US Gov't shuts down pirated EP 3 web page

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bill9d9
And I thought they were talking about SS at first....laughing out loud

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/25/AR2005052501467_pf.html

StinkFist462
joy ? pirates suck .

Captain REX
Yeah they do, why bother hacking it off the net when you can just be a true fan and go watch the damned thing? no expression

SuperShadow got hacked though. laughing out loud

StinkFist462
laughing out loud loser

its not much to ask for to spare a couple hours of your life and 10$ for the greatest movie this year

forumcrew
most people who have copies of this did see it in the theater a lot of them were prolly in line for hours but you can only afford to see it in theaters so many times and you cant rewind and go back and check things.. so a lot of hardcore fans download it for that reason which doesnt cost the movie industry any money look at the records it broke, you think pirating hurt it?

StinkFist462
somewhat.

EHmasterJedi
whats the difference really between this and what we've been doing the last 3 years i mean yeah its different cause the movie is out but it wont be in the theater the hole time till the DVD, and quite frankly downloading it off the web wouldnt even begin to make me consider not seeing it in the theater. lol heck id LIKE to have it and ive already seen the movie 3 times in the theater and plan on going back

Darth Jello
wait, homeland security is doing this? wow, i'd say that the MPAA, RIAA, and the US government are the bigger pirates here (especially since by definition, the very existance of the MPAA and RIAA is illegal under US law)

darthmaul1
Downloading the movies does not hurt the movie industry what so ever. Unless people are actually selling it and you buy it. then they are making a profit off of illegal stuff. anyone who downloads a movie and can watch it in crap quality will not pay to see it in the theater or to get the DVD. so the movies are not losing anything there. the same goes for the tv shows that the companies are getting pissed because people are downloading the shows of the net, umm you can tape them off the TV it's the same thing until you start charging people for it.

Oswald Kenobi
Originally posted by darthmaul1
Downloading the movies does not hurt the movie industry what so ever. Unless people are actually selling it and you buy it. then they are making a profit off of illegal stuff. anyone who downloads a movie and can watch it in crap quality will not pay to see it in the theater or to get the DVD. so the movies are not losing anything there. the same goes for the tv shows that the companies are getting pissed because people are downloading the shows of the net, umm you can tape them off the TV it's the same thing until you start charging people for it.

That's flawed logic. The problem is people who download movies and don't go see them in the theater that cost the film industry money. Television companies make money off of advertising and syndication. The ad money is based on rating. If you're downloading shows off the internet, you're not watching them on TV. If you record a TV show, you're still watching it, at least with a cable box.

kremzike
I know someone who spent a huge amount of money to see the movie a week early, then saw it 3 more times on opening weekend, and though this person has downloaded the film and watched it a few times already on their computer, they have plans to go see it twice more in theaters this week.

While everyone might not see it as many times as this person, I still believe that at least 99% of the people who have downloaded it have seen it in theaters at least once, and a large number of them have most likely seen it more than that. Judging by ROTS's numbers so far, the leak didn't hurt it one bit.

And the person i'm talking about? He is also just way f*cking awesome. wink

Oswald Kenobi
Originally posted by kremzike
I know someone who spent a huge amount of money to see the movie a week early, then saw it 3 more times on opening weekend, and though this person has downloaded the film and watched it a few times already on their computer, they have plans to go see it twice more in theaters this week.

While everyone might not see it as many times as this person, I still believe that at least 99% of the people who have downloaded it have seen it in theaters at least once, and a large number of them have most likely seen it more than that. Judging by ROTS's numbers so far, the leak didn't hurt it one bit.

And the person i'm talking about? He is also just way f*cking awesome. wink

Star Wars is the exception to the rule. It seems that leaking the movie beforehand just spreads word of mouth. After all, Star Wars just isn't the same on the small screen.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Oswald Kenobi
That's flawed logic. The problem is people who download movies and don't go see them in the theater that cost the film industry money. Television companies make money off of advertising and syndication. The ad money is based on rating. If you're downloading shows off the internet, you're not watching them on TV. If you record a TV show, you're still watching it, at least with a cable box.

How is that flawed?? I said anyone who downloads a movie and can watch it in crap quality will not pay to see it in the theater or to get the DVD any way so it makes no difference.

kremzike
Star Wars is the exception to the rule. It seems that leaking the movie beforehand just spreads word of mouth. After all, Star Wars just isn't the same on the small screen.

Indeed.

SithKiller
Screw it they should just give away some kinda non dvd convertable copy for your pc when you go pay to see the movie....It costs me a minumum of $40 for the theatre.....family: food drinks tickets...etc...I think if I had high speed I should be able to d/l a copy or something...give my ticket number for d/l yeah that would work...anyways I paid and i plan on buying complete dvd set of all 6 movies when they are released regardless of if I come upon a pc version in the meantime...that is a good idea though....ah maybe not who cares Im goin to bed nite all!

Fishy
How is that flawed?? I said anyone who downloads a movie and can watch it in crap quality will not pay to see it in the theater or to get the DVD any way so it makes no difference.

99% of the movies that people download aren't crap...

This SW3 online isn't crap either, on your TV it actually looks good, the sound is still great so it makes no difference

DenKi

Red Superfly
The Episode III pirates I've seen are good. I think it has something to do with the fact a Digitial Print would be a lot easier to rip and knock off.

I'm sure everyones been to see it. Only idiots get it on pirate before seeing it in the pictures.

Besides, I need the sound. I'm gonna go watch it again in the cinema just to hear it.

jaden101
you get a message at torrentspy now when you search for revenge of the sith

This search query has been blocked at the request of the copyright holder, in compliance with
the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"wink

Oswald Kenobi

That just simply isn't true. People will go see a movie in the theater or buy the DVD if the film interests them. And why would they download it if it didn't interest them? Eventually they break down or they wait to watch it on cable. Either way, they're paying for it.

Sadako of Girth
I concurr, Oswald Kenobi...

DaveTheHutt
As someone who works in an industry (game, not movie) that suffers a lot from piracy, I hate pirates with a passion.

I can't understand why these spoilt children think they have some sort of inalienable 'right' to free entertainment on demand. If I've worked hard to create something, why should I give it away free to less talented morons?

I particularly hate those idiots who justify their greedy and selfish act of theft by making out it's some sort of anti-capitalist strike against the 'evil multinationals'. Right....

If you feel that strongly about it, why not go to your local Walmart, steal a load of DVDs and redistribute them - or would that mean you'd have to come from behind the safe anonymity of your PC and deal with real people, who get upset when things are stolen from them.

I've got friends who are out of work due in part to piracy. Piracy means that lower selling games sell even less, meaning they become less viable to produce, which means many companies stop producing them and focus production on 'guaranteed hits'.

Thus there are less projects going around and so people get laid off. Moreover, the projects that do get the go-ahead tend to be mainstream crowd pleasers, which means piracy not only reduces profit but also limits creativity.

And it's the same deal with movies, music, whatever.... So well done, you urban warriors - you're really hitting 'the man' where it hurts.

Idiots.

Fishy

DaveTheHutt
Ah, the usual roster of self-justifying 'I'm not the nasty villain, they are' arguments.

Look, I'd like a Porsche, but that doesn't mean I'm going to steal one.

Your noble bum *needs* food and drink to live. You, on the other hand, don't *need* games, or movies, or music, or whatever to survive - you just want them now and you want them free. You're being selfish and greedy.

I agree games are too expensive (although the prices have been stable for years, so in real terms they're cheaper than they've ever been) but the majority of pirates would still download stuff for free if they could no matter how cheap it was. Look at music piracy - you can download tracks legally for less than 70p, yet piracy is still a huge problem.

And as for the 'most games suck' argument - grow up! 90% of everything is crap - it's a fact of life and that's what reviewers and demos are for, to help you sort the wheat from the chaff. No-one's forcing you to buy every game going, so cherry pick... Aaaah, but you want to play every game, don't you, so you can whine to your 'friends' on the forums about how Game X is crap and Game Y is awesome? So ultimately it's just greed once again.

If I randomly buy a book and discover it's crap, does that now mean I have the right to steal every other book I see? No - I should've read the reviews, done some research to find out if it's the sort of book I'd like - you know, like an intelligent person would.

It's not a circular argument, Fishy - piracy is stealing, no matter how you cut out. Just because you can do it without any serious risk of being caught doesn't make it okay, just the crime of choice for weak, greedy cowards.

Hutt out

Sadako of Girth
Just curious about your views on taping stuff off of TV (Movies) and Music off of the radio...

And are we to take it then that you've never done that...even once?

darthmaul1
That just simply isn't true. People will go see a movie in the theater or buy the DVD if the film interests them. And why would they download it if it didn't interest them? Eventually they break down or they wait to watch it on cable. Either way, they're paying for it.
you are misinterpriting what i'm saying
obviously if people like star wars they will go see it in the theater, but if you download it and watch it without going to the theater, you would of probably of never gone to the theater in the first place any way. so there is no loss of money for the theater.

smoker4
pirate

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.