own his soul Shang Tsung style.

juggernaut74
Nobody in invulernable to magic.

Not even Juggernaut or the Hulk. Magic is just one way to slow down Superman. Superman has dealt with beings more magically powerful than Thor.

DrDoom
Nobody in invulernable to magic.

Not even Juggernaut or the Hulk. Magic is just one way to slow down Superman. Superman has dealt with beings more magically powerful than Thor.

Who said invulnerable? I said they have a resistance, which is more than Superman has. Resistance=/=invulnerable.

Yes, weaker magic can slow Superman down--stronger magic can kill him. Thor making a big ass storm raining down lightning on him, while using hurricane force winds and vortexes to keep him disoriented would take Superman out. If he really, really had to, there's always his godly essence blast. Mjolnir has powerful mojo--more than enough to KO Superman.

whirlysplat
Read the quote

Originally posted by DrDoom

Thor has been blocking **** with his hammer for DECADES (centuries if you go by Marvel history), yet in this heated battle (which both teams believed would cost them their universe) he goes stupid and tries to power thru the heat vision (which you could see was hurting him)? Bull****. They just had him do that so he would be weak enough for Superman to cold cock him afterwards for the KO.

So whos Supes b***h now roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing

DrDoom
Apparently Marvel for bowing down to him. I love Supes, but it was still cruddy of them to invoke the "popularity clause".

Seriously, Superman was all wobbly after he popped Thor, but it took Vision, She-Hulk,Wonderman, Iron man, AND Hercules (with his adamantium mace) to put him down? big grin

all4carnage
superman is a great hero .......but hes a big homo.......superman most die......sentry or thor will do the job

whirlysplat
superman is a great hero .......but hes a big homo.......superman most die......sentry or thor will do the job

Lois is female(supes love life is well documented) Would it make him a bad person if he was gay? big grin Apollo is Gay and is still a very cool character!

Keep the faith rock Stay tolerant cool

leonheartmm
NOT EVEN A MATCHUP WORTHY OF SENTRY'S POWERS.

whirlysplat
NOT EVEN A MATCHUP WORTHY OF SENTRY'S POWERS.

roll eyes (sarcastic) Won't we big grin

juggernaut74
I think Marvel is gonna make him uberly powerful just so people cant say Superman will win.

But at the end of the day Superman will always be the industries icon(along with Batman ofcourse).

whirlysplat
I think Marvel is gonna make him uberly powerful just so people cant say Superman will win.

But at the end of the day Superman will always be the industries icon(along with Batman ofcourse).

and to give Marvel their due Spidey and the Xmen big grin

Keep the faithrockkeep it whirlyangel

juggernaut74
Well they are icons no doubt.

But not on the level of Superman/Batman.

kgkg

I don't think he will remain as strong as people say (like spidy etc)

But he will defiantly be stronger than Superman / Thor

all4carnage
i respect superman,thor,spiderman,batman,hulk,and so on and so on.....cant we all get along....lol im looking forward to the sentry in the future

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.