is there a time gap?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jayno
At the end of ROTS, we see vader grand moff tarkin and the emperor looking out on to the construction of the death star. All the imperials are suited as in ANH, the star destoyers are like the ones in ANH and not the republic ones.

Is there supposed to be a slight time jump here from when we see the birth of vader?

martyr
No at that point they had been working secretly on the death star. That is why they were mining on mustafar. The emperor had everything in line for himself. He' was a very tricky guy.

SixOfTwelve
Originally posted by Darth Jayno
Is there supposed to be a slight time jump here from when we see the birth of vader?

Good question. I don't think we ever see Imperial/former Republic fleet admirals, captains and somesuch in their uniforms before, or do we? If not, they may always have looked like that, and we just didn't get to see them.

alienfreakjim
Were the Star Destroyers the same as in ANH??
I thought they were the normal EP3/Republic Star Destroyers, if memory serves....

Red Superfly
Emperor obviously got out his Yellow Pages:

"Hi there, I'd like to order one million officer uniforms and a hundred billion gallons of grey paint, lightspeed delivery please."

"Here's a brush and overalls Vader, get painting"

This explains what Vader was up to just before he meets up with Palpatine and Tarkin on the Star Destroyer.

Oswald Kenobi
I'm sure there was some recovery for Vader at the end of the movie. Maybe a few weeks or a couple of months.

tlbauerle
Anyone else think Tarkin looked like a bobble head?

drex
yeah he did, he looked well dodgy.

He also aged loads in between the films!

SithSpy
I think this may be just that we hadnt seen any head crew, in the novelazation obi and ani talk to a officer named needa (i belive), dont know if its the same as the one in ANH tho', anyway they are there just not on screen

palpy_666
Originally posted by drex
yeah he did, he looked well dodgy.

He also aged loads in between the films!

Tarkin was probably about 40 or 50 in III. That means he would be about 60 or 70 in IV... that seems correct to me.

Anyways, I think that Palpatine had been secretly recruiting and training people (not personally) to be those Imperial Officers and such. Perhaps their training took place on some remote moon? This could be the only logical statement seeing that they were all suited up and working like they knew exactly what they were doing. There was no time jump because right after that scene we see Bail arriving on Alderaan with an infant Leia. If there was a time jump, surely she wouldn't look like a new born.

smoker4
Originally posted by palpy_666
Tarkin was probably about 40 or 50 in III. That means he would be about 60 or 70 in IV... that seems correct to me.

Anyways, I think that Palpatine had been secretly recruiting and training people (not personally) to be thos Imperial Officers and such. Perhaps their training took place on some remote moon? This could be the only logical statement seeing that they were all suited up and working like they knew exactly what they were doing. There was no time jump because right after that scene we see Bail arriving on Alderaan with an infant Leia. If there was a time jump, surely she wouldn't look like a todler.

No, they would be republic officers who are now enlisted in the Empire just like the clones and tarkin is a Grand Moff

SithSpy
Yeah! What he said ^^

Darth Jaybo
Now that is a very good point!

SixOfTwelve
Originally posted by SithSpy
I think this may be just that we hadnt seen any head crew, in the novelazation obi and ani talk to a officer named needa (i belive), dont know if its the same as the one in ANH tho', anyway they are there just not on screen

He does identify himself as Lorth Needa, which is (yes, EU, I know) apparently the same guy who becomes Captain Needa later.
http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/captainlorthneeda/

BNCap
I'm just surprised by how much Obi-Wan ages in 20 years.

Let's see, he's supposed to be ~38 I suppose in ROTS. Which makes him 58 in ANH. Well, um, Alec Guiness does not look 58 yrs old. Perhaps living in the desert has been hard on him or something ... too much sun?

Also Sebastian Shaw looks old in ROTJ but there's not telling what using the dark side and living in a walking lung will do to your complextion wink

maybe this isn't the right post for these types of questions though....

SixOfTwelve
Originally posted by BNCap
I'm just surprised by how much Obi-Wan ages in 20 years.

Let's see, he's supposed to be ~38 I suppose in ROTS. Which makes him 58 in ANH. Well, um, Alec Guiness does not look 58 yrs old. Perhaps living in the desert has been hard on him or something ... too much sun?

Well, Alec Guinness was born in 1914, so in 1976, when (I presume) ANH was shot, he was about 62. Close enough to 58 I guess, but I have to agree he looks a lot older in the movie.
Tarkin's line of "Surely he must be dead by now" didn't help matters - as a kid I always thought Obi was around 70 to 80 or so... smile

Sebastian Shaw, on the other hand, was apparently born in 1905 and thus must have been around 77ish when ROTJ was filmed. Whoa.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.