Was it "weak" to not have written some saber action scenes for the suited Vader?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Eddy Urquia
It would have been nice for George Lucas to have written in a small suited Vader and Obiwan lightsaber confrontation in RotS? I hate to hypothesize, but after waiting nine years and three movies, and to have left the creation of suited Vader to the last 10 min of the film was a bit disappointing to a SW Original Trilogy Fan who has patiently waited for the "rise" of this character to see him breath and walk for two minutes screen time.

Recomendation Alert: It would have been nice for the Big L to have scripted in that Anakin was repaired right on a medical site, on the valcanic planet Mustafar! And, that in later scene when Obiwan opens a sliding door in another location, ala Empire Strikes back, the vision of a suited Vader! A quick lightsabert battle ensues between them leading a weak obiwan to escape "ala" a jump for your life like Luke in Empire. there you go, I didn't even charge the stingy Lucas, and I think WE ALL WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HAVE SEEN A SUITED VADER VS OBIWAN QUICKY SABER DUEL. ANYWAY YOU LOOK AT IT< LUCAS SHOULD HAVE TURNED ANAKIN A BIT EARLIAR IN RotS AND PUSHED IN A SUIT VADER VS OBI DUEL. "YOU KNOW THIS BE TRUE"(EpV, Empire)

SithSpy
Thank you your idea will be forwarded directly to mr. Lucas

NOTE: your idea IS totally plausable, after all most ppl are ready and willing to engage in a heated sabre battle mere minutes after having their limbs replaced and being but in a mobile iron lung.....recoup time?? who needs it

DarkYoda
Do you really think a suited Vader could match Obi-Wan after sustaining the kind of injuries he had? Do you really think Obi-Wan would just stick around for days for Vader to be rebuilt? The whole facility was falling apart when they left.

Besides, you completely missed the point. Suited Vader is not as powerful as Anakin, hooded Vader. Anakin was the Emperor's prize. Mechanical Vader was not.

smoker4
I dont think the merchandising helped much with this, everything had Vader on it

SithSpy
True true, but thats a buisness decision, vaders image is the most bankable...its like when that movie Scream came out, Drew Barrymore was the biggest star in it, she was in the preview, on the posters, everything, yet she was only in it for about 5 min. Its just a variation on the ole' bait and switch

bill9d9
Originally posted by smoker4
I dont think the merchandising helped much with this, everything had Vader on it

Yup. Good ole' bait and switch. Not surprised, though. It is all about the money.........

Darth_Nefarus
Do you really think he could do much at that point? He did just suffer a lava bath and get cybernetic enhancements, I'd be pretty friggin worn out after that.

However, it would have been cool to see him fight at least one Jedi

smoker4
Dollar, dollar bill ya'llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Ew the Wu smokin'

DarkYoda
What we SHOULD have seen was a great lightsaber duel between Anakin-Vader and a great Jedi in the temple.

I guess some people don't understand what Obi-Wan meant when he said, "A YOUNG jedi NAMED Darth Vader, who was a PUPIL of mine before he turned to evil, HELPED the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights."

Eddy Urquia
NO vader duel in new prequels? If i would have known this when he started i would have taken this differently. "No lightspeed?" Ep IV
" No Vader?" in a duel using todays visual effects. I AM DISAPPOINTED!

Eddy Urquia
Originally posted by DarkYoda
What we SHOULD have seen was a great lightsaber duel between Anakin-Vader and a great Jedi in the temple.

I guess some people don't understand what Obi-Wan meant when he said, "A YOUNG jedi named Darth Vader, who was a PUPIL of mine before he turned to evil, HELPED the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights."

Direct Hit! Master Yoda from the darkside. I know he could have fiddled with the script, but like all writers, I bet he was writing againt the clock, with no time to be crafty and follow old quotes. Good strike der, yoda.

DarkYoda
Not to mention, it is much more emotional to see a human-Vader kill people than what basically amounts to a machine killing everybody. What the prequels were meant to do was show the man behind the mask, since we knew very little. Not to show more of the mask.

ShadowKing
Say...day's later before Padme's funeral...as above...somewhere, a door opens for Obi-Wan and standing before him, silohuetted in the bright light of Naboo is the dark form of Vader (Obi-Wan and any other surviving Jedi are still blind to the future because of the shift in the balance of the Force to the Dark Side). A Classic battle ensues...Anakin is still pissed off at losing his parts...Obi is taken aback but has time to monologue "...don't do this! She's dead because of you! She believed there was good left in you! You've been given a second chance to defeat the Sith..search your feelings!"

Vader - " I AM SITH!"

More battle until Vader views the prepared form of Padme in her open coffin. Vader is stunned to silence, behind him, Clone Troopers start to gather...armed and aiming at Obi-Wan.

Obi - "...Vader, I feel the good in you, as she did"

The Clones open fire as Obi makes some kind of daring escape, finds a ship and leaves.

Vader - "Leave now.....we will meet again and you will die."

Ta-Da!

(This kind of dialogue would make more sense of the scene in ROTJ when Vader tells Luke, "Obi-Wan once thought as you do..."

DarkYoda
I think at that point in the movie, it would not have served any point but to take away from the story. The DUEL was the climax. Anything else would have been anti-climatic.

What we need is Episode 3.5. I know there is a classic story there that could be told with just a little imagination. 20 years!!!

In your heart of hearts, you know Obi-Wan must have tried to do something during that time. Perhaps Yoda too.

But especially Obi-Wan. If Anakin was really like a brother to him, he surely would have tried again to help him.

And I am confident that Vader is made to PROVE himself to the Emperor after his blunder on Mustafar.

mysterio69
oh my stars. does anyone remember the dialogue between obi-wan and vader in ep 4? that would completely rule out a duel right AFTER obi-wan sliced anakin into mince meat.

Eddy Urquia
Originally posted by mysterio69
oh my stars. does anyone remember the dialogue between obi-wan and vader in ep 4? that would completely rule out a duel right AFTER obi-wan sliced anakin into mince meat.

I of all people hate to admit it, but mysteriouso got it! he took us out ! It would ruin the "circle is now complete line". negating the effect between Ep III and IV when they meet for the first time after the famous deul. THIS ROOM HAS BEEN>>>>EXORCIZED!

The Last Son
I agree that the obi/ani battle was fine. However, I would have loved to see Darth Vader in the suit, go out and hunt any rogue jedi in pure rage. Leading squads of stormtroopers (when do they get that name?) to various planets engaging hidden Jedi. That would have been a better climax than the scene of the death star that took 19 years to build.

Jedi Styles
I agree with the topic.. It would have been great to see the suited Darth Vader wield terror with a lightsaber....

It was gay that he only stood with his arms folded watching the Death Star getting built....Also, If you watched Episode IV, V and VI... Vader never stood with his arms folded... Always put his hands on his belt... More of powerul stance I think than folded arms...

Also on another note, Didn't everyone seem to think that the time frame from the finishing of the surgery on Darth Vader to the Construction of the Death Star was rather Rapid...

Once scene you see him all Suited, next he's there watching the Death Star get built... Does this mean that Palpatine had it underconstruction before he recruited vader?

Delta 62
I thought it was done perfectly. Episode III was to show HOW be came to be in the suit. We saw enough duels with him in the suit in IV-VI.

In the novel the suit and Vader's physical repairs were said to have taken many days. By the time the Death Star had reached that stage perhaps Vader's suit had been completed. I doubt it took the Empire 19 years to finish it..they probably just kept it hidden or something..

jerlark386
Somehow I dont see a suited Vader doing flips over peoples head or any other gymnastic tricks. Though it would be comical, I must admit. I dont think any suited vader duels would be quite up to par with any of the previous in PT.

Captain REX
Pfft, if you want more Vader, just go watch the OT continuously. Or make a picture flip-book out of Vader promo-shots.

As DarkYoda said, this was about who was BEHIND the mask, not the mask itself. It was not to show more Vader.

Hell, I was satisfied just hearing the angry groans that Vader emitted when he stumbled off the table, that kind of "Grah!" he tends to make when he is kicked or falls back or is hit by his son during the duels.

vader519
Ther was no need to see any Vader fight scenes at all. This movie is about Anakin turning to the darside and becoming Darth Vader, and how he has to wear the suit.

SithKiller
Vader doesnt flip he leaps straight forwar unless flipping is necessary...Qui-gon felt same way....Vader was enhanced to supercede former abilities to make up for physical ablities force would have enhanced....he was every bit of the force menace he could have been if not sliced and diced by OBI......and I am in no way a sith lover.....just read EU comics...lol

SithKiller
George Lucas is a freak...my exgirlfriend met him...she is now SS' girlfriened just ask him...LMAO

SithKiller
Hes my friend as well as devildodo's ...lol...he introduced us...lol

SithKiller
uh oh I triple posted time to go back to Queeqs....and drink....lol...drunk

mysterio69
Originally posted by Eddy Urquia
I of all people hate to admit it, but mysteriouso got it! he took us out ! It would ruin the "circle is now complete line". negating the effect between Ep III and IV when they meet for the first time after the famous deul. THIS ROOM HAS BEEN>>>>EXORCIZED!

and also, when vader said "when i left you, i was but a learner, now i am the master." and obi-wan replies "only a master of evil, darth." doesn't it sound like he's using "darth" like it's a first name? i always got a chuckle outta that.
and besides, vader could never be what he was before the suit. that's one of the sad things, eh? in ep III, he was complaining that he's not the jedi he should be. well, he ain't gonna be living up to his potential without any real extremities, is he? it would be downright silly to see him run around in the suit.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.