Did Geaorge Lucas take ideas from the Lost in Space Movie?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Eddy Urquia
In RotS, george Lucas , or his designers, seem to be viewing a lot of sci-fi dvd's before deciding on the choices for conceptual desings for his ships and characters. For instance, in Lost in Space the movie, at the beggining Major west is flying in a bubble pod fighter that is similar to Mr. Lucas's trade federation bubble fighter in RotS. take a look at both of them , although different, they are both glass bubble cocpits. Also, in that same scene, Major West's partner is experiencing enginge failure in his bubble fighter and is gliding towards impacting with a station, like Obiwan gliding helplessly towards Greivous's ship. Even worse, Major west bumps his partners bubble fighter in order for him not to collide with space station, Anakin also bumps Obiwan as to help him clear the closing airlosks. Another interesting theft of ideas from Lost in Space the movie to RotS is the character of Prof smith. remeber when Prof Smith was bitten by space spiders and he later turns into some spider being that HAS FOUR HANDS, like General Greivous has four hands. Also, the Robbison's young boy "Will Robbison" was a smart cute kid that could build things like when the ships robot was destroyed he saved its brain and built it a new body...hmmmml....Like young Anakin builds and repairs?
ONE FINAL NOTE: This bit of information is the most detrimental and undermining for the claim that Lucas stole a lot of ideas from Lost in Space the movie! Well, lost in Space the movie came out two yrs prior to Phantom Mence. Also. note: those who would like to take the opposite position could debate the date of these movies release to figure who was stealing whoms ideas.

JKozzy
Maybe, maybe not.

DenKi
i thorght he copied the matrix movies

Otaku_Sith
Know it was inspired on Hidden Fortress by Akira Toriyama,or at least i thought so.

Robin Darkside
Lucas got ideas from everything, in OT and PT. its nothing new

brendy
i heard he got his ideas from a fortune cookie and a magic 8-ball.

Reborn Again
Of course they did. And so did Star Trek. ST took the transporter from Buck Rogers. The cast even said Lucas took from other sci-fi movies.

SithKiller
He used the chosen drink to guide him....beer

ShadowKing
ahem...every science fiction movie since 1977 owes every penny it ever made to Lucas...he opened the door to all of the fantasy films made since...and I believe ILM, Skywalker Sound, and other divisions of Lucasfilm have worked on just about every huge sci-fi fantasy film since (exception of LOTR trilogy)

Lost in Space! Are you screwing with us!homer

tpaquin
He stole John Williams from Lost in Space. That was Williams' first major job.

Eddy Urquia
Originally posted by ShadowKing
ahem...every science fiction movie since 1977 owes every penny it ever made to Lucas...he opened the door to all of the fantasy films made since...and I believe ILM, Skywalker Sound, and other divisions of Lucasfilm have worked on just about every huge sci-fi fantasy film since (exception of LOTR trilogy)

Lost in Space! Are you screwing with us!homer

Dude are you for real! you teloling me every space fantasy is George Lucas's exclusive province. You are not very smart. It is clear that the movie Lost in Space came out in 1998 and Phantom mence 1999, and Rots 2005...so i noted the moments where Lucas clearly stole ideas from. In Rots anakin bunps Obiwans slapceship in order to save him. In Lost in Space MOVIE 1998 major west bumps his budies pod fighter in order to save him from a collisin similar to Obiwan. I noted the similarity with the spider bitten Prof. Smith, and end of the movie he reviels his new self as a Spider like creature that opens up and expands into four armed creature. I noted youg Wil Robison's similarity to young anakin skywalker and their shared ability to function with tech stuff and biuld a robot . remeber Wil Robison save Robots brain and builds a new Robot, Danger Danger! Anakin in Phantom Menace builds C3po. TOO CLOSE TO CALL MY ASStrodroid. He took from these films, clearly. And you my frien seem too ignorant avout ,not only the subject/topic, that I believe that it has clouded your vision my friend. " Now, go to the command ship and await my orders"(Ep, VI) You say lucas should be given all credit, and it is everyone else who copies him and takes from his ideas? No one else is creative? LotR Gollum..."Thief, thief..he stole it from us. He stole the//precious"

DarkYoda
Perhaps... but Lucas' execution was WAY better. I saw Lost In Space ONCE. I haven't watched it since. It was a crappy movie (imo). I'd have to watch it again to fully realize what you are saying.

What I'm surprised no one has brought up is the similarity between General Grievous and Doctor Octopus. Both have 4 mechanical arms.

If I remember right though, didn't Lost In Space have a countdown sequence? A New Hope was THE movie that popularized the countdown sequence.

And Lucas ripping people off... nothing new. Luke Skywalker was originally going to be a little person. You know... like FRODO BAGGINS! laughing

Tulak Hord
Doc Ock would Own Grevious.

DarkYoda
I wonder if Grievous would have faired better against Obi-Wan if his lung had not been crushed by Mace Windu.

Red Superfly
Lost In Space isn't even as good as Pauly Shore. That's how rubbish it is.

Tulak Hord
This is my fault, he won't stop..

Red Superfly
No, I'll stop. I cast Pauly Shore to the darkside of the moon. Be gone with him!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.